Menu

Eat or toss

Elizabeth86

Eat them. When freight is put away in stores, pallets of things like eggs are often left out all night as people are putting things away. Eggs from the US grocery stores are washed and don't last as long as unwashed eggs, but overnight in cool weather will be completely fine. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, Serenade said:

I would eat them.  I still remember when grocery stores did not refrigerate eggs at all.  

I would probably eat them.  We've been to other countries where eggs are still never refrigerated, but there's a reason for that.  Eggs in the U.S. are treated for salmonella by washing/spraying them with a disinfectant.  That kills any salmonella on the shell, but also removes a thin layer on the shell that protects the egg from germs.  Then, it becomes even easier for germs to enter the egg unless it's refrigerated.  Most other countries don't use that wash/spray.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, J-rap said:

I would probably eat them.  We've been to other countries where eggs are still never refrigerated, but there's a reason for that.  Eggs in the U.S. are treated for salmonella by washing/spraying them with a disinfectant.  That kills any salmonella on the shell, but also removes a thin layer on the shell that protects the egg from germs.  Then, it becomes even easier for germs to enter the egg unless it's refrigerated.  Most other countries don't use that wash/spray.

This is so interesting!  I've been wondering why non-refrigerated eggs used to be considered safe. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, J-rap said:

In the UK, most hens are vaccinated against salmonella but the eggs are not washed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, barnwife said:

Would  I eat them? Yes, most likely. I'd do the float test first though. DH would eat them. But I know my sister would not.

I might be your sister. 😉

I would probably toss them.  I *might* float them first and I *might* decide to eat them, but probably not.

Right now, I can buy 5 dozen eggs for less than $3.  It wouldn't be worth the risk to me.

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Junie said:

I would probably toss them.  I *might* float them first and I *might* decide to eat them, but probably not.

Right now, I can buy 5 dozen eggs for less than $3.  It wouldn't be worth the risk to me.

Wow- your egg prices are great! Ours are about $3.20 for an 18 count carton. Not organic or anything, just plain old eggs. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Junie said:

I'm seconding your vote to toss them. Eggs aren't super cheap here, but it still wouldn't be worth the risk to me, either. 

• Like 1

I consider myself fairly conservative when it comes to food storage temperatures and safe-handling.  But, I would probablhy eat them cooked after that if temperatures dropped that low.  I would examine each egg and throw out any that I suspected had a small crack.  

US hens typically aren't vaccinated, no. It's widespread throughout the UK and the EU, though - I think it may be mandatory in some parts of Europe...?

And listen, even in the dystopian hellscape of washed eggs from unvaxxed chickens, raw and uncracked eggs that have stayed out in below-70F weather overnight should be perfectly, 100% safe. Unless you have some serious immune problems, I'd eat them, no hesitation. Usually I say that whatever *I* would do, *you* should toss them because you're worried - but this is not something to be worried about.

• Thanks 1