Menu

Item for potluck that travels well and no refrigeration?

ksr5377

All the Panda Express dishes travel well. What I do if I want them warm is to cook and put them in large microwave containers to heat up on site. Most places we go to long distance has a microwave we could use. 
Baked goods definitely work.

How long is the travel and what time. My husband loves to drive by night to reach around 9am so colder food is still feasible. So very different from if we leave home at 8am and reach at 6pm, because our car trunk would be warm enough to keep food warm. 

Corn Pie (despite the name it is a side dish, not a dessert)

1 can corn (drained)

1 can creamed corn

1 8oz container sour cream

1 stick of butter, softened

1 box Jiffy cornbread mix

2 graham cracker crusts (premade storebought is fine)

Mix all ingredients (other than pie crust, lol) and pour into crusts. Bake at 375 for about 45-60 minutes until set in middle and edges are golden brown. Can serve warm or room temp. Everybody raves about it! 

Traveling for 4 hours, but with 2 longer stops on the way, so food will probably be in the car about 8 hours.  I had thought of picking up something on the way, but the closest decent store for this is about 30 minutes before we have longer stopover.  At least for getting something like a premade platter.  Thanks for all the ideas everyone!

Edited by ksr5377

If you are thinking brownies but don't really want them, how about blondies?

Chips and unopened jars of salsa so they don't need to be kept cool?  

I like the idea of cheese, salami and crackers if you have a cooler. That is my typical thing to take to a potluck; I started when my kids were little and I knew that was something they would eat, and for ease of it just kept on. (Unless I an assigned something else of course.)

• Like 1

I live in a climate where prolonged stops in a car are so hot that even things like lemon bars or brownies are likely to be a hot gooey mess by the time I arrived.  I would probably take a marinated bean salad, putting the salad in smaller storage containers in an ice chest, and bringing along a nice serving bowl.  Or, perhaps some type of dip in a cooler with veggies.  My standby item would be a large jar of Pace picante sauce and bags of chips.  

15 minutes ago, marbel said:

If you are thinking brownies but don't really want them, how about blondies?

Chips and unopened jars of salsa so they don't need to be kept cool?  

I like the idea of cheese, salami and crackers if you have a cooler. That is my typical thing to take to a potluck; I started when my kids were little and I knew that was something they would eat, and for ease of it just kept on. (Unless I an assigned something else of course.)

Actually I guess the salami and pre-cut cheese would be easy to purchase once you’re where you are going too 

• Like 1

The choices at groceries stores for pre made trays and side and even main dishes keep getting better and the bar for what passes at a potluck keeps getting lower. 

People are busy. Nearly every potluck event I go to has people coming in from the store and opening packages and setting out precut veggie/fruit/meat/cheese trays or chips and dip or crackers and hummus or prepackaged potato or pasta salad. Or takeout pizzas or buckets of fried chicken etc.  

I hate making extra stops so I’d probably throw something in a cooler with plenty of ice that was easy and not fragile. Like cheese and meats that I could set out with crackers or a dip or cheese spread. 

I will admit that I used to kind of be a snob about potlucks but I am not anymore. People are busy and it is hard enough to just get yourself and your family anywhere. People are more important than food so just bring something easy. People are also pickier eaters and have more allergies and sensitivities than they used to and simple foods can be easiest on them. 

1 hour ago, ktgrok said:

Corn Pie (despite the name it is a side dish, not a dessert)

1 can corn (drained)

1 can creamed corn

1 8oz container sour cream

1 stick of butter, softened

1 box Jiffy cornbread mix

2 graham cracker crusts (premade storebought is fine)

Mix all ingredients (other than pie crust, lol) and pour into crusts. Bake at 375 for about 45-60 minutes until set in middle and edges are golden brown. Can serve warm or room temp. Everybody raves about it! 

This sounds really good and I'm saving the recipe to make it

If you have a cooler you can do taco roll ups.

1 can refried beans

1 packet taco seasoning mix

1 8oz cream cheese, softened

mix well and spread on flour tortillas (warmed a few seconds in the microwave), sprinkle on a bit of cheese and roll up.  Chill and cut into pinwheel slices.  Can serve plain or with salsa.

Lentil salad, cowboy caviar, something like that.  If you could put that with an ice pack it will be fine.

Or store bought hummus and baby carrots, again with an ice pack. If you'll have the ability to cut things up, I'd bring a knife and some red or yellow peppers and cucumbers too.  

Or fruit, I have brought basic things like bananas and cutie oranges to potlucks and people always comment how it's so nice to see something their kids will eat!