Menu

Comfortable couch/bed combo

Drama Llama

We are looking for something that can serve as a couch for a sitting room, and then easily transfer to a comfortable sleeping space at night for one person.  

The ideal would be something that doesn't fold out like a sleep sofa, because the room is small and there is a chest that serves as a coffee table that is hard to move.  

Ideas?

A day bed?  The only options that I know of are sleeper sofas or futons that have to be folded out or day beds that are just a twin mattress in a different kind of frame.  Some sectionals seem to be wide enough that they can function as beds if the back cushions are taken off, or a couch with one end as a chaise lounge-style part that can be a sleeping surface.  

We had something like this, which the store called a "klik klik."  You can search that term and it comes up under all sorts of different names, but it's the same thing.  

https://www.wayfair.com/Hashtag-Home--Nathalia-75-Square-Arm-Sleeper-X211184760-L305-K~W005274772.html?refid=GX610586590484-W005274772_553505798&device=c&ptid=1277336278937&network=g&targetid=pla-1277336278937&channel=GooglePLA&ireid=159056475&fdid=1817&PiID[]=553505798&campaignid=17756479337&gclid=Cj0KCQjwzdOlBhCNARIsAPMwjbxM-pA90oEkxFqSBjmtR3Lk-rVcOtTSLtXvOGAIfADD1cTEahKUs4saAupeEALw_wcB

We tried out a few different ones and ended up with one with a firm but really comfortable mattress.  It's so easy to set up and then put back into a couch.   Easier and more comfortable than anything else we've had that needs to be both a bed and a couch for one person.  We got a mattress pad with memory foam for extra comfort.  I'd recommend a mattress pad to throw on at night that just lies flat on top of the mattress (no corners that fold over the edge, or elastic, etc).  

• Like 1

We have a futon upstairs that is a decent couch and better bed. Mattress is very comfortable. Couch is too except sometimes you have to pull the mattress back up as it has a tendency to slide down over time/folks sitting on it.  Pretty easy to transform to a bed and back to couch again - except for that silly mattress trying to slide down. Maybe I should consider sewing some industrial strength velcro to the underside and gluing to the wooden futon frame? 

On 7/18/2023 at 12:15 PM, Terabith said:

Could you just decorate a twin bed as a couch with throw pillows and stuff?

When I have been to places that have a couch like that, it looked like a couch but when I sat on it it didn’t feel right.  The back support was too far away or something.

This is for a space that gets used a lot for things like nursing babies, watching TV, reading to little kids, so it needs to function well as a couch.  Right now it has a futon on a frame that’s a decent couch and a lousy bed.

• Like 1

On 7/18/2023 at 9:52 AM, Bambam said:

We have a futon upstairs that is a decent couch and better bed. Mattress is very comfortable. Couch is too except sometimes you have to pull the mattress back up as it has a tendency to slide down over time/folks sitting on it.  Pretty easy to transform to a bed and back to couch again - except for that silly mattress trying to slide down. Maybe I should consider sewing some industrial strength velcro to the underside and gluing to the wooden futon frame? 

Maybe a newer futon is what we need?  Ours is all lumpy.

1 minute ago, BandH said:

Maybe a newer futon is what we need?  Ours is all lumpy.

I'd look into it. We paid a high price to get a quality wooden frame and good mattress thingee. It's held up very well over the years, moves, kids, teens, etc. That was one of our better furniture investments - that and the bookshelves and the kitchen table/chairs. 

My sister-in-law visited us recently with a new air mattress with its own built-in automatic pump, and we were really impressed with it.

I think this would depend on the person.  My sister-in-law is a small, thin person and I believe it was truly comfortable for her.  Would it be comfortable for a larger person?  At a certain point I would doubt it.  

It folded into the size of a little box, in just a minute or two.  It’s all “one touch” to blow it up and deflate it.

I would definitely consider it for a smaller person with no mobility challenges etc.  

Edit:  I just looked on Amazon and she had an “air mattress with built-in pump.”  

Edited by Lecka

The room it's in is pretty small, and has furniture that makes putting down an air mattress impossible.  It's the same reason we can't have a sleeper sofa, it takes up too much room when it's open.  The futon works because it's a full and turned the other way.   

• Like 1

Costco has had modern looking tufted leather or vinyl couches with arms on either end that fold flat, and I'm guessing that the back folds down like the Klick Klack someone posted above. I wish I could find the right search term for them, because they were very, very comfortable, and they would probably serve you well.

ETA: I wasn't able to find anything with the right search terms on the Costco website, but here's an example on Wayfair: https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/pdp/latitude-run-71-wide-faux-leather-convertible-sofa-with-adjustable-armrests-latd7896.html

The ones at Costco were pebbled black probably PU, with silver legs, and oh-so-comfortable!

Edited by Halftime Hope

We have this lounger from Costco. It’s great for me when my back is out and I need a firm place to sit.

perfectly ok for a quick nap. 

However, there is really no arm rests. And it very solid, as in we had one over night guest who opted to go home early…rather than another night on the hard bed.

It is black and not brown.

We will be looking for different options.image.thumb.png.9731989f6803a27a3fb866e95584ef72.png

• Thanks 1

Costco has something right now that seems totally awesome and if I had not already purchased for the office, I would have gotten this. It is an L shaped sofa with an ottoman you can push in and it fills in the space causing it to make a bed.

11 hours ago, BandH said:

The room it's in is pretty small, and has furniture that makes putting down an air mattress impossible.  It's the same reason we can't have a sleeper sofa, it takes up too much room when it's open.  The futon works because it's a full and turned the other way.   

The klik knack style sofas don't pull out that far to make the bed.  You need to see one in action to see if you have enough room (but not enough to get a pull out mattress sofa bed). Maybe about 2 feet if that much? Of course the back has to fold down also some.  See if you can find one to take measurements. 

ETA: if you have enough room for a full futon to fold down then there is enough room for the klik klack sofa. 

Edited by YaelAldrich

4 hours ago, KatieJ said:

We have this lounger from Costco. It’s great for me when my back is out and I need a firm place to sit.

perfectly ok for a quick nap. 

However, there is really no arm rests. And it very solid, as in we had one over night guest who opted to go home early…rather than another night on the hard bed.

It is black and not brown.

We will be looking for different options.image.thumb.png.9731989f6803a27a3fb866e95584ef72.png

Costco merchandise changes all the time and from store to store, but this looks like what I had seen. It was very, very comfortable, and if you look at the middle photo, the ends fold up. I think with additional throw pillows, it should be enough "arm rest" bulk to be comfortable for couch-ish usage.

9 hours ago, Halftime Hope said:

Costco merchandise changes all the time and from store to store, but this looks like what I had seen. It was very, very comfortable, and if you look at the middle photo, the ends fold up. I think with additional throw pillows, it should be enough "arm rest" bulk to be comfortable for couch-ish usage.

Yes the ends do fold up, but they are way too low for me. I do use throw pillows for arm support at times. Usually I am crocheting while watching Tv and don’t need the arm rests.  I do like sitting on it but it’s too solid for sleeping. We have discussed looking for a foam pad for it, but storage then would be an issue. 

Edited by KatieJ
  • Thanks 1