Menu

home remedies UTI?

ktgrok

I tend to get an irritable bladder/minor UTI depending on what I'm eating, drinking, etc. Blergh. 

Got D-Mannose today, says 1.5 grams 2-3 times a day. Doing that.

Got a probiotic blend for women's health/UTI that also has cranberry in it. Take 2 per day. I took one, will take another tonight. 

Trying to drink a lot. 

Store is out of blueberries. 

Anything else? 

2 minutes ago, Jann in TX said:

More water.

Sleeping without undies... you dont want an external yeast infection to compound the UTI (which is most likely yeast related!).

Low sugar diet-- again anything to combat the yeast.

Yup...was eating a bunch of sugar. And wore tight workout shorts under my dress out in the heat to church and the picnic after. And drank more coffee and soda. 

Edited by ktgrok

When we put dd on a lower oxalate diet her serial issues with burning on urination/minor UTIs stopped completely. I don't think this is a solution for everyone, and suspect that when her labs came up low-positive for e coli it could have been contamination, rather than an actual infection. But I do know it just kept recurring until she went lower oxalate, then magically resolved. No issues in about 10 years. 

Just now, mommyoffive said:

I didn't know blueberries were good for that?  I only knew about cranberries.

Yup, they are high in mannose, as are cranberries and some others. And way tastier!

Also, I cannot do a bunch of cranberry or it feels 100 times worse. Learned that lesson the hard way. Felt like I was in labor it was so painful - the acid from the cranberry juice I was chugging irritated the already inflamed bladder lining. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Acadie said:

When we put dd on a lower oxalate diet her serial issues with burning on urination/minor UTIs stopped completely. I don't think this is a solution for everyone, and suspect that when her labs came up low-positive for e coli it could have been contamination, rather than an actual infection. But I do know it just kept recurring until she went lower oxalate, then magically resolved. No issues in about 10 years. 

I wander if she was getting small oxalate stones/crystals that were causing the issue? 

1 minute ago, ktgrok said:

Yup, they are high in mannose, as are cranberries and some others. And way tastier!

Also, I cannot do a bunch of cranberry or it feels 100 times worse. Learned that lesson the hard way. Felt like I was in labor it was so painful - the acid from the cranberry juice I was chugging irritated the already inflamed bladder lining. 

Good to know!  Thanks for the info.  Everyone here loves blueberries.  Crans are hard to get them to do unless it is in juice.

4 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Good to know!  Thanks for the info.  Everyone here loves blueberries.  Crans are hard to get them to do unless it is in juice.

Same, and then you have to get the juice with the added sugar since it tastes bad otherwise, which sort of defeats the point. Blueberries they will eat straight. 

Actually...I might have some frozen ones! Off to go check. 

(also, the store always asks if I want blueberries, and yet today when I DO want them, no blueberries. Sigh)

• Like 1

I was having chronic UTI's monthly. My dr put me on this and I have not had another since Jan. I take one every night before bed. He said that it would help more that way since you go longer overnight without going to the bathroom. I know this is more preventative, but it really has worked for me. It also shortened the time of my last UTI (he had me start it during my last UTI). During the UTI he had me take it 2x a day instead of 1. 

image.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ktgrok said:

So, turns out GoodRx will do a script for antibiotics just from filling out some questions and chatting with a doctor! They are calling in antibiotics!

So glad you are getting on abx! Knock that puppy out. 

UTIs are not home remedy material here anymore. I’ve been hospitalized twice for a UTI in the last year! Yikes! 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Spryte said:

So glad you are getting on abx! Knock that puppy out. 

UTIs are not home remedy material here anymore. I’ve been hospitalized twice for a UTI in the last year! Yikes! 

I remembered that, and it was part of the reason I decided to get the antibiotics! I remember it sort of snuck up on you, and I don't want that! 

I know I get bladder irritation easily from caffiene/coffee/tea/soda, and was hoping it was just that...but it isn't. Ugh. Also, now I can take another dose of Azo and not worry it will mess up a test. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

I remembered that, and it was part of the reason I decided to get the antibiotics! I remember it sort of snuck up on you, and I don't want that! 

I know I get bladder irritation easily from caffiene/coffee/tea/soda, and was hoping it was just that...but it isn't. Ugh. Also, now I can take another dose of Azo and not worry it will mess up a test. 

Hit the florastor along with your antibiotics. 

• Like 2

Not a remedy for an existing infection, but for prevention in the future - there have been multiple studies linking e coli found in chicken to human UTI's.

https://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=154874

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/08/180828085911.htm

https://www.webmd.com/women/news/20171009/did-your-uti-come-from-a-chicken-coop

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

I started taking this - will this work? image.thumb.png.5a62717861df4b739db6b7b293dcb829.png

Nope 😬. That looks really good, and should be helpful, and I expect will ward off any potential yeast infections, but Florastor (S. Boulardii) is specifically effective against C Diff, which is the reason to take it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, KSera said:

Nope 😬. That looks really good, and should be helpful, and I expect will ward off any potential yeast infections, but Florastor (S. Boulardii) is specifically effective against C Diff, which is the reason to take it.

Gotcha. I'll order some. 

• Like 1

This is the info I have cut and pasted about UTIs and how often to use things like D-Mannose (like for an active infection, you take it every few hours, not just 2-3 times a day.). I haven’t read over this in a bit, and am just cutting and pasting everything I have in case anyone wants to read through it:  

UTI infection: D mannose. 

(if it’s not a UTI: I've also had times I was sure I had a UTI - my urine was super acidic and that was the source of my symptoms. (even the culture was negative) for that - my dr had me do 1/4 tsp baking soda in water 2x per day to neutralize the acidity in my body.—wtmer GardenMom5)

There are a few methods:

Per this article, 2-3 grams every 2 hours:  https://www.clinicaladvisor.com/home/features/alternative-meds-update/d-mannose-an-effective-antibiotic-alternative/ (See screenshot:)

HOW I TAKE IT WHEN I HAVE A UTI (note that I have NOT A single UTI since I started using this as prevention!!)

Okay when you notice signs of UTI (aka the horrible feeling of death, burning, and would rather give birth again,) take one large teaspon in about 2 onces of water. now WAIT 45 mins so it can go through your body to your bladder, you want it to grab as much bacteria as possible, then start drinking alot of water like a large deer park water bottle at least 12-16 onces of water. Then wait 2-3 hours and repeat, then after the first two doses, do it EVERY 3-4 hours until sympotns start to disappear, I take AZO with it the first 24 hours to help with pain, but after about 20-30 hours, you are going to be shocked at how much better you feel.

IN NON PARAGRAPH FORM:

DOSE: Take one large tsp of D-Mannose in 2 oz water.  

WAIT: Wait 45 min, drink 16 oz or more of water.

Wait 2-3 hours and repeat the DOSE and WAIT steps.

Now wait 3-4 hours and repeat the DOSE and WAIT steps.

Continue repeating the DOSE and WAIT steps every 3-4 hours until the infection is gone.  (Round the clock.)

Take Uristat/AZO in the first 24 hours, but within 20-30 hours the infection should be going away.  

After doing a little bit more research, I found something called the waterfall method. This method is meant to prevent UTIs from occurring after having intercourse. I mix 1 tsp. of D mannose in the morning with a full 8 oz. glass of water and drink it. Then, one hour before sex, I take it again (1 tsp. of D mannose with 8 oz. of water). Immediately after sex, I take another dose. Afterwards, I take another dose every 6 hours for a full 24 hours after to make sure that there's no bacteria left in my system. This method has worked for me every time, and since following this method, I haven't had another UTI. I am so thankful to have found this product and I hope that this helps others. I have not experienced any side effects from taking this product.

My 20 yr old cat who has chronic kidney disease takes 1/8 tsp 2x a day in 5mls of water with her meds to prevent UTI's. I have been using it with her for over a year now and it works really well on certain types of UTI bacteria. The secret is to not mix with too much water so that it clings to the sides of the bladder, I think. I'm on our 3rd bottle in a little over a year. Will continue to buy for as long as it works for her.

I read some medical research about the product, and the studies I read about found that D-Mannose is slightly more effective than Macrobid when used as a regular preventative measure.

Each day I take a teaspoon of D-Mannose in a small glass of water. I make sure I drink plenty of tea and water throughout the day.

If I happen to get a UTI, which only happened 3 or 4 times last year, I take a tablespoon in a glass of water. Then I take another tablespoon with more water about 2-3 hours later. I do this until the symptoms subside, usually in about a day. Then I take a regular dose in the morning and at night for two or three more days before returning to my regular dose.

It's been a full year, and I haven't had to make a call to the doctor for a UTI. I've been able to completely clear them up with D-Mannose. I've never had any side effects. It's truly been a lifesaver! I am thankful every day that I found this product!

This is truly a life saver for me. I get UTI's at the drop of a hat. Antibiotics weren't working for me and I was sick of telling doc's I still had a UTI after taking multiple rounds of antibiotics. I now use this along with Monolaurin. I don't usually have to use both, but if by chance I notice the D-Mannose isn't working, then the Monolaurin will. I followed another user's advice on using the D-Mannose, by first putting a heaping teaspoon in just 4 oz of water, then waiting 45 minutes before drinking more. Ever since doing that method I haven't had any issues whatsoever. I always make sure I have this in stock!

Anyhow - now since using this product I haven’t had a UTI in 2 years. As soon as I feel a little tingle or anything “off” I take a dose of this in 2-4 ounces of water. I find it works best first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. Wait an hour and the guzzle some water. Wait 4 hours and repeat. And somehow it works! I repeat this for a 24-48 hour period and boom all clear.

As someone who suffers from chronic UTIs, this stuff is a life saver. Wait until your bladder is empty, take a good-sized spoonful of the powder without any water or VERY LITTLE water. Wait about 45 minutes, then chug as much water as you can. This gives the powder enough time to stick to the walls of your bladder and flush out the bacteria.

If you have a dog or cat thats prone to UTI's, this is a good supplement to keep on hand. If you have a cat with chronic UTI's, make sure to avoid all dry food and treats, cats in particular need a lot of moisture to keep kidneys and bladder flushed. For dog food, fresh food is always best, but if you feed kibble make sure its decent quality with no corn/wheat/soy, byproducts or dyes/preservatives. Also, email the company to inquire about ash levels. More ash= higher recurrence of UTI's. (ideally, it should be 7% or under).

As far as dosage, for cats,- 1/2 tps mixed in with canned food or broth if they'll drink it.

Dogs up to 40 lbs- 1 tsp mixed with 1/3 cup of goats milk or low sodium broth. You can add it to food, but it works better suspended in liquid.

Dogs over 40 lbs- 2 teaspoons with broth/goats milk.

You can give this up to 3 times a day until UTI clears.

Another article about D-mannose: 

https://kresserinstitute.com/treat-prevent-utis-without-drugs/

The typical dose of D-mannose for UTI treatment is 500 mg, in capsule or powder form, taken in a glass of water or juice every two to three hours for five days. It is a good practice to continue taking the supplement even after symptoms have diminished to ensure complete elimination of the bacteria in the urinary tract. This dose can also be taken as a preventative, or prophylactic, method.

From the above article: If it’s not e-coli:

Alternative Treatments for Chronic UTIs

One caveat with D-mannose is that it is only effective with UTIs caused by E. coli infection. While this accounts for about 90% of cases, there are 10% that will not benefit from this treatment. In this case, supplements that help disrupt biofilms can be useful in treating and preventing UTIs.

Biofilms are an accumulation of microorganisms and their extracellular products forming structured communities attached to a surface such as the lining of the urogenital tract. (5) The development of a biofilm can make infections extremely hard to treat, since they commonly return shortly after treatment is stopped. The antibacterial resistance of pathogenic biofilms is one of the major reasons why those who get a UTI are highly susceptible to getting more in the future – if the biofilm is not completely eliminated, the infection will eventually return at some point.

This is why the use of biofilm disruptors can be helpful for preventing the recurrence of chronic UTIs. (6) The biofilm disruptors that I recommend to my patients are InterFase Plus from Klaire Labs or Biofilm Defense from Kirkman. These contain specialized enzymes to disrupt the biofilm matrix embedding potential of pathogens, and dissolve the sugar and fibrin components of most pathogenic biofilms. By destroying the biofilms, the recurrence of UTIs despite proper hygiene can be reduced. (7)

Lauricidin is another supplement that may be helpful in treating UTIs, particularly those that are caused by bacteria other than E. coli. Lauricidin (a proprietary form of monolaurin) has anti-viral, anti-fungal and anti-bacterial activity, and is specific against pathogenic bacteria so it won’t disrupt beneficial bacteria in the gut. It is highly effective at combating gram positive bacteria in the families of Streptococcus, Staphylococcus, Corynebacterium, Listeria, Bacillus, and Clostridium. (8) It works by disturbing the integrity of the bacterial cell membrane, blocking replication and making it easier for the immune system to destroy the pathogen. Lauricidin is only helpful, however, for UTIs not caused by E. coli, which is gram negative and has a different kind of outer cell membrane than gram positive bacteria.

Nattokinase from Source Naturals is another enzyme that has been shown to dissolve biofilms. (9) Produced by the bacteria found in the fermented food natto, this enzyme is proteolytic and can help break down the fibrin proteins that maintain the structure of biofilms. Because of its fibrin-breaking ability, it’s important that nattokinase supplements are not taken by people with bleeding disorders, or by people who are taking Coumadin (warfarin), aspirin, or any other drug that influences blood clotting, unless supervised by a physician.

Apolactoferrin (or lactoferrin) is one more supplement that I recommend to my patients with recurring UTIs. This multifunctional protein Lactoferrin is a component of the immune system with antimicrobial activity, and is part of the innate defense, mainly found in secretions and mucosal surfaces. (10) Lactoferrin has been shown to block pathogenic biofilm development by binding to iron and causing the bacteria to “wander” across surfaces instead of forming cell clusters and biofilms. (1112) One study found that the amount of E. coli bacteria in the kidneys and bladder of mice was significantly reduced 24 hours later by oral lactoferrin treatment, compared to a control group. (13) More research is necessary to demonstrate the effectiveness of lactoferrin in treating UTIs, but I believe it is worth trying, especially if dealing with chronic UTIs.

• Like 2

For the future...D-Mannose and this helped stop the last two I had. I had my antibiotic perscription, but I was able to avoid having to take them. I'm convinced I got them from stress from dealing with Covid drama.

https://www.azoproducts.com/products/uti-medications/azo-max-strength

Edited by calbear

I need to join the D-Mannose love here. I, too, use it and love it. But it’s never cured a real, full blown UTI for me. It’s great for prevention, and I do think it works well for that, and a few times I’ve suspected one is coming on and used it every few hours with success. But no luck with curing a real, solid UTI. And they can move to your kidneys and get serious fast. Watch for back pain, and if you are very nauseated or if you vomit … head straight to the ER, peeps!

D-Mannose primarily works for E. coli UTIs. Most of them are indeed caused by E. coli. But not all. My last one, that landed me in hospital was not. It was a tough one. I did try D-Mannose first. And then the first antibiotic they used didn’t clear things up. It was tough. Fortunately they had cultured it, so we knew how to treat when that came back. I’m actually doing a few months of low dose abx to try to break the cycle, now.

@ktgrok I hope you feel better fast!

• 7 months later...
On 9/14/2021 at 3:48 PM, ktgrok said:

So, turns out GoodRx will do a script for antibiotics just from filling out some questions and chatting with a doctor! They are calling in antibiotics!

May I ask what antibiotic they prescribed? Sounds very convenient.

More generally, what antibiotic are people receiving for UTIs? I am allergic to Macrobid and Bactrim, but have never taken another antibiotic...

19 minutes ago, Mom_to3 said:

More generally, what antibiotic are people receiving for UTIs? I am allergic to Macrobid and Bactrim, but have never taken another antibiotic...

I honestly don't remember, but I know they asked about drug allergies before hand. 

44 minutes ago, Mom_to3 said:

I’m allergic to those, too.

Keflex is one they often use, also Cipro.

Your best bet is to get a culture, and your doc will know exactly what to use.

I take low dose keflex as a preventative now.

• Thanks 1

1/2 Tsp baking soda in 8 oz water twice daily will help sooth the bladder. It won't cure a UTI but it will help with the pain when you feel one coming one and while  recovering. It also works if you have IC. It is the most effective remedy I have found.

• Like 1

My RN MIL always drank cranberry juice for bladder infections.   I have also.   You can buy the active ingredient OTC in health food type stores.

I also learned, if I start getting acidic, it can feel like a UTI, but it's not.   My dr had me drink 1/4" tsp of baking soda in warm water a couple times a day.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KidsHappen said:

1/2 Tsp baking soda in 8 oz water twice daily will help sooth the bladder. It won't cure a UTI but it will help with the pain when you feel one coming one and while  recovering. It also works if you have IC. It is the most effective remedy I have found.

Yup. This was a lifesaver. 

Ok, I’m going to toss this in the arena for anyone who needs it, too.

I have been having recurrent, hard to treat UTIs. Big trouble with them. I have urologist on board, working with other specialists, two hospital admissions and something like 7-8 ER visits in the last 14 mos. 

My integrative doc sent a sample off to Microgen, which essentially DNA tested my urine. I have three strains of bacteria present that are resistant to most commonly used abx! Just got the results today! It’s been a year + of agony here, and I am so excited to finally have some hope. Started my new abx today, so crossing fingers that I’ll get some relief.

Wanted to share for anyone else who develops chronic, recurring infections.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Spryte said:

I’m allergic to those, too.

Keflex is one they often use, also Cipro.

Your best bet is to get a culture, and your doc will know exactly what to use.

I take low dose keflex as a preventative now.

Oh - thank you, and that's interesting that you have the same allergies. I do feel somewhat defeated that I am allergic to 2 of the 2 antibiotics I have taken...And congrats on them figuring out what's causing your chronic infection!!

I have had a couple of trace results on professional dipsticks (most of the time normal) since last weekend, and a few times of minor symptoms (no pain), so not sure it's worth driving 3 hours roundtrip to give a sample. And of course worried that if it's an infection, that it will blow up on me on a weekend...which is why I asked about the GoodRx:) Can't imagine going to urgent care or the ER right now -we are drowning in covid! But perhaps telehealth companies only prescribe stuff like Macrobid which I can't take.

Edited to add: Am drinking tons of water, also cranberry juice and D-Mannose.

Edited by Mom_to3

47 minutes ago, Mom_to3 said:

Oh - thank you, and that's interesting that you have the same allergies. I do feel somewhat defeated that I am allergic to 2 of the 2 antibiotics I have taken...And congrats on them figuring out what's causing your chronic infection!!

I have had a couple of trace results on professional dipsticks (most of the time normal) since last weekend, and a few times of minor symptoms (no pain), so not sure it's worth driving 3 hours roundtrip to give a sample. And of course worried that if it's an infection, that it will blow up on me on a weekend...which is why I asked about the GoodRx:) Can't imagine going to urgent care or the ER right now -we are drowning in covid! But perhaps telehealth companies only prescribe stuff like Macrobid which I can't take.

Edited to add: Am drinking tons of water, also cranberry juice and D-Mannose.

Even if there’s Covid risk (and I’m super cautious), do go in if you get significantly worse or become nauseated and start vomiting. High fever, too. UTIs can become serious quickly.

I am on a different abx now, targeted at the strains I have. So far, so good. Hopefully there are options that will work for you!

I just remembered that ampicillin is used for UTIs, too. I would use an online service and tell them your allergies, I’m sure they can come up with something.

• Like 1