Menu

If you have a robot vacuum, is it your only vacuum in the house?

mommyoffive

We just got one about a week ago.  
I will also keep my regular vacuum. This robotic thing is not as powerful as my regular vacuum (Dyson). It's okay for daily cleaning but I think something more powerful is needed sometimes. 
I have mostly hard flooring, but I have some heavy area rugs and it gets on them fine, but I would say the cleaning when it is straddling the rug/hard surface is not great (but that's the same with my vacuum too - it does much better doing the hard surface up to rug, and then just on rug - something about that split level - with 1/2" of level difference just isn't great for suction)

• Like 1

We actually have two Roombas and a regular vacuum cleaner. My husband bought one Roomba for me for Christmas. Somehow they delivered teo, but Home Depot didn’t want it back. We use one for playroom, utility, hall, and our room.  The other base does living room and 3 kid rooms.  

We keep the regular vacuum for the car, vacuuming the dryer, freezer, fridge or if you spill something on our hard floor.  We have wood floors in breakfast, kitchen, and dining and I just sweep and mop. 

• Like 1

We have a Dustbuster for quick clean ups of small spills & tracked cat litter. We have a stick vacuum for the carpeted stairs. We sweep the wood stairs. We have area rugs in the foyer, living room and small bathroom rugs in the bathrooms. It doesn’t get stuck on any of it. Occasionally, it does push one of the bathroom rugs out of the way. 

• Like 1

I have a robot but also a regular vacuum. I like the regular vac for quick, small-spot clean ups and for places behind doors and in awkward spots around furniture. The manual vac is also best when I want to spend some time on a specific task, like picking up leaves that tend to break apart. I may need to go over it a couple of times and a robot isn't going to do that. 

My robot runs a few times a week. My manual gets used every couple of weeks.  

ETA: I forgot your second question. I have the Shark that self empties. It does fine going over rugs. My rugs aren't light weight, and don't have fringe, so I don't know it that matters. 

Edited by Tap

2 hours ago, TexasProud said:

We have 2 and the Roombas are great at picking up the fur.  Of course my son’s cat’s reaction was priceless when he jumped on it and set it off.

I just have a cheap Yeedi and it picks up a crazy amount of fur. 

You would think at least one of the seven cats would be willing to ride it, but no. 

I have a vacuum cleaner in addition to my robot (a Shark). I hate it and am planning to start a thread asking for suggestions for a new one later this week.

Anyway, the reason I have a vacuum cleaner is mainly for the things the robot can't do. Baseboards and furniture are the main reasons for having one but as a pp said there are some awkward areas where the robot just can't go. . We also have cats and without a way to vacuum the couch and upholstered chairs we would get covered in cat hairs every time we sat down. 

1 hour ago, Tap said:

I have the Shark that self empties. It does fine going over rugs. My rugs aren't light weight, and don't have fringe, so I don't know it that matters. 

I might have that same Shark. We have mostly wood floors. There's an area rug and a runner on the wood floors, the bedrooms are carpeted, and the bathrooms and laundry room have tile. The Shark does a great job on all three surfaces and is fine going over the area rugs without getting caught on the edges. Our rugs don't have fringe but the Shark can even go over the little bathroom rug in front of the shower with no problem. 

Today's robot vacuums have better motors and much better suction than those from even 5 years ago. They can vacuum a carpeted room as well as a full size vacuum cleaner. As mentioned, you just need something to get where the robot can't go, and to vacuum furniture.

My robot vac (an older Eufy) doesn’t have the battery life to cover everything in one run. We have a small house, but our small house means lots of obstacles, which means slower/longer work for poor Gerald.  He does do just as fine on my rugs as he does on the solid surfaces, but he definitely doesn’t get as deep as my other vacuums. He sometimes gets stuck in between the edge of my runner and the front of my bookcases if he hits it just right (wrong), and he also gets stuck under my ottoman because it’s exactly at his clearance level, but on a rug, so it depends on the weight it’s bearing at the time.

My sectional couch is front on rug, back on hard surface, and Gerald’s little swishy arms have a tendency to shoot debris under the back, where he can’t reach.

I still use other vacuums for furniture, stairs, hard to reach places, and when I want an area done fast.

30 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

My robot vac (an older Eufy) doesn’t have the battery life to cover everything in one run. We have a small house, but our small house means lots of obstacles, which means slower/longer work for poor Gerald.  He does do just as fine on my rugs as he does on the solid surfaces, but he definitely doesn’t get as deep as my other vacuums. He sometimes gets stuck in between the edge of my runner and the front of my bookcases if he hits it just right (wrong), and he also gets stuck under my ottoman because it’s exactly at his clearance level, but on a rug, so it depends on the weight it’s bearing at the time.

My sectional couch is front on rug, back on hard surface, and Gerald’s little swishy arms have a tendency to shoot debris under the back, where he can’t reach.

I still use other vacuums for furniture, stairs, hard to reach places, and when I want an area done fast.

I love that you have named your Roomba!!

18 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

I love that you have named your Roomba!!

Oh, we go overboard on naming things, into sick and twisted territory. Like, we name our thanksgiving turkeys before eating them. This year’s was Oliver, but our most memorable was Carl.

We don’t name our cars though. Hm. Weird. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

No, you will always need something else as well to get areas the robot can't reach easily - like in that crevice behind the toilet, or the spot where the dog lays AS the vacuum robot is cleaning, for the stairs, whatever. Or for when you just want to clean a certain area and not get out your phone and use the app. 

So, MOST of the daily vacuuming is done by the robot downstairs, and will be by the one coming on Wednesday upstairs (will have one each floor). But, I still grab the cordless to say, do a 30 second vacuum under the kitchen table or behind the trash can or to get the stairs, or to use the crevice tool to get between the two dog kennels. 

But at that point, a lightweight stick vacuum plus dustbuster would be plenty. 

18 hours ago, RootAnn said:

We have a Roomba, two regular sized corded vacuums (one upstairs, one downstairs), one cordless, and one portable hand-vac that belongs to a fastidious offspring.

Each has a use. It is good to have options.

Can you tell my husband about this, cause he thinks I'm weird for wanting vacuum options, lol. I will soon have two robot vacuums (one for each floor), a cordless Shark, and a dustbuster. I want to get another dustbuster for upstairs.