Menu

Shameless mom brag UPDATE in first post.

gardenmom5

53 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

He has always been so smart! It seems like only yesterday that he decided to teach himself math so he could become an engineer!!!

He has.  But learning disabilities and a long time undiagnosed pinched nerve were challenging for him.

• Like 1

• gardenmom5 changed the title to Shameless mom brag UPDATE in first post.
5 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

* I recall SWB talking about the "stipend" she had when doing her doc. . . . Her school student insurance considered an epidural an extra.

My school student insurance when I was in a doctoral program was amazing. It covered everything for my pregnancy which  included multiple trip to the hospital for pre-term labor, bed rest with home monitoring for 8 weeks, and the actual birth. And this was for a pregnancy and delivery 2,000 miles away from my school where I was registered in absentia. Now this was insurance I paid for and not part of my stipend. But it was cheap and the coverage ended up being amazing. I think we paid a few hundred dollars total for everything. Even better, the women’s clinic where I was a patient handled everything with the insurance company for free, even though it was a company they had never dealt with before. It was such a blessing during a very stressful time, as my husband was in grad school.

At the time my husband and I attended grad school, I think it was very rare for universities to provide health insurance for grad students. But now many universities have some pretty good paid/partially paid health insurance benefits for grad students in addition to paid tuition and living stipends.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Frances said:

At the time my husband and I attended grad school, I think it was very rare for universities to provide health insurance for grad students. But now many universities have some pretty good paid/partially paid health insurance benefits for grad students in addition to paid tuition and living stipends.

They have a medical school, so they do.

1 hour ago, rutheart said:

Did he rewrite the software to use a GPU to handle floating point computations?

I couldn't describe what he did, but it was how the data sets were used.  I do recall there were at least 800K+ data sets that it had to look through? for each point in a simulation every time was run.  (and it would look at them multiple times in one simulation.)    From the description from both him and his prof, this sounded like a software for running sims they've used for years.   ds did say they didn't run sims very much (and this was probably why.), but ds had A LOT of sims to run and he didn't have hours for each simulation.

• Like 1

Did he use multithreading to make it check several data points at a time? I know I'm asking a bunch of nosy questions that aren't your area of expertise, but I am trying to understand what kind of coding changes he made, to see if he'd be a good fit for some jobs I know are available. If he's not interested in a new job, there's no need to find out the answer.

Regardless, congrats!

4 hours ago, rutheart said:

Did he use multithreading to make it check several data points at a time? I know I'm asking a bunch of nosy questions that aren't your area of expertise, but I am trying to understand what kind of coding changes he made, to see if he'd be a good fit for some jobs I know are available. If he's not interested in a new job, there's no need to find out the answer.

Regardless, congrats!

He's an aeronautical engineer.  He has his dream entry job.

1 hour ago, gardenmom5 said:

He's an aeronautical engineer.  He has his dream entry job.

Congratulations on the thesis defense! That's amazing. Since you mentioned that he "wants a life" as a reason to not pursue a PhD; I think life as a PhD student can actually be pretty amazing (if the PhD advisor is pleasant) despite the meager stipends - especially once classes are out of the way, which it looks like they would be if he'd continue at that same university. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mom_to3 said:

Congratulations on the thesis defense! That's amazing. Since you mentioned that he "wants a life" as a reason to not pursue a PhD; I think life as a PhD student can actually be pretty amazing (if the PhD advisor is pleasant) despite the meager stipends - especially once classes are out of the way, which it looks like they would be if he'd continue at that same university. 

his girlfriend, whom he'd like to marry - has particularly expensive medical bills.