Menu

March healthy eating

Laura Corin

Our of town all day yesterday with a college tour- dead tired with time change, plans yesterday, and dh going out of town I've not slept near what I need to. I made up a quick batch of muesli today- inspired by @Laura Corin post and looking at recipes I threw what I had together- cocoa nibs, dates, sunflower seeds, gf rolled oats, pecans, and almonds. Need to make something up for lunch but lack of energy is making it hard to think.

started typing up food for today but it is going to depend on how much energy I can muster, which isn't much right now. Need to make some kind of salad for lunches. Have to check to see what I have left in the frig to use up before groceries.

think I'll do lettuce wraps tonight (was going to do another night but got moved) https://damndelicious.net/2014/05/30/pf-changs-chicken-lettuce-wraps/

• Like 4

Breakfast: Up early with a bowl of gf, low-sugar granola with almond milk. 

Lunch: Chicken with broccoli, onion, red pepper, tomato, black-eyed peas.

Dinner: Will be ordering Mexican take-out for ds' last vacation day with us. Yesterday's meal felt too heavy for me, so I think I will have no issues sticking to something lighter (like tacos and a salad).

Snack: I cut yesterday's vacation brownies into much small pieces. Today I will focus on sunflower seeds and fruit, but I will allow myself a gf df brownie as well. 

• Like 3

Late breakfast today (Tuesday): baked oatmeal. Had two plastic containers of baby spinach about to go out of date. Sautéed them and ate one container. Glass of carrot juice.

About to make a banana, peanut butter, and buckwheat flour smoothie. (Sounds weird, but it’s pretty good. And filling). 

Will have beans, rice, lettuce, tomato, and Fody taco sauce for dinner. 

• Like 4

Tuesday - 

Breakfast - Mixed microgreens. Muesli/bean bowl with pineapple, mango, apple, strawberries, blueberries, walnuts, macadamias, flax, chia, pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Leftover riced cauliflower with pineapple and stir fry veggies. Walnut chocolate chip WellBean bar.

Snack - Olina's Simply Seed crackers.

Dinner - Pizza with kale, mushrooms, red onion, peppers, olives, garlic.

Dessert - Oranges.

• Like 4

I had coffee instead of breakfast and regretted it. Didn't feel well afterward. I should cook more buckwheat tonight.

Lunch was a mushroom burger patty with cheese and tomato slices. Apple for snack.

I got in a 20-minute walk in the woods while DS was in a class. 🙂

Dinner will be veggie fried rice (broccoli, zucchini, carrot, probably edamame). DH is making it, so probably an egg for each of us on top.

Edited by 73349
  • Like 5

Schedule changed yesterday and I was starving while at shopping. Picked up some popped chickpea snacks- ate more than I should have. Not the best choice but not the worst.

b: homemade muesli (gf oats, dates, pecans, almonds, sunflower seeds, cocoa nibs); nf plain greek yogurt; raspberries/blueberries/mango

snack- mandarins- mixed nuts (walnuts/macadamia/cashews)

l: Italian salad(romaine/green cabbage/red onion/red bell pepper/celery/tomatoes/banana peppers/chickpeas/feta)- baked tofu parmesan w/ marinara

matcha energy balls

s: popped chickpea "chips"; simple smoothie (unsweet almond milk+protein powder)

d: lettuce chicken wraps; sesame green beans; roasted spiced sweet potato

Edited by Soror
  • Like 4

My "healthy eating" in March has improved from eating big bags of junk food to portioning out the junk food into smaller amounts. I'm so proud. 😄

When the stressors decrease in my life, I'm going to attempt regular, proper healthy eating again. For now, I need small portions of comfort food for survival. 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 6

37 minutes ago, wintermom said:

My "healthy eating" in March has improved from eating big bags of junk food to portioning out the junk food into smaller amounts. I'm so proud. 😄

When the stressors decrease in my life, I'm going to attempt regular, proper healthy eating again. For now, I need small portions of comfort food for survival. 

(hugs) sometimes we do what we can and that isn't much. It is very hard to put any focus on eating healthy when you are overwhelmed with stress. Things start to slide. You don't have the time or energy. YOu turn to crappy food for that energy. It is a bad cycle and hard to break when you're just surviving.

• Like 4

Better than expected today.

Breakfast--Ate a clementine super early, then a square of egg casserole later (egg, potato, sausage, onion).

Lunch--Big salad.

Snack--A modest portion of gf brownie.

Dinner--Eating with friends tonight. They share the same goals for health and nutrition, so I happy to just relax and enjoy whatever it is.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Soror said:

(hugs) sometimes we do what we can and that isn't much. It is very hard to put any focus on eating healthy when you are overwhelmed with stress. Things start to slide. You don't have the time or energy. YOu turn to crappy food for that energy. It is a bad cycle and hard to break when you're just surviving.

I think there's also an "allergy effect" where I feel like my body is craving something and I need to satisfy that urge. The food or drink doesn't fix the feeling. It's kind of weird and hard to explain. 

• Like 3

Wednesday - 

Breakfast - Mixed microgreens. Muesli/bean bowl with kiwi, blueberries, mango, apple, walnuts, pecans, flax, chia, pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Salad with mixed greens and microgreens, cauliflower, beets, mini peppers, olives, snap peas, carrots, hemp seeds, tofu, pecan balsamic dressing. Strawberries.

Dinner - Veggie burger wraps - 1 Actual Veggies purple burger (beets, carrot, & red onion) and 1/2 black burger (black bean & red pepper) with pickles, red onion, and salad greens. Baked oven fries (mix of Yukon Gold and purple and orange sweet potatoes). Roasted asparagus.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, wintermom said:

I think there's also an "allergy effect" where I feel like my body is craving something and I need to satisfy that urge. The food or drink doesn't fix the feeling. It's kind of weird and hard to explain. 

There is a theory that junk food design specifically produces this effect. One craves umami or salt or sweet and the junk food offers that. The junk food can't satisfy because the actual need is for a complete protein, a slow release gut-nourishing carbohydrate or a wide variety of phyto chemicals. As the need isn't satisfied, one eats more junk. The signals pre-date industrialised food design and can be exploited.

For now - it's a season. Eat what feels right.

• Like 4

Thursday - ate pretty well overall but that included lots of low-sugar granola. I had the tiredness/stress munchies

Breakfast - yoghurt, mandarin and granola

Lunch - roast celeriac,  red cabbage, quinoa, kefir and chicken liver

Supper - beetroot-nut-quinoa patties. Broccoli.  Prunes and Chocologic. 

Snack - granola mostly. Apple. Cheesy oatcakes.

• Like 4

The children are tearing threw my fruit. No more mango 😞

b: nf plain greek yogurt/blueberries/raspberries/strawberries/ homemade muesli - dates/sunflower seeds/pecans/almonds/oats/cocoa nibs

l: Italian salad-romaine/green cabbage/red pepper/purple onion/celery/tomato/banana peppers/carrots/chickpeas/feta/homemade vinaigrette- lettuce chicken wraps (in iceberg topped with green onion); dark chocolate+ prunes

d: kids are having pizza-  not sure for me....depends on how spunky I'm feeling.... bunless burger w/ mushrooms & onions and baked potato on the side sounds very good

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Soror said:

The children are tearing threw my fruit. No more mango 😞

I love it when the dc eat the fruit. However, why do they always eat one kind of fruit one week, then avoid it completely the next week right after you've stocked up. Then it ends up rotting. What is the name of this "effect?" Is it all part of the "Let's see how we can mess with mom's mind this week" parenting dilemma? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

There is a theory that junk food design specifically produces this effect. One craves umami or salt or sweet and the junk food offers that. The junk food can't satisfy because the actual need is for a complete protein, a slow release gut-nourishing carbohydrate or a wide variety of phyto chemicals. As the need isn't satisfied, one eats more junk. The signals pre-date industrialised food design and can be exploited.

For now - it's a season. Eat what feels right.

That's makes a lot of sense. The junk food industry has spent mega $$ on research into what people love to eat. The health research sector just doesn't have the same level of focus or financial incentive. 😁

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, wintermom said:

I love it when the dc eat the fruit. However, why do they always eat one kind of fruit one week, then avoid it completely the next week right after you've stocked up. Then it ends up rotting. What is the name of this "effect?" Is it all part of the "Let's see how we can mess with mom's mind this week" parenting dilemma? 

LOL, right, always! I love them eating fruit but really wanted a bit for my breakfast this am but when ds asked if he could have the rest I couldn't say no.

• Like 5

I am struggling already, but I have a plan. I'm staying at a friend's house. I was up super early to work and am now tired and craving food, but I think the better plan is to sleep for a bit, then a good lunch rather than trying to eat through the tiredness.

Breakfast--2 hard-boiled eggs

Lunch--Leftover chicken and rice, possibly salad or fruit

Snack--Taking a walk with my friend later, so I will enjoy a coffee from the local place and possibly a snack of some sort.

Dinner--Mexican take-out. Being df and gf helps keep the choices limited to healthier options.

If I'm desperate, I also have a dark chocolate stash--usually 1-2 squares leaves me satisfied.

• Like 7

breakfast - buckwheat cereal with blueberries; coffee

lunch - black beans, corn, and tomato on a corn tortilla, and what was left of the rice

snack - dried apple, cashews, pickles (not together!)

dinner - salad with cannellini beans, potatoes, and green beans

• Like 6

Thursday - 

Today was hectic and much of it was spent in the car, but I kept on track with my meals.

Breakfast - Mixed microgreens. Muesli/bean bowl with mango, apple, strawberries, blueberries, kiwi, walnuts, macadamias, flax, chia, pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Salad with mixed greens, red cabbage, beets, cauliflower, carrots, mini peppers, snap peas, tofu, hemp seeds, balsamic vinegar. Last small piece of leftover kale mushroom pizza. Lemon poppyseed WellBean bar.

Dinner - Same as last night - 1.5 veggie burgers with pickles, red onion, spinach. Baked sweet potato fries, roasted asparagus, radishes, snap peas.

Dessert - An orange and a D'Vash almond pistachio date bar.

• Like 4

Thursday-

bone broth 

compound exercises that already have me in pain. 

lunch-  scrambled eggs with mushrooms and onions and mixed greens. Goat cheese. Flaxseed muffin. 

snack- apple with peanut/chocolate butter

dinner-  turkey meatballs, dairy free  tsaziki sauce, Greek lemon potatoes. Chocolate squares. 

hard boiled eggs. 

• Like 3

It’s been a month since I’ve been on this sort of elimination/anti inflammatory woe. I’ve eaten bread and dairy a couple of times, but I’ve stuck to it otherwise. I’m sort of shocked that 4 weeks have gone by. My achey muscles and joints are so much better. My energy levels have improved—or maybe it’s that my depression is better. I’m actually enjoying some things. Weird. 😉 All these improvements in spite of still being on the roller coaster of being estranged from my parents**, the therapy, the occasional drama. 

It’s just 4 weeks. Maybe it’s coincidence. There’s certainly no harm in continuing to eat this way. I’d love to add eggs back in, but I think I’ll wait. 

lunch today was romaine, grilled chicken, cucumber, red onion, avocado, vinaigrette. 

dinner was chicken thighs, parsnips, carrot, potatoes, red onion—all tossed together and roasted in balsamic vinegar and EVOO, seasoned with garlic, fresh thyme (that survived winter in spite of my neglect—yay), and sliced lemons. Side of leftover collard greens from yesterday. 

**I met with my dad today—secretly—as in my mother doesn’t know. (Planned beforehand with my counselor’s input) It was nerve wracking. I think it went well. It was the right thing to do. But BOY I wanted wine tonight! I was so tense and drained. But I resisted. Go me. 

• Like 7

Friday - 

Breakfast - Mixed microgreens. Muesli/bean bowl with figs, kiwi, mango, blueberries, apple, black walnuts, hazelnuts, flax, chia, pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Two toasted Dave's Killer English muffins topped with spinach and smashed chickpeas mixed with dijon mustard, garlic, dill, onion, diced pickle, orange bell pepper, and tomatoes.

Dinner - Pasta with garlicky mushrooms and spinach, roasted broccoli, kale pesto, and marinara.

Dessert - Oranges and dates.

• Like 5

Friday- cheat day 

bone broth 

lunch- scrambled eggs with mushrooms, onions, mixed greens. Goat cheese. Flaxseed muffin 

snack-  apple with peanut/chocolate butter. 

dinner-  Vietnamese “noodle salad “ (chicken, onions, peanuts, rice vermicelli noodles, romaine and my favorite pickled carrots and daikon). Hot green tea. 
One scoop peanut butter fudge ice cream in a gf cone  

hard boiled eggs 

• Like 4

Friday

Lunch - celeriac,  mushroom and chicken liver with kefir, wholegrain toast

Snack - apple, carrot, quark, mandarin, cheddar, cheesy oatcakes.

Supper- half a pork chop, spring greens, sugar snap peas. Granola 

I'm down at the bottom of my comfortable weight range. I'll start adding in more whole grains next week. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

breakfast- nf plain greek yogurt/pineapple/mango/blueberries/raspberries

homemade muesli (no oil or sweetners)- rolled oats/chopped dates/sunflower seeds/pepitas/almonds/pecans/cashews/macademia nut/walnuts/coconut flakes (unsweet)/cocoa nibs

lunch- eggs/turkey sausage/kale/hashbrown

dinner- (didn't cook the other night) bunless burger/garlic mushrooms/ carmelized onions/- veg skewers- bell pepper/zucchini/sweet potatoes

snacks-  prunes+ chocolate; ???

• Like 3

I'll post yesterday's food just so you can compare y'all's ultra-healthy eating plans to mine!

breakfast: my mocha (1 c. milk, 2 tsp espresso powder, 1 Tbs sugar-free choc syrup, 1 Tbs Torani choc syrup--135 calories); baked oatmeal with blueberries and apple

lunch: PBJ on whole wheat and an apple

after school: a package of Belvita and too many cashews. I should have had one or the other, not both.

dinner: spaghetti with marinara. Too tired to make a salad. But at least I didn't have bread too!

• Like 5

I'm happy where my weight is right now, I'm happy with a slightly smaller tummy, I'm happy with sometimes feeling slightly hungry and never feeling over-stuffed with food. It seems like I should be able to eat like this all year, but it's hard to keep up the no-sweets lifestyle beyond Lent. Our college kids come home for spring break today and there will be dinners out and celebratory eating. It will be a hard week to keep the weight down, but I will try to maintain this week.

• Like 6

44 minutes ago, Ali in OR said:

I'll post yesterday's food just so you can compare y'all's ultra-healthy eating plans to mine!

breakfast: my mocha (1 c. milk, 2 tsp espresso powder, 1 Tbs sugar-free choc syrup, 1 Tbs Torani choc syrup--135 calories); baked oatmeal with blueberries and apple

lunch: PBJ on whole wheat and an apple

after school: a package of Belvita and too many cashews. I should have had one or the other, not both.

dinner: spaghetti with marinara. Too tired to make a salad. But at least I didn't have bread too!

Don’t feel like you have to justify what works for you. I am obese. I am also diabetic. I eat what I eat (which is fairly healthy other than Friday cheat day), am pushing myself with strength training (difficult to do cuz of my fibromyalgia ) and my weight hasn’t budged after a small loss a couple of months ago. I am tempted to do diy liposuction 😉 but I am not willing to mess with my bad metabolism even more by lowering calories below what my doctor and nutritionists have told me is healthy. 

• Like 5

Saturday - a little askew from my normal eating, due to commitments

Breakfast - yoghurt, blueberries, granola

Lunch - mozarella and tomato ciabatta.  San Pellegrino aranciata.

Snack - apple and quark

Supper - Thai curry, grilled pork belly, salad, rice and tea fudge

• Like 5

Saturday -

bone broth

finished pruning one more large hydrangea.  (This counts as some exercise and I'm putting it in this thread because it supposedly is all supposed to work in tandem with what I'm eating.)

lunch - scrambled eggs with onions, mushrooms and mixed greens.  Goat cheese.  Flaxseed muffin.

took Juliet to the dog park.  Went when my weather app said it would be dry.  The app lied.  We both got soaked to the skin in cold rain.  But Juliet was still very happy and I got in more exercise.

snack - apple with peanut chocolate butter.  (Our natural food co-op's version of Nutella, I guess.)

dinner - the other half of the Vietnamese noodle salad from last night (chicken, onions, peanuts, rice vermicelli noodles, romaine and my favorite pickled carrots and daikon).

hard boiled eggs.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Ali in OR said:

I was in a small group yesterday where I felt really judged for my food choices. It's always something. You don't grow your own stuff-- you don't make xyz. Pfft. I've done better and I've done worse than I am now. I have the luxury of getting to stay home and not work so I have more time. But others may have more or less time. Some have different priorities and goals. No judging here. I'm looking for inspiration and motivation. 

• Like 7

Saturday - 

Breakfast - Mixed microgreens. Muesli/bean bowl with mango, apple, blueberries, kiwi, walnuts, pistachios, flax, chia, pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Same as yesterday - two Dave's Killer English muffins with salad greens, smashed chickpeas, and veggies. A handful each of snap peas and strawberries.

Dinner - A large quantity of sushi (nori, brown rice, tofu, avocado, carrots, scallions, red cabbage, panko, sesame seeds).

Dessert - Oranges, maybe a couple dates.

• Like 4

Today more of the same:

breakfast: plain nf greek yogurt/mango/blueberry/raspberry/pineapple

no oil/no sweetener- muesli-gf oats/unsweet coconut/cocoa nibs/dates/sunflower seeds/pepitas/walnuts/pecans/almonds/cashews/macadamias

lunch: 2 eggs/turkey sausage/roasted spiced sweet potato/sauteed kale w/ balsamic vinegar; 2 dark choc sea salt caramels

snack: chickpea/iceberg/tomato/feta/evoo/red wine vinegar

dinner: stew--- I think-- beef/potatoes/carrots/corn/tomatoes/onions/garlic OR a beef stir fry???

might have an apple w/ pb w/ chia+flax

Appetite has been down some as I've only been doing light exercise this week. Starting back with weight lifting next week but doing shorter workouts.

Need to make a batch of oat seed crackers and kale chips today. Also, maybe prep a lunch- some kind of bowl w/ tofu.

• Like 3

Sunday - 

Breakfast - Mixed microgreens. Muesli/bean bowl with banana, mango, kiwi, apple, strawberries, blueberries, walnuts, pistachios, flax seed, walnut milk.

Lunch - Leftover tofu/veggie sushi. Snap peas, cherry tomatoes, and an apple.

Dinner - Tacos - corn tortillas, spicy chickpeas, crispy tofu, brown rice, garlicky spinach, roasted mushrooms, a tiny bit of guacamole (only had one decent avocado, and it was a small one), salsa.

Dessert - Cacao fruit.

• Like 3

Sunday- didn’t do great but it wasn’t my worst either. 

bone broth. 
Didn’t sleep enough last night. So I “medicated “ myself with food- one snack size bag of Ruffles chips and a piece of chocolate. 

lunch-  Chinese buffet: vegetable fried rice. Spare rib. One tamago (egg) sushi. One vegetable sushi piece. Cooked spinach. Sautéed green beans. 

orange quarter. Cantaloupe piece. Honeydew melon piece. Two marshmallows covered in chocolate. A mini flan. 

no snack after that lunch!

dinner- leftover roasted Greek potatoes and turkey meatballs. Topped with vegan cucumber tzatziki sauce. 

hard boiled eggs. 

• Like 3

I got my Miso Kale Chips made and ended up eating half before dinner as I skipped my afternoon salad snack. 

I did not get my crackers made or any lunch prep as dh unexpectedly wanted to go on a long walk and then I had to take dd1 some places. I did make some extra roasted broccoli I'll eat with lunch.

I ended up making a beef and veggie stir-fry with noodles(white rice) for dinner.

breakfast: mango/blueberry/raspberry/pineapple+ nf plain greek yogurt+ no sweet/oil muesli- multi seed/nut 

after workout: eggs+ kale+ roasted spiced sweet potato

lunch: leftover beef+ noodle+ veggie (cabbage/green onion/red bell pepper/broccoli/carrot)- heavy on veg- light on beef; 2 dark choc sea salt caramels

snack: chickpea/iceberg/cabbage/tomato+ feta+ evoo+ red wine vinegar

apple+ nat pb w/ chia and flax

dinner: cauliflower gnocchi --- I think---

• Like 3

@Soror I admire your industry - the kale chips sound amazing, but I've only once massaged kale (for a really good Yotam Ottolenghi recipe) and I suspect I'm too lazy to do it again.

Monday (probably something like this):

Lunch - leftover pork chop meat with cauliflower and kefir.  Yoghurt with fruit and quinoa/oat/cinnamon crunch

Supper - a new bean dish from my Gut Health Doctor library book.  Kohlrabi and leaf salad with yoghurt dressing.  Some other veg (haven't looked in the fridge yet).  Prunes.

Snack - the usual apple and quark.  Probably some granola too.

Meanwhile, I'm trying my hand at these fermented tomatoes. I'm not sure the house is warm enough - a problem that I've had with trying to start sourdough before - so I might put a microwave pad under the jar. https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/garam-masala-cherry-tomatoes-fermentation-b2021192.html

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

@Soror I admire your industry - the kale chips sound amazing, but I've only once massaged kale (for a really good Yotam Ottolenghi recipe) and I suspect I'm too lazy to do it again.

Monday (probably something like this):

Lunch - leftover pork chop meat with cauliflower and kefir.  Yoghurt with fruit and quinoa/oat/cinnamon crunch

Supper - a new bean dish from my Gut Health Doctor library book.  Kohlrabi and leaf salad with yoghurt dressing.  Some other veg (haven't looked in the fridge yet).  Prunes.

Snack - the usual apple and quark.  Probably some granola too.

Meanwhile, I'm trying my hand at these fermented tomatoes. I'm not sure the house is warm enough - a problem that I've had with trying to start sourdough before - so I might put a microwave pad under the jar. https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/garam-masala-cherry-tomatoes-fermentation-b2021192.html

Honestly, it didn't take too long and the girls ended up finishing them for me as dh and I went on a walk. 

I was motivated to try my hand at trying fermenting again after reading the gut book but I usually have trouble as well. Seems I catch things that interfere. I love kombucha but the several times I've tried making it has been rather blech. I have had better luck fermenting vegs but haven't done any in a long time. You'll have to report back how they turn out.

• Like 3

Monday-

Dh and I are feeling “punky” after yesterday. I think that both of us ate something slightly bad yesterday at the Chinese buffet. 

bone broth 

lunch-  scrambled eggs with onions, mixed greens. Goat cheese. Flaxseed muffin. 

snack- half of a gf Matzo cracker with some goat cheese. 

dinner-  chicken vegetable soup (carrots, bell peppers, cabbage, onions, mushrooms, broccoli, zucchini, red cabbage, sugar snap peas and celery). Oh and I chopped up and added the very last of the roasted baby potatoes. Half of a gf roll. Too many carbs but my tummy is craving soft bland foods. 

hard boiled eggs 

• Like 3