Menu

Do you “while away” the hours or “wile away” the hours?

Ausmumof3

Do you while away the hours or wile away the hours?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Which spelling are you familiar with?

• While away
    • Wile away
    • Obligatory other

I recently came across the phrase “while away the hours” in a book.” I had always though it as “wile away” as in the trick the hours to go faster and assumed it was an error. But some googling and online dictionary searches shows that both are actually considered correct and that “while” has historically been used as a verb. However most of the quotes from classical literature seemed to use “wile”. 

Which usage are you familiar with and is one older or more correct than the other?

• Like 1

I’m only familiar with while.  I think of it as spending an afternoon doing something pleasant and relaxing for the time to go by.  Like — reading a book or puttering in the yard.  

I am frequently wrong, though, lol.  

Edit:  I’m familiar with “whiling away the day” and “whiling away the afternoon.”  

Edit:  I think I have said before that I’m whiling away the afternoon if I have plans in the evening.  I’m just waiting for it to be evening, but not in a bad way, in a nice way.  Like — all the chores are done, there’s nothing pressing or urgent to do.  

Edited by Lecka
  • Like 1

I *really* pronounce “wh” but I have heard many people who say the “wh” sound exactly the same as I say the “w” sound for all words with “wh.”  To me they don’t even say “wh.”  I think they really do but I can’t distinguish it.

So I think it might be a pronunciation thing that is just part of an accent but things are basically the same word even though they are spelled differently.

Like — for the word “whale” I say it with such a “wh” but many people say what to me would be “wale.”  

I think I might have a strong accent to a person from Australia.  

4 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

as a verb, while means to "pass the time in a leisurely manner". 

wile means to entice, lure as a verb.

While I do see it listed as another way to say "wile away the time", it doesn't make sense when used in that way. 

It is used that way though according to MW.

Some authors that use it are Louisa May Alcott and Dickens. 

I always understood it to mean you “trick” the hours into passing quickly by doing something enjoyable. 

https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/while-away-wile-away-usage

I was wondering if there were maybe regional differences but it seems to be kind of evenly spread.

Wh and w sound the same with my accent which makes spelling hard for some kids unfortunately. 

• Like 3

Well, the first thing I thought of was "I could w[h]ile away the hours..." from the song "If I Only Had a Brain" (from Wizard of Oz) so I looked up some lyric sites and they all say "while."

Trivia: we had our pianist play this song at our wedding reception. 

Edited by marbel
  • Like 6

Whiling away time is not wasting time or being idle or lazy.

It has a positive connotation.

If you have chores and aren’t doing them, if you are neglecting a task, then that is not whiling away time.  That is wasting time or being lazy.

If you are taking a break or a rest, because you are tired, or need to pause, or need to take a few minutes to regroup and then get back to getting things done — that is not whiling away time, either.  Having a short time between two tasks is also not whiling away time.  

With my example of puttering in the yard — if there is work to be done, that needs to be done, that is not whiling away time.  

If you are just enjoying being out and seeing the fruits of your labors, and feeling like things are good in life, and thinking it’s nice to have things going well, then that could definitely be part of whiling away time.  

1 hour ago, Lecka said:

Whiling away time is not wasting time or being idle or lazy.

It has a positive connotation.

If you have chores and aren’t doing them, if you are neglecting a task, then that is not whiling away time.  That is wasting time or being lazy.

If you are taking a break or a rest, because you are tired, or need to pause, or need to take a few minutes to regroup and then get back to getting things done — that is not whiling away time, either.  Having a short time between two tasks is also not whiling away time.  

With my example of puttering in the yard — if there is work to be done, that needs to be done, that is not whiling away time.  

If you are just enjoying being out and seeing the fruits of your labors, and feeling like things are good in life, and thinking it’s nice to have things going well, then that could definitely be part of whiling away time.  

Kind of like the schole concept of leisure? When you actually have spare time and use it positively for rest/relaxation but in a positive/rejuvenating way not just kicking rocks around? Interesting distinction. It makes me kind of sad because it feels like a concept that is being lost in modern life? Could you say, “I whiled/wiled away the hours watching Netflix”? 😂😂

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

as a verb, while means to "pass the time in a leisurely manner". 

wile means to entice, lure as a verb.

While I do see it listed as another way to say "wile away the time", it doesn't make sense when used in that way. 

This.

As in my husband would be thrilled if I whiled my time using my feminine wiles on him. 

• Like 2