Menu

~~~WTM Cook-Along #2~~~ A Regional Dish & Something Layered!

WildflowerMom

Top 2 winners were a dish your region is known for and a layered dish.   Get to planning!    We'll have the next 2 weeks to post our results!    

What are you thinking about making?    I'm considering a peach cobbler (georgia) and a vegetarian lasagna or a layered taco salad.   I can't decide.   

I have some yufka in the fridge that needs to be turned into something layered, even if it's just with cheese.  Or maybe I'll try something sweet with tahini?  

I'm not very attached to my current region though, so I'm feeling unmotivated about making something regional.  I'm thinking about seeing if I can find a good food history connection.  Or maybe I'll make something from the place we just moved from.

• Like 3

Well I live in the suburbs of Philadelphia, so cheesesteak seems natural, but there is a better sandwich with roast pork that I'll be making later this week, or maybe this weekend. 

Layered... that will require a little thought. I remember when pesto/sun-dried tomato tortas were in vogue, but that does not sound appealing right now. 🙂

• Like 1

My region is known for oysters and blue crabs but no one in my house eats oysters and blue crabs leave me stumped. Maybe she crab soup? No one in my house would eat it tho. Maybe my grandmas salmon croquets? It was one of the only things she made that I ever liked.

• Like 1

Poop. I voted soup. LOL

And I live in Arizona and make no food from here, had to actually google what AZ food specialties are and they're all meh to me. So I'm going to make Tex-Mex since DH is a born and raised Texan and Tex-Mex is our favorite.

I did a beautiful asparagus dish last week for spring veggies but forgot to post.  

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Alte Veste Academy said:

Poop. I voted soup. LOL

And I live in Arizona and make no food from here, had to actually google what AZ food specialties are and they're all meh to me. So I'm going to make Tex-Mex since DH is a born and raised Texan and Tex-Mex is our favorite.

I did a beautiful asparagus dish last week for spring veggies but forgot to post.  

Feel free to post even if the time has passed!    I just time it to make it seem more like a fun challenge.    🤷🏻‍♀️. The timing also makes me actually do it, instead of putting it off.  I'm a procrastinator, lol.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, WildflowerMom said:

I'm also thinking about trying biscuits and gravy again (I always screw it up), since it's from my foo's region.   The picture won't be pretty, but hopefully it'll taste good!  

How does one screw up biscuits and gravy?  I don’t mean that in a mean way . . . what goes wrong?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well, this coincides well with tonight's dinner!

I spent my years in Texas working on my own chicken enchilada recipe, something close to what I tried years ago on the San Antonio Riverwalk but never found again.  Up here in the North I don't get nearly the range of peppers, so you can imagine how thrilled I was to find a large bag of mixed chilis on the "damaged" produce cart.  Tonight's sauce is made of roasted poblanos, cubanelles, and hatch chilis, pureed with the garlic & onions I slow cooked the chicken with, and finished with cilantro, lime, and salt.

I'll post a picture in a bit, if I can get one before the family finishes off the pan!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Danae said:

How does one screw up biscuits and gravy?  I don’t mean that in a mean way . . . what goes wrong?

Idk.   But I definitely do.   I never get the grease/flour ratio correct.    It's always either too thin or thick like glue.   Sometimes it tastes ok, but the texture is never right.   I'm watching YouTube videos tonite, lol.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

I spent my years in Texas working on my own chicken enchilada recipe, something close to what I tried years ago on the San Antonio Riverwalk but never found again.  Up here in the North I don't get nearly the range of peppers, so you can imagine how thrilled I was to find a large bag of mixed chilis on the "damaged" produce cart.  Tonight's sauce is made of roasted poblanos, cubanelles, and hatch chilis, pureed with the garlic & onions I slow cooked the chicken with, and finished with cilantro, lime, and salt.

I'll post a picture in a bit, if I can get one before the family finishes off the pan!

That sounds delicious!! 😋😋😋

This is a Ukrainian Christmas cake that I made in December of last year.  It’s got layers, alright—4 layers of sweet yeast dough, a poppyseed filling, a sweet walnut filling, and an apricot filling.  It’s HUGE, and I will probably never attempt it again, but it keeps by itself at room temp, kind of like fruit cake, and we ate it for a few months.  I will, however, make the fillings again for thumbprint cookies as they were pretty easy and truly outstanding in flavor.

A990B088-5971-4BA0-A73A-4E2E0B66FFC5.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Well, we have been all over so I made something 'regional' (just not my region) since I knew my family would eat it. LOL. 

Lamb kofta (this is my go-to recipe but I use twice as much of the garlic and ginger and no fennel...sorry not sorry), curried butternut squash soup (and lemon-y salad with lettuce and arugula from my garden. DH is dieting again.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

Well, we have been all over so I made something 'regional' (just not my region) since I knew my family would eat it. LOL. 

Lamb kofta (this is my go-to recipe but I use twice as much of the garlic and ginger and no fennel...sorry not sorry), curried butternut squash soup (and lemon-y salad with lettuce and arugula from my garden. DH is dieting again.

Your kofta link isn’t going to the right place.

I miss eating arugula all the time. It’s so expensive in the US and we live in an apartment right now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Amira said:

Your kofta link isn’t going to the right place.

I miss eating arugula all the time. It’s so expensive in the US and we live in an apartment right now.

Thanks, fixed it! I always thought our ME salads would benefit from the addition of arugula. Most just had romaine. Boo! Lemon, sumac, fresh herbs and oil...divine! The linked recipe SHOWS double the garlic and ginger but records only half. LOL.

Honestly, you should grow some arugula in a pot! It is so easy. DD's GF arrived two hours ago and said she smelled food and wanted to know if she could stay for dinner, lol. No complaints ('cept the soup. She and DD don't like most soups). DS was a BIG fan! DH isn't home yet.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, WildflowerMom said:

Y’all.   I’m going to be embarrassed posting my biscuits and gravy this week.  🤣.  I’m impressed by the cooking talents of this board!  Wow!! 

No! You shouldn't be. I'd like a good recipe for biscuits and gravy because I've only made it a few times and it wasn't great. And before anyone says "you don't need a recipe!" I do, because I didn't grow up watching grandma make it. It was never part of my family culture. My husband's, yes, but he didn't watch his grandma make it either. And his mom was a terrible cook who didn't actually like food and was afraid of fat, so... no biscuits and gravy at her table! 

Bring it on! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, WildflowerMom said:

Y’all.   I’m going to be embarrassed posting my biscuits and gravy this week.  🤣.  I’m impressed by the cooking talents of this board!  Wow!! 

I give you credit for just trying! The only biscuits I'd make would be from a Bisquick box.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Danae said:

I can not make gravy.

If I ever had to cook thanksgiving dinner alone, we’d have organic pastured bird, dish after dish of seasonal produce, stuffing made with multiple types of home made bread, and gravy from a jar at the supermarket poured on top.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, BandH said:

I can not make gravy.

If I ever had to cook thanksgiving dinner alone, we’d have organic pastured bird, dish after dish of seasonal produce, stuffing made with multiple types of home made bread, and gravy from a jar at the supermarket poured on top.

Nooooooooooooo...

My heart is breaking.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, BandH said:

I can not make gravy.

I can't make gravy either!  At least not the way my mom did (pour juices in pot, make a slurry of flour and water and then slowly add to juices until thickened).  I know the steps but the execution fails me everytime.  I can however make a roux just fine so if I really want gravy, I put the fluor in the pan and slowly add tiny amount of juices until the flour is all moist and then continue to add juice till gravy is thickened.  I have no idea why one method fails and one doesn't but I've stopped even trying and just do the roux thing.  I only make gravy a couple of times of year since I'm the only one in the family who likes it anyways. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, BandH said:

I can not make gravy.

Trader Joe's sells heat-and-serve gravy at Thanksgiving time. My people who eat gravy with their turkey say it is quite good. 

(I *think* the gravy for B&G is made differently than gravy with turkey or other meat drippings. The gravy for B&G has milk usually, right? Or am I muddying the waters here?)

2 hours ago, WildflowerMom said:

I'm also thinking about trying biscuits and gravy again (I always screw it up), since it's from my foo's region.   The picture won't be pretty, but hopefully it'll taste good!  

50 minutes ago, marbel said:

No! You shouldn't be. I'd like a good recipe for biscuits and gravy because I've only made it a few times and it wasn't great. And before anyone says "you don't need a recipe!" I do, because I didn't grow up watching grandma make it. It was never part of my family culture. My husband's, yes, but he didn't watch his grandma make it either. And his mom was a terrible cook who didn't actually like food and was afraid of fat, so... no biscuits and gravy at her table! 

Bring it on! 

Not to toot my own horn but biscuits and gravy are one of my specialties. I would love to help you have delicious biscuits and gravy! 

I have any easy homemade biscuits recipe if anyone interested

Edited by saraha
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, saraha said:

Not to toot my own horn but biscuits and gravy are one of my specialties. I would love to help you have delicious biscuits and gravy! 

I have any easy homemade biscuits recipe if anyone interested

The biscuits I can do. It's the gravy I haven't gotten right!  So, yes, how do you  make it? My husband and son would love it! 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, marbel said:

The biscuits I can do. It's the gravy I haven't gotten right!  So, yes, how do you  make it? My husband and son would love it! 

We just picked up our processed hogs and have tons of sausage, if interested I could make biscuits and gravy tomorrow and take pictures as I go? Is there a limit on pictures? 

eta: so I don’t highjack your thread @WildflowerMom I’ll make a new one for biscuits and gravy. I’m kindof excited about this.

Edited by saraha
  • Like 3

So, the trick with turkey gravy is you cut up the organ meat that comes with it into medium dice, and take the neck and the organs and simmer them in water to cover for about half an hour to an hour.  The neck should be just about falling apart when it’s all done.  Then you fish out the bones but leave the meat bits and little organ chunks.  Also you make about a pint of chicken broth from cubes, or buy some canned turkey broth.

You roast the turkey in a steel pan that is not nonstick coated so it can go onto the stove burners.  When it’s done, you take it out of the pan with lifters, plunk it onto a big cutting board with a blood groove, cover loosely with foil, and let it rest for a while before carving it.  

You boil some water in your teakettle, about two cups or so, and put the roasting pan across two burners on the stove, and pour boiling water into it, slowly, scraping the stuck on bits off the bottom of the pan as you do this.  You turn on the burners, and keep scraping the bottom until it’s pretty much clean.  Do not add any seasonings at that point.  No salt, especially.  So now you have this dark looking liquid, boiling in the pan, to which you add the broth you made from the neck and such.  Then you pour all of that into a big pot, a saucepan.  Maybe 4 quarts or so in size.  And you taste it, quick.  Is it very strong tasting?  If so, you dilute it with a little more water.  Is it a bit weak or just neutral, but you want more gravy than that, add the chicken or turkey broth.  Mix it very well.  Taste it again.  This is when you salt to taste, being more sparing than not.  You can always add more, but you can’t remove any, and the broth will have added a bunch of salt already, so you might not need any—I usually don’t.

Then in a 2 cup measuring cup put about 3/4 cup of cornstarch, and slowly stir in about 1 1/2 cups of COLD tap water.  When this is very smooth, you heat up the pot again, and whisk in the cornstarch mixture through a strainer, about 1/2 of it at first, in a steady stream.  Keep whisking until it boils and thickens.  Is it thick enough?  If not, repeat with a little more.  You made too much so that you wouldn’t have to mix it over and over.  Taste it again, and adjust with more salt if needed.

That’s how I do it, and my husband thinks my gravy is magical.  It never fails.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, saraha said:

We just picked up our processed hogs and have tons of sausage, if interested I could make biscuits and gravy tomorrow and take pictures as I go? Is there a limit on pictures? 

Yes, yes, yes please!  You should do that.  

You have plural processed hogs?  How much freezer space do you have?  I am suddenly very jealous.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BandH said:

Yes, yes, yes please!  You should do that.  

You have plural processed hogs?  How much freezer space do you have?  I am suddenly very jealous.

Total take home weight was 482 lbs. we raise hogs once a year for all the extended family, we kept two of the biggest as there are 8 of us.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HomeAgain said:

Yummmmm!!!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, saraha said:

eta: so I don’t highjack your thread @WildflowerMom I’ll make a new one for biscuits and gravy. I’m kindof excited about this.

I don’t mind at all!    I’m all for the recipes!  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Danae said:

It is definitely a food of my region but I have never been able to make them.  Part of the issue is I don’t care for biscuits or gravy, so I have never been motivated to practice.