Menu

Erythritol news: this is not ideal

kokotg

Welp. I don't even know. I wonder if xylitol is any different? Or if this will hold up to more study. https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/27/health/zero-calorie-sweetener-heart-attack-stroke-wellness/index.html

A sugar replacement called erythritol — used to add bulk or sweeten stevia, monk-fruit, and keto reduced-sugar products — has been linked to blood clotting, stroke, heart attack and death, according to a new study.

People with existing risk factors for heart disease, such as diabetes, were twice as likely to experience a heart attack or stroke if they had the highest levels of erythritol in their blood, according to the study published Monday in the journal Nature Medicine.

• Sad 7

I saw that, too. I've never been a fan of the way it tastes. I use Sweetleaf stevia. It's just stevia and inulin. I'll have to look at what dh puts in his coffee. His may have it.

Also, sugar alcohols tear up my GI tract. I avoid them. No xylitol for me. 

Edited by popmom

5 minutes ago, popmom said:

I saw that, too. I've never been a fan of the way it tastes. I use Sweetleaf stevia. It's just stevia and inulin. I'll have to look at what dh puts in his coffee. His may have it.

See, my stomach doesn't like inulin 😞 Although in small amounts it's probably fine. I prefer xylitol to erythritol taste-wise, but apparently it has more effect on blood sugar than erythritol. But better that than a heart attack. But I'd be surprised if erythritol was terrible for your heart and xylitol was totally fine.

Edited by kokotg
  • Sad 1

This is not good news. We don’t use xylitol as a general sweetener, but make pretty liberal use of it in toothpaste, gums, and mints, for the sake of our teeth. Of course, we don’t know if xylitol will have the same association and we’d have to know a lot more about if it’s a causal factor or if they are merely associated.

Eta: it would be really good to know the dietary habits of the people in the study to know if those with a higher levels in their blood did indeed ingest more erythritol than those with lower. Seems common sense that of course they would, but it’s always possible this goes the other way around and some thing about their other heart risk factors causes more of the substance to end up in their blood.

Edited by KSera
  • Like 7

21 minutes ago, kokotg said:

See, my stomach doesn't like inulin 😞 Although in small amounts it's probably fine. I prefer xylitol to erythritol taste-wise, but apparently it has more effect on blood sugar than erythritol. But better that than a heart attack. But I'd be surprised if erythritol was terrible for your heart and xylitol was totally fine.

Sweetleaf makes drops that don't have inulin. I have never tried them though, so I can't comment on the taste. 

https://www.sweetleaf.com/collections/stevia-sweet-drops/products/sweetleaf-sweetdrops-steviaclear-4oz

Edited by popmom
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, kokotg said:

Welp. I don't even know. I wonder if xylitol is any different? Or if this will hold up to more study.

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04731363

“The principal goal for the study is to examine whether ingestion of a beverage containing artificial sweeteners alters in vitro platelet aggregation.

Because of the increasing number of cardiometabolic diseases, such as diabetes mellitus, in the population, the use of artificial sweeteners to replace free sugars has been gaining popularity. Two popular artificial sweeteners are erythritol and xylitol. Erythritol and xylitol are both naturally occurring polyols found in fruits and vegetables. They are potent artificial sweeteners with a higher sweetening intensity and lower calorie content than table sugar.

Previous research has shown that the higher levels of sugar alcohols, like those used as artificial sweeteners, in the blood are related to a higher risk of cardiovascular complications, like heart attacks and strokes, and death. This may be because higher levels of sugar alcohols in one's blood may increase the activity of platelets, which would then increase the risk of heart attack and stroke. The investigators therefore want to find if consuming a single beverage that contains an artificial sweetener can raise the levels of sugar alcohols in the blood and if it can alter platelet function or aggregation.

..:

The investigators have previously measured fasting levels of various polyols in a large clinical cohort of cardiovascular patients and found that some candidate polyols are related to a higher risk of cardiovascular complications and death. In vitro data using human platelets revealed that the polyols xylitol and erythritol at the levels observed in fasting patients induce platelet aggregation potential. The investigator's data shows that erythritol and xylitol impact platelet function and may, therefore, contribute to cardiovascular mortality.

In preliminary studies the investigators found that when ingesting either erythritol or xylitol, the levels of these sweeteners in the plasma rise within the first hour after consumption. With this study the investigators wish to examine whether the postprandial levels are capable of altering platelet function in vitro. The investigators hypothesize that postprandial polyol concentrations following ingestion increase platelet aggregation in the blood.

Study Type  : Interventional  (Clinical Trial)
Estimated Enrollment  : 40 participants
Allocation: Non-Randomized
Intervention Model: Parallel Assignment
Masking: None (Open Label)
Primary Purpose: Prevention
Official Title: Consumption of Oral Artificial Sweeteners on Platelet Aggregation and Polyol Excretion
Actual Study Start Date  : March 10, 2021
Estimated Primary Completion Date  : June 2023
Estimated Study Completion Date  : December 2023”
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, kokotg said:

Welp. I don't even know. I wonder if xylitol is any different? Or if this will hold up to more study. https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/27/health/zero-calorie-sweetener-heart-attack-stroke-wellness/index.html

Yes!  I was at WF a couple of months ago or on my zest to find "pure" monk fruit with NO additives!  I can find maybe 1.5 oz or so (I think) on Amaz for $20 more or less. I was hoping to find the one ingredient sugar replacement locally and at a cheaper price.  As I looked at the options on the shelf an AA couple came in.  Husband was in a wheelchair and wife was walking/shopping.  We struck up a conversation and I told her that the monk fruit had erythritol as an additive/filler.  It's cheaper to buy the blend.  I do NOT know the ratio though.  Is it 90% MF and 10% ERY, or vice versa, or middle?  She was relieved to learn the filler fact up front as she quickly checked her resource on her phone or so and learned her husband is NOT to have that substance for the concern of possible health conditions stated.  I didn't buy it and neither did they.  

I can't find it now, but after I read that study today I did some research that made me think the same is very likely true for xylitol. It convinced me enough that I am getting rid of our mints and toothpaste. Bummer. I hope my husband will avoid drinking this stuff going forward. 

• Sad 3

57 minutes ago, sheryl said:

Yes!  I was at WF a couple of months ago or on my zest to find "pure" monk fruit with NO additives!  I can find maybe 1.5 oz or so (I think) on Amaz for $20 more or less. I was hoping to find the one ingredient sugar replacement locally and at a cheaper price.  As I looked at the options on the shelf an AA couple came in.  Husband was in a wheelchair and wife was walking/shopping.  We struck up a conversation and I told her that the monk fruit had erythritol as an additive/filler.  It's cheaper to buy the blend.  I do NOT know the ratio though.  Is it 90% MF and 10% ERY, or vice versa, or middle?  She was relieved to learn the filler fact up front as she quickly checked her resource on her phone or so and learned her husband is NOT to have that substance for the concern of possible health conditions stated.  I didn't buy it and neither did they.  

What does AA mean?

51 minutes ago, sbgrace said:

I can't find it now, but after I read that study today I did some research that made me think the same is very likely true for xylitol. It convinced me enough that I am getting rid of our mints and toothpaste. Bummer. I hope my husband will avoid drinking this stuff going forward. 

I wonder if just sticking to it in toothpaste only would be a happy medium--dental benefits without ingesting much. I won't eat the mints. Gum is tougher, because I expect we're swallowing all the xylitol in the first minute or two of chewing it. And the xylitol gum is so helpful in siutations where it's not possible to brush. Surely it's so much less than eating or drinking foods and drinks sweetened with it, though.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, KSera said:

I wonder if just sticking to it in toothpaste only would be a happy medium--dental benefits without ingesting much. I won't eat the mints. Gum is tougher, because I expect we're swallowing all the xylitol in the first minute or two of chewing it. And the xylitol gum is so helpful in siutations where it's not possible to brush. Surely it's so much less than eating or drinking foods and drinks sweetened with it, though.

This is what I’m thinking. Adding erythritol to every drink, dessert, bowl of oatmeal, etc is extreme compared to brushing teeth and chewing gum with xylitol. I’m not throwing out the toothpaste, but I’ll probably toss the Truvia and go back to plain stevia. It’s annoying because my favorite ones are from Trader Joe’s (not local to me) and Trim Healthy Mama (requires shipping.) 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, kristin0713 said:

This is what I’m thinking. Adding erythritol to every drink, dessert, bowl of oatmeal, etc is extreme compared to brushing teeth and chewing gum with xylitol. I’m not throwing out the toothpaste, but I’ll probably toss the Truvia and go back to plain stevia. It’s annoying because my favorite ones are from Trader Joe’s (not local to me) and Trim Healthy Mama (requires shipping.) 

yes...I wouldn't be terribly worried about relatively tiny amounts of xylitol. I do suspect that erythritol got singled out and not xylitol because people tend to consume it in much larger amounts because it's a more common sweetener in pre-packaged stuff. I actually bake with xylitol as a 1 to 1 sugar substitute. Or at least I used to. Sigh. I guess my choices are diabetes, heart failure, or never eat dessert again. Excuse me while I go get my chocolate fix with a small square of 85% dark chocolate (carefully chosen from the tiny list of lead-free brands)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, popmom said:

I also use Sweetleaf stevia.  I like very much that it's just stevia and inulin (or I sometimes use the liquid tincture) I have not been a fan of the bulking products.  I do find that erythriol sneaks its way into other 'natural alternative sweetened' products, that use a mix of stevia, monkfruit, coconut sugar, erythriol, xylitol, and sugar alcohols... Sigh, another reason to stay away from processed foods, even ones that claim to be 'healthy'...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Paige said:

Is erythritol clearly listed in ingredients separate from stevia? DH loves stevia based products (I hate them) but I don't see anything with erythritol on the label in our house. 

Yes, should be.  Stevia is a TON sweeter than sugar, so it needs a lot of bulking to get to the same volume as sugar.  The Sweetleaf and some other brands that don't use erythriol are not bulked to anywhere close to the volume of sugar.

I know that Truvia is mostly erythriol with a dash of stevia added.  I hate that stuff.  It has erythriol on the label.

5 hours ago, popmom said:

Sweetleaf makes drops that don't have inulin. I have never tried them though, so I can't comment on the taste. 

https://www.sweetleaf.com/collections/stevia-sweet-drops/products/sweetleaf-sweetdrops-steviaclear-4oz

You can also just get Stevia as a 'white powder' with no fillers at all.  Then 1.5 teaspoons of stevia is equal to 1 CUP of sugar.  That's what I usually use for baking.  I use the stuff with inulin in my yogurt (0.5 teaspoons/1 packet = 2 teaspoons of sugar), and the liquid drops with no inulin in my coffee.

There is also another brand, NuNaturals, that like Sweetleaf predated the time where Stevia could be sold as a sweetener and you could only find it in the 'herbals' aisle.  All the erythriol bulked 1:1 with sugar products appeared when they were approved to be in the baking aisle, and they get all the shelf space (well, I guess the packages are way bigger - but they're also from the big brands).  Their packets are bulked with maltodextrin, but only to the 0.5t to 2t ratio, not 1:1 like the erythriol bulked products.  They also sell the pure powder that's 1.5t = 1 c. sugar.

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, athena1277 said:

I don’t use artificial sweeteners, but my mom does.  Does Splenda have erythritol?  Or is it something totally different?  I tried to look it up, but all I get are different links to places that published the article.

https://www.splenda.com/faqs/what-is-erythritol-2/
“The erythritol used in Splenda Brand Sweetener products is Non-GMO Project Verified and is produced by a fermentation process using non-GMO corn. The product is then filtered and dried into crystals.”

https://www.splenda.com/faqs/where-can-i-find-the-ingredients-for-splenda-products/

”Where can I find the ingredients for Splenda® Brand Products?

Ingredients for each of our products can be viewed on individual product pages. Find the product you’re looking for here.”

So, what's the deal with the stuff labeled 'sugar alcohol' that goes into some products?  Is that similar to, or worse, another name for, erythriol?  I have some protein bars that have as an ingredient - looking more closely, it's listed as 'malitol syrup' in the ingredient list and 'sugar alcohol' in the Nutrition Facts label.  Do I need to stop eating these??  

6 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

So, what's the deal with the stuff labeled 'sugar alcohol' that goes into some products?  Is that similar to, or worse, another name for, erythriol? 

https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/InteractiveNutritionFactsLabel/assets/InteractiveNFL_SugarAlcohols_October2021.pdf
Action Steps
For Monitoring Sugar Alcohols in Your Diet

Use the Nutrition Facts label as a tool for monitoring consumption of sugar alcohols. Food manufacturers may voluntarily list the amount in grams (g) per serving of sugar alcohols on the Nutrition Facts label (under Total Carbohydrate). They may also list the name of a specific sugar alcohol if only one is added to the food. But, food manufacturers are required to list sugar alcohols if a statement is made on the package labeling about the health effects of sugar alcohols or sugars (when sugar alcohols are present in the food).
o Look for sugar alcohols on the ingredient list on a food package. Some examples of sugar alcohols are erythritol, hydrogenated starch hydrolysates (HSH), isomalt, lactitol, maltitol, mannitol, sorbitol, and xylitol.
Tip: Ingredients are listed in descending order by weight—the closer an ingredient is to the beginning of the list, the more of that ingredient is in the food.
o When choosing “sugar-free” foods containing sugar alcohols, remember to use the Nutrition Facts label to compare the calories and nutrients in the sugar-free version to the regular version. These products may still have a significant amount of calories, carbohydrate, and fat.”

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/InteractiveNutritionFactsLabel/assets/InteractiveNFL_SugarAlcohols_October2021.pdf
Action Steps
For Monitoring Sugar Alcohols in Your Diet

Use the Nutrition Facts label as a tool for monitoring consumption of sugar alcohols. Food manufacturers may voluntarily list the amount in grams (g) per serving of sugar alcohols on the Nutrition Facts label (under Total Carbohydrate). They may also list the name of a specific sugar alcohol if only one is added to the food. But, food manufacturers are required to list sugar alcohols if a statement is made on the package labeling about the health effects of sugar alcohols or sugars (when sugar alcohols are present in the food).
o Look for sugar alcohols on the ingredient list on a food package. Some examples of sugar alcohols are erythritol, hydrogenated starch hydrolysates (HSH), isomalt, lactitol, maltitol, mannitol, sorbitol, and xylitol.
Tip: Ingredients are listed in descending order by weight—the closer an ingredient is to the beginning of the list, the more of that ingredient is in the food.
o When choosing “sugar-free” foods containing sugar alcohols, remember to use the Nutrition Facts label to compare the calories and nutrients in the sugar-free version to the regular version. These products may still have a significant amount of calories, carbohydrate, and fat.”

Thanks, and UGH.  So, I'm guessing the malitol, as others have mentioned with xylitol, is likely not much better than the erythriol?  

Sigh.  I probably shouldn't eat those over-processed bars anyway... 😬

I’ve always been leery of most stevia products because I figured out that the actual amount of stevia is very minimal In comparison to the sugar alcohols as ingredients. Always felt scammy to me.

Sweetleaf brand was around before all these Truvia, Pure-via, Stevia-in-the-Raw, etc came on the market. I mean, they are popular for a reason. Pure stevia has a bitter aftertaste if too much is used. Dh has always preferred Stevia in the Raw, but hopefully he’ll switch. It sounds like Splenda or even Equal would be better alternatives at this point. Heck maybe even sweet n low! If for no other reason than you don’t have to use much at all to get the same level of sweetness. 

Edited by popmom

6 hours ago, kokotg said:

I guess I better hurry up and finish this batch of brownies sweetened with xylitol that I just made before December when that study is finished 😂

23 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

Thanks, and UGH.  So, I'm guessing the malitol, as others have mentioned with xylitol, is likely not much better than the erythriol?  

Sigh.  I probably shouldn't eat those over-processed bars anyway... 😬

DS18 complained that the protein bar on sale at grocery outlet taste like the fluoride paste used at the dentist. He is very picky with super taster tendencies. Sugar free items tend to give me diarrhea so I avoid anything labeled sugar free.

This is the “fluoride tasting” bar: Truth Bar Healty Snacks Pack, Diabetic Protein Breakfast Bars - Energy Food Toasted Marshmallow Dark Chocolate 

0827E8D9-54B5-48CE-846F-B8EB67E15C9D.thumb.jpeg.0f63c7ef1332bb89620a8afcb76116e4.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

DS18 complained that the protein bar on sale at grocery outlet taste like the fluoride paste used at the dentist. He is very picky with super taster tendencies. Sugar free items tend to give me diarrhea so I avoid anything labeled sugar free.

This is the “fluoride tasting” bar: Truth Bar Healty Snacks Pack, Diabetic Protein Breakfast Bars - Energy Food Toasted Marshmallow Dark Chocolate 

0827E8D9-54B5-48CE-846F-B8EB67E15C9D.thumb.jpeg.0f63c7ef1332bb89620a8afcb76116e4.jpeg

It’s most likely sugar alcohols that give you diarrhea. That’s how they affect me. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

I am sensitive to aspartame as well so avoid soda labeled as diet or soda free. I do look at ingredient lists before eating usually.

That stinks! I’m okay with the occasional Diet Coke. Aspartame doesn’t bother me.  I honestly prefer real sugar! Cokes from Mexico are the best treat. 🙂

I get my sweet cravings satisfied by making my own iced tea. I put in 1/3 cup sugar for 2 quarts. If I’m craving sweeter than that, I’ll add half a packet of Sweetleaf Stevia. 

I’m not diabetic (yet). The more I read, the more I’m convinced that I just want to use sugar —with great discretion—in my diet. That and do heavy work when I’m able. I’m fortunate that I don’t have a “sweet tooth”. I can go months and months without dessert. I just want a bit of sweetness in my tea. 

I actually have recently determined to make more (real sugar) treats for myself and my family. It’s a thing. Complicated. I have 2 kids recovering from EDs. I’m more and more convinced that there are NO bad foods. I think my avoidance of sugar in the past has been a tad extreme. 😞 Not intentional—I just don’t crave it. Everyone’s mileage will vary, of course.

Edited by popmom
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, popmom said:

That stinks! I’m okay with the occasional Diet Coke. Aspartame doesn’t bother me.  I honestly prefer real sugar! Cokes from Mexico are the best treat. 🙂

Coca Cola and other sodas in glass bottles reminds me of my childhood days 🙂  Stores here do sell sodas from Mexico.

• Like 3

My takeaway is that there aren't really any sweeteners, real or artificial, that are a good idea in large amounts. Like the article quoted one of the scientists saying that they're finding erythritol raises your risk of heart disease as much as diabetes. So, you know, just give up on trying not to get diabetes isn't a good alternative plan. We already knew that sugar is associated with all kinds of health risks. There are still concerns about cancer risk and sweeteners like aspartame (which I know everyone has officially declared safe, but they said about erythritol, too). My problem is I very much DO have a sweet tooth (and the aforementioned love of chocolate). It's very specifically about wanting chocolate-bearing desserts, really. I don't add sugar to anything like coffee or tea; I don't eat sugary granola bars or cereals or whatever....I just like to have something sweet and chocolatey sometimes and also not die of heart disease or get diabetes (which I have an extremely strong family history of). Why is it so hard?! 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, kokotg said:

.I just like to have something sweet and chocolatey sometimes and also not die of heart disease or get diabetes (which I have an extremely strong family history of). Why is it so hard?! 

My go-to is cashew-prune-cocoa balls. Around 50g of cashews blitzed into small chunks. 80g of prunes blitzed until smooth, then around half a teaspoon of cocoa powder added. Rolled into balls and briefly chilled. Dates would work and different nuts if you prefer.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Katy said:

I follow this guy on YouTube & Instagram. It was an incredibly small study. 

I don't know if he's talking about a different study or what, but that doesn't sound anything like the one the CNN article linked above is talking about. 

Hazen’s research had a simple goal: find unknown chemicals or compounds in a person’s blood that might predict their risk for a heart attack, stroke or death in the next three years. To do so, the team began analyzing 1,157 blood samples in people at risk for heart disease collected between 2004 and 2011.

“We found this substance that seemed to play a big role, but we didn’t know what it was,” Hazen said. “Then we discovered it was erythritol, a sweetener.”

The human body naturally creates erythritol but in very low amounts that would not account for the levels they measured, he said.

To confirm the findings, Hazen’s team tested another batch of blood samples from over 2,100 people in the United States and an additional 833 samples gathered by colleagues in Europe through 2018. About three-quarters of the participants in all three populations had coronary disease or high blood pressure, and about a fifth had diabetes, Hazen said. Over half were male and in their 60s and 70s.

In all three populations, researchers found that higher levels of erythritol were connected to a greater risk of heart attack, stroke or death within three years.

oh, I see...he's talking about the next part, where they tried to figure out what exactly was happening and why the correlation. That was indeed 8 people. But the association they found that led to that study is definitely concerning (although there could be other explanations for it...like that higher risk people are more likely to consume a lot of erythritol anyway, perhaps).

Edited by kokotg
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, kokotg said:

It also says that they had already done testing before the 8 person study that showed that erythritol was provoking clotting in the blood. The 8 person study was just one small part of the whole thing.

https://newsroom.clevelandclinic.org/2023/02/27/cleveland-clinic-study-finds-common-artificial-sweetener-linked-to-higher-rates-of-heart-attack-and-stroke/
“New Cleveland Clinic research showed that erythritol, a popular artificial sweetener, is associated with an increased risk of heart attack and stroke. Findings were published today in Nature Medicine.

Researchers studied over 4,000 people in the U.S. and Europe and found those with higher blood erythritol levels were at elevated risk of experiencing a major adverse cardiac event such as heart attack, stroke or death. They also examined the effects of adding erythritol to either whole blood or isolated platelets, which are cell fragments that clump together to stop bleeding and contribute to blood clots. Results revealed that erythritol made platelets easier to activate and form a clot. Pre-clinical studies confirmed ingestion of erythritol heightened clot formation.”

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-023-02223-9

Abstract

Artificial sweeteners are widely used sugar substitutes, but little is known about their long-term effects on cardiometabolic disease risks. Here we examined the commonly used sugar substitute erythritol and atherothrombotic disease risk. In initial untargeted metabolomics studies in patients undergoing cardiac risk assessment (n = 1,157; discovery cohort, NCT00590200), circulating levels of multiple polyol sweeteners, especially erythritol, were associated with incident (3 year) risk for major adverse cardiovascular events (MACE; includes death or nonfatal myocardial infarction or stroke). Subsequent targeted metabolomics analyses in independent US (n = 2,149, NCT00590200) and European (n = 833, DRKS00020915) validation cohorts of stable patients undergoing elective cardiac evaluation confirmed this association (fourth versus first quartile adjusted hazard ratio (95% confidence interval), 1.80 (1.18–2.77) and 2.21 (1.20–4.07), respectively). At physiological levels, erythritol enhanced platelet reactivity in vitro and thrombosis formation in vivo. Finally, in a prospective pilot intervention study (NCT04731363), erythritol ingestion in healthy volunteers (n = 8) induced marked and sustained (>2 d) increases in plasma erythritol levels well above thresholds associated with heightened platelet reactivity and thrombosis potential in in vitro and in vivo studies. Our findings reveal that erythritol is both associated with incident MACE risk and fosters enhanced thrombosis. Studies assessing the long-term safety of erythritol are warranted.”

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kokotg said:

.I just like to have something sweet and chocolatey sometimes and also not die of heart disease or get diabetes (which I have an extremely strong family history of). Why is it so hard?! 

Here’s one of our favorites, which is totally delicious and healthy.

Chocolate hazelnut (or whatever kind of nut you like) nice cream:

1/3 cup unsweetened plant milk

2 T unsweetened, non-alkalized cocoa powder

2 ripe bananas, frozen

1/3 cup raw hazelnuts or other nuts such as macadamia, cashews, or walnuts

2 medjool or 4 regular dates, pitted

Blend all ingredients in a high-powered blender. Takes about 5 minutes to make.

• Thanks 3

32 minutes ago, Selkie said:

Here’s one of our favorites, which is totally delicious and healthy.

Chocolate hazelnut (or whatever kind of nut you like) nice cream:

1/3 cup unsweetened plant milk

2 T unsweetened, non-alkalized cocoa powder

2 ripe bananas, frozen

1/3 cup raw hazelnuts or other nuts such as macadamia, cashews, or walnuts

2 medjool or 4 regular dates, pitted

Blend all ingredients in a high-powered blender. Takes about 5 minutes to make.

I appreciate it, but sweetening things with fruit doesn't solve my blood sugar issues, which is the main reason I use fake sugar in the first place. I do make smoothies with a small handful of blueberries or whatever, but I really can't do more fruit than that without my sugar spiking. 2 bananas is more carbs than I eat in a day a lot of the time. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kokotg said:

Relatedly, I think it's going to be REALLY important going forward, as we follow where this research goes, to remember who has a financial interest in erythritol being totally fine and who doesn't. 

Absolutely. Follow the money. Who pays for what studies.

• Like 1

My own personal study

Last year I switched Stevia brands to one I had used before (cut with glycerine)... it is now cut with 'organic sugar alcohol'.

I have since developed a severe blood clotting issue-- I'm otherwise healthy but I'm now under the care of a oncologist/hematologist due to my out of control issues...currently I'm at an extremely high risk for heart attach and stroke (more so on the stroke side). 

My Stevia is now in the trash-- I may or may not replace it with a 'pure stevia'... perhaps I'll go back to sugar in my tea.

--

20 or so years ago I racked up over $1,000,000 of medical bills due to aspartame (DO NOT PUT IT IN HOT LIQUIDS or bake with it as it will convert to formaldehyde!)    I guess I'm a slow learner.

Hopefully my body will quickly detox from this new chemical exposure... 

UGG

• Sad 9

The only thing stevia-sweetened that I like is Lily’s chocolate. Generally, I find it has an unpleasant aftertaste.

I had been using a monk fruit and erythritol blend occasionally in stir fry and a few other dishes.

Back to plain old sugar and just not having those foods or very small servings. 

Honey, dried fruit, etc. are just as out-of-bounds as sugar for many of us. Blood sugar is the issue, more than what specific food causes it. 

I do have a sweet tooth, so being diabetic is crummy sometimes. But there are plenty of yummy, satisfying things to eat and still have a good A1c. 

I don’t like erythritol.  But anecdotally, everyone I know who does like it struggles with obesity and manage it with a highly processed, low carb diet that is more similar to traditional Atkins than anything anyone would consider healthy. Unless 80% of calories from saturated fat is healthy. So their cholesterol and insulin are high. And all of them have had Covid multiple times. I believe any point in the previous 8 months puts you at risk for blood clots.

My point is, it would take a lot more than this study to convince me that the odd 80 calorie protein snack bar I like occasionally is a terrible idea. Or that I should toss my xylitol based dental hygiene products. 

ETA: I’m one of the people for who stevia is reliable birth control. 

Edited by Katy