Menu

Vitamins

DawnM

Help me out as I don't really know what I am doing.

I need some energy.   I am really bad at taking medication or anything and start but then stop because I forget to do it.

But I have to get on some sort of a regiment.   I need (particularly) Vitamin B.   I had some drops and they helped but then I wonder if I should take more than just B12?   I know I will get varying responses, but I am wondering if drops/liquid are really that much better than sublingual tablets?   

Just know that I am a minimalist when it comes to taking anything.....so if you have a recommendation that is more than B12, it would be helpful if it is already combined,  telling me to take 5 different things......well, I just won't do it.   

Thanks,

Dawn

Did you have bloodwork done? I have never been told to supplement just B12 by my doctors. They would recommend B complex plus C. These are usually available in many different brands everywhere, I just pick the one for stress if the same brand has two types.

I have not done a comparison of brands since my main deficiency is Vit C and not Vit B. Maybe @gardenmom5 or @PeterPan might be able to suggest brands.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Did you have bloodwork done? I have never been told to supplement just B12 by my doctors. They would recommend B complex plus C. These are usually available in many different brands everywhere, I just pick the one for stress if the same brand has two types.

I have not done a comparison of brands since my main deficiency is Vit C and not Vit B. Maybe @gardenmom5 or @PeterPan might be able to suggest brands.

I was told to.

I have several genetic mutations that inhibit b12.

ETA, I'm super picky about molecular forms.

Joy's of using a phone.

Emerald labs for b complex

Jarrow for b12

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 2

Hi Dawn, So I apologize if this sounds trite but -

Measure how much water you are drinking (they used to say 1/2 your body weight in ounces.  A 150 lb person would then drink 1/2 that or 75 ounces in water).  I don't know if that's changed and one can drink too much water but Americans usually don't get enough.   So, drink 80 oz of water if you weigh 150.  This does NOT include coffees, teas, milk, etc but H2O.  If you need to increase your water or you already drink a bit, tapering off your intake as the day wears on to avoid getting up in middle of night.

Sleep - how many hours?  Most Americans don't get enough.  Do you snore?  Have you considered a sleep study?  Is your sleep uninterrupted (up for baby, potty, etc).

Excessive sugar will give a "false and temporary" rush of energy.  Empty calories. Key word is excessive as most people enjoy pies, cupcakes, etc now and then.

Stress - perhaps excess stress is wearing on you.  

Foods - are you eating a balanced diet.  Do you need iron perhaps?  I agree with Arcadia that you may want a panel done so see if you are anemic, etc.  

• Like 1

FWIW, one emergen-c packet a day is going to give you a decent amount of vitamin B spectrum stuff (including B12), vitamin C, vitamin D, and other stuff. If you know you aren't a great pill taker, can you maybe put a box of those next to your desk and at the end of the day, lay a packet out on your keyboard for the next morning?  I saw that they have it in gummy form also, if you don't use the powder,....so putting the bottle next to some other thing that you do daily to put a visual reminder out there to do it daily.

• Like 2

I have also taken a B Complex off and on. Honestly I don't know if it helps or not. 

Vitamin D can help too, and it seems many/most US Americans are deficient in it, but many people also overdo it. (I have to be careful of too much D due to kidney stone history, but I also have osteopenia so have to be sure I don't get too low.)

Most of the time I just take a multi-vitamin for women over 50. I buy from Costco or Vitacost, usually. 

The thing that gives me the most energy, honestly, is walking in the woods. Obviously not an easy/doable option for everyone/all the time. 

Also, I started using one of those pill cases with a week's worth of supplements/meds in it. Having that at my place at the kitchen table helps me remember every day. I also have an app on my phone to help me track water consumption (though like any other app, it is easy to ignore). I reload it every Sunday night. It's helpful since I take a couple of actual medications along with the multi-vitamin, plus a couple other supplements. 

• Like 1

Thanks, I understand you all saying to get blood work, watch my diet, exercise, etc.....but I have done all of that.   I am not particularly low on any vitamin, I was low on D in the past and low on iron, but that seems to have leveled out.   But it was still recommended that I get on either a quality multivitamin with B12 or take B12 supplements.   

If you want a high quality one-a-day vitamin, I recommend Pure Encapsulations O.N.E.

I chose it because it seems to have the best (most effective, bioavailable, etc.) version of each vitamin that I had researched (e.g. Metafolin instead of folic acid, which is bad for a lot of people, methylcobalamin instead of the cheaper and less effective cyanocobalamin, etc.). It also has minerals like zinc, selenium, and chromium, as well as things like CoQ10, inositol, ALA, etc. It's not cheap (~$20/month) but it's a full spectrum one-&-done supplement that covers all the bases and has worked really well for me.

• Like 2

Have you had covid recently? I was told some of the hospitals are giving covid patients vitamin B1, because it gets depleted. It makes somewhat of a difference for me and it doesn't have to be a fancy or expensive brand, just whatever you find on amazon.

You can go to the grocery store and pick any multivitamin for women and get a generally useful thing. I use MegaFood, but there are plenty of reasonable brands. 

You could eat lunch a few times a week at Chipotle and have the brown rice. Brown rice is high in B vitamins. 

I buy frozen kale at Walmart and throw it in my lunch, especially on pasta Sundays. Super high in vitamins, ups my energy. Bell peppers and tomatoes are also good for that. Asparagus. Anything with enzymes and nutrients. When my energy is down, usually I need to attend to my salad consumption.

• Like 1

Emergen-C is not a very good source of B12 for someone with a B12 deficiency. It only has 25 mcg of B12, and it's cyanocobalamin (the body generally only absorbs abut 10% of supplemental cyanocobalamin). Studies have shown that the dosage needed to achieve adequate levels in older people with B12 deficiency is much higher than that (more like 500-1000 mcg). And methylcobalamin is better absorbed. I take 500 mcg of methycobalamin daily (in the multivitamin I linked above) and that has raised my levels from the 200s to the 600s, which is considered ideal.

"We conducted a randomized, parallel-group, double-blind, dose-finding trial to determine the lowest oral dose of cyanocobalamin required to normalize biochemical markers of vitamin B12 deficiency in older people with mild vitamin B12 deficiency, defined as a serum vitamin B12 level of 100 to 300 pmol/L (135-406 pg/mL) and a methylmalonic acid level of 0.26 μmol/L or greater. We assessed the effects of daily oral doses of 2.5, 100, 250, 500, and 1000 μg of cyanocobalamin administered for 16 weeks on biochemical markers of vitamin B12 deficiency in 120 people. ... Daily doses of 647 to 1032 μg of cyanocobalamin were associated with 80% to 90% of the estimated maximum reduction in the plasma methylmalonic acid concentration.... The lowest dose of oral cyanocobalamin required to normalize mild vitamin B12 deficiency is more than 200 times greater than the recommended dietary allowance, which is approximately 3 μg daily."
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamainternalmedicine/fullarticle/486565

This study found that "15-25% of people still showed evidence of metabolic deficiency after 500 μg/d cyanocobalamin for 8 weeks." https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23236022/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I find Thorne is the best for energy, but I have to be careful to take them just before I sleep or I get nauseous. Smarty Pants (sold in Costco, Target, and idk where else) has almost the same quality in a gummy and don’t cause nausea. I’m sure they’re less potent, but they fo use natural B vitamins instead of synthetic. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DawnM said:

Thanks, I understand you all saying to get blood work, watch my diet, exercise, etc.....but I have done all of that.   I am not particularly low on any vitamin, I was low on D in the past and low on iron, but that seems to have leveled out.   But it was still recommended that I get on either a quality multivitamin with B12 or take B12 supplements.   

Not sure how old you are but almost everyone in late 40's on has too little B12.   

• Like 1

I take this. You shake the bottle and spray under tongue. I store in the fridge and sometimes forget but trying to get in the habit of doing daily. Taste is pleasant. 

Stick with the liquid. It absorbs faster. 
Garden of Life B12 Vitamin -... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K5NEPJY?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I also take a 2 in 1 vitamin but may need to add more. Vitamin D3 + K2 (MK7) Supplement... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08FDBFSZZ?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

apparently a liquid form exists, too. 

I should set a daily alarm. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DawnM said:

That sounds about right.   I am mid-50s.

When I had the worst fatigue of my life it was when my Vit d was at 19.  I was probably late 40s. Usually by Feb of every year I start feeling bad again and start supplementing. Also more recently my b12 was low.  I am trying to maintain taking those two things late fall on until I can get a lot of sunshine……when I can be in the pool,several hours a week I feel great.  

the dissolvable B12 and the gummy Vit are my favorite.  Easiest to remember and stomach. .  I also take celebrex for my joint pain, so I take those three every morning.  It is a habit you just have to form.

Also, are you getting enough sleep?

20 hours ago, Corraleno said:

If you want a high quality one-a-day vitamin, I recommend Pure Encapsulations O.N.E.

I chose it because it seems to have the best (most effective, bioavailable, etc.) version of each vitamin that I had researched (e.g. Metafolin instead of folic acid, which is bad for a lot of people, methylcobalamin instead of the cheaper and less effective cyanocobalamin, etc.). It also has minerals like zinc, selenium, and chromium, as well as things like CoQ10, inositol, ALA, etc. It's not cheap (~$20/month) but it's a full spectrum one-&-done supplement that covers all the bases and has worked really well for me.

I have the MTHFR mutation and this is the one I take per my doctor’s recommendation. Ortho-Mollecular also make a product called Methyl B, good for those who have problems with B supplements. I get niacin flush - hot cheeks and the jitters - with most B supplements on top of my multivitamin 

• Like 1

I get a flush with both the Emerald Labs  and Thorne products mentioned above. Just wanted you to be aware this can happen and recognize it for what it is, it can be alarming if you’ve not experienced it before. 

Also I take the Methy B 12, to clarify what I mentioned before. The pure encapsulation multi has a B complex but I can’t add extra B 3 (niacin). 

Edited by Grace Hopper

22 hours ago, sheryl said:

Measure how much water you are drinking (they used to say 1/2 your body weight in ounces.  A 150 lb person would then drink 1/2 that or 75 ounces in water).  I don't know if that's changed and one can drink too much water but Americans usually don't get enough.   So, drink 80 oz of water if you weigh 150.  This does NOT include coffees, teas, milk, etc but H2O.  If you need to increase your water or you already drink a bit, tapering off your intake as the day wears on to avoid getting up in middle of night.

If you're drinking a lot of water - consider making sure some of those drinks include electrolytes.  I take 3 - 4 potassium capsules with each electrolyte drink I have.  Coconut water is a good substitute for electrolytes - but gets expensive.

22 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

FWIW, one emergen-c packet a day is going to give you a decent amount of vitamin B spectrum stuff (including B12), vitamin C, vitamin D, and other stuff. If you know you aren't a great pill taker, can you maybe put a box of those next to your desk and at the end of the day, lay a packet out on your keyboard for the next morning?  I saw that they have it in gummy form also, if you don't use the powder,....so putting the bottle next to some other thing that you do daily to put a visual reminder out there to do it daily.

It really isn't a good source of b-vitamins, and the molecular forms are not the best.  (meaning - you are not getting as much as the label claims because your body has to convert it into a form that can be used, and the rest is just lost.  It also means your liver and kidneys have to work harder.)

I will avoid anything that uses cyanocobalamin instead of methylcobalamin.  I also avoid anything using folic acid instead of L-5-methylfolate.

and if the label doesn't tell you the molecular form  . . don't waste your money.  It's generally because they use cheap and hard to absorb versions.

21 hours ago, Corraleno said:

^this^  . . .

I hate, hate, hate - folic acid.  It is in so many foods, not just "fortified" foods. . . . Folic acid is 100% synthetic.  You will not find it anywhere in nature. 

for people with a MTHF mutation (According to the human genome project, approx 50% of the population has at least one mutated gene. - I have two.  some people have three mutated genes.  and those are just the ones they've studied.) - the presence of folic acid will *REDUCE* their ability to absorb *real* folate because the folate receptors think folic acid is good and will suck it up - BUT - those with the mutation will struggle to convert folic acid to a useable form.  In the meantime, the folate receptors are blocked from absorbing real folate by the fake folate (re; folic acid) in the receptor itself.  Many drs do NOT understand this.  -  I absolutely will not use any supplement that includes folic acid instead of Metfolin/L-5-methylfolate.

for many years, I took a double dose of an average drug store 'stress b-complex'  I noticed it helped more by how I felt after not taking it for a week or two rather than feeling better when I did take it.  After a number of years, I switched to the emerald labs, which uses the most bioavailable molecular forms of the different b-vitamins.  after a week, I felt like someone switched a light on. The difference was very noticeable.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Scarlett said:

When I had the worst fatigue of my life it was when my Vit d was at 19.  I was probably late 40s. Usually by Feb of every year I start feeling bad again and start supplementing. Also more recently my b12 was low.  I am trying to maintain taking those two things late fall on until I can get a lot of sunshine……when I can be in the pool,several hours a week I feel great.  

the dissolvable B12 and the gummy Vit are my favorite.  Easiest to remember and stomach. .  I also take celebrex for my joint pain, so I take those three every morning.  It is a habit you just have to form.

Also, are you getting enough sleep?

I try to get enough sleep.   I do when I can.   Sometimes I simply can't.   

I need to change my recommendation—-the original post was “feeling tired, need some Bs, not great at taking vitamins”….OP later said “recommended by dr get some quality B12”….those are different things.

Fwiw, I do not do great on methylated Bs, and do not have MTHFR (I have been checked), so I can’t universally recommend paying more for methylated Bs. If you do have mutations, you should be avoiding processed foods because a pp is right, folic acid is added to most breads, cereals, etc. It doesn’t make sense to pay extra for methyl Bs, and then go eat commercially prepared bread, iykwim, since you undo the benefit. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I need to change my recommendation—-the original post was “feeling tired, need some Bs, not great at taking vitamins”….OP later said “recommended by dr get some quality B12”….those are different things.

Fwiw, I do not do great on methylated Bs, and do not have MTHFR (I have been checked), so I can’t universally recommend paying more for methylated Bs. If you do have mutations, you should be avoiding processed foods because a pp is right, folic acid is added to most breads, cereals, etc. It doesn’t make sense to pay extra for methyl Bs, and then go eat commercially prepared bread, iykwim, since you undo the benefit. 

I don't see that as being two different things and it wasn't a physician who recommended it, it was a nutritionist.   I said I was feeling tired and that Vitamin B had helped before.   She recommended I go back to it.   

I was simply coming here because I know many of you are a wealth of info on various things and might have some suggestions for me, that is all.

1 hour ago, DawnM said:

I don't see that as being two different things and it wasn't a physician who recommended it, it was a nutritionist.   I said I was feeling tired and that Vitamin B had helped before.   She recommended I go back to it.   

I was simply coming here because I know many of you are a wealth of info on various things and might have some suggestions for me, that is all.

Thank you for clarifying. For some, it does matter, so I wanted to make sure I wasn’t overstepping. B12 only supplementation is often recommended for things like pernicious anemia, so I wanted to make sure something like that wasn’t the driver of the need for the vitamin.