Menu

Please pray for my nephew

Mrs Tiggywinkle Again

23 minutes ago, Jaybee said:

And what about babies who haven't had the vaccine yet??

And this. That vax is at 18 months. So this leaves a vulnerable population. While they do check measles titers in pregnant women, I don't think they check for mumps, and that mom to baby immunity wouldn't last 18 months anyway. It makes my blood boil that the doctor is sluffing this off.

If this is the attitude, polio, mumps, ebola...won't matter what is going around, there will be no stopping it. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, Jaybee said:

And what about babies who haven't had the vaccine yet??

I think all of us with very young kids through this pandemic learned loud and clear that all the people shouting, “what about the kids?!“ really don’t care so much about them after all 😢

• Like 9
  • Sad 2

I have three grandchildren too young to have had the MMR. In these days of so many infections going around, I want them to be as protected as possible, especially as two of them are possibly more vulnerable due to some circumstances surrounding their birth. Besides, mumps is an exhausting disease. The child who has it needs rest and time to recuperate anyway. These days with our push to have everybody out and about as soon as possible, I think we have lost something of the importance of rest in wellness.

@Mrs Tiggywinkle Again, how is your dd today?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Jaybee said:

I have three grandchildren too young to have had the MMR. In these days of so many infections going around, I want them to be as protected as possible, especially as two of them are possibly more vulnerable due to some circumstances surrounding their birth. Besides, mumps is an exhausting disease. The child who has it needs rest and time to recuperate anyway. These days with our push to have everybody out and about as soon as possible, I think we have lost something of the importance of rest in wellness.

@Mrs Tiggywinkle Again, how is your dd today?

Exhausted.  DS7 then woke up with a 104.2 degree fever today, sat up and told me “the world is upside down.” they’re both drinking Gatorade today and resting.

This wasn’t some podunk ED doctor either(not that that would make it better) but a doctor in a large metropolitan teaching hospital.  I personally am not fully vaccinated with the MMR as I had a terrible reaction to the first that wound me up in the hospital as a baby and when they tried again as a teenager had another reaction. I’ve had titers drawn and I am not immune to measles, mumps or rubella.  So annoying that a doctor would say that, because most people will think oh, doctor knows more than I do, and resume normal life.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 13

3 minutes ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle Again said:

Exhausted.  DS7 then woke up with a 104.2 degree fever today, sat up and told me “the world is upside down.” they’re both drinking Gatorade today and resting.

This wasn’t some podunk ED doctor either(not that that would make it better) but a doctor in a large metropolitan teaching hospital.  I personally am not fully vaccinated with the MMR as I had a terrible reaction to the first that wound me up in the hospital as a baby and when they tried again as a teenager had another reaction. I’ve had titers drawn and I am not immune to measles, mumps or rubella.  So annoying that a doctor would say that, because most people will think oh, doctor knows more than I do, and resume normal life.

Oh, I am so sorry! You must be exhausted as well. And yeah, you don't need mumps either! I think we have become so accustomed (before two years ago, anyway) to being able to either be protected from disease by vaccine or having the availability of effective antibiotics, that we don't pay attention to protective behaviors that people had to implement in earlier days. And we (culturally) act so offended that anyone would expect us to alter our behavior for our own or others' health. That a doctor wouldn't think through the implications of no quarantine for both the child and the public is just sad.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle Again said:

Same for our daughter. She landed in the ER for several hours after her MMR as a toddler so she didn't get the rest of the series. Apparently that first shot conferred some immunity because her titres still trip the test when pregnant, but this is very scary. And of course with mumps, the success rate is a bit lower. This doctor is so naive!

• Like 1

OP, so sorry to hear this about your nephew.  I'm glad that he's well enough to have been discharged from hospital. I hope he has a speedy recovery, and that you and your kids are spared.

Some thoughts about care issues that have come up in this thread (not directed at OP):  It sounds like the ED MD appropriately consulted paeds and ID.  It's very likely that this case will get reported to public health as as mumps, just based on clinical criteria alone - ID here would be all over this.  Mumps testing is not straightforward.  We report to public health based on clinical criteria alone for other viral syndromes too (ie chicken pox etc).  Public health follows up and arranges further testing at their discretion.  Was disposition by ED MD?  Not paeds or ID?  If by ED MD, it sounds like there was paeds and ID input.  Does not sound like ED MD was just making stuff up or sluffing stuff off.

The formal isolation period for mumps as per both CDC and PHAC is only 5 days post symptom onset.  Is it possible that nephew has already passed the 5 day mark?

Finally, when departments are at critical over-capacity, health systems are crumbling, and HCW are beyond burnt-out, errors and sub-standard care are inevitable due to systems level problems.  Department management becomes a series of some version of "not dying, next case".  Critical over-capacity for both paediatric care and general emergency care are widespread in both the US and Canada right now.  We are hanging on by the thinnest of threads. That threads like this one inevitably devolve into some version of doctors are idiots is offensive.

• Like 17
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, wathe said:

OP, so sorry to hear this about your nephew.  I'm glad that he's well enough to have been discharged from hospital. I hope he has a speedy recovery, and that you and your kids are spared.

Some thoughts about care issues that have come up in this thread (not directed at OP):  It sounds like the ED MD appropriately consulted paeds and ID.  It's very likely that this case will get reported to public health as as mumps, just based on clinical criteria alone - ID here would be all over this.  Mumps testing is not straightforward.  We report to public health based on clinical criteria alone for other viral syndromes too (ie chicken pox etc).  Public health follows up and arranges further testing at their discretion.  Was disposition by ED MD?  Not paeds or ID?  If by ED MD, it sounds like there was paeds and ID input.  Does not sound like ED MD was just making stuff up or sluffing stuff off.

The formal isolation period for mumps as per both CDC and PHAC is only 5 days post symptom onset.  Is it possible that nephew has already passed the 5 day mark?

Finally, when departments are at critical over-capacity, health systems are crumbling, and HCW are beyond burnt-out, errors and sub-standard care are inevitable due to systems level problems.  Department management becomes a series of some version of "not dying, next case".  Critical over-capacity for both paediatric care and general emergency care are widespread in both the US and Canada right now.  We are hanging on by the thinnest of threads. That threads like this one inevitably devolve into some version of doctors are idiots is offensive.

Yes, it was clinical criteria.  He’s under the five days since the start of symptoms, but to be honest the doctor was up front that he doesn’t know that much about mumps and got the appropriate consults.  So it could have just been a lack of knowledge and we transfer patients frequently to this particular ED—it’s one of the busiest in the state and everything feels rushed.

Healthcare workers right now are absolutely overwhelmed.  I don’t know about other EDs, but we are seeing an enormous amount of high acuity patients, much more than ever before, even in the thick of Covid.  I am exhausted. I literally go home from work crying from just sheer exhaustion. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 5

42 minutes ago, wathe said:

That threads like this one inevitably devolve into some version of doctors are idiots is offensive.

IDK. DH is a ER provider, and we've had a lot of substandard care in non-emergent situations even before the pandemic. The doctors who seem to cry foul about anything the most in our circle have been doctors who are not involved at all in primary care and not facing staffing shortages, etc. The ER folks seem to be taking it in stride and working longer hours (often because of nursing shortages causing sluggish patient flow, not lack of provider coverage) and are a bit incredulous at their counterparts in other areas of medicine.

I am sorry that you are facing such overwhelming circumstances on the regular. Saying it stinks is not enough. 

• Like 6

I'm sorry, @wathe. I didn't mean to be disrespectful. I have a lot of HCW in my family, and I am concerned over how overworked the profession is. To be honest, I actually have more frustration toward people who aren't HCW and who are out and about when they are sick. So I guess I took it further back to the doctor in this case, because if I had a child who had just been released from the hospital, I would want him home for awhile to make sure he was fully recovered (no matter what the CDC says). I know that for many parents, it is difficult to know what to do because of work.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jaybee said:

Oh, I am so sorry! You must be exhausted as well. And yeah, you don't need mumps either! I think we have become so accustomed (before two years ago, anyway) to being able to either be protected from disease by vaccine or having the availability of effective antibiotics, that we don't pay attention to protective behaviors that people had to implement in earlier days. And we (culturally) act so offended that anyone would expect us to alter our behavior for our own or others' health. That a doctor wouldn't think through the implications of no quarantine for both the child and the public is just sad.

Antibiotics don't  do anything for all the diseases going around- RSV, Covid, flu, measles, mumps, and rubella are all viruses.  You need antivirals for those and most don't have them yet.  Also RSV doesn't even have a vaccine yet.

1 minute ago, TravelingChris said:

Antibiotics don't  do anything for all the diseases going around- RSV, Covid, flu, measles, mumps, and rubella are all viruses.  You need antivirals for those and most don't have them yet.  Also RSV doesn't even have a vaccine yet.

Yes, I know. But I was speaking in general that I believe the prevalence and easy availability of antibiotics and vaccines have made us more casual toward disease. Also, even though those are viruses, sometimes secondary bacterial infections develop afterwards that call for antibiotics. And while we don't have vaccines for all of the viruses, we have been protected much much more than previous generations were. In general terms, I do believe that vaccines and antibiotics (but not always both and not always for all diseases) have made us more casual toward disease. We have not lived in a time when we generally worried a lot over whether our children would die of a childhood disease, unless the child had other circumstances to be considered.

• Like 6

13 hours ago, Jaybee said:

We have not lived in a time when we generally worried a lot over whether our children would die of a childhood disease, unless the child had other circumstances to be considered.

And the current crop of parents of young children generally don't have parents who were old enough to remember kids dying of childhood diseases. 

Having heard about the horrors of whooping cough from my mother who had it at age 5 and how she coughed every day for many weeks until she threw up, about how her friend died of complications from measles at age 7, about how they lived in terror every summer when polio was a thing, about how her sister was so ill with rheumatic fever that her mother had to carry her everywhere, and about how her mother talked about having the 1918 flu until the day she died, you can bet there was never any question I was going to get my kids vaccinated ASAP.  And that's just my mother's stories.  There are more from my father's side, and more from my husband's parents.  If those stories aren't a part of your family lore, it would be easy to think that serious childhood illness is a thing of the past.  I am beyond grateful for vaccines and antibiotics.  

Sorry, every time this comes up I feel the need to say something.  I sincerely hope that Mrs T's family members recover quickly.

Edited by EKS
  • Like 21

2 hours ago, EKS said:

And the current crop of parents of young children generally don't have parents who were old enough to remember kids dying of childhood diseases. 

Having heard about the horrors of whooping cough from my mother who had it at age 5 and how she coughed every day for many weeks until she threw up, about how her friend died of complications from measles at age 7, about how they lived in terror every summer when polio was a thing, how her sister was so ill with rheumatic fever that her mother had to carry her everywhere, and how her mother talked about having the 1918 flu until the day she died, you can bet there was never any question I was going to get my kids vaccinated ASAP.  And that's just my mother's stories.  There are more from my father's side, and more from my husband's parents.  If those stories aren't a part of your family lore, it would be easy to think that serious childhood illness is a thing of the past.  I am beyond grateful for vaccines and antibiotics.  

Sorry, every time this comes up I feel the need to say something.  I sincerely hope that Mrs T's family members recover quickly.

It’s really unfortunate. I’ve always been nervous about vaccines, but always did it. My dad’s great uncle lived his whole life crippled form polio. You can be sure his mother his would have felt so blessed to prevent this awful disease. I never met him, but you can be sure they always told me how important vaccines are.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, itsheresomewhere said:

Any chance your nephew lives near an orthodox Jewish community?  I know some are having mumps outbreaks as my friend was worried about her sister whose community is having one.  Hopefully, he feels better soon and so does your DD. 

I haven't heard of any mumps outbreak in the Orthodox Jewish community in upstate NY but sadly I wouldn't be surprised. If I hear of anything I'll let you know. I hope everyone recovers quickly and easily. 

4 hours ago, EKS said:

Having heard about the horrors of whooping cough from my mother who had it at age 5 and how she coughed every day for many weeks until she threw up, about how her friend died of complications from measles at age 7, about how they lived in terror every summer when polio was a thing, how her sister was so ill with rheumatic fever that her mother had to carry her everywhere, and how her mother talked about having the 1918 flu until the day she died, you can bet there was never any question I was going to get my kids vaccinated ASAP.  And that's just my mother's stories.  There are more from my father's side, and more from my husband's parents.  If those stories aren't a part of your family lore, it would be easy to think that serious childhood illness is a thing of the past.  I am beyond grateful for vaccines and antibiotics.  

I have to say, after the COVID vaccine, I understand vaccine hesitancy a lot better than I used to. 

A vaccine is always a trade-off: a (hopefully small) risk now in return for the reduction of a (probably big) risk later. That can be a hard trade to make when you've never experienced the big risk. Plus, people are bad at planning. And at math. 

I know that I was dawdling about the COVID booster, because I knew very well that I'd be likely to get a headache for a month. Would the headache for a month been better than actual COVID? Actual experience now suggests "yes" (well, DH got the booster and got COVID, anyway, but he did seem to recover quicker at the end of the day. Not that a data point of one is enough, but you know.) But I also understand why I was dawdling . . . 

Anyway, I'm still very staunchly pro-vaccine. I just have a lot more empathy for people who worry about them than I used to. 

Edited by Not_a_Number
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, Not_a_Number said:

I have to say, after the COVID vaccine, I understand vaccine hesitancy a lot better than I used to. 

I have never had a vaccine reaction other than arm soreness that I know of, except for the covid vaccine.  It truly seems to be in a class by itself.

If it helps, I've had the covid vaccine five times.  By far the worst was the second dose--flu like symptoms, aching all over, and fever for 3+ days even with lots of advil.  With the most recent dose (bivalent), the reaction lasted maybe 24 hours and was easily eliminated with advil.  So there's hope!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Not_a_Number said:

I know that I was dawdling about the COVID booster, because I knew very well that I'd be likely to get a headache for a month. Would the headache for a month been better than actual COVID? Actual experience now suggests "yes" (well, DH got the booster and got COVID, anyway, but he did seem to recover quicker at the end of the day. Not that a data point of one is enough, but you know.) But I also understand why I was dawdling . . . 

I appreciate what you said about trade-offs. And it's different for everyone. 30 days of headache would be hell for me. I got either Alpha or Delta in late spring 2021, and the five days of headache was the most miserable part of my illness. I wasn't vaccinated at the time either. 

Edited by Malory
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, YaelAldrich said:

I haven't heard of any mumps outbreak in the Orthodox Jewish community in upstate NY but sadly I wouldn't be surprised. If I hear of anything I'll let you know. I hope everyone recovers quickly and easily. 

Asked around. Yes, there is a small outbreak in the area. I'm sorry on behalf of the Jewish community. 😢

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Jaybee said:

Yes, I know. But I was speaking in general that I believe the prevalence and easy availability of antibiotics and vaccines have made us more casual toward disease. Also, even though those are viruses, sometimes secondary bacterial infections develop afterwards that call for antibiotics. And while we don't have vaccines for all of the viruses, we have been protected much much more than previous generations were. In general terms, I do believe that vaccines and antibiotics (but not always both and not always for all diseases) have made us more casual toward disease. We have not lived in a time when we generally worried a lot over whether our children would die of a childhood disease, unless the child had other circumstances to be considered.

Yep, understand,   Also, w Covid and a number of other issues,  people around the world are not trusting the so-called experts.  There were so many lies about Covid, etc, that a segment of the population thought if they lie about the Covid vaccine (they overstated that vaccine will stop the spread and therefore everyone needs to get it, even the young children  wh9 have very low chances of getting very ill w Covid, don't mask, yes mask, 2 masks, no mask, yes,  mask, etc)

And the med8a has also played a part in over hyping too.

As to the antibiotics,, I researched  that because I am a person who regularly gets secondary infections, and almost the entire problem w overdoing them is in the animal food system,  Antibiotics are used w cows, etc to speed up growth. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TravelingChris said:

There were so many lies about Covid, etc, that a segment of the population thought if they lie about the Covid vaccine (they overstated that vaccine will stop the spread and therefore everyone needs to get it, even the young children  wh9 have very low chances of getting very ill w Covid, don't mask, yes mask, 2 masks, no mask, yes,  mask, etc)

I wouldn’t think we need to rehash this yet again at this point, but these weren’t “lies”. The vaccine initially did indeed stop the spread, but then the virus mutated and as it did so, it worked less and less well at stopping the spread to the point that now it only slightly reduces spread. So that was never a lie, the situation just changed.

Masks was a different, frustrating situation that was a mix of them gradually gaining more information, which is how science works, but also initially, they should have been more straight forward that masks might help, but were desperately needed by medical professionals, so please don’t use medical masks until supply has recovered and instead make your own and stay home as much as possible. That was a legitimate loss of trust issue how they handled the mask shortage situation. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 8

11 minutes ago, KSera said:

I wouldn’t think we need to rehash this yet again at this point, but these weren’t “lies”. The vaccine initially did indeed stop the spread, but then the virus mutated and as it did so, it worked less and less well at stopping the spread to the point that now it only slightly reduces spread. So that was never a lie, the situation just changed.

Masks was a different, frustrating situation that was a mix of them gradually gaining more information, which is how science works, but also initially, they should have been more straight forward that masks might help, but were desperately needed by medical professionals, so please don’t use medical masks until supply has recovered and instead make your own and stay home as much as possible. That was a legitimate loss of trust issue how they handled the mask shortage situation. 

I was not talking about my opinion about these matters, cause I understand nuances, etc and limitations of studies.  Cause I know that in vaccinated people the main advantage was that they were not spreading the disease for very long-versus non vaccinated spread for much longer.  But what I was referring to was what is causing a lot of people to have general mistrust of authorities and of vaccines.  It doesn't help that the people in charge who got the latest version of the vaccine. then developed COVID.  

I am mostly pro-vaccine.  I did not recommend to dd1 to get the Gardisil because one of the potential side effects was blood clotting and she already has an inherited from me blood clotting issue. And had to delay MMR for dd2 for a while because I was on steroids then.  

Again,.  I am parroting a popular opinion, not my own/

• Like 1

I had mumps, and measles and German measles as a child, The mmr vaccine wasn't given to children here until they were 8 or 10 or something.. I had everything before then as did many children .  For my lots younger sister  the age was brought down to 2 ish. She had a very bad reaction to the mmr vaccine - Sezures.  So she only had the first dose. not all adults are vaccinated.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, EKS said:

I have never had a vaccine reaction other than arm soreness that I know of, except for the covid vaccine.  It truly seems to be in a class by itself.

Yeah, same. It's true. On the other hand, I'm much more willing to trust people who've had bad reactions than I used to be. I'm sure that's not fair, but that's how I've feel 😕 . 

13 hours ago, EKS said:

If it helps, I've had the covid vaccine five times.  By far the worst was the second dose--flu like symptoms, aching all over, and fever for 3+ days even with lots of advil.  With the most recent dose (bivalent), the reaction lasted maybe 24 hours and was easily eliminated with advil.  So there's hope!

I had the same reaction to the booster as the second shot (the same monthlong headache, which, to be fair, was worse for the first week than the rest of them. But still... a long, long headache.) And I hear that the reaction is worse after you've had COVID. So... I'm worried. 

That being said, I didn't enjoy COVID, and I'm still kind of knocked out by it, so I'll chance the vaccine. Plus I want the improved immunity from having the vaccine after COVID 😛 . I hear that's the best immunity you can have. 

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

Yeah, same. It's true. On the other hand, I'm much more willing to trust people who've had bad reactions than I used to be. I'm sure that's not fair, but that's how I've feel 😕 . 

I had the same reaction to the booster as the second shot (the same monthlong headache, which, to be fair, was worse for the first week than the rest of them. But still... a long, long headache.) And I hear that the reaction is worse after you've had COVID. So... I'm worried. 

That being said, I didn't enjoy COVID, and I'm still kind of knocked out by it, so I'll chance the vaccine. Plus I want the improved immunity from having the vaccine after COVID 😛 . I hear that's the best immunity you can have. 

Oh, I hadn't heard that.  If you get the booster let us know how it goes for you.  Did taking any pain medication do anything?  I had an awful reaction to the 1st booster and flu shot given at the same time.  I took meds after and it did nothing for the weeklong horrible headache.  I spaced the shots out this year and it went better.

Just now, mommyoffive said:

Oh, I hadn't heard that.  If you get the booster let us know how it goes for you.  Did taking any pain medication do anything?  I had an awful reaction to the 1st booster and flu shot given at the same time.  I took meds after and it did nothing for the weeklong horrible headache.  I spaced the shots out this year and it went better.

I'll definitely let you know! 

I didn't try pain medication, to be honest. Maybe I should next time... I have chronic headaches (although ones that feel very different from the vaccine ones!), and medication doesn't ever do anything, so I'm afraid it didn't even occur to me to take a painkiller for a headache. 

I should try it and report. It was this awful headache right at the back of the head. 

• Sad 2

I have had some big, nasty reactions to the Covid shots (you all know that, admitted to hospital after three of them), and the last one (my 4th, the bivalent) was bad, but not as bad. I did take OTC meds — Advil and Tylenol. I also needed my migraine meds, as it triggered a four day migraine.

My most recent theory is that I’m having an abnormal inflammatory response after the initial side effects wear off (mine were high-ish fever, body aches, headache). I wonder if the same is happening to you, with the long headaches?

FWIW, I’m having a similar reaction to the flu shot this year, and 600 mg ibuprofen am and pm, plus some other stuff, seems to be helping. That might be something to consider.

• Like 1

My 9 year old niece woke up yesterday unable to hear out of one ear and with very decreased hearing in the other. Sister took her to the emergency room  and after 10 hours they diagnosed her with mumps as well. 
Everyone in the family is vaccinated, fortunately.  My sister is a single mom and is able to work from home, but she’s pretty exhausted. 

• Sad 37

15 hours ago, Not_a_Number said:

I'll definitely let you know! 

I didn't try pain medication, to be honest. Maybe I should next time... I have chronic headaches (although ones that feel very different from the vaccine ones!), and medication doesn't ever do anything, so I'm afraid it didn't even occur to me to take a painkiller for a headache. 

I should try it and report. It was this awful headache right at the back of the head. 

Oh wow, I am so sorry.  I get migraines now.  Didn't have them until I got done having kids.  I can't imagine the pain of headaches/migraines without pain meds that help.

1 hour ago, TravelingChris said:

Praying for your sister and her kids.  And to you too, as I know how stressed one gets when other family members are sick.

Fortunately my kids are improving, finally. I feel like one of the 3 kids has been sick for a month. They just keep rotating.

My sister lives three and a half hours away but I am at least going to DoorDash her dinner. It’s just so crazy to me they have mumps, because I really did think it was mostly eradicated in the vaccinated population.

• Like 9