Menu

Update in last post. They don’t make cat boxes high enough to keep my cat from peeing over the edge.

Indigo Blue

Sigh. I have a new one to try coming today. We made our own from a storage tub even, but she pees over it still. It can only be cut so high, then I fear she wouldn’t be able to comfortably get in and out. Without the cover, she throws litter all over the world. This is her one flaw. She is absolutely perfect in every other way, lol. The stinker. 

I wish they would let me design my own just the way it needs to be. There is always some sort of problem with all of them. Of course, this is true because of her issues, not because the box is being stupid. 

I already know I will have to make modifications to the new one. That is, if I get lucky and she chooses to aim her bottom in the most optimal direction. She always aims in the same exact place for tinkling and the exact same different place for everything else. 

The one she had (now in the attic) was one piece. Any two piece box is going to be problematic because she will invariably get urine in the seam. It will collect there and need to be cleaned. Both tile floor and  box itself. 

She can pee incredibly high. 

Edited by Indigo Blue

I’m embarrassed to post the box I ordered. It wasn’t cheap and I’m sure lots of you would think I’ve gone off the deep end. (But if something exists that will stop this problem, it’s worth it). Plus, it’s really, really funny. It makes me laugh. I don’t know why. It just does. 

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Indigo Blue said:

Sigh. I have a new one to try coming today. We made our own from a storage tub even, but she pees over it still. It can only be cut so high, then I fear she wouldn’t be able to comfortably get in and out. Without the cover, she throws litter all over the world. This is her one flaw. She is absolutely perfect in every other way, lol. The stinker. 

I wish they would let me design my own just the way it needs to be. There is always some sort of problem with all of them. Of course, this is true because of her issues, not because the box is being stupid. 

I already know I will have to make modifications to the new one. That is, if I get lucky and she chooses to aim her bottom in the most optimal direction. She always aims in the same exact place for tinkling and the exact same different place for everything else. 

The one she had (now in the attic) was one piece. Any two piece box is going to be problematic because she will invariably get urine in the seam. It will collect there and need to be cleaned. Both tile floor and  box itself. 

She can pee incredibly high. 

I use a 105 quart plastic storage bin.  It has been a game changer. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Indigo Blue said:

I’m embarrassed to post the box I ordered. It wasn’t cheap and I’m sure lots of you would think I’ve gone off the deep end. (But if something exists that will stop this problem, it’s worth it). Plus, it’s really, really funny. It makes me laugh. I don’t know why. It just does. 

Oh girl now you have to tell us.  

• Like 1

We have this problem.  And yes, through the seam!  How does she even do that?!?

I got the big DEEP regular Rubbermaid totes.  $6 each.  We use cinderblocks and bricks to make a "stairway" into each.  There is no "stairway" out but the cats can easily jump to the top of the "stairway"  from the inside when they need to get out.  They are harder to clean because the floors have stability channels but that is way easier to deal with than pee over the top or out the seams.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Scarlett said:

Oh girl now you have to tell us.  

Ok. Just know that there will be people here rolling their eyes. I just have to tell myself …I don’t care…..I don’t care…..I don’t care…..

Also know there are people here who are strongly against doggie strollers, so …….😁

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B082XBBZXJ?ref=ppx_pt2_mob_b_prod_image

• Like 8

Om gosh, that’s cute. I giggled too. I think it’s the face of the cat posed in it. I was going to suggest making one out of acrylic, but frankly the giant rubbermaid tote sounds like a better & cheaper idea to me. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, skimomma said:

We have this problem.  And yes, through the seam!  How does she even do that?!?

I got the big DEEP regular Rubbermaid totes.  $6 each.  We use cinderblocks and bricks to make a "stairway" into each.  There is no "stairway" out but the cats can easily jump to the top of the "stairway"  from the inside when they need to get out.  They are harder to clean because the floors have stability channels but that is way easier to deal with than pee over the top or out the seams.

Thanks. That’s a great idea. Maybe there is a little set of premade cats stairs that would work, too. 

That is adorable.  But looks pretty complicated.  

The tote we use is 19 inches tall and our cat has no trouble getting in or out.  I have wondered if one that is the same height but not as long would work as well.  Ours is in the garage so it is fine, but it would be more difficult if it had to be indoors.  

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

That is adorable.  But looks pretty complicated.  

The tote we use is 19 inches tall and our cat has no trouble getting in or out.  I have wondered if one that is the same height but not as long would work as well.  Ours is in the garage so it is fine, but it would be more difficult if it had to be indoors.  

The thing is, whatever goes there needs to fit the space between wall and front of toilet without leaving too little walking area to enter tub/shower. So, a large Rubbermaid may be too wide, but with a skinnier one, you lose the height as they get shorter if they get narrower. 

Edited by Indigo Blue

Personally, I'd return that enclosed litter box. Not because of the price, but because being enclosed traps all the fumes inside the enclosed space. My vet recommended against enclosed litter boxes for this reason. The storage container suggestion sounds perfect!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, wintermom said:

Personally, I'd return that enclosed litter box. Not because of the price, but because being enclosed traps all the fumes inside the enclosed space. My vet recommended against enclosed litter boxes for this reason. The storage container suggestion sounds perfect!

It is VERY enclosed. The one in the attic has a cover but is very well ventilated. 

• Like 1

I had a cat that managed to pee out between the seams of the box in the back! I used the underpads under the litter box and put a new one down when needed. I still had to clean that seam, but disposable lysol wipes did the job. That cat had an entire set up. My cats now are so easy in comparison.

• Like 1

Four cats here, I hear ya.  I am done with boxes that have seams.  We have these top entry boxes.  Arm & Hammer Slide litter works well for us (and lasts a long time!). The top entries are only 15 inches high, but if any of our cats couldn't manage it we'd give them steps up.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KVL30NC/

HOWEVER, three of the four usually prefer unmodified open Rubbermaid 30 gallon bins. We put a top entry box right next to the Rubbermaid bin.  The cats jump to the lid of the top entry and then hop down into the bin.

Edited by jplain
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, jplain said:

Four cats here, I hear ya.  I am done with boxes that have seams.  We have these top entry boxes.  Arm & Hammer Slide litter works well for us (and lasts a long time!). The top entries are only 15 inches high, but if any of our cats couldn't manage it we'd give them steps up.  

HOWEVER, three of the four usually prefer unmodified open Rubbermaid 30 gallon bins. We put a top entry box right next to the Rubbermaid bin.  The cats jump to the lid of the top entry and then hop down into the bin.

I could put a top entry cat box with a set of stairs by one end. There is a perfect on Amazon. If she didn’t like the lid, I could just leave it off. The top entry box is smaller than a huge storage tub (will fit the space better). The stairs match the width of the box perfectly. This just might work. 

• Like 2

When our cat was doing this, our vet suggested putting multiple cat boxes out.  So we had one cat and three litter boxes (just boxes nothing fancy) and the problem stopped immediately and never recurred even in her old age.  Just thought I'd throw that out- YMMV.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Tenaj said:

When our cat was doing this, our vet suggested putting multiple cat boxes out.  So we had one cat and three litter boxes (just boxes nothing fancy) and the problem stopped immediately and never recurred even in her old age.  Just thought I'd throw that out- YMMV.

The basic recommendations are one box per cat, plus one extra.  So even basic would be two litter boxes for just one cat.  I did two because we had a larger house - and I needed to keep 1dd's dogs out of them . . . . oh, the smells . . . 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Indigo Blue said:

With the one I linked, she has to enter and make a right turn. There is a divider there. That is what I’m hoping will do the trick. I may have to think on the seam thing. 

It's cute, but if she can pee high, on the wall, won't the pee run down under the litter pan?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Halftime Hope said:

It's cute, but if she can pee high, on the wall, won't the pee run down under the litter pan?

That’s what I’m worried about. There is a little lip that covers most of the seam when the door is shut. It all depends on where she would choose to aim her bottom. Also, I didn’t consider the box being so closed in, but it might be the one that works. I could still consider the idea of top entry/open top box with stairs. I don’t think she would use a top entry without stairs. She doesn’t like things she’s not used to. 

I had a cat with “elevator butt.”  She would start peeing in a squat position and stand up as she went on. Jackson Galaxy says it comes from being separated from mom and litter mates too young.  Which is possible; we got her from a shelter at 8 weeks but didn’t know about her life before that.  We used enclosed litter boxes for her, and they mostly worked but I will admit that things were simpler in the litter box front when she died.  She was the best cat though, otherwise.  

• Like 1

We use the 18 gallon Rubbermaid tote too. I've never actually seen DD's cat get in/out, but it is obvious he must.  I've thought about the larger ones with shorter sides though. I think they would be easier to empty too? 

When my DD lived with two other girls, one of which had a cat, they kept the lids on the totes but they cut a hole in the top (maybe 1/3rd?) so the cat could get in/out that way. It seemed to work. The one she uses now does not have a lid. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Terabith said:

I had a cat with “elevator butt.”  She would start peeing in a squat position and stand up as she went on. Jackson Galaxy says it comes from being separated from mom and litter mates too young. 

Interesting.  Our "elevator butt" was a stray that we literally had to rescue from a tree on our yard after being stuck there for 3+ days (cue bucket truck and half the neighborhood watching).  She seemed unaccustomed to interacting with humans so likely feral.  She is 20yo now and her elevator seems to be faltering in her golden years.  It's possible that we will have to switch to lower boxes if her mobility is hampered due to age.  But so far she has no trouble getting in or out of the boxes with the "stairs."

We have always had more boxes than cats.  That did not seem to change anything.  She would just pee up and out of all of them, although if there were a variety of box heights available, she would always choose the lowest in order to make sure pee got everywhere.  We went through a LOT of boxes.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, vonfirmath said:

That's a cute box -- looks a little like a very cozy TV. But I don't see how it will fix the problem. Couldn't the cat jump in and still pee out of the side  by not turning around to cutely look out?

I guess she could if she really wanted to. She’d have to contort herself into a weird position. Unless she just decided to straight up stand on the platform and aim her bottom out of the opening. I guess that is not out of the realm of possibility with her. 

Edited by Indigo Blue

4 hours ago, jplain said:

We use the same top entry boxes. Love love love them! Was worried my cat wouldn’t take to them but she seems to prefer them. 

• Like 1

Update:

I returned the funny, expensive cat box and got her original box down from the attic. I put a small, heavy glass rectangular dish inside the box  (upside down) right up against the front wall just beneath the opening. It did the trick. She stepped into the box and out over the glass dish, which forced her to go deeper into the box to pee. Very little litter scatter and a dry floor this morning. 

She just needed to get into the box more, as before she was squatting before she was barely all in. 

I tried so many things. I laid awake thinking and thinking there MUST be some way…..

Keeping the glass dish clean will just be a part of cleaning the box. It’s pretty easy. And glass is non porous. 

Her box has plenty of opening on top for ventilation, so I hope this continues to  solve all issues. 

Edited by Indigo Blue
  • Like 13

• Indigo Blue changed the title to Update in last post. They don’t make cat boxes high enough to keep my cat from peeing over the edge.
2 minutes ago, Indigo Blue said:

Update:

I returned the funny, expensive cat box and got her original box down from the attic. I put a small, heavy glass rectangular dish inside the box right up against the front wall just beneath the opening. It did the trick. She stepped into the box and out over the glass dish, which forced her to go deeper into the box to pee. Very little litter scatter and a dry floor this morning. 

She just needed to get into the box more, as before she was squatting before she was barely all in. 

I tried so many things. I laid awake thinking and thinking there MUST be some way…..

Keeping the glass dish clean will just be a part of cleaning the box. It’s pretty easy. And glass is non porous. 

Her box has plenty of opening on top for ventilation, so I hope this continues to  solve all issues. 

I agree with you that having to clean a glass dish is a small price to pay to keep cat urine inside a litter box. Small price, indeed! That's a problem solving win right there. Brilliant.

• Thanks 1

On 5/9/2023 at 9:29 AM, jplain said:

This is a cool option.  Basically a smaller version (but with a lid) of the tub I use.  If I had to have my cat’s box in the house I would definitely give this a try.

• Like 1