Katy

• Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

FB_IMG_1706588008447.jpg

The last Blockbuster in our city closed in 2018. Our local one within 2 miles of our house closed in 2017. We used it to the bitter end. We could get any movie when we wanted for 99 cents. 

We don't watch enough movies to pay fees for streaming services. Even if we watched enough for one then half the movies would be on a different one anyway. If we gave in and just had a bunch of streaming services we would end up paying $30 per movie because we just don't watch enough. Sucks as a model for anyone who doesn't watch a ton of movies. We do just outright buy movies from Amazon and such at times but I miss blockbuster!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, frogger said:

The last Blockbuster in our city closed in 2018. Our local one within 2 miles of our house closed in 2017. We used it to the bitter end. We could get any movie when we wanted for 99 cents. 

We don't watch enough movies to pay fees for streaming services. Even if we watched enough for one then half the movies would be on a different one anyway. If we gave in and just had a bunch of streaming services we would end up paying $30 per movie because we just don't watch enough. Sucks as a model for anyone who doesn't watch a ton of movies. We do just outright buy movies from Amazon and such at times but I miss blockbuster!

Try your local library. Mine even carries the DVD’s of made for streaming shows, and they no longer charge fees for checking them out. I think it used to be $1 per set. 

• Like 7

7 hours ago, frogger said:

2 hours ago, Katy said:

Try your local library. Mine even carries the DVD’s of made for streaming shows, and they no longer charge fees for checking them out. I think it used to be $1 per set. 

Yes. They will even do inter-library loan for them sometimes. Also, they may offer online services like Hoopla that you can watch movies on.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, frogger said:

We do use libraries for newish shows but find old ones are often scratched but hey it is free. And they are very restrictive hours so you have to plan ahead. 

Edited by frogger

On 1/27/2024 at 5:25 PM, Terabith said:

Where the heck do people limit time outside and dress in layers at 53 degrees Fahrenheit???

IMG_4706.jpeg

HIGH was 53. It was in the twenties. And If this is when I think it was, it was also windy. 

On 1/28/2024 at 2:20 PM, Lady Florida. said:

Absolutely yes to the bolded. Also, unless you shop online or at a place like REI, the cold weather coat you buy isn't made for actual cold weather.

Also - Humidity. I've had visitors from up north amazed that our 45 degrees feels more like their 25 degrees. 

Yeah, our "winter coat" is a regular old hoodie. Actually, mine doesn't even have a hood, lol. I also own 2 long sleeve cotton thin shirts and 1 sweatshirt. And my warmest pants are regular old cotton hanes sweatpants. 

So yes, we needed to layer in 20/30 degree weather, and limit time outdoors because we are all in cropped leggings, a tshirt, and a hoodie. And with the wind and humidity it feels MUCH colder. 

As Lady says, assume the temp feels 20 degrees colder than the thermometer says. I was SHOCKED at how comfortable I was in Wisconsin and in South Dakota in the 40s compared to 60's here. 

• Like 6

10 hours ago, ktgrok said:

HIGH was 53. It was in the twenties. And If this is when I think it was, it was also windy. 

Yeah, our "winter coat" is a regular old hoodie. Actually, mine doesn't even have a hood, lol. I also own 2 long sleeve cotton thin shirts and 1 sweatshirt. And my warmest pants are regular old cotton hanes sweatpants. 

So yes, we needed to layer in 20/30 degree weather, and limit time outdoors because we are all in cropped leggings, a tshirt, and a hoodie. And with the wind and humidity it feels MUCH colder. 

As Lady says, assume the temp feels 20 degrees colder than the thermometer says. I was SHOCKED at how comfortable I was in Wisconsin and in South Dakota in the 40s compared to 60's here. 

Gotta disagree w one point. Humidity always makes it feel warmer. I’m speculating that our relative comfort while spending time being way up north is from the psychology of it—being prepared and dressing more appropriately for those temps. Meanwhile, here in Alabama, I have been known to run errands in sub freezing temps in flip flops because I can’t be bothered with putting on real shoes. 😉 And yes, I put on coat and hat. With flip flops. I confess. I’m not proud of this.

And as one of my former family practice docs said at a visit during winter pointing out my lack of socks… (he was a gruff but kind Russian doc—imagine a thick accent), “Thanks for the repeat business.” 😂😂😂

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, popmom said:

Gotta disagree w one point. Humidity always makes it feel warmer. I’m speculating that our relative comfort while spending time being way up north is from the psychology of it—being prepared and dressing more appropriately for those temps. Meanwhile, here in Alabama, I have been known to run errands in sub freezing temps in flip flops because I can’t be bothered with putting on real shoes. 😉 And yes, I put on coat and hat. With flip flops. I confess. I’m not proud of this.

And as one of my former family practice docs said at a visit during winter pointing out my lack of socks… (he was a gruff but kind Russian doc—imagine a thick accent), “Thanks for the repeat business.” 😂😂😂

My husband chips ice in flip flops and shorts. 😂 I don't know why. Well, I do. He is too lazy too put on real shoes.

I think humidity makes heat hotter and cold colder. Dry air is nice when you need to evaporate sweat of course but once you get a chill it makes everything worse. This is why a jacket is needed when ocean fishing when the exact same temp won't bother me in my yard in shorts and tank top. This is because moisture lands on you and takes heat with it upon reevaporation. 

Logically it makes sense that there isn't enough moisture to make a difference in sub zero temps but I swear  -10° F in coastal Anchoage, Ak feels like -40° F in the interior Of Alaska. Maybe it is psychology but it feels so different even if I move from one spot to another in the same winter. 🤷‍♀️ 

• Like 7

15 hours ago, ktgrok said:

You might check online for cheap light fleece jackets with an outer nylon (windproof) lining. They go on sale at this time of year for $10-15.

4 hours ago, popmom said:

You are absolutely wrong about humidity and cold. Humidity intensifies ALL temperatures and cold will cut you to the bone. I grew up in North Florida and went to college in New England. I remember there was a freak cold snap in December of 1996. Even though it was 25-40F outside, the parka I bought for New England wasn’t warm enough to spend hours outside with my sick horse. When I went back there was STILL a colder than usual snap in New England. There was another girl in my dorm from Miami and we kept running into each other outside in tshirts and jeans in the day because 14 degrees (sunny, no wind, no humidity) felt much warmer than Florida had been for all of the 6 week winter break. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, frogger said:

I think humidity makes heat hotter and cold colder.

Yes, me too. I used to live in a very humid subtropical climate. There was no heat in the homes because it was rarely down into the 50s even. But the cold would just seep into your bones sometimes. One winter I was so cold (and I generally am not). There was a new hotel being opened by a famous chain, and they had a special, so dh and I reserved a room for my birthday. They had those nice rainshower shower heads, and a bathtub (which we didn't have in our home), and I spent a lot of time in the hot water, just enjoying the warmth! We were just looking for a nice enjoyable getaway, but my favorite part was the bathroom, lol.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, popmom said:

gotta disagree with this.   If the temps are WARM, where you would need to sweat to cool off (but it's hard to sweat because of the humidity), . . .

when dealing with colder temperatures, humidity makes you feel colder than the ambient temps would otherwise indicate.   because that moisture is on you, and as it evaporates, it is taking heat FROM you, making you feel colder.   One reason why low humidity areas are more pleasant in the winter - even if their base temperature is lower.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, frogger said:

My husband chips ice in flip flops and shorts. 😂 I don't know why. Well, I do. He is too lazy too put on real shoes.

I think humidity makes heat hotter and cold colder. Dry air is nice when you need to evaporate sweat of course but once you get a chill it makes everything worse. This is why a jacket is needed when ocean fishing when the exact same temp won't bother me in my yard in shorts and tank top. This is because moisture lands on you and takes heat with it upon reevaporation. 

Logically it makes sense that there isn't enough moisture to make a difference in sub zero temps but I swear  -10° F in coastal Anchoage, Ak feels like -40° F in the interior Of Alaska. Maybe it is psychology but it feels so different even if I move from one spot to another in the same winter. 🤷‍♀️ 

don't underestimate the contribution of the breeze (or wind) while ocean fishing . . .   

we've found the prime spot to stand on the ferry going across PS (so you can see everything).  the EXACT center of the cat walk? (the back side is solid and is immediately below the bridge so pretty sheltered) that runs along the front. there is zero wind.  four/five feet either side, it's freezing due to wind - even bundled up, I don't last long.  But in the center where there is zero wind, I can stay as long as I like..  It's even more pleasant than the viewing deck down below (it has two open doors on the side that just invites the wind inside.)

• Like 1

I guess I’m wrong! When I run a humidifier or vaporizer in my 65 degree house, I feel warmer. But I suppose that is a lot different from 20 degrees outside. 

eta: so what is the temperature where the shift happens? Freezing?

Edited by popmom

7 hours ago, Katy said:

You might check online for cheap light fleece jackets with an outer nylon (windproof) lining. They go on sale at this time of year for $10-15.

You are absolutely wrong about humidity and cold. Humidity intensifies ALL temperatures and cold will cut you to the bone. I grew up in North Florida and went to college in New England. I remember there was a freak cold snap in December of 1996. Even though it was 25-40F outside, the parka I bought for New England wasn’t warm enough to spend hours outside with my sick horse. When I went back there was STILL a colder than usual snap in New England. There was another girl in my dorm from Miami and we kept running into each other outside in tshirts and jeans in the day because 14 degrees (sunny, no wind, no humidity) felt much warmer than Florida had been for all of the 6 week winter break. 

Interesting. I’m in Alabama, and generally speaking our humidity and dew points drop dramatically with a cold snap. I guess being a few hours from the coast makes a big difference.

2 hours ago, popmom said:

I guess I’m wrong! When I run a humidifier or vaporizer in my 65 degree house, I feel warmer. But I suppose that is a lot different from 20 degrees outside. 

Idk, I’ve gotten chills in the back of the truck as a kid in the 80’s at 60 mph, and I’ve heard of tourists getting hypothermia in the summer at night when the temperature was in the 60’s on a breezy night on the beach. But idk anything about complicating factors (sunburn, medication, cotton clothing, inebriation, infections, misting fans).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, popmom said:

If the humidifier is helping YOUR hydration levels, it will make you feel warmer.

being dehydrated (even a little) will make you feel the temperatures more.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

It really pissed me off when a dr said to me "we're all a little bit autistic".  (or ADD, etc.)

That and “Do you know about Temple Grandin?” are irritants to me! 

• Like 3