Menu

2023 World Scouts Jamboree in South Korea UPDATE first post

wathe

Anyone going?

Both my boys are going as participants (Canadian Contingent).  I'm going as IST.

I'm both excited about it and dreading it - it's a once in a lifetime amazing opportunity to attend with my kids, but also 40 000 people camping in a field sounds like a nightmare....

UPDATE July 20, 2023.  We are leaving for this next week!  The kids are super-excited.

UPDATE April 25, 2024. As many of you know, this jamboree turned out to be a bit of a shambles.   The 25th World Scout Jamboree: Report of the independent Review Panel was published last week.  Requires registration to access.  

Korean Times has published an article summarizing, which is free to access.  

Key quotes from the report:

“...demonstrably high-risk site” 

“...a clear gap between promises made and expectations set by the Host in the bidding phase, as well as updates received during the planning phase, and the reality of the event that was delivered in 2023.” 

“...failed to deliver on its responsibility and promises to organize the planning and delivery of a safe and successful event.”

“[Organizers]...deliberately misled the World Scout Committee, World Scout Bureau, and National Scout Organizations in its communications on the state of the event’s preparations”

"The medical situation was marked by an alarming lack of preparedness" 

"The medical facilities and resources were severely inadequate..."

"The Opening Ceremony lacked effective safety management"

"In reviewing the core basic requirements of the 25th World Scout Jamboree in terms of safety, security, safeguarding of young people, medical support, food and dietary requirements, sanitation and hygiene, movement around site, and mitigation of weather impacts, there were significant challenges and deficiencies, as well as a failure to consistently deliver core services – at the standard promised by the Host, and legitimately expected by the key stakeholders – and essential to keep all youth participants and adult volunteers safe."

Edited by wathe
  • Like 7
  • Sad 5

• wathe changed the title to 2023 World Scouts Jamboree in South Korea
3 hours ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

That sounds like an amazing opportunity and experience! 40,000 people? Wowsers. What does IST mean?

I'm off to South Korea soon too, but there will be no scouts or camping. 

International Service Team.  I'll be doing some sort of job to support the jamboree for part of the time, and enjoying the jamboree for the other part of the time.  Most of the jobs are pretty social, so the work is also "play".

• Like 4

DS really wanted to go, but he ran into a few roadblocks. 

1. It conflicts some with National Jamboree and his summer camp (which are back to back with a 12 hour turn around)

2. Logistically, we could have taken him, but it would have required a network of friends there to make me feel comfortable.  Which I'm sure they would have been happy to do, and even incorporate him into the local troop temporarily, but National is so much easier for us this year.

3. $$$  I don't even want to know how much we are paying for ds's activities this year.  We would have had to take MAC flights to make it work.

1 hour ago, HomeAgain said:

DS really wanted to go, but he ran into a few roadblocks. 

1. It conflicts some with National Jamboree and his summer camp (which are back to back with a 12 hour turn around)

2. Logistically, we could have taken him, but it would have required a network of friends there to make me feel comfortable.  Which I'm sure they would have been happy to do, and even incorporate him into the local troop temporarily, but National is so much easier for us this year.

3. $$$  I don't even want to know how much we are paying for ds's activities this year.  We would have had to take MAC flights to make it work.

I hear you on a network.  My kids are super fortunate that there are others going from their troop, and their Jamboree patrol leader is also from our group - and is someone who I really trust.   I don't think I would send them otherwise.

I don't know what a MAC flight is?  Some sort of funding?

1 minute ago, wathe said:

I hear you on a network.  My kids are super fortunate that there are others going from their troop, and their Jamboree patrol leader is also from our group - and is someone who I really trust.   I don't think I would send them otherwise.

I don't know what a MAC flight is?  Some sort of funding?

A MAC flight is a military transport.  There are often a handful of seats non-appropriated (Space-A) on each flight and they are able to be given to various people going through a tier.  Tier 1 would be active duty, not on orders all the way down to Tier 5(or 6?): retirees and family.  It's rare to have space for Tier 5 folks, but not unheard of. 

If they do the next World Jamboree closer to home, or somewhere in Europe, it might be easier for us to figure.  Frankly, I wouldn't mind if it was near Toronto for the next one. 😄  We have a couple of trips we want to take up there and we'd roll them into one.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
23 minutes ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

We've recently returned from South Korea, unrelated to scouts.

I just wanted to wish you all a fantastic trip. I hope it's a wonderful experience.

Where in Korea will you be?

A few days in Seoul and a few days in Jeonju before the jamboree.  The Jamboree itself will be in SaeManGeum, near Byeonsanbando National Park.  

Screen Shot 2023-07-20 at 6.02.22 PM.png

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all!

I am currently sitting in a shadeless field at 37°C, ambient temperature and 75% humidity, awaiting evacuation to Seoul because of the incoming Typhoon. I have a I have a lovely big umbrella, and there is a nice breeze at least. Fun times!

• Like 4
  • Sad 12

We’ve been relocated to a lovely college dormitory. Beautiful modern air conditioned facility.  Our hosts have been exceedingly generous. They provided us with hygiene kits, pillows, blankets, hot meals, the works.  We are all so grateful.  

The Jamboree organizers have arranged a “jamboree on the road “. Will all be bus to various local activities and will still have the opportunity to interact with scouts from around the world.

• Like 24

• wathe changed the title to 2023 World Scouts Jamboree in South Korea UPDATE first post