Menu

~~~WTM Cook-Along #2~~~ A Regional Dish & Something Layered!

WildflowerMom

12 hours ago, saraha said:

Not to toot my own horn but biscuits and gravy are one of my specialties. I would love to help you have delicious biscuits and gravy! 

I have any easy homemade biscuits recipe if anyone interested

I am!  I would love to learn how for my dh’s sake.  

Edited by Scarlett
  • Like 2

Tonight I'm making something that you could call layered.  In a pasta bowl I will be putting a salad of rocket with a fresh lime/mint dressing.  On top - to wilt it slightly - will be warm cannelini beans made with home-made chicken stock, leeks, courgette, wild garlic and lemon zest (roughly a risotto level of liquid).  On the very top will be a simply salted and peppered hot pan-fried fillet of haddock, split between the two of us.  There will be lemon slices on the side in case more citrus is necessary, but I suspect it won't be.

ETA: oh, the fish is local - brought from the coast by fish van this morning and purchased five metres from my door.  I picked the wild garlic last spring and froze it. 

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 7

17 minutes ago, WildflowerMom said:

@Laura Corin, what is rocket?   Some sort of greens?   

I looked it up - it's arugula

ETA: https://www.eurocentres.com/blog/11-foods-different-names-uk-us

In general, because of different culinary influences, the UK is more likely to use French rather than Italian or Spanish words.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Thanks 1

Well I did the regional dish today.  Biscuits and gravy and grits and eggs.     I made it in honor or where my family is from: Appalachia, NC specifically.    It did not turn out like my nana’s, unfortunately.   I will not ever (attempt to) make gravy again.   I really studied hard for this assignment and failed.  Yet again.  It tasted ok but not like my family’s.    Next up is something layered. Possibly a Mexican dip since I’ve been in the mood for guacamole.  

(my biscuits were frozen. 🫢)

1D1AC8CC-DC28-4F26-AC5A-39195311A6B1.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, WildflowerMom said:

Well I did the regional dish today.  Biscuits and gravy and grits and eggs.     I made it in honor or where my family is from: Appalachia, NC specifically.    It did not turn out like my nana’s, unfortunately.   I will not ever (attempt to) make gravy again.   I really studied hard for this assignment and failed.  Yet again.  It tasted ok but not like my family’s.    Next up is something layered. Possibly a Mexican dip since I’ve been in the mood for guacamole.  

(my biscuits were frozen. 🫢)

1D1AC8CC-DC28-4F26-AC5A-39195311A6B1.jpeg

Oh no! What happened? It looks good though 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, saraha said:

Oh no! What happened? It looks good though 

It actually tastes pretty good, too, but it’s just not my nanas.   And it’s so much work for it not to turn out like I want it to.    🤷🏻‍♀️.  I forgot to brown some sausage in it so the bits in it are just the little leftover from the patties.   It was after I put the flour in that I realized I hadn’t browned some sausage bits up.  🙇🏻‍♀️. My cooking skills are just severely lacking and my ADD keeps me from concentrating on the next step.  I’m just all over the place in the kitchen.    At least this was edible, 🤣

2 minutes ago, WildflowerMom said:

It actually tastes pretty good, too, but it’s just not my nanas.   And it’s so much work for it not to turn out like I want it to.    🤷🏻‍♀️.  I forgot to brown some sausage in it so the bits in it are just the little leftover from the patties.   It was after I put the flour in that I realized I hadn’t browned some sausage bits up.  🙇🏻‍♀️. My cooking skills are just severely lacking and my ADD keeps me from concentrating on the next step.  I’m just all over the place in the kitchen.    At least this was edible, 🤣

Aw, I’m sorry

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, WildflowerMom said:

I wonder if she used a specific brand of sausage that had a distinct flavor, or maybe she added a little coffee?

Edited by saraha
  • Thanks 1

I, again, made something regional just not my region. Zucchini caponata. A friend of mine is laid up on bed rest with countdown to preemie twins so I’m gonna spend my weekend, prayerfully, making preemie boy jumpsuits. Her baby shower wasn’t until late June. She still needs low-salt recipes and this can be made omitting capers, olives and salt. ETA: it usually has celery too but DH hates it in anything other than bolognese so I left that out.

image.jpg

IMG_0329.jpeg

70433144158__A86A737A-6655-4108-90E2-98B95267639B.fullsizerender.jpeg

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 9

35 minutes ago, saraha said:

I wonder if she used a specific brand of sausage that had a distinct flavor, or maybe she added a little coffee?

My guess is the sausage was different.  I know there wasn’t coffee in hers.   But I think the sausage was different.   I’ll have to ask my cousin.  She makes her recipes like a pro.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, WildflowerMom said:

My guess is the sausage was different.  I know there wasn’t coffee in hers.   But I think the sausage was different.   I’ll have to ask my cousin.  She makes her recipes like a pro.  

Any eggplant recipe will do, just replace it with zucchini (and don’t pre-salt!) Today’s—fast— had onions, garlic, tomatoes, capers, roasted red peppers, yellow/zucchini squash, Kalamata olives, aged balsamic vinegar, salt and crushed red pepper.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/24/2023 at 4:01 PM, Carol in Cal. said:

This is a Ukrainian Christmas cake that I made in December of last year.  It’s got layers, alright—4 layers of sweet yeast dough, a poppyseed filling, a sweet walnut filling, and an apricot filling.  It’s HUGE, and I will probably never attempt it again, but it keeps by itself at room temp, kind of like fruit cake, and we ate it for a few months.  I will, however, make the fillings again for thumbprint cookies as they were pretty easy and truly outstanding in flavor.

A990B088-5971-4BA0-A73A-4E2E0B66FFC5.jpeg

Wow!  That is gorgeous and delicious-looking!

OK regional and layered: I will make a late-spring composed salad with our hens' jammy eggs, pan-roasted locally grown sweet potato slices, greens and baby kale from a farm nearby, dandelion greens from the yard, and the last of this season's scallops.  I'll make a lemony vinaigrette (very much not from our region) and serve it with my hubby's sourdough.

Fun thread, thank you!  Love seeing the pics even though I don't post them myself.

• Like 2

image.thumb.jpeg.8a04943f8fc853d52ad070ef8efc00f2.jpeg

A layered vegan and gluten free taco salad. It has Cocojune yogurt as a sub for sour cream, and I just threw some vegan cheese on. Don’t usually use that, but I needed to use it up. It has just a small bit of salsa and beans, which was fodmap-friendly enough to pass. Low in protein, but it was good. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, WildflowerMom said:

@Eos, what are jammy eggs?   

Eggs that are almost hard boiled but very soft in the yolk, not runny. I put mine into boiling water for 8 minutes, pull them out and run them under cold water, peel them a few minutes later.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sneaking this in.

This is what I call Spring Root Vegetables on a Bed of Asparagus Noodles Topped with Fresh Mandarins and an Orange Balsamic Vinaigrette. 

Layered and my tongue in cheek "regional". I'm in CA this was as pretentious because CA seems to be all about the crazy elaborate seasonal salads. The produce comes from our CSA so also it is "farm to table". It was yummy and does make for a great picture. 

image.thumb.jpeg.dd1c157166a88e8880ad296b729f574f.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My photo isn’t great so I’m not going to post it, but on Thursday we grilled store-bought blue corn tortillas over a flame for a few seconds, then topped them with traditional carnitas, rajas con crema, salsa verde, salsa roja, and queso fundido. Since we lived in Guadalajara for a couple of years, I’m counting this for both the regional and layered challenge. I’m going to make borek too, but it won’t happen till tomorrow. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm just getting to my regional dish today. It's in process now, but I never remember to take a photo anyway.  It's an Italian roast pork sandwich, made with slow-cooked pork shoulder with lots of garlic and rosemary, sauteed broccoli rabe, and provolone. To me, it's better than it's more famous cousin, the cheesesteak. Oh, my region is Philly! But once I said cheesesteak you probably knew that. 🙂

I first had it at a friend's kid's graduation party, and was led to this recipe. Tony Luke's is the name of the restaurant where this originated (so I'm told). I've never actually eaten at a Tony Luke's. 

https://www.food.com/recipe/tony-lukes-italian-roast-pork-sandwich-the-real-deal-109581

Edited by marbel
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1