Menu

The Class of 2024 College Acceptance Thread

JennyD

It's time for everyone's favorite thread!  PM me or post your info below.  Decisions in bold.

Amherst College, DS of kokotg

Auburn University, DS of Clemsondana 

Baylor University, DS of blue plaid

Bowling Green State University, DS of cintinative

Clemson University, DS of Clemsondana

Coe College, DD of historically accurate

Colby College, DS of kokotg

Dillard University, DC of Dmmetler

Duke University, DS of mirabillis

Eastern Kentucky University, DD of MagistraKennedy

Emory University, DS of kokotg

Franciscan University of Steubenville, DD of MagistraKennedy

Grinnell College, DS of kokotg

Hamilton College, DS of kokotg

James Madison University, DS of UmmIbrahim; DS of VAMomtoboys

Lawrence University, DS of kokotg

Lincoln University, DC of Dmmetler

Lindenwood University, DC of Dmmetler

Miami University (Ohio), DS of cintinative

Morehead State University, DD of MagistraKennedy

Murray State University, DD of MagistraKennedy

North Carolina State University, DS of UmmIbrahim

Northern Kentucky University, DD of MagistraKennedy

Oberlin College, DS of kokotg

Old Dominion University, DS of scbusf

Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology, DS of Clemsondana; DS of UmmIbrahim

Rutgers University, New Brunswick, DS of UmmIbrahim

St. Catherine University, DC of historically accurate

St. Olaf College, DS of kokotg

Swarthmore College, DS of JennyD

Tennessee Tech University, DS of Clemsondana

The Ohio State University, DS of Acorn

United States Military Academy West Point, DS of Doodlebug

University of Alabama, DS of JennyD

University of Alabama - Huntsville, DS of Clemsondana

University of California, Berkeley, DS of SanDiegoMom

University of California, Davis, DS of SanDiegoMom

University of California, Irvine, DS of SanDiegoMom

University of California, Los Angeles, DS of SanDiegoMom

University of California, San Diego, DCs of SanDiegoMom

University of California, Santa Barbara, DCs of SanDiegoMom

University of California, Santa Cruz, DCs of SanDiegoMom

University of Cincinnati, DS of cintinative

University of Florida, DD of chiguirre (January 2024 start)

University of Georgia, DS of kokotg

University of Kansas, DS of blueplaid

University of Kentucky, DD of MagistraKennedy

University of Maryland, College Park, DS of UmmIbrahim

University of Tennessee - Knoxville, DS of Clemsondana

University of Virginia, DS of UmmIbrahim; DS of VAMomtoboys

University of Wisconsin, Madison, DS of UmmIbrahim

Vassar College, DS of kokotg

Virginia Tech, DS of Clemsondana; DS of UmmIbrahim; DS of VAMomtoboys

Western Kentucky University, DD of MagistraKennedy

Wright State University, DS of cintinative

Edited by JennyD
  • Like 14

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

DS18 got his notice of acceptance to his first choice school today. He does still have to do an audition to be admitted to the music program (for guitar), but he is planning to double major in music technology, as well, so he can go there, even if he doesn't get accepted into the music department (I think he will, but we will see).

He only completed that one application, because there are limited schools that offered the combo of programs that he wants. There are a couple of others that he could apply to, but I think he might be One and Done.

• Like 16

Kiddo was accepted to UA-Huntsville and Auburn so far.  Both were about 10 days after the applications were submitted, so we were surprised.  UAH has already sent a letter about an automatic scholarship.  Auburn has somewhat irritated kid because once accepted you have to set up an email account with the school and all further info is through that email.  This school isn't at the top of kid's list, although it could be.  Having to check another email address in addition to the portals at each school is irritating kid enough that it may eventually cause kid eliminate the school, which is fine.  I don't expect to hear from the other schools until December, but we hadn't expected to hear from these for another 2 weeks so we'll see what happens.  

• Like 13

2 hours ago, Doodlebug said:

@Clemsondana My kid found the same for our state tech school and Embry Riddle - once accepted, all emails are through their system.  He added each email to his outlook account, which at least pulls all the emails to one screen.  Not his preference, though.  

It's nuts.  Having to manage this many digital accounts is a big time waster. We had to download an app to set this up, and it took 30 minutes to do it all.  It was in many ways easier to get old-school written info in a big envelope instead of a steady trickle of email. Kid liked Huntsville sending a physical letter with preliminary merit info.  Parents can read it instead of bugging kid to log in so that we can see stuff. Kid has started a notebook with usernames and passwords. Ugh. 

Edited by Clemsondana
  • Like 6

8 hours ago, Clemsondana said:

It's nuts.  Having to manage this many digital accounts is a big time waster. We had to download an app to set this up, and it took 30 minutes to do it all.  It was in many ways easier to get old-school written info in a big envelope instead of a steady trickle of email. Kid liked Huntsville sending a physical letter with preliminary merit info.  Parents can read it instead of bugging kid to log in so that we can see stuff. Kid has started a notebook with usernames and passwords. Ugh. 

DS usually forwards me the emails he knows are important, but that is the problem - he’s not always clear on what’s important!  Lol. I was lamenting to dh yesterday about how much of my time is spent communicating with ds about emails. Who sent what, who he responded to, who he needs to follow up with, etc. 

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Clemsondana said:

Oh UGH. This sounds awful. I'm thankful for the heads up, though. Another thing to add to my list of 'things to keep track of"

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Acorn said:

I have been surprised by the need for school accounts to track application progress. He is definitely getting annoyed at schools with difficult websites and procedures.

Curious, would this have been a deal breaker for y'all if you'd known about it ahead of time? My daughter eliminated a school from my list because she hated the website. (she took a dual enrollment class there) "No. It is not going on the list. I am NOT dealing with that horrible website for 4 years."

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I guess I'll add my oldest to this thread as well although she is not class of 24.

She graduated in 2020 with an AS from our local community college. She then went to UW-Huntsville for computer science, but with covid college, physical health issues (she's had 2 surgeries in 2 years), and finally diagnosed ASD/ADD, she came back home without a BS after 3 semesters. She went to work and moved to MIL's basement apartment. She's been doing well, although her contract job wound up last month. 

She will be having a third surgery next week (fingers crossed that 3rd times a charm...), so she'll be moving back home for a while as she can't live in a basement for a while. She starts back at the local cc in January for their new 1 year Mechatronics program. She's looking forward to it although still floundering about what she wants to do "for the rest of her life".

• Like 15

On 11/4/2023 at 4:46 PM, historically accurate said:

My middle was accepted to St. Catherine's in St. Paul and Coe in Cedar Rapids. Nursing major. Leaning heavily toward Coe.

Is she considering Viterbo in La Crosse, WI? The schools you mention are in the areas where I grew up and attended college, as is Viterbo. La Crosse has two large hospitals, one associated with the Mayo Clinic and the other is the excellent Gunderson Lutheran System, so a great place to train as a nurse. My mom trained there 65 years ago when it was just a nursing school. Plus, La Crosse is a great college town in a beautiful area of the state.

• 2 weeks later...

Before today, we had acceptances at UAH, Auburn, and TN Tech.

Today we got yesses from Clemson and Rose-Hulman. 

The scheduling of all of this is so crazy.  Clemson doesn't announce financial aid until March, but the paperwork was part of the regular application or the honors application that were turned in back in October.  Rose announced admission and aid at the same time (as a private, it's as expensive with aid as some of the others are without).  Huntsville has a lot of automatic merit that we know about and had a separate application for more that took under an hour to do, and if kid chooses to attend and do honors it's due in March and likewise looks short.  Auburn had some automatic that we know about but you have to apply for more with essays, and honors also involves separate essays.  It is so time consuming - if they were all up front, kid would have applied to fewer school and both we and the admissions officials would have less work to do!  Virginia Tech doesn't announce EA acceptances until February, which would likely have eliminated it except that we won't know $ from most others until later so...

Even if they don't wind up being the top choice, kid appreciates the directness of UAH and Rose.  

• Like 13

3 minutes ago, Clemsondana said:

Even if they don't wind up being the top choice, kid appreciates the directness of UAH and Rose.  

We have found the same with ours. Today's Miami admit included the freshman scholarship offer. They still have to let us know about honors.  The other schools are all over the place. Some had a separate scholarship app once you were accepted, some included it in the application.  Some have a separate honors app, some included that in the application. It's a lot of moving pieces.  The worst is we probably won't hear from the school I expect to be  our best fit until February.  That's going to feel like forever away!  But also my son doesn't want to visit schools he can't afford, so we haven't even visited two of the colleges yet.  🤪 I suspect our spring is going to be insane.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, cintinative said:

We have found the same with ours. Today's Miami admit included the freshman scholarship offer. They still have to let us know about honors.  The other schools are all over the place. Some had a separate scholarship app once you were accepted, some included it in the application.  Some have a separate honors app, some included that in the application. It's a lot of moving pieces.  The worst is we probably won't hear from the school I expect to be  our best fit until February.  That's going to feel like forever away!  But also my son doesn't want to visit schools he can't afford, so we haven't even visited two of the colleges yet.  🤪 I suspect our spring is going to be insane.

Kid did like that Clemson uses the same application for honors and for scholarships.  So, it was all done back in October, even if the wait to find out each thing is later (honors college in Jan, money later).  And the essays were common app essays so they could be used elsewhere.  Kids applying for engineering are definitely the type to appreciate an efficient system.  🙂  The ones that seem to have never-ending paperwork - first apply to college, then do separate essays for honors college and scholarships - are frustrating.  If the separate things are short (list your activities, click some boxes) then it's fine, but multiple essays for each, all of them unique...it is not generating good feelings about some schools!  

• Like 3

On 12/14/2023 at 8:28 PM, Clemsondana said:

Before today, we had acceptances at UAH, Auburn, and TN Tech.

Today we got yesses from Clemson and Rose-Hulman. 

I've heard so many great things about RH. Our optometrist went to RH for undergrad, and I know a family who has a freshman there now. Always glowing recommendations. 

• Like 1

On 12/14/2023 at 8:35 PM, cintinative said:

You and I are going to be in the same boat. I know of one school that I want to visit while students are on campus, and one in state school that we haven't seen. Argh. Gonna be BUSY. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MagistraKennedy said:

You and I are going to be in the same boat. I know of one school that I want to visit while students are on campus, and one in state school that we haven't seen. Argh. Gonna be BUSY. 

Yep. If he gets selected he has to go to an "honors weekend" at the college that is 3.5 hours away. It starts at 9 a.m. on Friday. So we will probably go up the night before, and it lasts until Saturday afternoon. He is already concerned about taking off work and missing the time from school. A full tuition scholarship is on the line with this, but he is just frustrated with the time involved. It will be fine but for now he is grumpy about it.  😃 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cintinative said:

Yep. If he gets selected he has to go to an "honors weekend" at the college that is 3.5 hours away. It starts at 9 a.m. on Friday. So we will probably go up the night before, and it lasts until Saturday afternoon. He is already concerned about taking off work and missing the time from school. A full tuition scholarship is on the line with this, but he is just frustrated with the time involved. It will be fine but for now he is grumpy about it.  😃 

Do you know a time frame? We have one honors scholarship that we applied for, and if she's selected as a finalist, she'll have to go in for an interview. Luckily, that one's not too far away, (2 hours) and we already know it will be in January. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, MagistraKennedy said:

Do you know a time frame? We have one honors scholarship that we applied for, and if she's selected as a finalist, she'll have to go in for an interview. Luckily, that one's not too far away, (2 hours) and we already know it will be in January. 

Sort of? We know the first day goes from 9-1 and then you can do campus tours, which we will do, since we have never been to campus.

The second day is the interviews, and it goes pretty much all morning through early afternoon. If we are selected, the interview would be sometime that day. I suppose if it is scheduled early, we could leave afterward? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cintinative said:

Sort of? We know the first day goes from 9-1 and then you can do campus tours, which we will do, since we have never been to campus.

The second day is the interviews, and it goes pretty much all morning through early afternoon. If we are selected, the interview would be sometime that day. I suppose if it is scheduled early, we could leave afterward? 

Ah! I actually meant time of year. 🤣 
At least you know it's a weekend. I'm ASSUMING that's the case with ours, which is going to be tenuous for me. (I work every Sat/Sun) I'll just need a few weeks heads up for requesting time off. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MagistraKennedy said:

Ah! I actually meant time of year. 🤣 
At least you know it's a weekend. I'm ASSUMING that's the case with ours, which is going to be tenuous for me. (I work every Sat/Sun) I'll just need a few weeks heads up for requesting time off. 

Yeah, it was on their website about the dates. It's in late January. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, Doodlebug said:

DS was just appointed to the US Military Academy at West Point!!! He’s hoping Air Force Academy may have good news in a few weeks, but looks like he’s definitely going to basic this summer!

Congrats!!

• Like 2