Menu

I want high-quality sheets. Help me choose.

Hyacinth

I want to invest in high-quality sheets for our bed. I usually buy basic, run-of-the-mill, on-sale sheets at Target or wherever. 

We stayed at an Airbnb recently and, OH MY, the difference was very noticeable! I asked the owner about the sheets but he didn’t know details. 

So I come to the hive. 

What should I look for in good sheets? Is it thread count? Fabric? Brand? 

I don’t want anything slippery or hot.

Thanks! 

The best sheets I’ve ever had I purchased at Costco. The first set is from Charisma and the second set is Kirkland’s. They are identical to each other. They are soft, but not slippery and they aren’t showing any wear w/the first set being about 3 yrs old and the second set about 6 months old. There has been no pilling, the elastic hasn’t stretched out on the bottom sheet and the color hasn’t faded. Their softness has also been consistent. They are 100% cotton and the thread count is 680.

Thread count is a good beginning indicator of softness. Generally the higher the thread count the softer the sheet. However, the type of cotton favors in a great deal as well. The shorter the cotton, the rougher, and less expensive, the sheet. This is because even though the fabric is woven, there are more thread ends and they are rougher than the thread itself. If you see the words “long staple,” “Egyptian” or “Turkish” as descriptors of the cotton, they are longer threads.

Another factor is whether or not the manufacturer has put a softener in/on the fabric. That softener will wash out after 2-3 washes and the sheet will be rougher. The Vera Wang brand at Kohl’s does this. They have a higher thread count, but they are really rough when that softener is gone. I don’t think there’s a way to tell if the manufacturer has done this, though. 

The quality is reflected in the price. The Costco king sized sheets aRe about $180 - 200 at Costco. That’s for the top & bottom sheet and four pillow cases. Prices go up if there is a brand name and if there is a particular design house associated with the sheet. Price can be an indicator of quality, as some design houses are careful to only attach their names to higher quality products, but that isn’t always true. Some design houses have products with different quality levels and prices points.

• Like 4

You want something with a high thread count, preferably between 500 and 1000.  If you go closer to the higher end, make sure the reviews match up.  Sometimes the higher thread count suffers from poor quality fine thread.

Definitely cotton.  Don't go for microfiber or poly or anything else that doesn't breathe.

FWIW, we've had rather high quality and some that are more mid range. Our favorites right now are from Target and L.L. Bean.  The Target ones wear out faster, but they also have two features I really like: double sets of elastic on the corners and a tag at each end that says "Top or Bottom".

• Like 1

Thread count is highly misleading, often to the point of being a scam. A higher thread count using lower quality fiber is inferior to a lower thread count of higher quality fiber. I'd advise doing some research before getting sucked into thinking higher is always better.

Fabric is really going to be a personal choice. I prefer 100 percent cotton but I'd also like to give linen a try sometime.

My most recent sheet purchase was from Brooklinen. I got the sateen and am happy with them. I actually wanted percale, but I bought them during the winter and I was concerned they'd sleep a little too cool for DH. Sateen and percale are weaves. Percale is generally considered to be cooler than sateen, but it wrinkles more. So it's a bit of a trade off. I sleep hot but I don't find these sateen sheets to be a problem.

ETA: Something I also look for is OEKO-TEX certification. It means the sheets are free from unwanted nasty chemicals.

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

Thread count is highly misleading, often to the point of being a scam. A higher thread count using lower quality fiber is inferior to a lower thread count of higher quality fiber. I'd advise doing some research before getting sucked into thinking higher is always better.

Fabric is really going to be a personal choice. I prefer 100 percent cotton but I'd also like to give linen a try sometime.

My most recent sheet purchase was from Brooklinen. I got the sateen and am happy with them. I actually wanted percale, but I bought them during the winter and I was concerned they'd sleep a little too cool for DH. Sateen and percale are weaves. Percale is generally considered to be cooler than sateen, but it wrinkles more. So it's a bit of a trade off. I sleep hot but I don't find these sateen sheets to be a problem.

ETA: Something I also look for is OEKO-TEX certification. It means the sheets are free from unwanted nasty chemicals.

I haven’t bought them yet, but these exact sheets are my “next-to-try.”  I haven’t decided between percale and sateen yet, but I’m leaning percale. 

Based on an older thread recommendation, I have these sheets. They were a bit rough for my liking the first few months, but they have smoothed out nicely and feel great now. Excellent quality and I’ve seen no wear whatsoever after 2 years of constant use. (Wash, put back on bed.)

(FWIW, I describe my sheet preference as 100% cotton, crisp, and smooth.)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pawz4me said:

This.

My 200 thread count sheets from Walmart 24 years ago have lasted better than any other sheets I've owned, and they are softer as they age. I had more $$$ sets from Sears that were also of similar thread count that succumbed earlier.

I don't know how to research the fiber quality. 

We loved our Target sheets when we first got them, but the bottom sheet ripped a lot sooner than expected.

So far, our Big One sheets from Kohl's are winning the day. If they last another year, they will have lasted longer than our Target sheets.

There is zero chance of me spending hundreds on any sheets, lol! If nothing else, a rogue toenail could slice them open early on. Yikes.

None of the higher thread count sheets I've owned have performed for any reasonable length of time.

• Like 1

Lands End. I think I've liked both high thread count sateen or percale. They both give that super smooth feel. I know the thread count thing can be misleading, but I've never really wanted to spend the time to figure do the cost benefit analysis for the "right" number.  

Don't do Jersey knit, or brushed cotton for sure those by definition aren't going to last even if they feel comfy.

• Like 1

I prefer bedgear sheets. I have Ver-Tex and have debated Dri-Tec. I change sheets every 2-3 days and this is a vital part of my bedtime routine that helps me with my insomnia.

ETA: I only own two sets for my bed and have had them for 5+ years. They are holding up without an issue being washed this frequently.

Keep an eye on the website for sales.

https://www.bedgear.com/shop/performance-sheets

Edited by SHP

53 minutes ago, BakersDozen said:

Does the fitted sheet have elastic all the way around or just on the ends? I'm eyeing a Brooklinen set but definitely want full elastic.

I just felt my sheets and there is elastic everywhere.

1 hour ago, BakersDozen said:

Does the fitted sheet have elastic all the way around or just on the ends? I'm eyeing a Brooklinen set but definitely want full elastic.

47 minutes ago, SeaConquest said:

I just felt my sheets and there is elastic everywhere.

Ditto SeaConquest--they have elastic all the way around.

4 hours ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle Again said:

This whole thread has really just proved to me that I need to be rich. 

There is a reason we only own two sets of the sheets I suggested and why I suggested waiting for a sale. I cannot afford more. Guests and offspring do not get as nice of sheets

• Like 2