Menu

Omicron anecdata?

Not_a_Number

Mil (72) felt poorly over this past weekend, got a positive test Monday, and was feeling like she is “over the worst of it” last night. She is vaccinated and boosted (J&J + Moderna booster.) She and Fil never restricted activities, and have been mask-free since they were vaccinated the first time, which is fine for them, but I have to wonder how many people their behavior might have infected. 😞

• Sad 8

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My mother’s (new) roommate was taken to the hospital at 3 am. My mom does not know for sure, but thinks it was Covid. I’m skeptical, as there was no coughing, but there had been a “cold” and yesterday it progressed quickly to chills and sweats, and feeling very ill. 

• Sad 13

19 minutes ago, Spryte said:

My mother’s (new) roommate was taken to the hospital at 3 am. My mom does not know for sure, but thinks it was Covid. I’m skeptical, as there was no coughing, but there had been a “cold” and yesterday it progressed quickly to chills and sweats, and feeling very ill. 

Coughing isn't automatic with Omicron.  Cold symptoms are the most common. https://joinzoe.com/learn/omicron-symptoms

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Spryte said:

Updating to say that I spoke with a nurse, and it’s not Covid. So that’s good. Hopefully roomie will be back soon.

• Like 15

Michigan today was 921 case average for the last two days. My stylist is going on vacation next week, so I made an appointment for the week following, end of the week. My hope is that it is 500 a day or less. The ends on my hair are so frizzy. I am looking forward to it, and if cases keep dropping, then I have a college senior recital to accompany in April - last second thing. I wasn't on the accompanist list due to covid and elder care issues,.but there was an emergency, and a shortage of pianists, and this student's repertoire is entirely inside my wheelhouse so I don't need much practice with student in order to nail it down.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

Michigan today was 921 case average for the last two days. My stylist is going on vacation next week, so I made an appointment for the week following, end of the week. My hope is that it is 500 a day or less. The ends on my hair are so frizzy. I am looking forward to it, and if cases keep dropping, then I have a college senior recital to accompany in April - last second thing. I wasn't on the accompanist list due to covid and elder care issues,.but there was an emergency, and a shortage of pianists, and this student's repertoire is entirely inside my wheelhouse so I don't need much practice with student in order to nail it down.

I also just scheduled my first indoor haircut since February of 2020 🙂

• Like 7

On 3/3/2022 at 3:44 PM, mommyoffive said:

95c179e5-abc8-4663-802d-11edb5740786

Anyone else notice the CDC went with orange for their highest risk areas, as opposed to the red we have been used to? Makes it look like it’s not as bad when the worst areas are yellow and orange rather than orange and red. I’m certain that’s not an accident. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

21 hours ago, Longtime Lurker said:

I also just scheduled my first indoor haircut since February of 2020 🙂

Yay! So happy for you! Do you do just a cut or any other processes? How long are you comfy staying in the salon?

I’m working up to doing the same thing. I do several processes, so appointments take a while which makes me anxious, but feeling desperate here. It’s that or I’m buying a box, and that makes me nervous.

My hair hasn’t been it’s natural color since I was 18. It is now! Aaack! 

A salon visit would absolutely rock my world. I hope yours is wonderful.

• Like 1

My sil just announced that she has Covid.  She had it at the very beginning of December.  As far as I know she is unvaccinated.  She is isolating from her family this time but has a very mild case.  The last time, she didn't isolate and my brother ended up in the hospital with it for 10 days in December  then had blood clots at the end of December.  Hopefully it stays mild for her and no one else is reinfected.

• Sad 10

3 hours ago, Spryte said:

Yay! So happy for you! Do you do just a cut or any other processes? How long are you comfy staying in the salon?

I’m working up to doing the same thing. I do several processes, so appointments take a while which makes me anxious, but feeling desperate here. It’s that or I’m buying a box, and that makes me nervous.

My hair hasn’t been it’s natural color since I was 18. It is now! Aaack! 

A salon visit would absolutely rock my world. I hope yours is wonderful.

I only do a cut, but the stylist will blow dry it also to make sure it looks okay. Numbers are low here so I don't feel the need to rush out of the salon, but I will mask during the cut. I work in a high school so I have been around kids in-person this whole time, but a haircut just feels so much more elective than my job 🙂 A friend of mine cut my hair outside three times in the past two years which worked well in the meantime. I am looking forward to this! It feels so decadent...

• Like 1

Come on Michigan and Alabama, go yellow! We have fallen below a thousand new cases per day. I made a hair appointment for the 18th, and am hoping we are below 750 a day by then. Definitely absenteeism at school is dropping a lot. Teachers are trying to think of ways to teach outdoors in the spring as much as possible (tough because we get a lot of rain in April and May) just to keep that tending down. I was thinking that for when it is just light rain, if the schools would buy or rent some of those nice wedding tents and leave the sides off or only down to block the direction for he winds, it would be really nice. The kids could have chairs and table, and be getting a lot of fresh air. We'll see. The school board and superintendent are about as creative thinking as slugs in mud.

Edited by Faith-manor
  • Like 2

On 3/8/2022 at 7:32 AM, mommyoffive said:

That is one of the best articles on covid that I've read in the long time, thanks so much for linking it.

One of the links in that article led to an interesting AP/UChicago poll taken 3 weeks ago, which showed that 50% of Americans still "strongly or somewhat" support mask mandates versus only 28% "strongly or somewhat" opposed, with the remaining 22% not having strong feelings either way. I think the fact that the anti-mask minority are so much louder and more demanding than the pro-mask group creates a false impression that the vast majority of Americans want the masks gone, when that is not accurate.

• Like 10

I teach in a public high school that has required masks for everyone all year. Monday we go masks optional. Many kids are excited about that (several of mine had Covid in January and thankfully mild for all of them). I will be nervously watching the numbers and of course still wearing my N95. One sweet student asked if I would be taking my mask off--she wants to see what everyone looks like. I explained how difficult my life would get if I got sick--out for 5 days at a minimum, planning for a sub, reteaching everything later because no sub can teach math, etc, and that was why I would be still wearing a mask. And then a student in that class was quarantined later in the week (still don't know if he's sick or someone in his family). So we have a week of school, then spring break, no masks anymore in Oregon, and I'll be watching the numbers to see what happens. We're down to about 14 cases per day in my county (high was over 300 at Omicron peak).

• Like 2

Just now, Matryoshka said:

Definitely.  But I got it so far back that apparently it's waning again... 🙄

Me too.  Hopefully there will be more info by the time fall rolls around.  Or the next variant surge.  I was hoping we would be in a lull until fall, but looking at the UK now I am not so sure.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, mommyoffive said:

Me too.  Hopefully there will be more info by the time fall rolls around.  Or the next variant surge.  I was hoping we would be in a lull until fall, but looking at the UK now I am not so sure.  

Yeah, I was starting to relax a bit with our Omicron surge fading and going into summer - but looking at what's going on in Europe is getting me a bit concerned again.  UGH.

• Like 3

A 4th dose of Covid-19 vaccine will be needed, Pfizer's CEO says, but the company is working on a shot to handle all variants - CNN

Pfizer should have data on its three-dose vaccine trial for children ages 6 months to 5 years by April, Bourla told CBS on Sunday.
If authorized by the FDA and recommended by the CDC, Covid-19 vaccines for children ages 6 months to 5 years might start as early as May, Bourla said.
  • Like 2