Menu

would you pay money...???

ProudGrandma

I am wanting to learn a new hobby and although I think I could probably figure it mostly out on my own, the trial and error time and money spent might be more than I want to deal with...but I don't know for sure.  Would you pay someone to mentor you to teach you all of the tricks of the trade quickly and easily?  I am not really the kind of person who needs to learn things on my own for the sake of learning along the way....I am more of a person who likes to be told exactly what I need to do first and the tweek and play later.  As I am typing this, I think I already know my answer...although I would be curious to see what you all think. 

thanks. 

It depends upon the hobby. Using a brand new embroidery sewing machine to make some fancy project? I'd probably do lessons on the machine (usually stores offer a free lesson on how to use your new machine though). Or how to use a 3D printer? I'd probably want classes in that too - at least I think I would. I have no idea how easy/difficult they are to use. 

Is it something straight-forward like latch-hooking? I'd just read the instructions and go on and get started. 

So, for me, it would depend upon what the hobby is, how difficult, and do I need to produce something right away (like I'm making some decor item for a wedding that is July 4th).  

• Like 4

My first instinct was to say yes, but I thought a moment longer and I'd say it would depend on the hobby. I'd kind of like to learn to sew, and I'd pay someone to teach me because it's such a useful skill. OTOH, I think if I were interested in a less useful hobby I might get more enjoyment from self teaching. But it's really hard to say w/o knowing what the hobby is.

of course, it would be helpful to know the hobby.....it's making wax melts.  There are so many different kinds of wax....and fragrance oils etc...and I want to make them as safe as I possibly can....I have been watchin you tube videos and reading blogs....and the process is fairly straight forward, but picking the right ingredients isn't so much...and might end up being a trial and error....and yet, I also know there are people would enjoy the journey to finding or mixing the best wax for example. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kfeusse said:

of course, it would be helpful to know the hobby.....it's making wax melts.  There are so many different kinds of wax....and fragrance oils etc...and I want to make them as safe as I possibly can....I have been watchin you tube videos and reading blogs....and the process is fairly straight forward, but picking the right ingredients isn't so much...and might end up being a trial and error....and yet, I also know there are people would enjoy the journey to finding or mixing the best wax for example. 

I think in that case it depends on whether you can find someone with the same standards and priorities as you have.  I don't know much about it but I would suspect that some people wouldn't care as much about the safety of the materials as others. 

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
wrong word
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, kfeusse said:

In this case, of the person I was paying had as high as (or higher) standards than me, then I would pay. If not, then no.

• Like 2

I once paid for an “art as therapy” class but I ended up dropping out because it wasn’t the adult art class I thought it was. It was the “artist” standing in front and waxing on about… …nothing to do with art or therapy or emotions at all. So after that… yes, but with caution.

I’ve since thought about taking an oil painting realism course but that was after watching a ton of Youtube videos from the professional painter offering the class and spending a lot of time googling… where the biggest criticism is his instructions are so good that the art ends up super realistic and more akin to a coloring book with oil paint than a creative process.

I took a lot of “free” classes on CreativeLive back when my older kids were small. They were easier than my youngest and I had more time than I do now. 

Depends on the teacher and the hobby and the cost. 

I am an advanced knitter and crocheter and I have paid for less advanced classes at times as an excuse to socialize with some new people and as a way to force me to try a different project I could do on my own but may be less motivated to do so.  I've also taught classes to others.  There is something about being accountable to a teacher and/or group that can kick start something.

1 hour ago, kfeusse said:

I would not pay for a teacher for this.  It sounds like what you need to learn is information, rather than someone assisting you to develop skills.  That you can get by reading or watching videos. If it were learning a complicated skill where it would help to have someone watching you do it and pointing out how you could improve, that would be worth paying for.

I would try  YouTube and even a free trial at Skillshare to see if they have courses/videos on that. I'm more the scour-the-earth-for-free-options before I'll pay, mainly because I don't have a lot of disposable income but also because I don't want to learn on someone else's schedule. 

I probably would pay, though it would also depend on how much it would cost. I have made wax melts before. Some turned out great, others were flops. I could never figure out why. 
I recently paid $5 for a jewelry making class at the senior center. The project didn’t interest me at all, but it was the best $5 I have ever spent because I learned so many skills and got a ton of ideas. That has me looking again at taking classes. I have wanted to take a bookbinding class for a long time now. I have books on it and can do the basic ones, but I haven’t been able to figure out the more involved bindings. 
Years ago I took a canning class at a speciality grocery store. The instructor was giving outdated, crazy scary information. 

I've learned my fair share of hobbies from classes at the library. These are taught by folks who just want to pass their love of their pastime on to others. All of them were free and I often think back to that advice I learned whenever I get stuck. Plus classes help you connect with others who are learning. Often you can learn from others' mistakes or have someone to work with as you start your new project.

I’ve paid for quilting classes & group tennis lessons. It seems the older I get the more willing I am to pay for expertise, especially if it might save me $ in the long run by saving time and/or sunk supply costs. This has also made me less likely to start a hobby I won’t stick with because of the up front investment.