Menu

Help me pack a period bag?

Spryte

For a tween who hasn’t started yet? I’m thinking a selection of supplies and some extras, to have on hand.

I have not had a period in almost 25 years! I had a hysterectomy very, very young, and prior to that I had very sporadic, very few, excruciatingly painful periods. So, seriously, I have no idea what’s changed. There’s a lot of new stuff out there now—what are tweens and teens using?

So far I’ve picked a cool pouch to put it all in, some various sizes of pads, and that’s it. 

Any tips? Any fun stuff? 

• Like 1

Period panties are the new thing. They're marketed as an eco-friendly menstrual product to be used in place of disposable products. That doesn't quite work for me but I do use it as my backup and I have not overflowed in two years. They have truly been life-changing. They are expensive, but get them anyway.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Slache said:

Period panties are the new thing. They're marketed as an eco-friendly menstrual product to be used in place of disposable products. That doesn't quite work for me but I do use it as my backup and I have not overflowed in two years. They have truly been life-changing. They are expensive, but get them anyway.

Ok, good to know. I keep seeing them, and wondered!

ETA: do you have a brand recommendation?

Edited by Spryte

We used a quart sized bag to put in a pair of black leggings, period underwear, and then a sandwich bag with a few pads, liners, and ibuprofen. The quart bag can function as a wet bag for stained undies. 

We found installing a bidet onto our existing toilet to be helpful in dealing with managing personal care. I provided tampons, lube, a menstrual cup and a variety of other options but there is definitely a learning curve. I also included a bag of good chocolate to home supplies. 🙂 

• Thanks 1

My teens prefer Always Infinity pads (that come in different lengths). They also use pantyliners (individually wrapped ones would be best for a travel bag). And lite tampons or “sport” tampons have been the best fit, so far. 

Maybe a travel packet of wet wipes and a baggie. That way, if things happen unexpectedly, wet wipes clean up better and the baggie can hold stained  clothing?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Spryte said:

Ok, good to know. I keep seeing them, and wondered!

ETA: do you have a brand recommendation?

Nope. According to others my brand has drastically dropped in quality. Please weigh in on this, people! I need new ones.

10 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

My teens prefer Always Infinity pads (that come in different lengths).

Yes! Yes! A thousand times yes!

• Like 1

Ibuprofen. Definitely a bag to put soiled clothes in. A little package of tissues in case she finds herself somewhere with no TP. I also have my dd carry some ziploc bags in the event she is somewhere she wants to "pack out" her garbage. I can think of times when I was a guest at someone's house and I just really didn't want to dispose of my period trash in an obvious way. My dd is the only girl in her class at her cottage school. So if there was a unisex bathroom or something she might be more comfortable stashing her trash to ditch later somewhere with more privacy. 

We use period panties in our house too. There are times they are the best option. Out in public it is often easier to put on a pad than to change clothes so both are useful. My dd started with tampons pretty early too. 

If you are looking for something fun you could stick in some gum or mints or candy that won't melt or go bad. My dd is kinda sweet and silly but it would probably make her smile if she had a bag like that with a cute little trinket like a Hatchimal or cute little puppy figure or something. Now, as a kid I would have thought that was dumb. But my dd would be like "I was having a hard day but then I saw that sweet little hedgehog and it made my heart happy" 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

What I packed for my girls:

• Several small size (but regular absorbency) pads.
  • Singly wrapped wet wipes.
  • 1 pair of period undies, with a pad already attached, so it's ready in the moment.
  • 1 pair of bootie shorts.  (They used to wear skirts with shorts at their old school.)
  • 1 plastic bag for soiled undies / shorts.
  • I am not sure whether or not I did this, but I considered adding some chewable Tylenol or Ibuprofen in case of cramps.
  • Thanks 1

AFA tips go, if you have sensitive skin at all in your family, you might consider providing an all organic cotton topped version of a pad in the mixup of supplies. Among my circle of my mom friends, a number of us have had kids with skin irritation issues—particularly to the Always brand products. It’s not fun doing a midnight hustle to pick up hydrocortisone cream and a new brand of pads if this ends up being an issue. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

We use primarily cloth, but even if you’re sticking with disposable products, you could get a fun cloth wet bag in a print she would like. That would be nicer than a plastic Ziploc and it wouldn’t be see-through. there are good options on Amazon or on Etsy. I got my most recent kid is this age a little cloth starter pack on Etsy with a variety of patterned pads and a cute wet bag. I bought the Innersy brand of period underwear for her from Amazon. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have only one daughter and she is 30. Most of my honorary daughters came to us when they were much older teens and managing on their own. So I don't have up to date advice except to say that the Pleasant Company Book, "The Care and Keeping of You" was much loved by dd, and I have hear this more than once from other younger moms. She used to keep it in her backpack so if I was not available to be consulted, she could look something up. They did a great job with coaching on tampon use.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

AFA tips go, if you have sensitive skin at all in your family, you might consider providing an all organic cotton topped version of a pad in the mixup of supplies. Among my circle of my mom friends, a number of us have had kids with skin irritation issues—particularly to the Always brand products. It’s not fun doing a midnight hustle to pick up hydrocortisone cream and a new brand of pads if this ends up being an issue. 

Thank you! I've been putting one of these together for my 10 year old and didn't even think of this. Considering she reacts to adhesive, I think I need to.

ETA (I know the pads have adhesive -- but that is attached to the UNDERWEAR, not her skin. She has problems with adhesive left on her skin too long. We've been okay with school band-aids applied at school and then changing it out at home after school to some of the sensitive bandages we have (Welly also works too without the ever-expanding rash)

Edited by vonfirmath
  • Like 1

For period underwear I get Thinx. They have a line for tweens called Thinx(btwn). They are great even if you still use pads/tampons/cups to prevent leakage. If you want to use them in place of a pad they take a while to dry so that was annoying (1.5-2 days to air dry in CA). 

For pads I like always infinite flex foam. I don't have the heaviest period and these are thin but absorbant (100% sure there is chemical magic in those things). I am trying to switch over to a mentral cup though, because always irritates me after a few days of use (I tried the thicker pads that don't irritate me but... the bulkiness irritated me).

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Clarita said:

For period underwear I get Thinx. They have a line for tweens called Thinx(btwn). They are great even if you still use pads/tampons/cups to prevent leakage. If you want to use them in place of a pad they take a while to dry so that was annoying (1.5-2 days to air dry in CA). 

For pads I like always infinite flex foam. I don't have the heaviest period and these are thin but absorbant (100% sure there is chemical magic in those things). I am trying to switch over to a mentral cup though, because always irritates me after a few days of use (I tried the thicker pads that don't irritate me but... the bulkiness irritated me).

I loved my cup but it got stuck to me and I was injured because of it. Look at the disks.

4 hours ago, vonfirmath said:

Thank you! I've been putting one of these together for my 10 year old and didn't even think of this. Considering she reacts to adhesive, I think I need to.

ETA (I know the pads have adhesive -- but that is attached to the UNDERWEAR, not her skin. She has problems with adhesive left on her skin too long. We've been okay with school band-aids applied at school and then changing it out at home after school to some of the sensitive bandages we have (Welly also works too without the ever-expanding rash)

We have adhesive, latex, fragrance, and a few other issues.

FWIW, we tried a number of all cotton topped pads. This is our favorite, which a cotton topper and a polyolefin based backing.  There is a polymer mixed in with the wood pulp absorbent layer, so if you discover irritation, I'd think that the likely suspect: https://www.target.com/p/l-organic-cotton-topsheet-ultra-thin-regular-absorbency-pads-42ct/-/A-51206630?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&fndsrc=tgtao&DFA=71700000049427611&CPNG=PLA_Health%2BShopping_Local|Health_Ecomm_Essentials&adgroup=SC_Health&LID=700000001170770pgs&LNM=PRODUCT_GROUP&network=g&device=c&location=1024479&targetid=pla-324473463838&ds_rl=1246978&ds_rl=1248099&gclid=Cj0KCQiA15yNBhDTARIsAGnwe0XOgc_zqovgG5dhT46b0IPQaj5sIXWkPYeHpzqVqUy2UnZMo36IKI0aAkrPEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

The Seventh Heaven Free and Clear are entirely wood pulp based for the absorbent layer, no polymer mixed in.  These are also pretty easy to find. 

https://www.target.com/p/l-organic-cotton-topsheet-ultra-thin-regular-absorbency-pads-42ct/-/A-51206630?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&fndsrc=tgtao&DFA=71700000049427611&CPNG=PLA_Health%2BShopping_Local|Health_Ecomm_Essentials&adgroup=SC_Health&LID=700000001170770pgs&LNM=PRODUCT_GROUP&network=g&device=c&location=1024479&targetid=pla-324473463838&ds_rl=1246978&ds_rl=1248099&gclid=Cj0KCQiA15yNBhDTARIsAGnwe0XOgc_zqovgG5dhT46b0IPQaj5sIXWkPYeHpzqVqUy2UnZMo36IKI0aAkrPEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

These are entirely cotton for the top and absorbency layer; the backing and wrapper are cornstarch based. The cotton is still chlorine free; they use hydrogen peroxide for the bleaching process.  They are hard to find, but can usually be found on amazon: https://www.organyc-online.com/products/organyc-pads-with-organic-cotton-moderate-flow-with-wings-folded-10/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, vonfirmath said:

I have the same allergy and broke out in hives more than once when the adhesive on winged pads peeled back a little and touched my thighs. You might want to go with wingless pads or cloth.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My advice: don't buy a ton of anything until you know what she likes. I grew up before all the "ultra-thin" pads that are available now, and I was sure my daughter would prefer those to traditional maxis. Nope. She feels like none of them prevent leakage well enough (and we tried a ton, including the highest absorbencies of Always Infinity Flex Foam, which were the best of the ultra-thin). She prefers using traditional maxi pads (Stayfree super and overnight) or tampons with liners. 

I highly recommend the U by Kotex Click tampons. She learned to use even the super absorbency ones quickly. They are shorter than regular tampons, IMO. 

She did NOT like the U by Kotex teen pads. She said they felt like cardboard in her underwear. 

Carefree Original are her favorites liners.

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

So I don't have up to date advice except to say that the Pleasant Company Book, "The Care and Keeping of You" was much loved by dd, and I have hear this more than once from other younger moms. She used to keep it in her backpack so if I was not available to be consulted, she could look something up. They did a great job with coaching on tampon use.

Just an update that Pleasant Company is now American Girl and The Care and Keeping of You now comes in two versions, one for younger girls and one for older girls. From what I gather from Amazon reviews, the one for younger girls does not contain the illustration of tampon insertion but the one for older girls does.

We usually love American Girl books, but I did have some issues with the original Care and Keeping of You. It had lots (and lots) of discussion about what to do if you are embarrassed about / ashamed of your freckles, your glasses, your waist size, your breast size, and on and on. I wish it hadn't put some of those ideas in my DD's head because I honestly think some of them would not have occurred to her otherwise. I would choose something different now.

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Slache said:

My younger daughter has Bambody, Hesta, and Neione brands  from Amazon.  They all work well for her.  

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, MercyA said:

We usually love American Girl books, but I did have some issues with the original Care and Keeping of You. It had lots (and lots) of discussion about what to do if you are embarrassed about / ashamed of your freckles, your glasses, your waist size, your breast size, and on and on. I wish it hadn't put some of those ideas in my DD's head because I honestly think some of them would not have occurred to her otherwise. I would choose something different now.

I had the same issues, and you’re the only other person I’ve ever heard have the same issue with it. Most people love that book. I especially hated the idea of making my young dd think that boys would all be evaluating the size of her chest and that she should worry about this. It would not otherwise have struck this particular kid at that age to ever think anyone else would be paying any attention to that. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, KSera said:

I had the same issues, and you’re the only other person I’ve ever heard have the same issue with it. Most people love that book. I especially hated the idea of making my young dd think that boys would all be evaluating the size of her chest and that she should worry about this. It would not otherwise have struck this particular kid at that age to ever think anyone else would be paying any attention to that. 

We just finished reading that book, and I skipped those sections after cringing my way through reading one. Wow. It was like a manual for feeling bad about oneself. I didn’t like it.

Has anyone read The Period Book? I’m looking at that now, too. 

• Like 1

For period panties we have used Bambody and ModiBodi. I think the ModiBodi are my dd’s and I got the Bambody for myself off of Amazon because they were cheaper (isn’t that like a mom?) I actually had a pair of Thinx at one time but they were really expensive. I tried the Bambody from Amazon and liked them better than the more expensive ones.

My dd has the Modibodi  brand because I bought bathing suit bottoms from there for her and she liked them so we went with those for underwear too. She mainly wears them as backup or on super light days or on days when she thinks she might get it but hasn’t yet. It gives peace of mind in those situations but she doesn’t use them straight up for regular flow because she thinks they are gross to wash out if there is a lot. But they are awesome when you need a little protection but don’t want to wear a pad just in case or with a tampon. 

My dd is a dancer and I worried for years about how she would manage her period in just a leotard and tights. It hasn’t been a big deal. She uses a tampon or sometimes the Modibodi underwear and you can’t even tell she is wearing it. ModiBodi even makes leotards and tights. There is so much more available now! And I’m frugal but I’d pay about anything to make periods easier on my young teen.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MercyA said:

My advice: don't buy a ton of anything until you know what she likes. I grew up before all the "ultra-thin" pads that are available now, and I was sure my daughter would prefer those to traditional maxis. Nope. She feels like none of them prevent leakage well enough (and we tried a ton, including the highest absorbencies of Always Infinity Flex Foam, which were the best of the ultra-thin). She prefers using traditional maxi pads (Stayfree super and overnight) or tampons with liners. 

I highly recommend the U by Kotex Click tampons. She learned to use even the super absorbency ones quickly. They are shorter than regular tampons, IMO. 

She did NOT like the U by Kotex teen pads. She said they felt like cardboard in her underwear. 

I can imagine that. When I used tampons, I always preferred ob -- the smaller length just seemed to work better than most of the others. As long as I was okay getting my finger dirty. (That's what soap is for)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MercyA said:

I have the same allergy and broke out in hives more than once when the adhesive on winged pads peeled back a little and touched my thighs. You might want to go with wingless pads or cloth.

I really really appreciate this heads up. We've been able to mostly sidestep the adhesive allergy issues so far and it'd be terrible to have to rediscover them in such a sensitive area!

• Like 1

I got a few types of pads for my DD, and she prefers the Kotex Sport ones over all others (including over the Kotex Teen ones). They are more flexible and thinner or something. 

So a few types of pads, and we got some generic period underwear to wear overnight with them, as back up to the pads. 

Oh, and a little make up bag type thing to keep them in, and then when she got her period I got her a new backpack to carry (she wanted that instead of a purse). 

• Thanks 1

On 12/1/2021 at 7:26 PM, MercyA said:

Yup, Kotex Click tampons are the only ones I can use - others are too long and irritate me terribly. 

And my dd also hated the Kotex Teen ones - she likes the Kotex Sport ones though. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1