Menu

Sore throat for weeks

ShepCarlin

My throat has been sore since December 3. I worked all day that day (work in retail) and then had to go to hubby's company Christmas party. I remember saying that before we got there my throat hurt from talking all day. Of course, at the party, there was a loud band so you had to raise your voice to talk to anyone. Since that day, my throat has been horribly sore. It feels like someone ran a fork down it.

I'm not sick, in fact, never felt better (other than the throat). I don't have any other symptoms at all. I rested my voice on December 4 as I knew I needed to but the rest did nothing. Dealing with the holiday madness and working retail part time certainly doesn't help. But I was home all day yesterday and today. I made a point not to talk unless necessary and it still hurts. I've been drinking an obscene amount of water and lots of Yogi Throat Comfort tea. 

Obviously since it's been 8 weeks, I should call my doctor. But if it's just strained vocal cords, what can she recommend other than rest and fluids? 

I had a sore throat that lasted like 8 weeks on two different occasions.  Both started with a garden variety cold, but the cold was long gone after a week and the sore throat stayed and stayed and stayed.  The doctor (a different doctor each time) said it was some inflammatory thing and to take a bunch of advil to knock down the inflammation.  

That said, I think that anything that hangs on that long probably needs a visit to the doctor to rule out more problematic possibilities.

• Like 1

I'm already on Prilosec. I take one in the morning and one in the evening. I actually had an endoscopy a week after the sore throat started (endoscopy had been planned for months). I have some esophageal webbing but that's it. Gastro doctor said he saw some evidence of acid reflux damage but I haven't had the acid reflux symptoms since I started taking Prilosec twice a day. It's just weird because the pain started so suddenly on Dec.3 but has not abated since then.

If it is strep, wouldn't my husband be feeling it also? Strep is horribly contagious so I'd imagine he'd be showing symptoms. Honestly, the only symptom I have is the terrible sore throat. I do have allergies and acid reflux but this really doesn't seem to be either of those as the throat pain just came up on me late afternoon on Dec.3. I have decided to move my nightly nasal rinse to the morning to see if that helps. My tonsils were removed when I was a child so no inflamed or swollen tonsils. There is some white streakiness on my throat when I look in the mirror. 

I guess it could be Covid. I am fully vaccinated so I guess I could just have the one symptom? But for 8 weeks??

My husband had strep and the rashes too but no one else in our family got it. He went to urgent care and they did the strep test there. The staff wasn’t worried about his strep being contagious but “freak out” when DS17 had hand foot and mouth disease. 

DD had a virus ( not strep/covid/flu) and had a sore throat for a few weeks after it.  We tried several things including antibiotics incase it was strep but not showing up on a test ( our ped had seen a few of this so far this winter).  Nothing worked and it went away after some weeks.  She just got up one morning and it was gone.  

Edited by itsheresomewhere
  • Like 1

Oh my gosh, me too! Pretty much the exact same time period. I had Covid during the first weeks of this month and my sore throat went through the roof. But before Covid and now after, I have a sore throat that goes from mild to really uncomfortable. I can find no rhyme nor reason to why it's bad one day but mild another. I know I need to go to the doctor but I'm already dealing with so many other health things that I'm putting it off. I hope you find a solution to yours. Seeing your post has lit a fire under me and I think I'll go try to make an appointment now.

• Like 2

Back from walk in clinic. Rapid strep was negative and NP really didn't even want to test for it-I had to ask her to. She said I have a borderline ear infection but other than that found nothing. Suggested I try Flonase for a few days to see if that helps and if it doesn't take Amoxicillin. If that doesn't work, call either the GI doctor to see if it is acid reflux or call an ENT.

She was truly stumped. I'm not keen on taking antibiotics unless I know for sure it's an infection but I guess I'll try the Amoxicillin if the Flonase doesn't calm my throat down. What is so weird about it is that I can pinpoint it to the day when it started hurting and it's not improved or worsened since then. That leads her to think it's not acid reflux. This is incredibly annoying. And painful.

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, ShepCarlin said:

Back from walk in clinic. Rapid strep was negative and NP really didn't even want to test for it-I had to ask her to. She said I have a borderline ear infection but other than that found nothing. Suggested I try Flonase for a few days to see if that helps and if it doesn't take Amoxicillin. If that doesn't work, call either the GI doctor to see if it is acid reflux or call an ENT.

She was truly stumped. I'm not keen on taking antibiotics unless I know for sure it's an infection but I guess I'll try the Amoxicillin if the Flonase doesn't calm my throat down. What is so weird about it is that I can pinpoint it to the day when it started hurting and it's not improved or worsened since then. That leads her to think it's not acid reflux. This is incredibly annoying. And painful.

That is annoying! And the exact reason why I've been dragging my feet on seeing a doctor about it. I even had an appointment with my primary in December and didn't even bring it up with him. I just stuck to our usual topics because it seemed like more trouble than it was worth. 🤦‍♀️

5 minutes ago, stephanier.1765 said:

That is annoying! And the exact reason why I've been dragging my feet on seeing a doctor about it. I even had an appointment with my primary in December and didn't even bring it up with him. I just stuck to our usual topics because it seemed like more trouble than it was worth. 🤦‍♀️

Yep. She kept looking at me as if I'm crazy. All of her suggestions to alleviate the pain I have already tried. It felt like a pointless visit. 

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, ShepCarlin said:

Back from walk in clinic. Rapid strep was negative and NP really didn't even want to test for it-I had to ask her to.

My husband’s rapid strep test was negative while the strep culture test was positive. This was pre-pandemic so his boss told him to work from home and it didn’t count towards his sick leave. We are used to telling urgent care what we want them to test for.

ETA: not saying you have strep. Just that the rapid test can give false negatives. 

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Arcadia said:

My husband’s rapid strep test was negative while the strep culture test was positive. This was pre-pandemic so his boss told him to work from home and it didn’t count towards his sick leave. We are used to telling urgent care what we want them to test for.

ETA: not saying you have strep. Just that the rapid test can give false negatives. 

We've had strep 3-5 times. Each time that rapid strep test came back negative. Usually Dr. would look at throat, say that sure likes like strep to me, that test is wrong about 50% of the time, and write a script. One time Dr sent off culture to be sure - and yes, it was strep. So thankful we could start on antibiotics and get it knocked out quickly. I've encouraged my kids to push for a script if the doctor thinks it looks like strep even if the rapid test comes back negative. Strep hurts so badly. 

• Like 3

Oh I’m irritated. I woke up yesterday with my ears just killing me so I decided to start the amoxicillin. I just felt kinda crappy all day but just had the constant sore throat & ear pain. Woke up this morning feeling worse-along with chest heaviness & a cough. Took a covid test as a precaution and it’s positive. Fever kicked in 30 minutes ago. I’m fully vaccinated so hoping this will be a minor inconvenience.

• Sad 20

Hope you both feel better, @ShepCarlin and @stephanier.1765!

Totally agree with previous posters about seeing a doctor. 

A couple additional home care thoughts, use mouthwash with Cetylpyridinium Chloride (CPC) 2-3x day. Read the label to find a product with that active ingredient, which has some efficacy against both SARS2 and strep. 

https://www.irsicaixa.es/en/news/cpc-mouthwashes-shown-humans-break-membrane-sars-cov-2-and-reduce-amount-active-virus-saliva

Try self-massage for lymphatic drainage in the head and neck, to help move waste fluid out, reduce inflammation and allow better circulation for healing tissues. After watching a few times I figured out an easy 5-10 minute sequence, depending how much time I have. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ShepCarlin said:

Oh I’m irritated. I woke up yesterday with my ears just killing me so I decided to start the amoxicillin. I just felt kinda crappy all day but just had the constant sore throat & ear pain. Woke up this morning feeling worse-along with chest heaviness & a cough. Took a covid test as a precaution and it’s positive. Fever kicked in 30 minutes ago. I’m fully vaccinated so hoping this will be a minor inconvenience.

My husband had Covid late last year and felt that Paxlovid helped a lot.  You have to start it right after onset of symptoms, and it sounds like your Covid might be new, so I’d ask about it.

5 minutes ago, Carol in Cal. said:

My husband had Covid late last year and felt that Paxlovid helped a lot.  You have to start it right after onset of symptoms, and it sounds like your Covid might be new, so I’d ask about it.

I just got off the phone with my doctor’s office. I have a virtual visit tomorrow afternoon. 

• Like 1