Menu

Author Eric Carle died

RootAnn

Yes and I made the mistake of telling my kids at bedtime. I thought nothing of it as I told them when Beverly Cleary died without much of a reaction. My 8 year started crying and wanted to know why all his favorite authors were dying, first Beverly Clearly then Eric Carle. He said that he hoped Eric Carle went to heaven. 😭

• Sad 3

Awwwwww.  Draw Me a Star when you get there, Mr Carle.  What a life well lived.

If anyone has a chance to visit the Eric Carle museum in Amherst MA... it's a wonder. With or without kids.  In addition to great gobs of Carle's original collages for all the books, there are traveling exhibits of other children's illustrators and a wonderful open studio with materials for particular projects kinda-sorta loosely based on one of the current exhibits.  And a wonderful children's bookstore.

Next door to a yuge apple farm/farmers market with cider donuts and a great cafe.

• Like 11

My daughter wrote to him when she was six as part of a letters to favorite authors project. Understandably she received a form postcard for a response, but it was still special. Some of the exhibits from the museum Pam mentioned came to our city's museum for a while, and it was so cool to see his stuff in embryo, photos of him standing on a big white sheet with a broom to scoot the paint around to get that brushy effect. 🙂 When I was growing up in the nineties, his work was so omnipresent that I figured he had always been around, a classic like Laura ingalls Wilder or something. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pam in CT said:

Awwwwww.  Draw Me a Star when you get there, Mr Carle.  What a life well lived.

If anyone has a chance to visit the Eric Carle museum in Amherst MA... it's a wonder. With or without kids.  In addition to great gobs of Carle's original collages for all the books, there are traveling exhibits of other children's illustrators and a wonderful open studio with materials for particular projects kinda-sorta loosely based on one of the current exhibits.  And a wonderful children's bookstore.

Next door to a yuge apple farm/farmers market with cider donuts and a great cafe.

I was going to post about the museum as well. It is really wonderful! We got to see the Paddington Bear exhibit when we were there a couple years ago, including the original bear! 

May you Rest In Peace Mr. Carle. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pam in CT said:

What a life well lived.

This.

When my kids were little, I used to think about how authors and illustrators of children's books bring so much joy and enrichment to so many people. We'd read books like The Very Hungry Caterpillar or Brown Bear, Brown Bear so.many.times. I can still recite many of them. We'd quote them at appropriate moments, or riff off the quotes. If we're lucky, we grow up listening to our parents read them, and then have the great pleasure of reading them to our kids in due course. I hope Eric Carle and Lois Ehlert (and Virginia Lee Burton, and Robert McCloskey, and Margaret Wise Brown, and A.A. Milne and E.H. Shepard, and and and...) knew how much their contributions to generations of kids have been appreciated.

• Like 4