Menu

Baby shower etiquette?

Drama Llama

I mentioned to my mother that DH's sisters and I are planning a little shower for DH's brother and his wife.  Mostly family, but also some old family friends of theirs.  Her friends are also throwing her a shower, but these would be people closer to him than to her, who knew him growing up.  

My mother thought this was a terrible idea, because the host of a shower should never be family.

What does the Hive say?  

It's really normal for the host to be a family member.

Your mom is remembering some old-fashioned etiquette, designed to prevent a sense of 'gift grabbing' -- for a more distant person to be the instigator of a shower, but that's long out of the norm. Many people don't really have people in the category of 'close enough to host something on my behalf' who aren't their family members. Nobody cares any more. (At least not anybody who is reasonable and in-touch with the ways times change.)

• Like 4

On dh's side, the family always hosts. It might be an aunt. I've hosted one for a sil. But sometimes it has been mil because she was local and had the energy and means to pull it off. It is a little bit of a sad topic for me. There has been a long standing tradition of playing Monte Carlo Whist at all wedding and baby showers in his family (like for generations), but the past few young women who've been the recipients of showers weren't interested in Whist.

Yes, it’s one of those old etiquette things, think Miss Manners, but no one really follows it anymore. My mother and aunt were scandalized (ok, maybe not, but it did raise eyebrows) when my SIL’s family threw a shower for her. That was back in the 90s. But, seriously, it doesn’t seem like a big deal now. My mother and her twin are 82 now, and even they probably don’t blink when they hear about family-thrown showers now. 

Throw the shower and have a blast! Just share all the cool menus with us, because it’s so much fun reading your menus!

Edited by Spryte
  • Like 1

We come from simple folk and sisters were fine but better was another step removed like a cousin or an aunt. But never ever the mother. When my brother got married 27 years ago my sister in law’s mother threw her a fancy wedding shower at a fancy restaurant because no one else would throw that sort of thing and man was it the talk. 

But now I see moms/Grandmas doing it all the time and the guest of honor is planning it for exactly how she wants it rather than being a guest of honor and just accepting what is thrown for her. 

I don’t think anyone needs to follow these rules anymore. It can look like a gift grab if the guest of honor is planning it and the mom is throwing it but the guests are free to participate or not. All the cards are on the table. Lol. I actually recently got an invite to an event that felt like a very blatant gift grab and I kind of giggled but I wanted to send a gift so I did. Others I wouldn’t. 

But I think the event described in the OP is just fine. I actually think it is even not 100% like family throwing it because even though it is for the couple, traditionally it is focused on the woman and the in laws could throw a shower. I think it’s totally fine. If anyone is offended you can have fun without them.