Menu

Updates 2023 (job hunt etc)

heartlikealion

On 11/9/2023 at 6:37 AM, heartlikealion said:

I do not know if there is much room for income increases in the library. With RBT I know they do merit based evals/raises annually. But as long as I can pay my bills I’d make do with the library salary as long as possible. 

I do think the skills and experience at the library will be far more transferable to other jobs than the skills and experience with RBT, and keep you more in the general desired career area. 

• Like 8

Part of me can’t even think that far ahead. I’m so stressed about the move. And processing the breakup. Guess we’ll remain friends (we’ve had plans to shoot zombie targets since before Halloween and will try to do that soon). 

Every time I turn around there’s more financial stress looming. Xh just said how much I owe on dd’s new glasses and that ds has an eye appt Nov 16 (I’ll owe half. We don’t have vision coverage). I literally cannot keep up with these expenses. Maybe I can start investigating cell phone plans that work where I’m moving and see if I can get a cheaper one. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

9 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

Part of me can’t even think that far ahead. I’m so stressed about the move. And processing the breakup. Guess we’ll remain friends (we’ve had plans to shoot zombie targets since before Halloween and will try to do that soon). 

Every time I turn around there’s more financial stress looming. Xh just said how much I owe on dd’s new glasses and that ds has an eye appt Nov 16 (I’ll owe half. We don’t have vision coverage). I literally cannot keep up with these expenses. Maybe I can start investigating cell phone plans that work where I’m moving and see if I can get a cheaper one. 

It seems crazy that you are required to pay even being unemployed. 

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

When you can-  check out vsp for vision.  You can just get it yourself it doesn’t have to be through an employer and they are extremely reasonable. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

It seems crazy that you are required to pay even being unemployed. 

When we went to court I asked my lawyer if we would ask the child support to be paused and he said it wasn’t worth it because they would only pause it briefly, assuming I’d be working soon. And then I’d just owe back pay. Right now I barely have enough on my debit card to purchase an official college transcript requested by the library. 

on a happier note, when my sister visited from England she told me to use a free kohls gift card she got from an American company. I couldn’t find any workout tanks (I need new ones, I’m swimming in my others) but I found dd a pair of joggers and bought and gave the couple here a baby gift (they are expecting). 

• Like 1

Yes, the child support is generally assumed to cover half of normal living expenses, like daily food, clothing, lunch money, etc. medical, dental, sometimes activities (sports classes or whatever), childcare, etc are often split 50/50 because child support amounts don't take that into account.

Heart, it's possible, though, that while the child support is mandated and court-enforced, the other stuff is easier to say "I can't pay this right now but I'll repay it once my job starts" - it's sort of a different category of things. Your lawyer would know.

Just in case your car situation doesn't work out well, you might check for apartments nearer work or on the bus line. Since your job starts in a few weeks, it might help to ask prospective apartments what they'll accept as proof of income - explain your situation and see if they're willing to take the job offer instead of paystubs, etc. that way when it comes time to move you'll have an idea of which places are available to you. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, thatfirstsip said:

Yes, the child support is generally assumed to cover half of normal living expenses, like daily food, clothing, lunch money, etc. medical, dental, sometimes activities (sports classes or whatever), childcare, etc are often split 50/50 because child support amounts don't take that into account.

Heart, it's possible, though, that while the child support is mandated and court-enforced, the other stuff is easier to say "I can't pay this right now but I'll repay it once my job starts" - it's sort of a different category of things. Your lawyer would know.

Just in case your car situation doesn't work out well, you might check for apartments nearer work or on the bus line. Since your job starts in a few weeks, it might help to ask prospective apartments what they'll accept as proof of income - explain your situation and see if they're willing to take the job offer instead of paystubs, etc. that way when it comes time to move you'll have an idea of which places are available to you. 

The last time I toured apartments I did ask this and they were ok with a letter. However, I don’t know how many weeks til a letter will be available stating I have the job (as in, drug test results and background check have cleared). Sigh. My current email has the pending background/drug test info. 

Now I may try to stay in my friend’s cottage a week but that’s not much help. I cannot stay longer because her sis is also trying to transition to the area and stays there on weekends while working a side job. 

Our settlement describes child support & medical so I think both are enforceable but basically told him it will probably be late. I’m not even gonna worry about it. It costs money to contact my lawyer and what’s xh gonna do? I don’t think I’ll be reprimanded. 

8 minutes ago, scholastica said:

Your ex makes me angry on your behalf. He knows your situation, he’s just twisting the knife asking for money right now. Even if it’s in the agreement, a little grace should be extended and he should just cover the glasses. 

I told him I get $199 a week and I just sent him $110 this week (the remainder of Oct child support I owed). Then stated the rest went to gas etc. He said he understands. 

But yes those texts and receipts are annoying to receive 😐

I’m not even sure how much money I can borrow from family but I’ll need a ton to move in. I can maybe stall on home wifi. But then my data use will skyrocket. 

The credit union already told me I’d need three pay stubs to increase my cc limit. Well if it’s anything like my last library job, I’ll get paid monthly. Which means after Christmas will be my first check 😓And I think that Nov 27 start date was tentative so who knows. 

1 hour ago, heartlikealion said:

When we went to court I asked my lawyer if we would ask the child support to be paused and he said it wasn’t worth it because they would only pause it briefly, assuming I’d be working soon. And then I’d just owe back pay. Right now I barely have enough on my debit card to purchase an official college transcript requested by the library. 

on a happier note, when my sister visited from England she told me to use a free kohls gift card she got from an American company. I couldn’t find any workout tanks (I need new ones, I’m swimming in my others) but I found dd a pair of joggers and bought and gave the couple here a baby gift (they are expecting). 

Can you send one through Parchment.com?  It’s about $3. 

4 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

Parchment is who the school uses and it’s $10 

Ugh. Sorry about that. Where I work the students use Parchment and it costs them about $3.  They can also pick up a sealed/stamped official transcript for free, but not every entity will accept a hand delivered transcript from the student. 

• Like 1

Just now, freesia said:

I took the bus all the time as a woman in a city. How far is the stop from the library? It may be well lit and safe. 

At one point this was coined Murder Capital. I’ve used buses in CA in a small city but.. I wouldn’t feel safe. I don’t know how far it is but I don’t even like walking from a parking garage a few blocks in NOLA. That’s why I usually have a friend with me. 

I lived and grew up and took lots of buses in a city that was the murder capital. Honestly the buses were fine. I never felt unsafe. Usually the violence is drug related and not random. I don’t know NOLA but ask people who live there don’t imagine problems that might not exist. 

• Like 4

Just now, freesia said:

I lived and grew up and took lots of buses in a city that was the murder capital. Honestly the buses were fine. I never felt unsafe. Usually the violence is drug related and not random. I don’t know NOLA but ask people who live there don’t imagine problems that might not exist. 

A guy xh knew was murdered walking his dog in NOLA years ago 

It’s just out of my comfort level 

• Sad 2

I wonder if the credit union will be as strict about a car loan as the cc limit — requiring 3 pay stubs?? I’d like to get a preowned vehicle in the very near future and it’s probably better to finance through my credit union vs the dealership. That’s what we did with my current vehicle years ago.

I saw some cars online with monthly car notes in the $330 range. That would be comfortable enough for me. I’d still have money left at the end of the month after bills, rent etc. My current rent estimate is ~$900 but it may go up to $1000ish depending on availability. The unit I am looking at is a 1 bd under $900 but I see no evidence of laundry access so I’d probably have to use a laundromat. I’m going to text the landlord today. They didn’t answer my question in the Zillow app. 

Most of these places do not stay on the market long — several I looked at weeks ago are gone. So who knows if this unit will even be available by the time the background check clears. But my Zillow matches only show 2 units under $1000 right now. And the other had confusing verbiage about pets so may not allow my cat. 

Greyhound costs ~$22 a person to go from New Orleans to a stop on the gulf coast. 

Amtrak may or may not be fully operating again out of the Biloxi area. Couldn’t get site to give me info. 

Keeping these things in mind for times when I don’t want to use my own car or someone wants to visit me and just meet me at the station/doesn’t need to find parking for their car. 

Not super ideal to travel with dd as we’d spend more in tickets than gas. There are extra fees for bags too I think. 

Just now, KSera said:

Have you looked into low income wifi rates already? In our area, there are special low rate plans for people who qualify based on income.

I didn’t qualify for any low-income things at my last salary. This salary is more. I tried for discounted apartments, food stamps, Medicaid, cell phone rate… 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

Greyhound costs ~$22 a person to go from New Orleans to a stop on the gulf coast. 

Amtrak may or may not be fully operating again out of the Biloxi area. Couldn’t get site to give me info. 

Keeping these things in mind for times when I don’t want to use my own car or someone wants to visit me and just meet me at the station/doesn’t need to find parking for their car. 

Not super ideal to travel with dd as we’d spend more in tickets than gas. There are extra fees for bags too I think. 

I think you can bring a couple of suitcases and hand carried items on Amtrak and the bus for free . Always good to double check. 

44 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

Is forced air bad for heating? Significantly worse for asthma sufferers? 

It’s all I’ve ever had. But usually efficient and heats a space pretty quickly.  I don’t know asthma implications, but it makes for drier air.  I could see a possibility of more dust for forced air. A hepa filter could mitigate that. Does the unit have air-conditioning?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, KSera said:

It’s all I’ve ever had. But usually efficient and heats a space pretty quickly.  I don’t know asthma implications, but it makes for drier air.  I could see a possibility of more dust for forced air. A hepa filter could mitigate that. Does the unit have air-conditioning?

I make simmer pots in the winter to help with the dryness.   

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, KSera said:

Yes it has central a/c. I refuse to go back to window units (and little gas wall heaters) after all the headaches I’ve had. 

The home that seemed too good to be true said ask about pets on their description. I called and they said yes to small dogs but no to cats. 

Have a viewing for a 1 BD on Thursday before my drug test. I’ll have to leave to drive quite early but they were only willing to meet me at like 2 pm otherwise and I can’t hang around that long. This lady has a 1 star rating/described as unprofessional on Zillow. But after the initial paperwork I don’t think I’d have to deal with her?? She’s a realtor. I’d probably just send rent to the office? The price is $950/mo but water is included and she said they do have washer/dryer hookups. I’d bring my own W/D. It is a stand alone unit, doesn’t share a wall with anyone. She does not require paystubs/letter… just must have a credit score of at least 625 (I do). So that actually might be a good property for me. 

Left voicemail about cheaper 1BD unit. Don’t know the details on heating/cooling, laundry. That one is $887/mo. Duplex. 

• Like 6

I looked again - I think it’s a duplex because description says multi family and on street view I could see back end of property. Oops. Well it’s still a contender. Water included is good. 

Someome pray to St Anthony for me — I can’t find my ss card that I need this week 🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️ I had it like a month ago to show the job center place. Probably misplaced in my car. I went through the glove compartment and 3 purses etc already. Will clean my car out more. 

• Like 4

On the email from the library they did not offer an alternative for the ss card, only an alternative for DL.

I do have my birth certificate but it has my maiden name. I might have a W2 form or something with full social but I don’t know if they’d accept that. Worst case I apply for new card in person and ask for the temp card to be given to me. I know the real one takes 2 weeks snail mail. 

Obviously I’m a US citizen… I’m on unemployment lol but I’m not sure they’d care about the unemployment paperwork. 

Generally,  documents are required to verify that you are eligible to work in the US. Either a passport OR a combination of driver's license and birth certificate should be acceptable.

https://www.indeed.com/hire/c/info/documents-for-i-9-verification?gclid=Cj0KCQiAr8eqBhD3ARIsAIe-buMgdWRsIWLhA8NjYZS4FJY4DJJX8e_mWZYNtcU10hlrepLugIDEgOkaAqPBEALw_wcB&gbraid=0AAAAADfh6_tHM9hi_-ReVBlmOlXf4qThX&aceid=&gclsrc=aw.ds

• Like 2

3 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

The library wants to see it. 

Do they need to see the SS card itself or just something else in that category of the I9?  A birth certificate should work for that as well.  It being in your maiden name is an expected thing, don't worry about that.  

If they want the SS card for other reasons you should be able to show them something else, maybe a tax return or W2 while you wait to get a new one, especially if you can show where you have applied for a new one.  To get a new one you'll probably need to send in your birth certificate so you might have to get the birth certificate to them for the I9 before sending it off for the SS card. 

This might be a good time to change back to your maiden name if you intend to do that.  Look online, but you probably just need your divorce decree to change it.  

Edited by Heartstrings
  • Like 1

Oh no I won’t give over my bc via mail. But I would show it in the ss office. My parents had a headache obtaining it lol. Because my mom was Mexican and didn’t make it to the hospital in time for my birth. But was here legally. 

My maiden name is on the transcript from the college so I guess that helps show them it’s the same person. I won’t go back to my maiden name. It has a character in it and always gets messed up in computer systems etc. 

The email was bulleted and had ss card under its own bullet. I could contact the library and ask what else they would accept. I’m just kinda embarrassed.