Menu

s/o shampoo thread

LuvToRead

I used Biolage shampoo and conditioner for years, but in an effort to economize I purchased Tresemme.  I like Tresemme,  Recently, however, I watched a youtube video that demonized ALL drugstore shampoos.  He said drugstore shampoo actually harm your hair.  Something about they contain products that coat the hair, making it impossible for the ingredients that cleanse and nourish the actually reach the hair shaft.  So basically drugstore shampoos leave your hair dirty and damaged.

So I began to do a little research and came across things like "salon shampoos don't contain sulfates or silicones" which are potentially bad.  But yet when I looked at the ingredients of my beloved Biolage, it contains Sodium Laureth Sulfate and Dimethicone.  I know Sodium Laureth Sulfate is the milder version of Sodium Laurel Sulfrate which I do actually avoid because my scalp doesn't like it.  The Tresemme also contains these two ingredients.   Even Purology and Redken both contain Dimethicones.

I do believe that salon products are more concentrated, therefore require less product per use, but I don't use 3x the amount of Tresemme than I do Biolage, making Tresemme less expensive.  I am mainly interested it knowing if drugstore shampoos are actually harmful. 

So what says the hive?

The person is either lying, uninformed, or doesn’t like Biolage either. 

ETA: Brad Mondo (I think) is a professional who’s tested drugstore products on YouTube. I don’t remember which ones he liked, but there were some.

Edited by Katy
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Katy said:

ETA: Brad Mondo (I think) is a professional who’s tested drugstore products on YouTube. I don’t remember which ones he liked, but there were some.

No one bashed Biolage so I'm a little confused by what you mean???  Or do you mean that because Biolage contains the "bad" ingredients they were being indirectly bashed??

But yes I do think there is some lying going on.  I know tons of people who use drugstore shampoo (including DH and both DD's and no ones hair is dirty or damaged)

I was just wondering what others thought? Especially those  who currently aren't profiting from selling salon products.

Edited by LuvToRead

You also have to remember that YouTube is a job for some people and they’re paid by sponsors and views. The more extreme the stance, the more clicks they get from people who agree and disagree. 

I wouldn’t get freaked out. Use what makes your hair looks nice, maybe try a scalp/shampoo brush, and clarify periodically with a clarifying shampoo or vinegar. 

The curly hair community is a pretty good source for finding products without harmful ingredients that coat the hair. Even Trader Joe’s has a shampoo that doesn’t contain parabens and sulphates. Lots of salon brands now have their products in discount stores too, so the line is blurred. Costco has decent shampoo that many suspect is actually Pureology or close enough that it doesn’t matter. A lot of companies bottle and re-label the same products for different markets so it can be worth tracking down those items. 

• Like 6

Pantene is the one famous for coating hair and making it feel good while destroying it. I am sure it isn't the only one. But I definitely don't think it's always a "you get what you pay for" situation. Prestige brands are more likely to have quality ingredients and specialized formulations, but they can and often do also contain what some consider garbage ingredients. The question is, which ingredients are you okay with and which do you want to avoid? There are drugstore brands without sulfates, for example. Just know what your concerns are when shopping and ignore the rest. If you were on a carnivore diet, you wouldn't take food advice from a vegan. Apply the same logic here.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, LuvToRead said:

No one bashed Biolage so I'm a little confused by what you mean???  Or do you mean that because Biolage contains the "bad" ingredients they were being indirectly bashed??

But yes I do think there is some lying going on.  I know tons of people who use drugstore shampoo (including DH and both DD's and no ones hair is dirty or damaged)

I was just wondering what others thought? Especially those  who currently aren't profiting from selling salon products.

Biolage contains the “bad” ingredients too. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

Costco has decent shampoo that many suspect is actually Pureology or close enough that it doesn’t matter.

I use that Costco shampoo and conditioner, not because it may have anything to to with Pureology (about which I know nothing) but because it was inexpensive and I wanted to try something new. I think I used Tresemme before. The Costco products seem fine but I don't really have high expectations of hair care products. 

Anyone can go on youtube and say anything. I would want to know who is sponsoring the person making the claims, and why I should trust their opinion. If a dermatologist makes a claim about a product related to the way the product affects skin/scalp, I will pay attention. Not so much if the person is just a charming personality who is being paid by a hair care company. 

Edited by marbel
  • Like 2

It wasn't just the youtube guy.  There are several articles that say the same thing.  I'm not freaked out, just curious.  I wanted to see what other people thought!  I like Tresemme so I'm going to stick with it for now.  Maybe when I get both kids through college I will go back to a more expensive brand lol.   My scalp (my whole body really) is very sensitive so I know what to avoid.  I don't mind parabens because they are less irritating than other preservatives and there isn't any actual evidence that links parabens to cancer - that i know it anyway.    This particular Youtuber (the blow out professor? I think) makes money off of selling salon products.  Which is why I did independent research to see what others had to say.  There is so much knowledge on this board I wanted to take advantage of it!

• Like 1

1. People in the 70s and 80s used these "bad" ingredients and everyone's hair looked fine. Heck, they were using actual clothing irons on their hair!

2. Hair is dead. you can't "nourish" it. It's dead cells. It can be more dry or less moisturized or whatever, but that's it. It's dead. (I am hearing that in Scotty's voice now - he's dead, Jim.)

3.  I'm now going to try some Tresseme, lol!

• Like 8

13 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

1. People in the 70s and 80s used these "bad" ingredients and everyone's hair looked fine. Heck, they were using actual clothing irons on their hair!

2. Hair is dead. you can't "nourish" it. It's dead cells. It can be more dry or less moisturized or whatever, but that's it. It's dead. (I am hearing that in Scotty's voice now - he's dead, Jim.)

That's how I feel.

My personal favorites shift depending on the season and availability.  I use Lush in the summer because we travel often and having a shampoo bar works better for me.  In the winter I use a tea tree oil based shampoo and a conditioner of whatever.  The air is so dry that dandruff is an issue if I don't stay on top of it, but Head & Shoulders burns my scalp.

It's just hair.  It's pretty, and it's nice, but it's just hair that will be cut. 🙂

• Like 2

I don't think too deeply about my shampoos and I don't put a lot of stock in you tube videos unless that you tuber has established a trustworthiness with me. Or they do have some real life expertise, like they are a lawyer telling me about law stuff, construction people instructing me on how to use a power tool, they really tried to do the hack and are going to show me the results, etc. Honestly most of them don't put down blanket statements like ALL drugstore stuff are bad; they show me specific ones and what to look for. 

In terms of shampoo and conditioner, I get what works for me. Same with a lot of beauty products. 

Pantene made my hair decent but anytime I didn't use it every other day my hair would be awful (even if it was just two days of no washing my hair or using some other product). Head and shoulders and I don't mix, itchy and I'd start having dandruff... 

• Like 1

I've used Pantene (supposedly the "bad for your hair" stuff) daily since circa 1990 and my hair stylist says it's some of the healthiest hair she's ever seen *shrug* So I don't put much stock in what "they" say about hair products, since most of "them" are selling something. Use what makes you feel pretty and what fits your budget or even just what smells nice 🙂

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Katy said:

We love his hair cutting videos - kept us out of serious trouble during the pandemic! 😂

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ktgrok said:

3.  I'm now going to try some Tresseme, lol!

Those are great points!  I didn't even think about hair being dead LOL. 

2 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I have been using their Elvive Ever Strong this fall. I needed to switch up my shampoo for a bit. I have been happy but will probably switch again when this bottle (which I got to travel with) is empty.

I will definitely try it next! 

This is gonna sound weird - but it's actually been nice to realize I can use drugstore shampoos.  I have an incredibly sensitive scalp and struggled for years with scalp irritation.  My head would itch so much I had trouble sleeping.  When I started using Biolage the irritation went away so I thought I just couldn't use drug store shampoos.  With prices on the rise and one in college (and one headed to college next year) I thought it would be a good time to explore my shampoo options.  It seems like drugstore shampoos have really upped their game in recent years.

23 minutes ago, LuvToRead said:

I will definitely try it next! 

This is gonna sound weird - but it's actually been nice to realize I can use drugstore shampoos.  I have an incredibly sensitive scalp and struggled for years with scalp irritation.  My head would itch so much I had trouble sleeping.  When I started using Biolage the irritation went away so I thought I just couldn't use drug store shampoos.  With prices on the rise and one in college (and one headed to college next year) I thought it would be a good time to explore my shampoo options.  It seems like drugstore shampoos have really upped their game in recent years.

I also get that itchy and can't sleep cause you are so itchy scalp thing! I thought it was dandruff so tried head and shoulders which made it worse - now I'm reading in this thread that it also makes other people itch! Go figure!

Will get some Tresseme!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

I also get that itchy and can't sleep cause you are so itchy scalp thing! I thought it was dandruff so tried head and shoulders which made it worse - now I'm reading in this thread that it also makes other people itch! Go figure!

Will get some Tresseme!

I hope you like it!

"Two ingredients in particular, Methylchloroisothiazolinone and Methylisothiazolinone, also known as the “itchy Ms”, are often the culprit behind an itchy scalp. You may also be allergic or sensitive to something else in your products if those aren't present.." quote from Naturally Curly. I avoid products with the " ichy M's" because the bother my scalp. I don't follow the Curly Girl Method 100% but I use CG approved products for my curls (avoiding different chemicals, waxes, alcohols, etc).  You can use https://www.curlsbot.com/ or http://www.isitcg.com/ to check ingredients. There are many blogs with lists of CG approved products-- many work for straight hair too (for all budgets). We love Tresseme Botanique conditioner at our house. We use Love Beauty and Planet bar shampoo and love it too. Both are drug store products, and both are "clean" products. I have found many affordable, "clean" hair products at Walmart\Target that will not make scalps ich.  Not Your Mother, Sheamoisture are a few. Good luck.

• Like 1