Menu

How to Find House and Pet Sitters

SHP

I just got home from a long weekend and am about to blow my top at the person who watched our animals and house. How bad was it? Their hair was still wet from their shower and they told me that a cat pooped in the shower and they picked it up with toilet paper before they showered, but they did not clean the bathtub. I can see exactly where it was which tells me it was there for a while. I walked into the house and the smell. OMG the smell. 

I ordered additional dry food for the foster animals and texted the sitter when it arrived. They brought the box in but did not open it or tell me when they ran out of food so I have half a dozen foster animals that did not get enough food for several days.

My temperamental plants are half dead.

I am livid.

The adultlings live too far to manage everything. How do I find someone who is reliable so I do not come home to hell and spend the following week scrubbing the house top to bottom? Or at the very least, not have to scrub the shower before I can take a shower and fall into bed...

• Sad 11

Getting recommendations for things like that is the one thing that makes FB worthwhile to me. Our community page is awesome for finding the best pet sitters, plumbers, electricians, handy people, painters, yard people, etc. Also, check with the group you're fostering with and their foster network. Somebody's bound to know somebody.

• Like 2

There were a friend of the family, apparently not as responsible as I thought. I used this person instead of the foster organization because everyone is so overwhelmed and I figured it was just for a few days and since I have everything set up to be extremely easy and efficient that it would be fine. 

I will look at Rover and talk to the vet and foster organization next time. We have a college with a vet program and an ag program but it isn't exactly close. 

9 minutes ago, SHP said:

There were a friend of the family, apparently not as responsible as I thought. I used this person instead of the foster organization because everyone is so overwhelmed and I figured it was just for a few days and since I have everything set up to be extremely easy and efficient that it would be fine. 

I will look at Rover and talk to the vet and foster organization next time. We have a college with a vet program and an ag program but it isn't exactly close. 

What does not close mean? Because not all students live on campus. So, you still may be able to find someone willing to come to you, especially if it is an overnight gig. But it also would depend on what you pay them.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

What does not close mean? Because not all students live on campus. So, you still may be able to find someone willing to come to you, especially if it is an overnight gig. But it also would depend on what you pay them.

The nearest is the other side of the metro which means horrible traffic. I am not sure how comfortable I am with people I do not know staying in my house

I house/pet sit but I am by word of mouth only.  You have to have been recommended to me as I don’t take on many or everyone.  I do an interview with you to make sure we are both a fit.  

Ask around on Facebook or local groups. Here rover seems to be very mixed and one of my clients had a horrible experience.  

• Thanks 1

Does it absolutely need to be a house sitter as well, or could it be a local pet sitter? 

If you can find a non-working teen in the neighborhood, they're pretty happy with the cash. We used to have the kid around the corner do it; they'd come once per day some days, and twicer per day other days. We paid a lot less than we would have to kennel multiple cats, and she was slap-happy with the amount of money. 

idk how they'd do with temperamental plants; is it just a matter of following written directions? 

1 hour ago, SHP said:

Their hair was still wet from their shower and they told me that a cat pooped in the shower and they picked it up with toilet paper before they showered, but they did not clean the bathtub.  all into bed...

wtf, who admits to that, lol?? 

• Like 3

My college kids pet and house sit. They leave the house spotless, pets are well cared for, they are also up to date on plant and gardening care since they've grown up with it. The summer for a week long stay at someone's house, they are getting paid between $400 and $500.  

So-- they get hired by word of mouth recommendations 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, katilac said:

Does it absolutely need to be a house sitter as well, or could it be a local pet sitter? 

If you can find a non-working teen in the neighborhood, they're pretty happy with the cash. We used to have the kid around the corner do it; they'd come once per day some days, and twicer per day other days. We paid a lot less than we would have to kennel multiple cats, and she was slap-happy with the amount of money. 

idk how they'd do with temperamental plants; is it just a matter of following written directions? 

wtf, who admits to that, lol?? 

The plant care was just following written instructions.

And who sees cat poop and picks it up and doesn't clean the area where it was before showering?!

• Like 1

My work colleague reached out to all our area staff and asked for recommendations for house and pet sitting. I suggested my dd, as she has her own pet sitting business. This colleague also had another employee offer to house and pet sit. This might work for you.

I've had luck with neighbours or family friends that I know well. 

Just a suggestion for future, having a lot of duties, multiple animals, food not in place and plants to watch becomes a lot more complicated. Be realistic about what one person can do, keeping in mind that most people don't put their lives on hold when house/pet sitting, unless this is their business.

12 minutes ago, SHP said:

The nearest is the other side of the metro which means horrible traffic. I am not sure how comfortable I am with people I do not know staying in my house

I understand that. I will say, that as a pet sitter for almost 20 years, your story is not surprising at all. Many of my jobs are from people looking for someone because their trusted family or friend was terrible at caring for their animal.

The worst situation I had of this was a client who used me to give their dogs their extensive list of medicines once a day but had a long time neighbor do the feeding and care other times during the days. I could tell that the dogs were being fed and given water daily because I was monitoring the sick dog very closely. What I didn't know, because I was specifically only doing medical care, was that the neighbor wasn't taking the dogs outside at all. The dogs were peeing and pooping in a bedroom upstairs. Normally, I do a daily walk through of all rooms the animals can get to just to make sure there are no accidents. But didn't that time because someone else was in charge of that aspect of the care.

All that to say, that the people who care about other people's pets are not always their friends and family. Many  say yes to the job as a courtesy or because aren't good at saying no. But they aren't actually suited for the job 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, wintermom said:

My work colleague reached out to all our area staff and asked for recommendations for house and pet sitting. I suggested my dd, as she has her own pet sitting business. This colleague also had another employee offer to house and pet sit. This might work for you.

I've had luck with neighbours or family friends that I know well. 

Just a suggestion for future, having a lot of duties, multiple animals, food not in place and plants to watch becomes a lot more complicated. Be realistic about what one person can do, keeping in mind that most people don't put their lives on hold when house/pet sitting, unless this is their business.

I guess since it is my norm I didn't view it as a lot. No medication, the only ones getting special food were kittens, everyone else free feeds on dry except for once a day canned. I have it set up to take under 10 minutes twice a day for feeding and didn't expect playing, changing liter, etc. The dogs add 15 minutes twice a day while they go outside, but we have a fenced yard so no walk needed.

Option A: go with a professional. I use an acquaintance who petsits full-time as her business. She has extensive experience, a real contract, and provides references. Dd uses a company that employs multiple petsitters who do it as a job. Look online, read the reviews.

Option B: use friends who also have pets and reciprocate. Some of my friends have an elaborate network of people who trade petsitting for one another. 

Edited by regentrude

Last summer my sister-in-law came from 4 hours away to house/pet sit.  

This spring Dh and I were out of town for 3 nights/4 days and a 17 year old family friend stayed here.  I paid her $50 a night.  I gave her very specific instructions and she did everything I asked.  I will definitely use her again.  I think she liked the chance to be on her own for the long weekend….and she asked if she could have a friend over to swim which was fine (I know the friend as well)

Oh and besides the $50 per night I bought all her favorite snacks.  I asked her friend what all her favorites were and she was surprised and a little freaked out that I had every single snack and food she loves.  It was pretty cute.  Finding a good house sitter is hard.  I have had the best success with teenage girls.  

• Like 1

We found our pet sitter through our vet. We have used her for ten years now and adore her. I have a huge garden and have had her water the garden for me, with detailed instructions. 
We have since had two teens/young adults in the neighborhood start pet sitting businesses and I would consider them, if need be.. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GoVanGogh said:

We have since had two teens/young adults in the neighborhood start pet sitting businesses and I would consider them, if need be.. 

We've been fortunate to have teens in the neighborhood to pet sit our cat for us.  It works out great.  

• Like 2

We will be pet sitting for my parents (who live two hours away) in August. They are bringing their dogs to us to keep.

I have house sat for friends before, when I was single.  But my duties only involved living in the house and making sure the alarm was set when I left.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Kassia said:

We've been fortunate to have teens in the neighborhood to pet sit our cat for us.  It works out great.  

Same. We're losing our long time kitty sitter after this summer though, darn teenagers growing up and going off to college! She's fantastic; the cats are always happy and are quick to show me their routine they must have with her--now is the time for brushing, now we play with this toy because that's what she played with...dang I'm going to miss her. I pay her well and she's always happy to come over even on short notice. Responsible teens are the best! 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, SHP said:

I guess since it is my norm I didn't view it as a lot. No medication, the only ones getting special food were kittens, everyone else free feeds on dry except for once a day canned. I have it set up to take under 10 minutes twice a day for feeding and didn't expect playing, changing liter, etc. The dogs add 15 minutes twice a day while they go outside, but we have a fenced yard so no walk needed.

Well your norm and other people's norms are going to be completely different.

If you paid a fee per animal, which is often the case for professional pet sitters, then you'd be looking at a realistic situation. 

I absolutely love our pet sitter and found her on rover.com. She's a retired woman who has done pet rescue and fostering for many years. 

If you use Rover, read the reviews and the sitter's info carefully. Look for many repeat customers. 

I'm so sorry this happened to you. 😞 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Heartstrings said:

I can kill plants by following instructions.  Just me thinking about a plant can kill it.   I have the direct opposite of a green thumb.  It’s terrible.    

If it makes you feel any better I am married to a master gardener who kills my plants. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, wintermom said:

Well your norm and other people's norms are going to be completely different.

If you paid a fee per animal, which is often the case for professional pet sitters, then you'd be looking at a realistic situation. 

How does one determine the amount per animal? The number I am thinking puts the fee at more than our entire trip due to the foster animals. 😕 

4 minutes ago, SHP said:

How does one determine the amount per animal? The number I am thinking puts the fee at more than our entire trip due to the foster animals. 😕 

Our pet sitters tell us the amount. It’s always crazy high. Really on par with boarding, if we want at least three visits per day.

We use someone from Rover sometimes — she’s been pet sitting for years and has a flat fee per visit per animal, with a discounted amount for the next. 

We also have a professional pet sitting company (the one the vet recommended), and they also have a flat fee per visit, discounts for additional animals, and I think there’s an additional fee for various services. Fees vary according to length of time we want them to stay.

Our newest pet sitting person (untried, yet) is a teen family friend. We will pay $500 per week, and he will stay in our house. He’s good with old doggos, so I think this will be better for our elderly, deaf, arthritic pup.

• Like 1

Oh I just remembered. I pet sit for a friend too when her whole family is on vacation. She has chickens and two cats (with three litter boxes)

She does not expect me to come every day.  When she's gone a week, I come three times. Feed the chickens. Make sure they have water. Clean all three litter boxes and make sure the cats have clean water and top up their food.  That's it.  (And take the litter box stuff out to the trash outside)

Usually I only see one of the cats -- the other one hides. If that cat lets me pet her, I will. But my friend does not expect me to play/find both cats. One is VERY shy.

Edited by vonfirmath

38 minutes ago, SHP said:

Often there is a flat fee for the first pet, then additional costs depending on the number of walks/visits if not living in the home. Cleaning the house (also cleaning after accidents) would need to be spelled out clearly the agreement. Be clear about your expectations, and then provide renumeration that is realistic for what you expect. 

Edited by wintermom

5 minutes ago, wintermom said:

Often there is a flat fee for the first pet, then additional costs depending on the number of walks/visits if not living in the home. Cleaning the house (also cleaning after accidents) would need to be spelled out clearly the agreement. Be clear about your expectations, and then provide renumeration that is realistic for what you expect. 

That is where I am lost. The amount of work based on the setup is not much if the routine that maximizes efficiency if followed. This sounds weird so I will over explain. Everyone here has ADHD and my offspring have adopted the moto "Maximizing Inefficiency Through Unnecessary Complexity". I love them to death, but there are only 24 hours in a day so I streamline everything. I teach how to look at something and break it down and to take advantage of pauses. Making coffee for example. If the machine takes 20 minutes then the best use if the time is not standing there staring at the machine, it is doing something else that is a part of the routine.

That is how the instructions were set up, 45 minutes total each day is generous since I didn't ask them to scoop the literboxes or spend time cuddling the kittens, or grooming anyone. Not following the list can result in things taking 3x as long and to be honest, I am not interested in paying someone more money because they cannot be efficient. It doesn't take an hour to open a few cans of food and refill a gravity fed dry food feeder. Do other people spend this long on feeding their pets? 

If I had special needs pets or was asking them to scoop and change liter boxes, or to pick up the dog poop, or provide medical care, I could see it taking longer and I didn't ask or expect it.

I am more disgusted than annoyed that they would pick up the cat poop from the bathtub but not actually clean the tub before taking a shower. I mean really. They were not tasked with cleaning the shower but to use it like that?! Maybe I am too judgemental about cleanliness standards and assuming that everyone else who encounters feces in a place they plan to wash their body would clean after picking up the feces. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SHP said:

That is where I am lost. The amount of work based on the setup is not much if the routine that maximizes efficiency if followed. This sounds weird so I will over explain. Everyone here has ADHD and my offspring have adopted the moto "Maximizing Inefficiency Through Unnecessary Complexity". I love them to death, but there are only 24 hours in a day so I streamline everything. I teach how to look at something and break it down and to take advantage of pauses. Making coffee for example. If the machine takes 20 minutes then the best use if the time is not standing there staring at the machine, it is doing something else that is a part of the routine.

That is how the instructions were set up, 45 minutes total each day is generous since I didn't ask them to scoop the literboxes or spend time cuddling the kittens, or grooming anyone. Not following the list can result in things taking 3x as long and to be honest, I am not interested in paying someone more money because they cannot be efficient. It doesn't take an hour to open a few cans of food and refill a gravity fed dry food feeder. Do other people spend this long on feeding their pets? 

If I had special needs pets or was asking them to scoop and change liter boxes, or to pick up the dog poop, or provide medical care, I could see it taking longer and I didn't ask or expect it.

I am more disgusted than annoyed that they would pick up the cat poop from the bathtub but not actually clean the tub before taking a shower. I mean really. They were not tasked with cleaning the shower but to use it like that?! Maybe I am too judgemental about cleanliness standards and assuming that everyone else who encounters feces in a place they plan to wash their body would clean after picking up the feces. 

Honestly -- for a shower? I don't understand your disgust.

Only feet are on the floor. Feet are already dirty,e tc.

Just now, vonfirmath said:

Honestly -- for a shower? I don't understand your disgust.

Only feet are on the floor. Feet are already dirty,e tc.

Right, feet come in dirty but the goal is that they leave clean. I could still see where the cat poop was after they showered

57 minutes ago, SHP said:

When my dd takes on a pet/house sitting assignment she interviews the client first. During this interview is when you can explain what you desire. No one really needs to know anything else about your life and health issues, truly, neither do I right now. I'm only trying to help you out.

2 hours ago, SHP said:

around here care for 3 animals per night exceeds the price of a lower end hotel stay per night  (think La Quinta, Best Western etc).  Yes it sucks but I want my animals well taken care of.  I've heard of far too many stories of caregivers not taking care of and/or losing the animals all together to risk "cheap" care for my furbabies.

Also I don't pay for fosters when I'm gone.  Someone else in the rescue group will take them temporarily so I don't have to pay for them.

Edited by cjzimmer1
  • Like 2

My friend was just gone on vacation for 2 weeks. She had a friend’s mid 20 grandson house and pet sit. 2 small inside dogs and one large outside. Raised beds snd flower pots to water. Oh and keep the house show ready since it is on the market.  She paid him $300 and he was  thrilled. 

Different areas have different cost of living. 

This is some of the things I do for my clients- I do take care of their plants, play/feed/potty/massage/groom the animals, get mail, keep an eye on the house, etc.  I do not stay there but will bring an animal home if needed if I am concerned about something with owner permission. Things I have done at no extra charge-  called and arrange a plumber when I discovered a burst outdoor hose connection ( owner forgot to turn it off for winter), removed a chipmunk who decided to move in, help an intoxicated squirrel get back of a sunroom ( next door had a party and left a few cups out overnight and the squirrel had a taste for whatever the beverage was), restart house systems when power was out,  coordinated a remodel that was delayed and was started a week before they returned, and picked up their dogs in a emergency when they were taken to the hospital and the dogs were at the vet.  But my clients are really good people and I don’t mind at all. 

So I don’t see your list as bad.  Just likely a mismatch of expectations.  Ask around for who others use, interview them, and hopefully next time it will be a match. 

Edited by itsheresomewhere
  • Like 1

Things I asked done 

Feed dog and cat twice  a day 

Lock cat in laundry room/garage at night 

Bring in trash cans from curb

Check mail daily 

Water flowers 

Load and run dishwasher before she left/I came home

Wash sheets and remake her bed on last day before she left/I came home.