Menu

dd 11 has rosacea

ktgrok

Anyone have tips? Doctor called in a prescription, not sure what, for her to use - some kind of moisturizer/treatment. Will get it tomorrow. It's not terrible, but I guess it often gets worse with age? On her it just looks like mild flushing, more on one side than the other, and not all the time. We were warned that sun exposure is a trigger and to use sunscreen, and I'm reading hot drinks, hot temperatures, etc can trigger it. Um...we live in Florida!

Any other tips or advice?

27 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Anyone have tips? Doctor called in a prescription, not sure what, for her to use - some kind of moisturizer/treatment. Will get it tomorrow. It's not terrible, but I guess it often gets worse with age? On her it just looks like mild flushing, more on one side than the other, and not all the time. We were warned that sun exposure is a trigger and to use sunscreen, and I'm reading hot drinks, hot temperatures, etc can trigger it. Um...we live in Florida!

Any other tips or advice?

It's good that you are getting the rosacea treated now. It can get worse over time if not treated.

I was first diagnosed about 17 years ago. I use a gel each night before bed, and the gel keeps the rosacea pretty much under control. I haven't found a specific trigger, but triggers are common.

Some doctors believe that it is an autoimmune disease; it is a common condition among us hashimoto's thyroiditis sufferers, so you might just keep an eye on that.

• Like 2

I would also keep an eye out for lupus symptoms. Sometimes rosacea & a malar rash look similar. If she starts getting hair loss, fatigue without reason, mysterious fevers, lung, heart, or UTI issues insist on an autoimmune panel. 

I know there are some lasers that treat rosacea but I don’t know what the age guidelines are for using them. 

I really like Australian Gold’s botanical spf 50 tinted moisturizer. It doesn’t look like makeup or sunblock, it looks like skin. I usually order from Amazon unless it’s in stock at Target. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ellie said:

It's good that you are getting the rosacea treated now. It can get worse over time if not treated.

I was first diagnosed about 17 years ago. I use a gel each night before bed, and the gel keeps the rosacea pretty much under control. I haven't found a specific trigger, but triggers are common.

Some doctors believe that it is an autoimmune disease; it is a common condition among us hashimoto's thyroiditis sufferers, so you might just keep an eye on that.

Yeah, with DS9 having celiac and PANDAS we are aon the alert for any autoimmune things with her. She gets tested for thyroid and diabetes every so often for this reason. 

I finally found a wonderful dermatologist. She was just out of school. It took a couple of tries to find the right cream. I use it morning and night.

I was in my early 40s when it started to show up. So, I don't know anything about children with rosacea. None of my teens/early20's kiddos have it.

Watch out for goopy eyes.  Ocular rosacea is no picnic—it contributes to ‘repeated corneal erosions’ which means that when you wake up in the morning your corneas stick to your eyelids so when you open your eyes the corneas rip. Very painful and ultimately damaging to your eyesight.  There is no cure but it can be minimized with periodic rounds of heavy antibiotics.

One of mine has it too.
She is on two prescription creams that really help. The creams come from a compounding pharmacy in our closest major metroplex as that is where the prescribing dermatologist sources them from. 
She has very sensitive skin, so she uses now this sunscreen (the liquid)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08HJKQP7X

ETA: This is one of the creams she uses
https://www.rhofade.com/

Edited by Bambam

10 minutes ago, Carol in Cal. said:

Watch out for goopy eyes.  Ocular rosacea is no picnic—it contributes to ‘repeated corneal erosions’ which means that when you wake up in the morning your corneas stick to your eyelids so when you open your eyes the corneas rip. Very painful and ultimately damaging to your eyesight.  There is no cure but it can be minimized with periodic rounds of heavy antibiotics.

Yeah, I read about that last night and freaked out. Ugh. 

34 minutes ago, Carol in Cal. said:

I have found diet to be super helpful in managing this, especially the eye part. I avoid gluten and dairy and know that certain things like non-dairy coffee creamers really trigger an outbreak. As mentioned upthread, everyone has their own triggers, it’s worth it to try to figure out what hers are. Some are controllable, others are not. My particulars are: gluten, dairy, non-dairy coffee creamers, stress and hormonal changes. I can tolerate all of these things in moderation - but too many of any of the food triggers send me straight to a low carb low FODMAP meal plan. If you are already feeding your ds celiac safe meals, I’d suggest getting dd on the same meal plan. Alcohol can be a trigger but you’re not at that bridge crossing yet. 

Heat can be a trigger, so yoga is a great exercise for stress relief without getting overheated. Some poses actually work to stimulate internal organs and in my case, anything that helps my digestive system is a plus for my skin. 

I have found taking essential fatty acid supplements helpful, especially for the eye component. Also, sometimes it’s hormonal - probably going to be an issue through puberty for your girl - and I found these eye wipes very helpful and refreshing. They sting for a minute after using but are very effective. Especially if the rosacea is related to demodex mites, something you might want to research but not elaborate with your dd about. It’s nature, but something many are squeamish about. Dandruff controlling and/or tea tree shampoos are helpful. 

https://www.rosacea.org/patients/causes-of-rosacea/demodex-mites-and-microbes

https://cliradex.com/?gclid=CjwKCAjw9LSSBhBsEiwAKtf0n_XDAapXYUC8QCWrIfucTk6Yl5BieSn7wCW19rDtfUZXTlPB5ZnfrBoCvycQAvD_BwE

Like others, for flare ups (which for me are fairly rare now with other controls in place) I have a formula from the compounding pharmacy that has ivermectin and another drug I can’t remember as active ingredients. Metronidazole gel is commonly prescribed but can leave the skin dry and flaky, the compounded formula isn’t as drying. If I have dry patches from use, I apply a light coat of aquaphor to affected areas at bedtime. My dermatologist loves aquaphor. Just as everyone has individual triggers, a skin care regimen is individual with regard to what someone’s face will like or not like. Generally speaking, gentle products from Curel, CeraVe and Eucerin are recommended. I also love light Vanicreme. 

It is not curable but most people with a cooperative, informed doc and the will to make lifestyle adjustments can keep it under control, or at least have an action plan for flare ups. 

She eats gluten free other than the random regular hamburger bun. I can start paying attention if flared are connected to those days she gets gluten. 

REgarding your comment about non dairy creamers - most of those have a ton of dairy protein in them,so not surprised they trigger you if you are dairy sensitive! 

• Like 1

If demodex mites end up being or are suspected to be part of the problem, the Ocusoft Plus wipes (cheapest on amazon, most expensive at Walgreens) are really helpful.  The opthamologist has us doing hot compresses in the morning to open up the eye, the Ocusoft Plus wipes to micro exfoliate, cleanse and condition the eyelid rims to prevent blepharitis, and eye drops to treat the cornea.

FWIW, you might also want to think about mast cell activation if you're looking at rosacea presenting as flushing. People have mentioned diet and low-FODMAP upthread, but you also want to look for correlations to ibuprofen & antibiotics, or emotional stress like anxiety or exercise, or allergy triggers. It's complicated, but if you keep notes, odds are you'll see a pattern start to pop up. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

If demodex mites end up being or are suspected to be part of the problem, the Ocusoft Plus wipes (cheapest on amazon, most expensive at Walgreens) are really helpful.  The opthamologist has us doing hot compresses in the morning to open up the eye, the Ocusoft Plus wipes to micro exfoliate, cleanse and condition the eyelid rims to prevent blepharitis, and eye drops to treat the cornea.

FWIW, you might also want to think about mast cell activation if you're looking at rosacea presenting as flushing. People have mentioned diet and low-FODMAP upthread, but you also want to look for correlations to ibuprofen & antibiotics, or emotional stress like anxiety or exercise, or allergy triggers. It's complicated, but if you keep notes, odds are you'll see a pattern start to pop up. 

What eye drops?  And how do you cleanse and condition the eyelid rims?

So, thankfully no eye issues at this point, knock on wood. Just very mild pink on the cheeks sometimes, but not all the time. You can see that it is from the blood vessels at the skin surface. 

But I'm keeping all this in mind if eyes kick in. And going to watch diet/stress/activity to see if it correlates. 

I have a generally ruddy complexion that just seem to come with the red hair.  My favorite product was a moisturizer from Eucerin that had sunscreen and a green tint, but it doesn't seem to exist anymore.  I know this is a cosmetic fix, but a tiny bit of color correcting goes a long way.  They make green tinted make up primers and a very small amount in the middle of my face makes all the difference in the world.  I know it's only really a cosmetic fix, but it might help until the dermatologist can get to the root of the problem.

I may try this one next:  https://www.amazon.com/Cetaphil-Redness-Relieving-Facial-Moisturizer/dp/B01M31HUYJ/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1B466Q58PV8XJ&keywords=green+color+correcting+moisturizer+with+sunscreen&qid=1649294132&s=beauty&sprefix=green+color+correcting+moisturizer+with+sunscreen%2Cbeauty%2C57&sr=1-3

Facial moisturizers with sunscreen are nice and all, but If I'm spending the day outside, I have to put some seriously high spf on my face to avoid redness. 

I have rosacea also. I used metronidazole gel a.m. and p.m. until things got under control. Now I only use at night. As long as I use my gel, I’m ok.  I have found a serum I absolutely LOVE, however, for little problem areas that might pop up when I’m not as faithful to my meds.  It’s Dr. Jart Cicapair Tiger grass serum is amazingly soothing and treats trouble spots in a jiffy. 

So, it was metronidazole cream that was called in. But the pharmacy didn't have her insurance info, so my son didn't pick it up when he picked up my old lady dry skin cream she called in. I'll go there tomorrow and straighten that out. (they also didn't give him my singulair, which was the one I actually needed tonight. Sigh.)

I got the diagnosis as an adult, and I was first started on oral doxycycline and used it chronically until I worsening side effects.

Then I was switched to a topical azaleic acid, which I use twice a day for over a year, no side effects and works great with no recurrences.  (I'm terrified to stop, so I just keep using it.)  It does leave white streaking on my face if I'm not careful.  Good luck to your dd.  

I remember reading about all those so called triggers:  too hot, too cold, caffeine, etc. etc.  I remember thinking that living your life is a rosacea trigger.  

18 hours ago, Katy said:

Higher than SPF 50?

Yeah.  Neutrogena has a 70 that doesn't feel gross.  Even then, I have to reapply.  I burn so so fast.  It's ridiculous.  I remember back when people were saying that any spf above 15 (or was it 30?) was a gimmick and I was stunned.  The lower numbers might be ok for winter moisturizers for me.  The higher spfs make a big difference.  I still have to reapply, but it's not the end of the world if I don't do it EVERY flippin hour.