Menu

March healthy eating

Laura Corin

Today's smack-my-head realisation.  I've been failing daily to meet my protein goals on My Fitness Pal.  I've just realised that it calculates nutrition based on percentages of my calorie goal.  If the system 'allows' me more calories because I've exercised, it expects me to eat more protein.  So instead of the 70 grams of protein that is recommended for older people at my normal weight, it's pushing me up to 80 or more.  Which I consistently fail to reach.  So from now on I'll ignore the pass/fail concept and just make sure I reach the gram figure, which I don't find hard.  Anyway:

Friday

Breakfast: porridge, blueberries, nuts

Lunch:  barley and cauliflower soup with silken tofu in chicken stock

Snack: apple and quark

Supper: roast chicken and some kind of veg

• Like 7

thanks for starting this Laura--- I'm going to pop in when I remember. 

I'm eating in a slight deficit but high protein now as I'm working on recomposition (some fat loss with muscle gain). Aiming to lose maybe 2 lbs this month (maybe less or more) depending on how it goes. 

today--

before lifting workout- nf greek yogurt/blueberries/homemade granola

after workout- 2 eggs/black beans/2 small corn tortillas/lots of salsa

lunch- lentil + veggie curry/rice; Reese's pieces

snack-? depends on how active and hungry I am today- mandarins? almonds?/ small smoothie

dinner- salmon/baked potato/kale salad

dates/pecans

• Like 6

A strong start.

1–banana before PT, then an apple while running errands

2–leftover mishmash of potatoes, onion, a little bacon, 2 eggs, tea (S)

Plan:

Nibble some more leftovers—pasta sauce with gf toast, a muffin, df yogurt

Meat rollups and fruit for dinner

Snack—dark chocolate, perhaps I might finish the salsa w a handful of chips

(Yes, in case you are wondering, it’s clean out the fridge day.😁)

• Like 2

Thanks for starting a new thread!

This month, I am focusing on maximizing plant diversity in every meal.

Friday - 

Breakfast - Assorted microgreens. Muesli/bean bowl with apple, blueberries, kiwi, figs, walnuts, pecans, seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Salad with assorted greens and microgreens, red cabbage, carrots, Brussels sprouts, beets, broccoli, olives, tomatoes, scallions, mushrooms, snap peas, hemp seeds, lentils.

Dinner - We're having a snacky dinner tonight. Oven fries (mix of purple and orange sweet potatoes and Yukon Golds) with cashew-based garlic basil aioli. Also veggies and crackers with a garlic herb "cheese" made with almond flour. I am making dh his favorite veggie drumsticks made of konjac, but I don't eat those because they are so realistically meat-like that they skeeve me out.

Dessert - Oranges and dates.

• Like 4

Thank you for continuing the thread.

I am still eating a restricted elimination diet. I have “cheated” once while out of town for a funeral. I ate Chick Fil A for lunch that day. I had a 2 and a half hour drive home later, so I skipped supper rather than cheat again. When I arrived home, I was no longer hungry for supper, and I didn’t even think of it—until around midnight. I felt okay, so I decided to not eat until the next day. It ended up turning into a 29 hour fast. I didn’t plan it—just decided on the fly to see how long I could go. I’ve never gone that long without eating unless I was ill or when I was hospitalized with preterm labor with my twins (I didn’t eat for days while getting mag sulfate—that stuff is like poison). I think I can see easing into IF easily now. 

I’m down 6 pounds overall, but I’m more concerned with how I feel over the number on the scale. Also, I like seeing the nutrients add up on Cronometer as I track my food intake. 

I just received my order of halibut and salmon. The halibut will replace the snapper I’ve been eating. The plan is to eat 24 ounces of salmon per week. As much as I love it, I have to be mindful of the mercury. I’m trying to read up on that. I cooked a pound of turnip greens tonight that I can eat on for a few days. I am growing some mustard micro greens, but they aren’t ready yet. I’ve got buttercrunch lettuce and turnips growing in the garden but not yet ready to harvest. 

Edited by popmom
  • Like 4

Friday:

bone broth

lunch - scrambled eggs with onions, mushrooms and mixed greens.  Goat cheese slices.  Flaxseed muffin.

snack - apple slices with goat cheese.  flaxseed brownie bite

dinner - this is where I went off the rails.  I had scrambled eggs, a ground sirloin patty (neither of these were bad since they were basically protein) but I indulged myself and had a slice of gluten free bread with some strawberry jam.  Very bad for the old blood sugars.  And no veggies of any kind.

hard boiled eggs. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Friday:

bone broth

lunch - scrambled eggs with onions, mushrooms and mixed greens.  Goat cheese slices.  Flaxseed muffin.

snack - apple slices with goat cheese.  flaxseed brownie bite

dinner - this is where I went off the rails.  I had scrambled eggs, a ground sirloin patty (neither of these were bad since they were basically protein) but I indulged myself and had a slice of gluten free bread with some strawberry jam.  Very bad for the old blood sugars.  And no veggies of any kind.

hard boiled eggs. 

You get a pass as far as I’m concerned. 😊
Gosh I miss eggs. That’s the first thing I’m adding back to my diet as a trial because I really don’t think eggs are a problem for me.

Edited by popmom
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Today's smack-my-head realisation.  I've been failing daily to meet my protein goals on My Fitness Pal.  I've just realised that it calculates nutrition based on percentages of my calorie goal.  If the system 'allows' me more calories because I've exercised, it expects me to eat more protein.  So instead of the 70 grams of protein that is recommended for older people at my normal weight, it's pushing me up to 80 or more.  Which I consistently fail to reach.  So from now on I'll ignore the pass/fail concept and just make sure I reach the gram figure, which I don't find hard. 

I use myfitnesspal as well. I add the exercise at the end of the day after I have checked my nutrition. I don't want' it  to add extra calories and this is working for me

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

a very unhealthy day of eating, but we were out away from the house

breakfast- banana

lunch- 3 rice cakes with chocolate on them ( eaten while out)

snack - 2 Anzac biscuits 

tea - everyone else had home made hamburgers, I just had the  beef patty ( mince beef only) , bacon, egg, lettuce, beetroot and tomato , half slice cheese

desert - homemade unsweetened apple sauce ( 1 tablespoon) with a small scoop of ice cream

• Like 4

Yesterday started and ended well and went wobbly in the middle. I didn't leave enough time to cook and eat a proper lunch. And then I ate too much not good things because I was hungry.

Anyway..... 

b: nf greek yogurt/blueberries/homemade granola

s: 

l: lentil + veggie curry/rice

s: smoothie bowl

d: grilling I think grilling tonight before the weather turns- brats/veggies

• Like 5

I'll pop in a bit during March. I've given up sweets for Lent, and I'm trying to change my mindset a bit to not think of food as a reward or escape. Instead of real fasting, the sacrifice is to just use food to fuel my body well, not for pleasure. So eat a little less, eat the stuff that's good for me, try a nap or cup of tea if I need to de-stress after school, etc. It would be nice to also drop a couple of pounds and get a better cholesterol reading at my annual appointment early next month. Things are going fine so far--I got the sweets reduced enough over January and February to not really miss them.

• Like 6

Is anyone using Cronometer?  I’m struggling with what to do with meals that are mash-ups, stir frys or casseroles.  I just can’t seem to wrap my brain around how to do this - anyone have any really simple instructions for me?

Anne

• Like 2

12 hours ago, popmom said:

You get a pass as far as I’m concerned. 😊
Gosh I miss eggs. That’s the first thing I’m adding back to my diet as a trial because I really don’t think eggs are a problem for me.

I don't really believe in "bad" foods as such but there are foods that are bad FOR ME.  So most people could eat a slice of gf toast and be absolutely fine but it made my two hour postprandial blood sugars go up to 205.  So there's the issue.  I was just hoping that since my overall sugars have been so good that I could get away with some carbs as a special treat.  But nope! 

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Anne said:

Is anyone using Cronometer?  I’m struggling with what to do with meals that are mash-ups, stir frys or casseroles.  I just can’t seem to wrap my brain around how to do this - anyone have any really simple instructions for me?

Anne

I use My Fitness Pal. I tend to put things in as separate ingredients - half a cup of beans, half an onion, etc - then add a notional amount of olive oil for the day. I decided that too much precision would make me crazy.

• Like 5

On 3/5/2022 at 12:50 PM, Anne said:

Anne

You can create “recipes” in Cronometer. There is a bit of a learning curve I’ll admit, but I think I’ve got the hang of it. Maybe you can find a tutorial on YouTube??? 

Edited by popmom
Add screenshots
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Laura Corin said:

I use My Fitness Pal. I tend to put things in as separate ingredients - half a cup of beans, half an onion, etc - then add a notional amount of olive oil for the day. I decided that too much precision would make me crazy.

I do this, too, most of the time. 

• Like 1

Saturday - 

Breakfast - Mixed microgreens. Muesli/bean bowl with figs, blueberries, apple, kiwi, macadamias, black walnuts, seed mix, cinnamon, walnut milk.

Lunch - Salad with assorted greens and microgreens, red cabbage, beets, tomatoes, snap peas, sweet potatoes, carrots, mushrooms, hemp seeds. Kumquats and a lemon poppyseed WellBean bar.

Dinner - Purple veggie burger (made of beets, red onions, carrots, chickpeas, oats). Leftover oven fries, dill pickles, roasted veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, zucchini, yellow squash).

• Like 3

Saturday-

bone broth 

lunch- scrambled eggs with mushrooms, onions and mixed greens. Goat cheese. Flaxseed muffin. 

dog park with Juliet  

snack-  apple with goat cheese. Flaxseed brownie bite. 

dinner- leftovers from last night. Scrambled eggs and half of a ground steak patty. Brown rice. Should have had veggies too but I didn’t have any leftover. 

hard boiled eggs 

Way too many eggs for one day but they are the perfect food for good blood sugars. 

• Like 4

On 3/5/2022 at 10:50 AM, Anne said:

Anne

I absolutely love Cronometer, it's been indispensible to me for creating a plant-based diet that is high-protein and nutrient-dense while still being low-calorie. I've lost 32 lbs so far (8 more to go), and I know I would not have been this successful without Cronometer (because I've certainly tried!).

If you're making individual meals for yourself that are different each day, you can just estimate the volume or portion of the items — half a pepper, 1/4 cup mushrooms, 1 cup of rice, 1/2 cup beans, X ounces of tofu or chicken, etc.  That's usually what I do if I'm making a salad or one serving of stir fry or whatever. But for larger meals where I will be eating multiple servings, I create a Cronometer recipe for the whole batch and then just enter the portion size when I log it in the diary (.5 if I'm eating half, .25 if I made 4 servings and am refrigerating or freezing the other portions, etc.). Even if you are cooking for a family and only eating 1 portion of the meal, if it's something you cook often it's worth making a custom recipe and then just tweaking it a little each time you make it instead of re-entering everything. And you can vary the portion size, like if it serves 4 but you take a little less than 1/4, you can enter 0.2 for the amount, or if you're just having a little bit of leftovers as part of a larger meal you might enter 0.1.  Then Cronometer will calculate the calories, macros, and micros for that portion. 

I know some people consider it a huge PITA to track food like this, but it really opened my eyes to how much more I was eating than I thought, how little protein I was actually getting, and how easily small amounts of even healthy-but-high-calorie foods add up. It also adds a certain level of accountability, knowing that if you eat junk you need to log it and it's going to be reflected in those calorie intake and weight loss graphs for weeks to come. And watching that weight graph drop day after day, week after week, is really motivating (at least for me).

Edited by Corraleno
  • Like 4

Sunday - 

Breakfast - Microgreen mix. Muesli/bean bowl with banana, apple, blueberries, cherries, kiwi, macadamias, black walnuts, flax, chia, cinnamon, walnut milk.

Lunch - Salad with lettuce, assorted greens and microgreens, red cabbage, tofu, hemp seeds, red onions, scallions, cucumber, tomatoes, beets, artichoke hearts, olives, jalapeños. A walnut chocolate chip WellBean bar.

Snack - Kumquats.

Dinner - Panini sandwich made with a leftover purple veg burger, avocado, grilled peppers, red onion, cashew aioli, greens, sesame seeds, garlic. Lentils and chickpeas with roasted mushrooms, broccoli, and cauliflower.

Dessert - An orange and dates.

• Like 4

Sunday-

bone broth. 

for the first time in two months I cheated during my morning fast and had a square of chocolate. 

lunch- scrambled eggs with mushrooms, onions and mixed greens. Flaxseed muffin. Goat cheese slices.  More chocolate. (I know…)

no snack to make up for my chocolate sins. 

dinner-  nomato chili (pumpkin, ground beef, onions, spices and Chinese broccoli to boost the nutritional content. Then I had the Reeses that I found while decluttering. 

hard boiled eggs 

• Like 4

On 3/5/2022 at 7:17 PM, Selkie said:

Saturday - 

Breakfast - Mixed microgreens. Muesli/bean bowl with figs, blueberries, apple, kiwi, macadamias, black walnuts, seed mix, cinnamon, walnut milk.

Lunch - Salad with assorted greens and microgreens, red cabbage, beets, tomatoes, snap peas, sweet potatoes, carrots, mushrooms, hemp seeds. Kumquats and a lemon poppyseed WellBean bar.

Dinner - Purple veggie burger (made of beets, red onions, carrots, chickpeas, oats). Leftover oven fries, dill pickles, roasted veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, zucchini, yellow squash).

Are the veggie burgers a recipe or store bought? 

Yesterday I ate a bit more but also was more active than usual. Feeling tired of my breakfast that I've been eating for weeks now- need to change it up.

I'm eating about 5 meals a day of varying sizes. I'm following recommendations from Precision Nutrition focused on recomp. They base their servings on hand size serving sizes- so no measuring. Protein is about palm size, carbs cupped handful, fat- thumb etc. This helps me to keep my meals balanced which keeps me feeling more satiated. My goals are- 5 protein servings a day/7 carbs (grains/legumes (unless used for protein serving)/ fruit/starchy vegs- potatoes)/8 fat/ 4+ vegs.

• Like 4

I wanted to start this at the beginning of the month but didn’t have the energy. I’ll try my best to play along. 🙂 

I'm one week (!) out from a total abdominal hysterectomy, keeping only the ovaries. This month I’m concentrating on nothing but healing—exercising as my body allows (walking only until cleared for more) and keeping my diet clean. This surgery was a long time coming and I’m using it as an opportunity to get back to my healthiest self. 

Since coming home from the hospital last Wednesday and kicking the pain meds that were making me nauseous, I feel like I’ve been eating all day long. My body clearly needs and is using every bit of energy I’m feeding it to heal and repair.

Breakfasts have been typically a small pumpkin smoothie (almond milk, pumpkin purée, vanilla protein powder, flax seeds, peanut butter) plus a scrambled egg, veggie sausages and applesauce. And 2 cups of coffee. I’ve been seriously hungry in the morning.

Lunches I can’t remember. Huh.

Snacks, nibbling all day: flax and seed crackers, hummus, grapes, bell pepper slices, cucumber slices, assorted unsalted nuts

Dinners have been some variation of lean protein (eggs, chicken or salmon), veggies (roasted sweet potatoes, green beans) and sometimes a comfort craving like plain rice or mac and cheese. Last night DH made a teriyaki seiten stir fry with peppers and pineapple.  

I'm drinking tons of water and herbal tea. The hospital sent me home with a 28 oz/800 ml water mug and I’m drinking 3-4 or more per day.

• Like 6

52 minutes ago, MEmama said:

I wanted to start this at the beginning of the month but didn’t have the energy. I’ll try my best to play along. 🙂 

I'm one week (!) out from a total abdominal hysterectomy, keeping only the ovaries. This month I’m concentrating on nothing but healing—exercising as my body allows (walking only until cleared for more) and keeping my diet clean. This surgery was a long time coming and I’m using it as an opportunity to get back to my healthiest self. 

Since coming home from the hospital last Wednesday and kicking the pain meds that were making me nauseous, I feel like I’ve been eating all day long. My body clearly needs and is using every bit of energy I’m feeding it to heal and repair.

Breakfasts have been typically a small pumpkin smoothie (almond milk, pumpkin purée, vanilla protein powder, flax seeds, peanut butter) plus a scrambled egg, veggie sausages and applesauce. And 2 cups of coffee. I’ve been seriously hungry in the morning.

Lunches I can’t remember. Huh.

Snacks, nibbling all day: flax and seed crackers, hummus, grapes, bell pepper slices, cucumber slices, assorted unsalted nuts

Dinners have been some variation of lean protein (eggs, chicken or salmon), veggies (roasted sweet potatoes, green beans) and sometimes a comfort craving like plain rice or mac and cheese. Last night DH made a teriyaki seiten stir fry with peppers and pineapple.  

I'm drinking tons of water and herbal tea. The hospital sent me home with a 28 oz/800 ml water mug and I’m drinking 3-4 or more per day.

Welcome! I hope your recovery continues ot go well. 

I eat ALOT in the morning too. I only half-way joke when I say I eat like a hobbit. I have 1st and 2nd breakfast. Then a good size lunch. Afternoon might be just a small snack or meal size depending on the day. Dinner is usually smaller. Morning fasts or smaller meals leaves me eating more and not so good choices later. 

Today was- blueberries/greek nf yogurt/homemade granola after workout- 2 eggs/1 slice gf toast/2 cuties. 

2 days a week I do lower intensity workouts and aim for 1 big breakfast or 1 usual breakfast + snack

• Like 3

Monday

Breakfast - yoghurt,  Shreddies, blueberries 

Lunch - Black beans, chicken breast,  cauliflower,  kefir, leftover roast veg

Snack - quark with Marmite and purple carrot 

Supper - leftover bean and veg bake, celery stir-fried with chicken breast, fried egg. Prunes and chocologic.

• Like 4

Monday - 

Breakfast - Mixed microgreens. Muesli/bean bowl with banana, apple, blueberries, kiwi, walnuts, hazelnuts, flax, chia, cinnamon, ginger, walnut milk.

Lunch - Salad with mixed microgreens, cucumber, and tomatoes. Veg sandwich with avocado, peppers, red onion, greens, cashew aioli, sesame seeds.

Snack - Kumquats.

Dinner - I'm making Korean bbq cauliflower and am going to throw in some tofu and kale, too. Served with black forbidden rice.

• Like 4

Monday-

bone broth 

Lunch-  scrambled eggs with mushrooms, onions and mixed greens. Goat cheese. Flaxseed muffin. 

some new compound strength training exercises. 

snack- apple with goat cheese. Grande passion iced tea with no sweetener 

dinner-  turkey southwestern skillet (ground turkey, corn, black beans, salsa, plant cheese). 

hard boiled eggs. 

• Like 4

Monday

Breakfast: small pumpkin smoothie, scrambled egg, 2 veggie sausages, applesauce, coffee 

Lunch: leftovers— teriyaki seiten with veggies over rice and 2 steamed dumplings

Snacks: red bell pepper, cucumbers, unsalted nuts, flax and seed crackers, small bowl popcorn, green grapes

Dinner: kung pao chicken with veggies over rice

• Like 4

Tuesday

breakfast - banana

lunch- bacon half slice. 1 cup Lentil, chickpea, bean and veggie soup . small banana

snack- 2 Anzac biscuits, peach, raw carrot, 1square dark chocolate

tea- tortilla pocket with mince and salad ingredients

desert sliver of German apple cake., 1 tsp whipped cream- I tried a new recipe and wanted to see how it turned out 

4711 kilojoules

I have lost 9.4 kg since first January,   1 kg to go . I am wearing jeans that I haven't worn in 10 years 🙂 

• Like 6

@Melissa in Australia Congrats on your weight loss.

I popped by the grocery store and have some more variety for today.

b: nf greek yogurt/blueberries/raspberries/nectarine/homemade granola

after workout: eggs/gf toast/potatoes/cutie orange

lunch: lentil+ veggie curry/brown rice

dinner- beef green chili enchiladas-+ peppers/onions

snacks- tbd

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I have a meatless meal planned tonight. Kale chips with parmesan, roasted potato wedges with basil aioli, and mini bell peppers stuffed with sauteed mushrooms cooked in garlic with a little bourbon and mixed with some leftover ricotta cheese from a meatless lasagna I made a few days ago. Parmesan and ricotta are lower fat so I think this makes the meal pretty healthy. I also have meatless chilli with baked potatoes on deck for Thursday night. Tomorrow night we will have roasted chicken thighs, steamed broccoli, and saffron rice, probably more kale chips because this bag of earth balance kale is big, and it is just Mark and I eating on it.

• Like 6

Tuesday - 

Breakfast - Mixed microgreens. Muesli/bean bowl with banana, kiwi, apple, blueberries, black walnuts, macadamias, flax, chia, walnut milk.

Lunch - Salad with mixed greens and microgreens, red cabbage, quinoa, black beans, zucchini, bell peppers, olives, beets, carrots, red onion, snap peas, sweet potato, pumpkin seeds. 

Dinner - Leftover Korean bbq cauliflower/romanesco/tofu/kale with black rice. There are some jerk lentils in the fridge that need to get eaten, so will have some of those as well.

Dessert - Orange and dates.

Edited by Selkie
  • Like 5

I'm doing much better today with adding veggies. I had started slacking again. I get busy and things slide- best to get a handle on it before it gets worse.

Instead of potatoes and a cutie with breakfast I had half a head of broccoli. I added a pile of spinach to my curry. 

• Like 5

Tuesday

Breakfast: small blueberry smoothie, scrambled egg, 2 pieces faux veggie bacon, applesauce

Lunch: leftovers—kung pao chicken over noodles

Snacks (still ridiculously hungry so I’m nibbling all day, figure I need the calories to heal): cashews, crackers and hummus, small bowl popcorn, fresh veggie slices

Dinner: baked haddock, air fried potatoes, mushy peas

• Like 4

before workout-- raspberries/blueberries/nectarine/nf greek yogurt/homemade granola

after workout-2 eggs/gf toast+pb/broccoli

lunch- stir-fry- baked tofu/baby bok choy stir-fry/brown rice; dark chocolate sea salt caramels

snack- pineapple/lf cottage cheese/pecans

dinner-fried rice w/ chicken/carrots/bean sprouts/peas/kale

dessert-cuties+grapes

I went to the Asian grocer yesterday so I have bags of baby bok choy and bean sprouts to use up 🙂

• Like 5

This is my 9th day without coffee or sugar. I've started eating more at breakfast. As long as I'm careful what I buy, it's not so hard to be careful what I eat in terms of snacks/treats.

Lunch - either leftovers or lentil soup.

Dinner - chickpea-stuffed sweet potatoes.

Edited by 73349
  • Like 7

Things went a bit awry because I wasn't feeling well. Doing better now.

Wednesday 

Lunch - Black beans, tofu scramble,  lots of spinach, half an avocado. Home-made yoghurt and half a pear.

Snack - cheddar, yellow pepper, poached egg

Supper - beef chilli, spring greens,  salad to start. Prunes and chocologic.

• Like 5

I've been out of the loop for several days--traveling, adjusting to altitude (so groggy and breathless!). So just a general summary--I'm actually doing pretty well with diet. I've stayed with safe choices when ordering take-out food and am still cooking appropriate choices. I actually think I've done better at holding the line than I do when at home. Some of that is the altitude miasma--I am craving just plain salads and fruit. It's been several days in southern Colorado, and I'm still breathless. I didn't expect that. 

• Like 6

Wednesday

Breakfast: small blueberry smoothie, 2 slices faux veggie bacon, leftover roasted potatoes, applesauce

Lunch: scrambled egg, 3 veggie steamed dumplings

Snacks: not as famished today. Tapioca pudding (I was craving chocolate but there wasn’t any available), flax crackers with hummus

Dinner: pasta and veggie meatballs, green salad

• Like 4

Today I had chicken for the second time since starting this protocol. 

Lunch was 100g romaine lettuce, 15g red onion, 50g avocado, canned julienned beets, 3 oz grilled chicken breast, with a vinaigrette dressing. 

Dinner was another 3 oz of chicken, steamed brocolli, turnip greens. oh I made dipping sauce for the boring chicken--sriracha in vegan mayo. I don't feel particularly satisfied from dinner. I think I'm going to steam some sweet potato for dessert. I probably need more calories anyway. I need to log dinner and see where I am.

Overall, I am still feeling better. Much less aches and pains in my legs and joints. I felt so good on Monday that I overdid it a bit. Tuesday I was very fatigued. Today I felt better and tried to pace myself better, but my legs are a little achey tonight. 😕

Edited by popmom
  • Like 5