Menu

Front Door Color

We're embarking on some home repairs/upgrades this year. One of the things I've always wanted is a non-white front door. We have a white metal door, white house with green shutters (they used to be hunter green, and they've faded to a green-gray which I actually like better than the original color). The house has a green roof (black with green flecks).

What color door would you go with? 

Oooh, found a picture of the front of my house from when the garden was freshly mulched. 

10275319_667690509934214_3760750864362367343_o.jpg (1920×1080)

• Like 1

If the green of the shutters is fading over time, I'd go with black or if you are okay with it, go with red - a bright bold color. 
Says the woman who lives in an HOA and can never pick a front door color other than the one we already have. 

• Like 3

If you're keeping the shutters as-is, I'd look at muted but still fun colors. 

So not bright blue, red, or yellow, but muted navy, rusty or possibly coppery reds, yellows with names like dandelion, butterscotch, mustard, yellow-oranges with names like tangerine, lavender might work really well. 

Muted colors mean you don't have to worry as much about a freshly painted door versus faded-to-a-nice-color shutters. 

Many browns would work, of course, but that's less exciting. 

• Like 2

I've always wanted a bright sky blue door, like so many white houses in on the Mediterranean seaside seem to have.  Repels the bad spirits, evidently; which I'm all in favor of.

I've never had the right house for it, and from the picture I'm not sure you do either, but one can dream.

Back to your house: color theory would suggest that somewhere out there exists a grey-purple that would both pop from the white and also complement your shutters.  A GOOD color mixer should be able to come close if you bring samples of the shutters.

• Like 2

I say paint it whatever color that strikes your fancy and puts a smile on your face. I'd choose a flat/eggshell finish vs a semigloss/glossy finish, though (but I just don't love shiny finishes in general).

Our front door has been cardinal red, sunshine yellow, rose pink, cobalt blue, peacock, and, as of a week ago, is now crayon green! It "matches" nothing - but our shutters are black, so I count that as a neutral and don't feel any need to match it. Sort of like we used to think our belts and shoes "had to match each other," but that's no longer the rule. 🙂 Our back door is the same color. (The inside of the doors are white to match all the other interior doors we have, but I have fun with the outside!)

I repaint every so often when I get tired of the color - I've found it's such a cheap/fun way to spruce things up around here.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Pam in CT said:

I've always wanted a bright sky blue door, like so many white houses in on the Mediterranean seaside seem to have.  Repels the bad spirits, evidently; which I'm all in favor of.

That's the color of my front door. 🙂

• Like 2