Menu

March healthy eating

Laura Corin

Wednesday - 

Breakfast - Mixed microgreens. Muesli/bean bowl with pineapple, banana, strawberries, blueberries, apple, hazelnuts, walnuts, chia, flax, cinnamon, ginger, walnut milk.

Lunch - Salad with mixed microgreens, tomatoes, cucumber, beets, snap peas, hemp seeds, pecan balsamic dressing. Quinoa with black beans, sweet potato, red bell peppers, pumpkin seeds, and cashew queso.

Dinner - Chickpea pasta with garlicky mushrooms (totally delicious). Roasted asparagus and Brussels sprouts. Strawberries.

Dessert - Blood oranges and figs.

• Like 5

Yesterday's lunch was not enough so I'll be adding in more veggies today. It was like a half pound of bok choy, along with the rice and tofu but of course bok choy isn't very calorically dense and once it cooked down it wasn't much volume. It was however delicious. 

Not sure on my intake today. I'll be doing a lighter workout but the weather is nice meaning I might get more active time outside so I'm planning about the same amount of food as usual. If I end up less active and less hungry than planned I'll eat less. Always better to have it planned and not need it than not have a plan and go for choices that aren't as good.

b: blueberries/raspberries/apple/nf greek yogurt/homemade granola 

b2: sauteed kale +onions/gf toast/eggs

l: baby bok choy/green cabbage/carrots/bean sprouts/baked tofu/sprouted grains; 

dark sea salt caramels

s: lf cottage cheese/pineapple/pecans

d: cauliflower pizza/baked potato/broccoli

• Like 4

Thursday

Lunch - leftover veggies (butternut squash, purple carrot, shallots, green pepper) with veggie sausages

Supper - beetroot, lentil and ginger soup

Snack - not sure - the cupboard is bare and I need to go shopping.  It may end up being a poached egg and some cucumber, because that's what I've got!

Weight steadily below my emergency action point, but I'd like to bring it a bit lower for safety.

• Like 4

Wednesday -

breakfast: cooked buckwheat with pecans, raisins and cinnamon

morning snack: ODoughs bagel with peanut butter

lunch: no idea yet TBH

dinner: black beans, almond flour tortillas, chopped tomato, lettuce, corn, guacamole/salsa

• Like 6

So far today, I've had:

--3 oat bran muffins

--gf pasta with meat sauce, pear

snacks: banana, 2 squares dk choc, small handful chips (salt craving!)

The plan moving forward:

--Pork chops, potatoes, green beans, salad

If I need another snack (was up at 4:30am, so that messes up everything), I have some homemade, gf buckwheat bread and some sour apple jam (low sugar). Always good to have a plan.

• Like 5

Thursday:

Breakfast: small blueberry smoothie, fried egg, 2 pieces faux veggie bacon, strawberries

Lunch: leftover pasta and veggie not balls

Snacks: famished all day. I’m eating everything placed in front of me (though, admittedly, portions are small. I’m probably eating less than usual overall, it just doesn’t feel like it because I don’t typically nibble all day): Green grapes, half an apple with peanut butter, flax crackers, tapioca pudding, mixed nuts, 4 small trader joes chocolate peanut butter cups 

Dinner: Chicken tortellini soup

• Like 6

Today has been hard. Dd is home from college for spring break, so I've been cooking some of her favorite dishes. It has triggered some cravings. I REALLY wanted to eat my hamburger on a bun with cheese. I've just been really wanting a sandwich of some kind today. I made sure to get some carbs in, and that helped a little. I'm surprised it has taken this long for me to struggle with a craving. 

Lunch: turnip greens and 4 ounces grilled chicken breast, vegan mayo/sriracha sauce

Dinner: 80/20 hamburger patty, salad of romaine, red onion, beets, cucumber. 90g of baked potato with ghee and salt. I made a vinaigrette with melfor vinegar, dijon, and EVOO. I think I'm going to buy some avocado oil to try. I try so hard to like EVOO, but I just can't. 

Edited by popmom
  • Like 5

Thursday - 

Breakfast - Mixed microgreens. Muesli/bean bowl with pineapple, banana, strawberries, blueberries, apple, pistachios, pecans, flax, chia, cinnamon, ginger, walnut milk.

Lunch - Salad with lettuce, mixed microgreens, beets, snap peas, carrots, tomatoes, olives, wfpb ranch. Leftover Korean bbq cauliflower/tofu with black rice. Kumquats.

Dinner - Samosa rolls (almond flour tortillas with potatoes, sweet potatoes, chickpeas, red onion, jalapeño, ginger, garlic, and loads of spices).

Dessert - Blood oranges and a few macadamias.

• Like 4

Had some store bought vegetable fried rice that made me really sick. I need to get back on track with what I was doing because it was working (eating my same old rotation of food) and I felt good. Note to self: only eat low fodmap homemade fried veggie rice. Didn’t eat much else today. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, Indigo Blue said:

Had some store bought vegetable fried rice that made me really sick. I need to get back on track with what I was doing because it was working (eating my same old rotation of food) and I felt good. Note to self: only eat low fodmap homemade fried veggie rice. Didn’t eat much else today. 

I’m sorry you’ve had that ill feeling. I hope you’re feeling much better now. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, MEmama said:

Thursday:

Breakfast: small blueberry smoothie, fried egg, 2 pieces faux veggie bacon, strawberries

Lunch: leftover pasta and veggie not balls

Snacks: famished all day. I’m eating everything placed in front of me (though, admittedly, portions are small. I’m probably eating less than usual overall, it just doesn’t feel like it because I don’t typically nibble all day): Green grapes, half an apple with peanut butter, flax crackers, tapioca pudding, mixed nuts, 4 small trader joes chocolate peanut butter cups 

Dinner: Chicken tortellini soup

I've had a few eat-everything days recently.  By keeping the snacks small and healthy-ish, I've muddled through. By tracking everything I've managed to persuade myself that this is normal variation - particularly as I haven't been feeling well - rather than some kind of failure.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

I've had a few eat-everything days recently.  By keeping the snacks small and healthy-ish, I've muddled through. By tracking everything I've managed to persuade myself that this is normal variation - particularly as I haven't been feeling well - rather than some kind of failure.

Sickness throws everything off, I agree it’s important to be gentle with ourselves when we get off our game. ❤️

Right now while my body is working so hard at healing, I'm guiltlessly honouring its needs. 🙂 I’m pleased that I’m mostly craving healthy foods, but when I want a bit of chocolate to keep me mentally happy, that’s important too. I don’t really do guilt or failure— I aim for best practices but try to just dust myself off when it doesn’t work out. I have no expectation or desire for living a life without treats or days off, lol. I suspect if I counted my true calorie intake it would be rather low given my relative lack of exercise; my aim right now is to provide my body with the nutrition and gentle movement it needs to repair itself and regain strength. 

I'm glad you are over the worst of your sickness; it’s frustrating how long the after effects can last. I’m impressed with how active you’ve been! 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MEmama said:

Sickness throws everything off, I agree it’s important to be gentle with ourselves when we get off our game. ❤️

Right now while my body is working so hard at healing, I'm guiltlessly honouring its needs. 🙂 I’m pleased that I’m mostly craving healthy foods, but when I want a bit of chocolate to keep me mentally happy, that’s important too. I don’t really do guilt or failure— I aim for best practices but try to just dust myself off when it doesn’t work out. I have no expectation or desire for living a life without treats or days off, lol. I suspect if I counted my true calorie intake it would be rather low given my relative lack of exercise; my aim right now is to provide my body with the nutrition and gentle movement it needs to repair itself and regain strength. 

I'm glad you are over the worst of your sickness; it’s frustrating how long the after effects can last. I’m impressed with how active you’ve been! 

I think that's a great plan, especially with healing. If you're eating good foods it is what you need.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, popmom said:

Today has been hard. Dd is home from college for spring break, so I've been cooking some of her favorite dishes. It has triggered some cravings. I REALLY wanted to eat my hamburger on a bun with cheese. I've just been really wanting a sandwich of some kind today. I made sure to get some carbs in, and that helped a little. I'm surprised it has taken this long for me to struggle with a craving. 

Lunch: turnip greens and 4 ounces grilled chicken breast, vegan mayo/sriracha sauce

Dinner: 80/20 hamburger patty, salad of romaine, red onion, beets, cucumber. 90g of baked potato with ghee and salt. I made a vinaigrette with melfor vinegar, dijon, and EVOO. I think I'm going to buy some avocado oil to try. I try so hard to like EVOO, but I just can't. 

Have you tried walnut oil? I’ve never cooked with it, but it’s nice in a vinaigrette. Avocado oil is also yummy, so you should definitely try that too, though!

• Like 2

I so want a cup of coffee right now. Might cave at lunchtime. But at least the meal situation is good.

breakfast - buckwheat cereal, nuts

lunch - ants on a log and/or leftovers (black beans, corn, sweet potato, probably tomato) ETA: Made rice, too.

dinner - red lentil soup with quinoa

Edited by 73349
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, mmasc said:

Have you tried walnut oil? I’ve never cooked with it, but it’s nice in a vinaigrette. Avocado oil is also yummy, so you should definitely try that too, though!

I have never tried either! Do you have any particular brand that you recommend? I mostly shop at Aldi and Publix lately, I have a Trader Joe's and Whole Foods nearby, too. Trader Joe's is where my EVOO came from. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, popmom said:

I have never tried either! Do you have any particular brand that you recommend? I mostly shop at Aldi and Publix lately, I have a Trader Joe's and Whole Foods nearby, too. Trader Joe's is where my EVOO came from. 

I’ve had good luck with this brand. I’m no oil connoisseur, 😁but I’ve liked their walnut, avocado, and toasted sesame. I probably tried them originally because they’re easy to find in quite a few grocery stores. Out of the stores you listed, I’d say Publix for sure would carry this brand, and most likely WF. Definitely not Aldi and I’m not sure about TJ’s.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Tough day as I did not sleep well tonight, but I am holding steady on food.

Early--one pear

Breakfast--scrambled eggs with ham, 1 clementine

Lunch--Chicken/veg/bean stuff, 1 clementine

Snack--will allow myself a handful of chips and a square or two of dark chocolate.

Dinner--Whatever I find at the grocery store, lol. Possibly steaks and potatoes and veg and salad or else I may bake a chicken. I'm really great about healthy dinners, so I'm not stressed about it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Friday

Breakfast: small blueberry smoothie, scrambled egg, 2 pieces faux veggie bacon, strawberries

Lunch: leftover chicken tortellini soup

Snacks: cucumbers, red peppers, flax crackers with hummus, small bowl Kashi peanut butter cereal, mixed unsalted nuts

Dinner: baked salmon, mushy peas, green salad, a few baked French fries

DH is doing a fantastic job feeding me;  I haven’t cooked since my surgery. I typically do the vast majority of food prep and cooking so it’s a weird position for me to be in, but he’s taking great care. 🙂 

• Like 6

Friday - 

Breakfast - Mixed microgreens. Muesli/bean bowl with mango, pineapple, banana, apple, blueberries, black walnuts, pecans, flax, chia, cinnamon, ginger, walnut milk.

Lunch - Leftover samosa rolls. Salad with lettuce, mixed microgreens, red cabbage, beets, mini peppers, snap peas, cauliflower, hemp seeds, pecan balsamic dressing. Kumquats.

Dinner - Taco night. Blue corn tortillas, brown rice with lentils and black beans, crispy tofu, chipotle mushrooms, guacamole, cashew queso, scallions, salsa. Also pico de gallo with fresh corn, tomatoes, jalapeños, garlic, cilantro, lime juice.

• Like 6

Friday- cheat day 

bone broth 

lunch- scrambled eggs with mushrooms, onions and mixed greens. Goat cheese. Flaxseed muffin. 

snack-  apple with goat cheese 

dinner-  bacon cheeseburger with no bun. Fruit on the side:  honeydew melon, pineapple, cantaloupe. 

One scoop peanut butter fudge ice cream in a gf cone. 

hard boiled eggs. 

• Like 7

Had a couple of good days, woot!

Today I need to prep some food. I'm out of breakfast and lunch foods. I've got plenty of leftovers for lunch this weekend but need to get some breakfast food made. I'm thinking I'll do a high protein oat/cottage cheese pancake.

• Like 6

Howdie!  I don't know how we got more than 1/3 through March already ... it seems we just waved goodbye to February.

I have been pretty good about eating fruit & veggie every day, and taking my vitamins.

Wish I could say more.  My diet of Other People's Leftovers is not easy to control.  But yesterday, we had a household discussion, and I'm hoping things will improve.  Of course I also need to be stronger.  I need to emotionally convince myself that at some point, throwing food away is better than eating it.  (It physically hurts to type that ... especially with so many people suffering right now.)

• Like 8

I made my breakfast last night (buckwheat/cinnamon/pecans/raisins) and brought leftovers (beans, corn, tomato, sweet potato, a little guacamole) to my training instead of eating their doughnuts and pizza. I'm glad I thought ahead.

It's cold and I might have a cup of tea (which I have with only 1 tsp. of sugar vs. a Tbsp. with coffee, but I don't have oat milk because I'm not drinking coffee, so would use cows' milk).

• Like 6

Breakfast--GF granola (fabulous low-sugar brand: Michele's) + almond milk + orange juice

Lunch--rice with Italian meat sauce, small portion of leftover pork chop, pear

Snack--2 squares dark choc, some sunflower seeds, tea (S)

Plan for dinner--Letting the boys decided today. Either take-out BBQ or make at home steaks with potatoes, veg, salad. 

• Like 5

I picked up a new nutrition book from the library - Eat More, Live Well - which is a gut health plan. Following her recipes and adding a salad I had 15 different plants for supper. Not all were full servings, but they will be by the time I eat the leftovers - garlic/cumin/paprika/harissa (counts as one all together), aubergine, sesame seeds, mushrooms, cabbage,  carrot, leeks, Brazil nuts, spring onions, radishes, tomatoes, red pepper, various lettuce, cucumber, avocado. Adding the rest of the day came to a total of 22 different plants for the day. Not bad if I'm aiming for 30 for the week.

Breakfast- homemade yoghurt and apple with low-sugar granola 

Lunch - cauliflower and broad beans with veggie sausages and kefir.

Snack - cheesy oatcakes, cheddar, mandarin, quark, apple,  granola. 

Supper - grilled aubergine dip. Mushroom veggie nut tofu dip. Carrot and cucumber sticks. Avocado.  Salad.

• Like 6

Saturday

Breakfast: I woke up at 4 so I was extra hungry. Large blueberry smoothie, egg, faux bacon, strawberries

Lunch: Quinoa, kale and red lentil soup with flax crackers

Snacks: mixed nuts, cucumber, red peppers, brownies! 🙂 

Dinner: Chicken and veggie stir fry over rice

• Like 5

Saturday - 

Breakfast - Cabbage microgreens. Muesli/bean bowl with mango, apple, blueberries, banana, black walnuts, macadamias, flax, chia, cinnamon, ginger, walnut milk.

Lunch - Salad with lettuce, mixed greens, red cabbage, beets, snap peas, mini peppers, cauliflower, hemp seeds, wfpb 1000 island. Leftover samosa filling (potatoes, sweet potatoes, chickpeas, red onions, jalapeños, peas, ginger, garlic, spices). Strawberries.

Dinner - Leftover tacos - corn tortillas, brown rice with lentils and black beans, crispy tofu, chipotle mushrooms, guacamole, cashew queso, scallions, salsa. Also pico de gallo with fresh corn, tomatoes, jalapeños, garlic, cilantro, lime juice.

• Like 5

Just checking in weekly. I'm having no trouble being off sweets. It's interesting how just that lowers my appetite. But I still stress eat after school. This week I had to get home early to relieve dh as we didn't have our usual caregiver for dd (had subs for most of the week). And I was getting up early and exercising early to have time to get dd up and ready. Just put me off my usual schedule. But I think my weight is down since the beginning of the month--Monday is official weigh-in day for me.

Another busy week and I'll be messed up with the time change. Then spring break and my college kids will be home. We're for sure going to be eating out a few times--dh and I haven't really been eating out or even getting takeout much during Omicron. So I'll just do the best I can and see how it goes.

• Like 7

I’ve been not eating on my plan but not terrible either. I hope this doesn’t wipe out all my efforts on my elimination diet. I had somewhat of a medical emergency Friday night. I have been very tired today as a result. ER didn’t release me until after 2am. So grateful it wasn’t immediately life threatening. It was an abnormal heart rhythm. When I get my energy back after this ordeal, I’ll get back on track. I’ve just eaten what dh will bring me lol. For lunch it was a small slice of pizza. For dinner it was Chinese take out. At least there were lots of veggies.

I have so, so much to be grateful for. These kind of events are always both humbling and empowering at the same time. Enjoy the day. I know I will. 🙂 God bless.

Edited by popmom
  • Like 3
  • Sad 5

53 minutes ago, popmom said:

I’ve been not eating on my plan but not terrible either. I hope this doesn’t wipe out all my efforts on my elimination diet. I had somewhat of a medical emergency Friday night. I have been very tired today as a result. ER didn’t release me until after 2am. So grateful it wasn’t immediately life threatening. It was an abnormal heart rhythm. When I get my energy back after this ordeal, I’ll get back on track. I’ve just eaten what dh will bring me lol. For lunch it was a small slice of pizza. For dinner it was Chinese take out. At least there were lots of veggies.

I have so, so much to be grateful for. These kind of events are always both humbling and empowering at the same time. Enjoy the day. I know I will. 🙂 God bless.

@popmom I hope you’re okay! Sounds like quite the scare. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, popmom said:

So sorry that happened to you! That must have been frightening.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, popmom said:

I have so, so much to be grateful for. These kind of events are always both humbling and empowering at the same time. Enjoy the day. I know I will. 🙂 God bless.bout 

I'm glad you are getting some answers about your heart. My biggest task when I got my diagnosis was persuading Husband and then reminding him periodically that it's something to manage rather than to fear.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Sunday 

Breakfast- homemade yoghurt with mandarin and a scatter of granola

Lunch - beetroot soup with lentils, cauliflower and partridge sausages

Snack - quark with apple. Cheesy oatcakes

Supper - beetroot (again!) patties with quinoa, cheddar and toasted nuts. Red cabbage and apple with balsamic vinegar. Quick salad of cucumber,  tomato, radish and spring onion. Prunes. Chocologic. 

• Like 5

Sunday-

bone broth. 

cheated and had a small bag of potato chips at church. 

lunch- 1/2  salad (romaine, bell peppers, cheese, steak, honey mustard dressing ). Two baked potato skins. 

snack-  chocolate squares , one gf matzo cracker  peanut butter  (which I thought would send my blood sugars sky high but paradoxically they stayed nice and low)  

dinner-  1/2  salad (romaine, bell peppers, cheese, steak, honey mustard dressing ). Two baked potato skins. 

hard boiled eggs 

• Like 5

On 3/12/2022 at 4:15 PM, Laura Corin said:

I picked up a new nutrition book from the library - Eat More, Live Well - which is a gut health plan. Following her recipes and adding a salad I had 15 different plants for supper. Not all were full servings, but they will be by the time I eat the leftovers - garlic/cumin/paprika/harissa (counts as one all together), aubergine, sesame seeds, mushrooms, cabbage,  carrot, leeks, Brazil nuts, spring onions, radishes, tomatoes, red pepper, various lettuce, cucumber, avocado. Adding the rest of the day came to a total of 22 different plants for the day. Not bad if I'm aiming for 30 for the week.

Breakfast- homemade yoghurt and apple with low-sugar granola 

Lunch - cauliflower and broad beans with veggie sausages and kefir.

Snack - cheesy oatcakes, cheddar, mandarin, quark, apple,  granola. 

Supper - grilled aubergine dip. Mushroom veggie nut tofu dip. Carrot and cucumber sticks. Avocado.  Salad.

Thanks for the book rec. I found one of her older books at the library to request and am looking at her recipes on her site.

• Like 2

Sunday - 

Breakfast - Cabbage microgreens. Muesli/bean bowl with strawberries, mango, apple, blueberries, pistachios, hazelnuts, chia, flax, pumpkin seeds, cinnamon, ginger, walnut milk.

Lunch - Salad with lettuce, mixed greens, red cabbage, beets, cauliflower, mini peppers, artichoke hearts, olives, hemp seeds, wfpb 1000 island. Kumquats and strawberries.

Dinner - We had a couple ripe pineapples, so I made fried (oil-free) cauliflower rice with sriracha tempeh, lots of stir fry veggies, and pineapple. There are enough leftovers for at least one night and maybe two, woo hoo.

Dessert - Oranges and dates.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

I did it. I cannot believe it. I reached my weight goal, just under 62 kg. I lost 10 kg.

Thank you everyone for your inspiration. I don’t post on here every day, but just knowing that others were trying to eat healthy too was enough encouragement to keep going

Congratulations! Have you found yourself gaining energy or feeling different in other ways?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

Congratulations! Have you found yourself gaining energy or feeling different in other ways?

for the first 6 weeks I really felt very low on energy and had a bad headache, but now I feel absolutely fabulous. I think it might take me a little bit to work out how many kilojoules I need to eat to keep at  this weight. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

for the first 6 weeks I really felt very low on energy and had a bad headache, but now I feel absolutely fabulous. I think it might take me a little bit to work out how many kilojoules I need to eat to keep at  this weight. 

Glad to hear you are feeling good.

For maintenance I always try to remember that you can give yourself a little kilojoule discount by eating the least processed version of whatever you want to eat - not only will you feel full for longer but your body will actually use more energy to digest it. It's one of those fascinating  'not all calories/kilojoules are equal' findings.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Laura Corin said:

Glad to hear you are feeling good.

For maintenance I always try to remember that you can give yourself a little kilojoule discount by eating the least processed version of whatever you want to eat - not only will you feel full for longer but your body will actually use more energy to digest it. It's one of those fascinating  'not all calories/kilojoules are equal' findings.

thanks for the tip. will keep it in mind

I don't really eat much processed food really. 

• Like 2

Monday 

Lunch - mushroom-tofu-nut dip with carrots. Broccoli with kefir. Yoghurt with pear and raspberries. 

Snack - quark and apple. Mandarin. Cheddar.  Granola. 

Supper - baby back ribs. Leftover red cabbage with apple and balsamic vinegar.  Green salad. Green beans. Prunes. Chocologic. 

• Like 3

Monday - 

Breakfast - Mixed microgreens. Muesli/bean bowl with mango, pineapple, strawberries, blueberries, apple, walnuts, pistachios, flax, chia, pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Two bbq tofu wraps with pickles, onion, shredded red cabbage, and greens. Lemon poppyseed WellBean bar.

Dinner - The same pineapple/veggie/cauliflower rice as last night.

Dessert - Oranges and figs.

• Like 5

Feeling so much better today. And for the first time since my ER visit, my heart rate stayed below 100 all day. 🙂 

Lunch was a huge portion of steamed brocolli and sauteed sliced chicken breast.

Dinner will be a hamburger patty, potato, cabbage--hopefully enough room in the calorie budget to have some avocado, too.

• Like 4

Some ups and downs today. 

Breakfast-- Up early for a small bowl of low-sugar granola with almond milk. 

Lunch--BBQ meat (leftover pork and tri-tip), baked beans, small handful of sunflower seeds, some grapes, one mini-pickle (This was all kinda spread out--I was ravenous mid-morning because I'd gotten up so early, and then I needed just a little more mid-afternoon.)

Snack--Decided to indulge in a gf brownie since I'm on vacation (though it's technically a working vacation). Ate a little too much brownie--had 2 portions only to learn that the second square didn't even taste good. Too much sugar. So I'm not happy about eating it, but I am encouraged that the radical decrease in sugar I've been implementing is having an effect. 

Dinner: My goodness. This was healthy (because meat portion small and bc plenty of veg), but also heavy. Steak with mushrooms, roast red potatoes, green beans, salad. I have been cutting back on beef, and between the tri-tip bits earlier and the small steak tonight, I think I've lost my taste for beef for a while.

• Like 4