Menu

Jokes & memes

Katy

1 hour ago, Terabith said:

IMG_3591.jpeg

So weird, I just read that story yesterday.  But he's not talking about Paradise.  It's a tall tale made up to make fun of a gullible man - they tell him the Parmesan mountains are in the Basque country, so northern Spain/France.  There are also rivers of wine, and magic stones.

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bookbard said:

OK, I had heard that you have guns in ordinary stores over there, but do you really sell Bibles in a grocery store?

That looks to be from a Wal-mart, so it’s not just a grocery store. Also, some of our grocery stores have large non-food sections, like books, office supplies and some hardware items. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bookbard said:

OK, I had heard that you have guns in ordinary stores over there, but do you really sell Bibles in a grocery store?

I'm giggling over here because trying to explain U.S. stores to others makes them seem absurd, don't they?

Bibles were absolutely sold at our grocery store in Texas.  Not a huge selection, 1 or 2 styles. They were by the greeting cards. I have not checked to see if they have them here. Somehow I find it very doubtful.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bookbard said:

I think that has to be photoshop.  Not that big box stores in some areas don’t sell all those things but they don’t organize them like that.  Pizza would be with other refrigerated foods.  Potatoes would be with produce.

• Like 19

5 hours ago, bookbard said:

Our last chain of “grocery” stores are closing around here. Now we just have big box stores: Walmart, Target and Meijer. They sell…everything. As many groceries as a dedicated grocery store (often more), but also clothes, books, home and car parts, school and office, furniture, crafts, party supplies, hot prepared food, bikes, guns, etc. 

6 hours ago, bookbard said:

We do sell Bibles in our grocery stores, either in a very small magazine and handful of books section or the inspirational section of greeting cards.  More children’s Bibles and New Testaments and inspirational devotions than Bibles but often a couple. This does look more like a Walmart, which is more comprehensive than most grocery stores.  I’m sure it’s regional, too. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BandH said:

I think that has to be photoshop.  Not that big box stores in some areas don’t sell all those things but they don’t organize them like that.  Pizza would be with other refrigerated foods.  Potatoes would be with produce.

And yes, I do realize that only an American would look at that and think "Of course it's fake!  Everyone knows it's not safe to keep your guns and beer and pizza together on open shelves in Walmart!  The pizza would go bad and give you food poisoning!" 

I don't shop at Walmart because there isn't a convenient one, but in my state Targets don't have guns, something I am very glad about.  However, there is a book section, and it wouldn't surprise me if there are Bibles in it.  I get my books elsewhere so I haven't really looked.  

My grocery store that isn't in Target sells magazines, but not books, so they wouldn't have Bibles.  They have religious greeting cards for at least Christians (Happy Easter!) and Jews (Congratulations on your Bat Mitzvah!).  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, BandH said:

Absolutely it's fake. I do shop at Walmart sometimes, and they do sell all those things but there are not signs for those things in the store.  Actually I'm not sure about guns anymore, but if they do, they would be Sporting Goods. 

I don't think of Walmart as a grocery store. It's really an all-purpose store. I don't like to shop there, but when I have a long and varied list, that's the most efficient place to go. I can get windshield wiper blades, personal care products, groceries (though their produce is very iffy), clothing (including sweatpants); probably a Bible in their limited book section, and grab a take-and-bake pizza for dinner.  Here in PA (AKA the Cradle of Liberty), I can't buy beer because liquor is tightly controlled by the state and only state stores and some grocery stores can sell it. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, bookbard said:

No guns in regular stores where I'm from, but yes there's usually an aisle with a few paperback books, puzzle books (crosswords and word searches), some magazines, and yep, usually at least one bible.  

• Like 1