Menu

Package dilemma

Terabith

On Friday, we got a package from Walmart.  I was like, "Huh.  I didn't order anything from Walmart."  But I figured it was from our former housemate, who moved out a number of years ago but still uses our address because it's more secure than his apartment.  However, then I noticed that it was a completely different name of someone who has never lived here.  But it was very definitely our address.  

Okay, awkward, but my husband went on facebook and linked in and found the person.  Unfortunately, they moved to Tennessee.  So we took the package to the post office and paid $9 to mail it to them in Tennessee.  

Only to arrive home to two more giant boxes for this same person at our address.  

Apparently they had a baby shower/ baby registry, but listed our address.  

We haven't really spoken to this person.  I'm not really sure how to do this.  I am not super willing to mail many, many, many large packages (we got a car seat and a high chair today) all the way to Tennessee.  That would be incredibly expensive.  Is there a way to tell the post office that it's the wrong address and have it re-delivered?  

I assume even if that is possible, we have to drive all of these heavy packages to a post office branch.  They certainly aren't going to pick them up from my porch where they deposited them to begin with, are they?  

Any ideas?

How far away is Tennessee? Can you offer to keep these things for them and let them figure out how to get the packages? Maybe they have a relative in the area who is driving to them and can pick them up and transport (I am in Texas but have friends in Tenneessee who come back here multiple times a year)

Edited by vonfirmath

So this is the person you knew or did not know?  

There is NO way I would be jumping through additional hoops to send them stuff.  If this was somoene you could contact, I'd say they can live on your porch for a couple weeks.  I'm impressed you tracked down an address to mail one thing?  Have you been in contact otherwise?  It's pretty rude to use your mailing address without permission so I wouldn't have much patience.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, catz said:

So this is the person you knew or did not know?  

There is NO way I would be jumping through additional hoops to send them stuff.  If this was somoene you could contact, I'd say they can live on your porch for a couple weeks.  I'm impressed you tracked down an address to mail one thing?  Have you been in contact otherwise?  It's pretty rude to use your mailing address without permission so I wouldn't have much patience.

Have never met this person.  We did track down the person on social media and now have their correct address.  They haven't really entered into dialogue with us.  

I'm sure it was a mistake?  I'm not sure how you would mistakingly enter an address in Virginia when you live in Tennessee, but I can't imagine anyone doing it on purpose.  

9 minutes ago, vonfirmath said:

How far away is Tennessee? Can you offer to keep these things for them and let them figure out how to get the packages? Maybe they have a relative in the area who is driving to them and can pick them up and transport (I am in Texas but have friends in Tenneessee who come back here multiple times a year)

I'm not sure where in TN they live.  I mean, we go there twice a year, but it could be anywhere from four hours away to 12 hours away, depending on location.  

Just now, Katy said:

Just take them back to the post office and tell them you don’t know this person 

Even taking them back to the post office is going to be a major pain in the butt.  We don't have a van or an SUV, and to pile up multiple large packages into our car and drive them over daily is going to take a lot of time and be physically unwieldy.  I can easily see this happening daily for weeks, if it's a baby registry.  I wish there was a way I could put a sign on my porch refusing acceptance, but they don't need signatures.  

Several months after we bought this house we had a delivery from JC Penney for the previous occupant. Apparently he'd ordered something and forgotten to update his address in his account, or at least that was my guess. The mall isn't all that far from us, and in an area I'm in frequently, so I took the package back to the store--it was easy to handle, like maybe a few towels or something similar--and explained what I thought had happened and left it with them. I have no idea what happened after that, but I felt like I'd done my best. But I don't know that that helps you with multiple packages, 'cause I'm sure not suggesting you run all over the place taking stuff back to multiple brick-and-mortar stores (some of which I'm sure may not even be in your area).

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Acorn said:

I can maybe see an old address on one account but that’s crazy to have different retailers. I would be checking my credit cards carefully in case of identity theft, maybe the thrives planned to take from your porch?

I mean, we've lived here for 14 years.  That would be a REALLY old address.  

ETA:  And we bought the house from the estate of an old woman who passed away.  She had one son, no daughters.  She was the original owner since the house was built.  

Edited by Terabith

Just now, Acorn said:

I can maybe see an old address on one account but that’s crazy to have different retailers. I would be checking my credit cards carefully in case of identity theft, maybe the thrives planned to take from your porch?

This is what I would suspect.  Some sort of fraud thing going on using someone else's identity.   I wouldn't assume the name on the package is involved even.

• Like 5

Just now, catz said:

This is what I would suspect.  Some sort of fraud thing going on using someone else's identity.   I wouldn't assume the name on the package is involved even.

I hope she actually speaks to us on social media.  I think our approach is going to be different if she says, "I'm not even pregnant" versus "Oh my gosh; I'm so sorry, I hit the wrong state in the address bar and I fixed it but x number of packages had already been sent."  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Starr said:

I would go to the post office and say I have many boxes delivered to my house to a person who doesn't live here and ask them to pick them up.

I'd call the post office and say this. You can't track down every package and get it returned. That has to be on the person who gave an incorrect address. I'm sorry - that's so annoying!! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Terabith said:

I hope she actually speaks to us on social media.  I think our approach is going to be different if she says, "I'm not even pregnant" versus "Oh my gosh; I'm so sorry, I hit the wrong state in the address bar and I fixed it but x number of packages had already been sent."  

How do you know you have the right person? You’ve got the mad tracking skillz!

You're in a different state than the intended recipient.  I assume your addresses are not alike otherwise.  I'd wonder if it was a scam.

Yes - people will do that - put in the wrong address when using stolen credit cards (you don't know if those were 'gifts' ordered by other people or not.).  Then they go pick them up when they receive a delivery notification.

I'd take them to the post office - cross out your address, and in big sharpie letters write wrong address, return to sender.  you do not want the liability for putting a forwarding address on the boxes if it turns out that other address isn't correct either.    Unless you have had actual contact with the person confirming that is their address -you don't know.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, Spryte said:

How do you know you have the right person?  

This.

People can have the same name as someone else.  There is another woman in my area with the same name - we even had the same gyn practice.  I found out because they pulled her file instead of mine.
My son's friend  - a baby was born at the same hospital on the same day with the exact same (middle included) name.

3 hours ago, catz said:

It's pretty rude to use your mailing address without permission so I wouldn't have much patience.

Wow - that's quite an assumption. Perhaps a kinder assumption would be there was a simple mistake made somewhere. Not so very long ago, we received a package with the name of a neighbor, but our address. Actually it was to Joe Smith c/o Our Neighbor. The neighbors had only moved in recently, and I only knew his name because another neighbor had mentioned meeting them. When I took the package over, the couple apologized heartily. They had given their new address to a friend who was on a long trip between houses himself. Somehow, he misheard/misread/mistyped/misentered the address, and voila, we got some packages. It was easy enough to get them to the right place. It doesn't sound like it will be that easy for the OP, though.

OP, I'd mark them "return to sender" or whatever for the post office and be done with it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, barnwife said:

Wow - that's quite an assumption.]

I was confused by the first post and thought this was someone they knew using their address.  Given further info, I actually would be surprised if the name on the package is the person responsible at all.  It would be extremely unsual for someone to incorrectly address many packages coming from many places.   If they were all coming from Walmart or some other single business, I would assume it was something on the businesses end. ETA - I know there is possibly a registry involved but someone could set up a fake registry too.  Very suspicious.

Edited by catz
  • Like 4

Just now, catz said:

I was confused by the first post and thought this was someone they knew using their address.  Given further info, I actually would be surprised if the name on the package is the person responsible at all.  It would be extremely unsual for someone to incorrectly address many packages coming from many places.   If they were all coming from Walmart or some other single business, I would assume it was something on the businesses end.

ITA that something is off in this situation. As some other posters said, I'd keep an eye on my credit report after marking the packages "return to sender" or whatever. 

The person has not answered you at all yet? Did you find the registry? And are they coming form different shipping services - UPS, USPS, etc? I would first try to get this corrected with the registry. If possible, refuse delivery and write return to sender. I think I'd put up a note for now, too. Wait a couple of weeks and then do one big drop off at the P.O. or UPS or wherever. 

19 minutes ago, barnwife said:

Wow - that's quite an assumption. Perhaps a kinder assumption would be there was a simple mistake made somewhere. Not so very long ago, we received a package with the name of a neighbor, but our address. Actually it was to Joe Smith c/o Our Neighbor. The neighbors had only moved in recently, and I only knew his name because another neighbor had mentioned meeting them. When I took the package over, the couple apologized heartily. They had given their new address to a friend who was on a long trip between houses himself. Somehow, he misheard/misread/mistyped/misentered the address, and voila, we got some packages. It was easy enough to get them to the right place. It doesn't sound like it will be that easy for the OP, though.

OP, I'd mark them "return to sender" or whatever for the post office and be done with it.

One package is a mistake. (or multiple packages from THE SAME retailer that were ordered at the same time).  Multiple packages from multiple retailers is not.

scam artists using stolen cards do this type of stuff all the time.  They put in a fake name, fake address - then go pick it up when it's delivered.

• Like 3

It's possible the people you forwarded the first package to are trying to figure out if you're trying to scam them (and how the scam works.)

Were I in their place, I would be very hesitant to send a return message from someone I don't know, especially if they're telling me they have my address and are forwarding a package I didn't order. I would wonder how they found my address. Honestly, I probably would ignore the message.

Did you suggest they check their credit cards for fraud?

Edited by Tree Frog
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

One package is a mistake. (or multiple packages from THE SAME retailer that were ordered at the same time).  Multiple packages from multiple retailers is not.

scam artists using stolen cards do this type of stuff all the time.  They put in a fake name, fake address - then go pick it up when it's delivered.

I don't disagree about scam artists. I do disagree with the first part. If the entered an address incorrectly the first time, and then it autofilled on other sites, it's totally possible. 

Bizarre. I would get uninvolved with the person on social media and let the post office figure it out.

You do Not have to go to the post office  to return the packages. When one shows up, mark it “wrong address” .
Go on the usps website, set up an account…and order a pick up. Post office will pick up the packages at your door.

• Like 4

I think it doesn't matter whether it's a scam or not or what exactly happen. I would call either the carrier or retailer (whichever may be easier for you) and tell them no one by that name lives here or "return to sender". Then leave it at that. 

Someone had tried to look up a person before online and got my husband. My husband was not the person they were looking for at all but had the same name as the person they were seeking. So, you really can not be totally sure the person you looked up is indeed the person whose stuff this is. 

10 minutes ago, Clarita said:

Someone had tried to look up a person before online and got my husband. My husband was not the person they were looking for at all but had the same name as the person they were seeking. So, you really can not be totally sure the person you looked up is indeed the person whose stuff this is. 

In addition to this, there are a lot of people who don't even use their real name on Facebook.  So it's entirely possible that the person you found on Facebook that you think is the owner of these packages might not even be named that. 

So, I was wrong.  I misread the packages.  So far they have all come from Walmart, so I think the plan is that we're going to return them to Walmart.  However, the high chair does not fit in our car, so it may be a day or two until we borrow my in law's larger car to transport it.  

My husband found her on linked in.  She used to live in our town, but has subsequently moved.  She replied to his first message, when we thought it was just one stray package, with her address (a P.O box), but understandably she's not checking linked in messages obsessively, given that presumably she's pregnant and also an optometrist.  

1 hour ago, kristin0713 said:

The person has not answered you at all yet? Did you find the registry? And are they coming form different shipping services - UPS, USPS, etc? I would first try to get this corrected with the registry. If possible, refuse delivery and write return to sender. I think I'd put up a note for now, too. Wait a couple of weeks and then do one big drop off at the P.O. or UPS or wherever. 

I would refuse delivery if they knocked on the door.  They're just abandoning them on the porch.  No signature or anything.  

My husband did have a brief conversation via linked in, when she gave the new address, that's a post office box in TN.  

We made a weird mistake changing addresses with Amazon after moving to our current house. I updated my billing and shipping address, but I also have my kids' wish lists under my account. Somehow Amazon didn't update THOSE, which we didn't realize for like three years because usually family members will opt for things to be addressed to me rather than to the child. Well, at some point BIL and his wife did select the child's name, and then later they got notified that the gift had been sent back to Amazon due to a wrong address. So we looked into it and figured out what had happened.

Anyway, I wonder if they have something similar - regular shipping address with Walmart was updated, but somehow the registry got affiliated with the old one instead. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 1