Menu

Winter Olympics 2022

mommyoffive

7 hours ago, frogger said:

Googling human rights and child abuse with the word Olympics can make one sick. I have to say my bias in wanting to cheer on locals in a sport which is more natural and in a community in which states aren't involved and a lot of parents are actually supporting athletes who just want to dream big and do the best they can but honestly, I may be taking a turn towards "Just get rid of the Olympics" eeks, disgusting. 

The abuse and the doping would continue even if the Olympics were eliminated, because they do the same things for national and world championships. Valieva's positive test was actually at the Russian national championship, not at the Olympics.

8 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

The abuse and the doping would continue even if the Olympics were eliminated, because they do the same things for national and world championships. Valieva's positive test was actually at the Russian national championship, not at the Olympics.

That is true. Evil people will always be around sadly. 

IMO the sketchiest thing about the Valieva doping issue is the strange delay between the positive test and notification of authorities. The sample was collected after the Russian championship in December, but RUSADA (Russian anti-doping agency) didn't notify the International Testing Agency until February 8th — after the team competition was over and the Russians won gold. RUSADA claims that they themselves were not notified by the testing lab until the 8th, and they temporarily suspended Valieva, then quickly lifted the suspension so she could compete in the individual competition. The IOC wants the suspension reinstated immediately. (I don't understand why the decision as to whether a Russian athlete caught doping should be allowed to compete gets to be made by... the Russians??)

Anyway, the ROC is arguing that since she hasn't specifically tested positive at the Olympics, the fact that she was caught doping at the Russian championship is irrelevant and she should be allowed to compete. But I thought the only way athletes are even allowed to compete as "ROC" is by swearing that they are personally 100% clean and therefore should not be penalized by the sanctions against Russia for their state-run doping program. In that case, any positive test would make them ineligible. And presumably the Russian national championship was part of the selection process for the Olympics, so even if she hasn't tested positive during the Olympics, she was apparently doping during the selection process.

• Like 5

16 hours ago, Corraleno said:

IMO the sketchiest thing about the Valieva doping issue is the strange delay between the positive test and notification of authorities. The sample was collected after the Russian championship in December, but RUSADA (Russian anti-doping agency) didn't notify the International Testing Agency until February 8th — after the team competition was over and the Russians won gold. RUSADA claims that they themselves were not notified by the testing lab until the 8th, and they temporarily suspended Valieva, then quickly lifted the suspension so she could compete in the individual competition. The IOC wants the suspension reinstated immediately. (I don't understand why the decision as to whether a Russian athlete caught doping should be allowed to compete gets to be made by... the Russians??)

Anyway, the ROC is arguing that since she hasn't specifically tested positive at the Olympics, the fact that she was caught doping at the Russian championship is irrelevant and she should be allowed to compete. But I thought the only way athletes are even allowed to compete as "ROC" is by swearing that they are personally 100% clean and therefore should not be penalized by the sanctions against Russia for their state-run doping program. In that case, any positive test would make them ineligible. And presumably the Russian national championship was part of the selection process for the Olympics, so even if she hasn't tested positive during the Olympics, she was apparently doping during the selection process.

This!  Why does the ROC get more say than the IOC?  This makes me sad for Sha'Carri Richardson - she took some weed -the opposite of a performance enhancing substance.  This is just so corrupt!

14 hours ago, iamonlyone said:

Yay, mixed team snowboard cross!! I'm so happy that Baurmgartner medaled in his fourth Olympics! And, hooray, for amazing older athletes: 40 and 36 years—the oldest team competing in the event!

That was so exciting and inspiring to watch!  It was cool to see the sportsmanship among all the competitors.  But, I have to say, he reminds me an awful lot of Will Ferrell. 

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, dirty ethel rackham said:

That was so exciting and inspiring to watch!  It was cool to see the sportsmanship among all the competitors.  But, I have to say, he reminds me an awful lot of Will Ferrell. 

OK, I can see that! 😆

Edited by iamonlyone

Interesting comment about the doping issue, from an MD who is also an athlete: "Positive tests occur when your existing micro-dosing strategy fails because you tried to push the dosing envelope too far and too close to competition. There are many more active PED-using athletes right now at these olympics. When you are positive, you are WAY over the limit because your current masking strategy was not enough to hold you under detectable thresholds. The testing sensitivity is years behind the masking strategies to evade detection."

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

Interesting comment about the doping issue, from an MD who is also an athlete: "Positive tests occur when your existing micro-dosing strategy fails because you tried to push the dosing envelope too far and too close to competition. There are many more active PED-using athletes right now at these olympics. When you are positive, you are WAY over the limit because your current masking strategy was not enough to hold you under detectable thresholds. The testing sensitivity is years behind the masking strategies to evade detection."

Wow!  I knew that detecting doping is always playing catch-up.  But I didn't realize how bad it is.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dirty ethel rackham said:

This!  Why does the ROC get more say than the IOC?  This makes me sad for Sha'Carri Richardson - she took some weed -the opposite of a performance enhancing substance.  This is just so corrupt!

Cause they're Russia, and who is going to stand up against Russia? 

Isn't this the event where the Canadian woman was landed on by an Italian skier? Pretty crazy event. I'm impressed that the Canadian was able to get up and finish the event to receive the bronze medal. I hope the other woman was ok. I didn't see her after the fall.

I saw a news story about this French snowboarder.  She apparently is injured and couldn't do her usual tricks in the air, so she dressed up in a tiger costume in honor of the Year of the Tiger. :)  What an awesome attitude!

ETA: https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/injured-olympian-big-air-big-cat-costume-kicks-82872909

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYzoFfM8yuU

Edited by Junie
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, importswim said:

I can't read the article (it just links to a list of other articles) but it's such a farce. I normally love the Olympics but this is the final straw for me, I think.

U.S. track and field star Sha’Carri Richardson questioned why a Russian figure skater was allowed to compete after a failed drug test and she had to sit out after her own drug test for marijuana came back positive. 

Richardson responded to a USA TODAY article by Christine Brennan, in which she said that the Court of Arbitration for Sport's decision to allow Kamila Valieva, who tested positive for the heart drug trimetazidine, to compete in the women's figure skating competition at the 2022 Beijing Games "is just a slap in the face to all of those athletes doing it the right way,

The Russian Olympic Committee won gold in the team event last week, and the International Olympic Committee said there would be no medal ceremony.

From NFL plays to college sports scores, all the top sports news you need to know every day.

The court said Valieva, who is 15 years old, is a “protected person” and therefore has different rules than adult athletes. 

Can we get a solid answer on the difference of her situation and mines? My mother died and I can’t run and was also favored to place top 3. The only difference I see is I’m a black young lady. https://t.co/JtUfmp3F8L

— Sha’Carri Richardson (@itskerrii) February 14, 2022

"Can we get a solid answer on the difference of her situation and mines? My mother died and I can’t run and was also favored to place top 3," Richardson wrote on social media. "The only difference I see is I’m a black young lady."

Richardson was suspended for 30 days in July after testing positive for marijuana, a month after she won the 100-meter race at the U.S. track and field trials.

Richardson said she used marijuana to cope with her mother's death, news she found out while at the Olympic trials. The 30-day suspension prevented her from competing in the 100 meters at the Olympic in Tokyo, where she was expected to vie for the gold medal. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

"Can we get a solid answer on the difference of her situation and mines? My mother died and I can’t run and was also favored to place top 3," Richardson wrote on social media. "The only difference I see is I’m a black young lady."

How old was Richardson? I think they're reasoning is that Kamila is underage. I don't understand why she brings up the death of her mother here.

I think the real reason is because Kamila is Russian.

I watched Kamila's short program and Bolero program again. The number of jumps she did in Bolero was amazing and certainly makes me think the drugs could have given her an advantage. She did test negative at the Olympics though. Someone told me using those drugs changes how your muscles work so gives an advantage even when no longer on them. No idea if that's true. I'm just sad because she's a lovely skater.

In our Olympic unit study, this brought in additional topics of drug use and cheating. When my ds sees her on TV, he says, "There's the cheater," which again makes me sad because this 15 yr old girls reputation has been ruined 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Spirea said:

How old was Richardson? I think they're reasoning is that Kamila is underage. I don't understand why she brings up the death of her mother here.

I watched Kamila's short program and Bolero program again. The number of jumps she did in Bolero was amazing and certainly makes me think the drugs could have given her an advantage. She did test negative at the Olympics though. Someone told me using those drugs changes how your muscles work so gives an advantage even when no longer on them. No idea if that's true. I'm just sad because she's a lovely skater.

In our Olympic unit study, this brought in additional topics of drug use and cheating. When my ds sees her on TV, he says, "There's the cheater," which again makes me sad because this 15 yr old girls reputation has been ruined 

I believe the med she was taking would increase her stamina and allow her to practice longer and harder. Microdosing allows the meds to work and then exit the system before testing. Likely, other athletes from the same coach/rink/doctor are doped as well, but the testing didn’t catch it. She’s 15, so doubtful she sought this out on her own.  But underage doping is also not okay, so I’m not sure why that is getting a pass with the CAS. 

Edited by staceyobu
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

I am completely sickened by the CAS's decision. This is really horrible for sport overall. What kind of precident is this going to set for all athletes? I can't watch any event without believing that every single Russian athlete is cheating. Russia doesn't care, and has never been made to care. 

I've stopped watching these Olympic Games, cancelled my streaming account, and I'm done.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Spirea said:

I do think the reason is political but Kamila is technically a minor.

Sha’Carri Richardson would have been 20 when suspended.

From wiki

”Sha'Carri Richardson ; Personal information ; Nationality, American ; Born, (2000-03-25) March 25, 2000 (age 21) Dallas, Texas, U.S”

Nathan Chen’s coach not charging https://www.nbcolympics.com/news/nathan-chen-coach-rafael-arutunian-relationship-olympics-gold
“His coach, Rafael Arutunian, recalled Chen and his mother, Hetty Wang, driving every few months from Salt Lake City to southern California for lessons with him at the start of their working relationship 11 years ago. They were lessons the family could not really afford, so Arutunian would take the money Chen’s mother paid him and give it back to her son.

“One day he said to his mom, ‘If we don’t move, I will not make it,’” Arutunian said. “This was an 11-year-old boy saying that.”

Chen made it happen with that kind of will, a will that drove him to push himself and his sport past seemingly established limits, a will that allowed him to become the seventh U.S. man to win a Olympic singles figure skating gold medal.

“My mom and I grew up quite poor, and Raf obviously knew about the situation,” Chen said. “He would say, `I don’t really want that money. I want you to achieve the goal you want.’”

So he moved with his mother to be close to the coach. And he repaid Arutunian with the medal the coach had dreamed of from the time he began coaching 46 years ago.”

• Like 6

6 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

The court said Valieva, who is 15 years old, is a “protected person” and therefore has different rules than adult athletes. 

So now the Russians and Chinese have even more incentive to pressure children into pushing themselves beyond all healthy physical boundaries, since they can drug children has much as they want with no consequences. This decision is absolutely sickening.

• Like 8
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

I do think the reason is political but Kamila is technically a minor.

Sha’Carri Richardson would have been 20 when suspended.

From wiki

”Sha'Carri Richardson ; Personal information ; Nationality, American ; Born, (2000-03-25) March 25, 2000 (age 21) Dallas, Texas, U.S”

At the 2000 Olympics, Andreea Raducan had her gold medal taken away because she tested positive for doping. She had been given cold medicine (Sudafed) by her coaches for a cold. She was a minor. Her team appealed and the appeals panel decided she received no competitive advantage from the medicine - but was still not given back her gold. I remember watching the Olympics that year and being so upset on her behalf. She wasn't Russian though. 🙄

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

47 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

So now the Russians and Chinese have even more incentive to pressure children into pushing themselves beyond all healthy physical boundaries, since they can drug children has much as they want with no consequences. This decision is absolutely sickening.

Yep. All I see is a green light to dope the kids. 🙄

• Like 1

I really appreciated the commentary from Lipinski and Weir. They BOTH said they started being tested from their early teens and knew how much those tests meant. Their parents checked before giving them anything, even for colds, to prevent running afoul of the rules. 15 or no, she should be out, as should ALL of the Russian athletes. This is the sixth Olympics in a row they have tainted with their refusal to stop cheating/ban cheaters.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 11

9 minutes ago, Starr said:

Will we see her again after these olympics? If she quits competing then her coaches won't have to be in the middle of conflict.

They’ll continue to be sus because all of their athletes are one and done. It’s why RUS needs a full ban. Leaving it to the individual sports federations isn’t working. No athlete working at the Olympic level, 15 or not, is unaware of these requirements. And if they are, it’s a systemic national failure that needs a national ban. DDs childhood friend almost competed for Japan last year. Kids working at that level KNOW not to take banned substances. I’ve no doubt the Russians infantilize their female skaters (teddy bears, at 15?) but the rest of the world doesn’t need to play along.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 6

I naively believed right would prevail and she would not be allowed to compete.   It’s really unfair!

However, here is a different perspective from Kai Lightner, an athlete who has competed on the world stage since his early teens so he is familiar with doping rules.  He is also African-American and very involved in racial justice and equity issues.  

From Kai Lightner’s Instagram story:

“The ruling isn’t black and white because WADA kind of messed up.  From what I’ve read, the problem appears to be timing. 
It's not that they won't punish her or her coaches/federation, it's that WADA didn't do their job in a timely manner the way they were supposed to, so the different parties don't have enough time to build a case before she is scheduled to skate. So, it's better to let her skate and handle her case afterwards to properly investigate and decide fault rather than act and risk egg on their face if she ends up not being guilty.  Not sure they’ve even tested her B sample yet.  
And we have to keep in mind that this is a 15 yo girl under strict supervision in a demanding and grueling training regime. She is not at fault and does not deserve to be embarrassed at this level. If WADA had done their job sooner, as a protected person (under 16) her identity would have been concealed and she would have been able to quietly banned from competing in the Olympics and been able to handle this matter with more privacy.“

As for a totally irrelevant opinion, dh thinks it’s about preventing war in the Ukraine. 🤔

• Like 3

8 hours ago, dirty ethel rackham said:

I naively believed right would prevail and she would not be allowed to compete.   It’s really unfair!

However, here is a different perspective from Kai Lightner, an athlete who has competed on the world stage since his early teens so he is familiar with doping rules.  He is also African-American and very involved in racial justice and equity issues.  

From Kai Lightner’s Instagram story:

“The ruling isn’t black and white because WADA kind of messed up.  From what I’ve read, the problem appears to be timing. 
It's not that they won't punish her or her coaches/federation, it's that WADA didn't do their job in a timely manner the way they were supposed to, so the different parties don't have enough time to build a case before she is scheduled to skate. So, it's better to let her skate and handle her case afterwards to properly investigate and decide fault rather than act and risk egg on their face if she ends up not being guilty.  Not sure they’ve even tested her B sample yet.  
And we have to keep in mind that this is a 15 yo girl under strict supervision in a demanding and grueling training regime. She is not at fault and does not deserve to be embarrassed at this level. If WADA had done their job sooner, as a protected person (under 16) her identity would have been concealed and she would have been able to quietly banned from competing in the Olympics and been able to handle this matter with more privacy.“

As for a totally irrelevant opinion, dh thinks it’s about preventing war in the Ukraine. 🤔

Maybe, but Russia never did hand over urine/blood samples they were required to by WADA back in 2014. Russia got caught for swapping samples and for samples disappearing. Who knows whether Russia handed any of these samples over to anyone outside of Russia now. When Russia cheats, they go all the way. They are experts at this.

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, dirty ethel rackham said:

Honestly, that is what I think. No one wants to make the Ukraine situation worse.  Though it doesn't matter. Once the Olympics are over, the truce is over, and Russia will invade. So them holding back on that won't change it, but I definitely think that plays into everything. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Too bad Sha'Carri Richardson didn't just claim that she tested positive because she accidentally walked into a room where someone else had smoked weed and didn't realize that she had inhaled some of the residual smoke. That would have been totally believable and she'd have been allowed to compete, right? <eye roll>

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

Too bad Sha'Carri Richardson didn't just claim that she tested positive because she accidentally walked into a room where someone else had smoked weed and didn't realize that she had inhaled some of the residual smoke. That would have been totally believable and she'd have been allowed to compete, right? <eye roll>

Na, it doesn't always work. There was a Canadian snowboarder who tried that back in 1998. He lost his Olympic gold medal. https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sports/longterm/olympics1998/sport/snowboard/articles/board11.htm#:~:text=NAGANO%2C Feb.,ever awarded in Olympic snowboarding.

• Like 1

https://www.bbc.com/sport/winter-olympics/60408122
“Ukrainian cross-country skier Valentyna Kaminska has been provisionally suspended after failing a doping test at the Winter Olympics in Beijing.

The 34-year-old tested positive for an anabolic steroid and two other banned substances, the International Testing Agency (ITA) said.

Kaminska is the second athlete to test positive in Beijing after Alpine skier Hossein Saveh-Shemshaki.

The Iranian was provisionally suspended last week.”

• Thanks 1

On 2/14/2022 at 8:39 PM, Sneezyone said:

I really appreciated the commentary from Lipinski and Weir. They BOTH said they started being tested from their early teens and knew how much those tests meant. Their parents checked before giving them anything, even for colds, to prevent running afoul of the rules. 15 or no, she should be out, as should ALL of the Russian athletes. This is the sixth Olympics in a row they have tainted with their refusal to stop cheating/ban cheaters.

Yes, I listened to their commentary and totally agree. I didn't watch the short program on TV, but heard that Tara and Johnny were almost silent while she skated to protest. After Valieva was done skating, Tara said something about we never should have seen that skater. 

There will be no medal ceremony if she gets a medal, just as there is no medal ceremony for the team competition,  but it cheats the other medal winners from having a medal ceremony at the Olympics. 

As Tara said, "A positive test, is a positive test."  

It sounds suspect that the test was done the end of Dec and didn't come to light till Feb. 8 after the Olympics started. I wonder if someone was trying to sweep it under the rug.

• Like 4

DS17 told me Germany swept the bobsled competition 

https://apnews.com/article/winter-olympics-bobsledding-german-sweep-084815e1245cfd0e74a512213109fb84
“Germany — unquestionably the world’s sliding superpower — became the first nation to sweep the medals in an Olympic bobsled race on Tuesday, grabbing gold, silver and bronze in the two-man event at the Beijing Games.

Francesco Friedrich is now a three-time Olympic gold medalist, teaming with Thorsten Margis to prevail in 3 minutes, 56.89 seconds. Johannes Lochner and Florian Bauer were second in 3:57.38, and Christoph Hafer and Matthias Sommer held on to finish third in 3:58.58.

“All three Germans to win medals here, it’s so crazy,” Friedrich said.

Germany now has seven gold medals in sliding at the Beijing Games, more golds than any nation has ever grabbed from the bobsled, skeleton and luge events at any Olympics. The Germans also have 12 medals in sliding events so far in Beijing — technically, another record for any nation participating in sledding sports. East Germany and West Germany combined for 12 medals at the 1976 Innsbruck Games.”

• Like 3