Menu

I just joined WW

Scarlett

If you're looking for a well-written, upbeat, realistic, and aesthetically beautiful blog about losing & maintaining weight loss, a fellow poster here @Alicia64has created The Inspired Eater, which has made a HUGE difference for me. She has links in her signature, but those don't come up on some devices; hope it's ok to share. Go check her out!

(I've been on the slowly-but-surely weight loss plan since last July, and am at ~25 pounds so far! Thrilled & thankful. About 5-7 more to go.)

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Lucy the Valiant said:

If you're looking for a well-written, upbeat, realistic, and aesthetically beautiful blog about losing & maintaining weight loss, a fellow poster here @Alicia64has created The Inspired Eater, which has made a HUGE difference for me. She has links in her signature, but those don't come up on some devices; hope it's ok to share. Go check her out!

(I've been on the slowly-but-surely weight loss plan since last July, and am at ~25 pounds so far! Thrilled & thankful. About 5-7 more to go.)

Thank you!  I think I knew about that blog but forgot about it.  Going to look now.

25 pounds is great!  I would love to lose that much.....but I will be thrilled with 15.

Edited by Scarlett
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Calm37 said:

I switched from Purple to Blue this week. The scale was just not budging. It budged with blue. I think removing potatoes and whole wheat pasta from free really helped that. I overeat with free food.

Exactly why I chose the Green.  I know myself and things like potatoes.  LOL

• Like 3

On 4/16/2021 at 9:37 AM, Lucy the Valiant said:

Lucy!!! Thank you -- that means so much to me. Upbeat? I love the word upbeat!

Seriously! ♥♥♥  (I need to print this out and save it.)

Edited by Alicia64
  • Like 8

I just joined.   It recommended the Purple plan so I'll give that a try first and if it doesn't seem to be working I'll switch.   A lot of the main things we eat a lot are free on that plan so I'll mainly be tracking dressings, sauces, and snacks.  

I have about 60 pounds to lose.  

• Like 4

So I discovered something about myself.  I think this is a new thing with me.  But apparently I am eating to cover up some anxiety and depression.  I had a really bad day on Monday.  I was on the verge of tears most of the day.  I was able to shake it off in about 24 hours, but I fell completely off the WW wagon during that time.  

This is something I need to pay closer attention to.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

So I discovered something about myself.  I think this is a new thing with me.  But apparently I am eating to cover up some anxiety and depression.  I had a really bad day on Monday.  I was on the verge of tears most of the day.  I was able to shake it off in about 24 hours, but I fell completely off the WW wagon during that time.  

I think that is very common.  Anxiety is a huge trigger for me to eat to soothe and distract myself.  

ETA - I'm sorry Monday was a difficult day for you.  Hope you're doing better today.

Edited by Kassia
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Kassia said:

I think that is very common.  Anxiety is a huge trigger for me to eat to soothe and distract myself.  

ETA - I'm sorry Monday was a difficult day for you.  Hope you're doing better today.

I don't think I use to be like this.  I am going to blame it on hormones. LOL

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Scarlett said:

I'm an anxiety eater- hence the Covid-10 of spring 2020....I blame the friend that gave us a bundt cake pan with the comment "you guys don't make enough bundt cake!" 

• Haha 2

Hello Fresh is being delivered today.  I had paused the orders for a couple of months and forgot to keep pausing...but it works out ok, because dss is working tonight and tomorrow night so it is a good meal for dh and me.  I decided to figure the points for the meals....WOW.  Crispy Parmesan Chicken/Firecracker meatballs/BBQ Cheddar Pork Burgers points are 24/26/39.  That is for one serving and  includes the sides too but still WOW!!!! 

So I will be eating half of my serving.  Even that will make it hard to stay within points for the day.

• Like 1

Changing to blue didn't budge the scale either. Discouraging. I have lost and gained this same 15 pounds too many times. It looks like I have a fight on my hands..... I am staying close to points, though, and definitely not going over with weekly points. Keep going everyone!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Calm37 said:

Changing to blue didn't budge the scale either. Discouraging. I have lost and gained this same 15 pounds too many times. It looks like I have a fight on my hands..... I am staying close to points, though, and definitely not going over with weekly points. Keep going everyone!

I am definitely not getting Hello Fresh again!  Man the points are sky high.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

I am definitely not getting Hello Fresh again!  Man the points are sky high.

It’s disappointing!

It’s sort of like when you eat out and you order the grilled chicken and you’re all proud of yourself for eating healthy, and then it turns out that they somehow managed to pack 150,000 calories into that one stupid piece of chicken. So then you spend the rest of your night wishing you had gotten the lasagna.

• Like 10

42 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

It’s disappointing!

It’s sort of like when you eat out and you order the grilled chicken and you’re all proud of yourself for eating healthy, and then it turns out that they somehow managed to pack 150,000 calories into that one stupid piece of chicken. So then you spend the rest of your night wishing you had gotten the lasagna.

This is why I hate eating out (or one reason).  There's no control over what you're eating.  I recently read a Kitchen Confidential and the author said that they use butter on everything they cook.  

• Like 3

I feel like I'm doing pretty well, but there's this cake I've been craving. There's a place near us that makes their own chocolate from scratch and then makes this delicious chocolate cake. I think I'm using my weeklies on it this week. I'm still averaging about a pound a week, which is slow but steady. It's pretty doable for me. 

• Like 5

On 4/18/2021 at 11:32 AM, Alicia64 said:

Lucy!!! Thank you -- that means so much to me. Upbeat? I love the word upbeat!

Seriously! ♥♥♥  (I need to print this out and save it.)

I love your blog.  I agree that after menopause, even maintenance is a serious sport.  I'm at a good weight, but trying to lose 2 pounds. Yes TWO.  And I can't do it.  Sigh. Been trying for about 4 months now.  I think I need to implement your idea of pick a plan and stick with it. 

• Like 1

On 4/23/2021 at 3:09 PM, Kassia said:

This is why I hate eating out (or one reason).  There's no control over what you're eating.  I recently read a Kitchen Confidential and the author said that they use butter on everything they cook. 

Soooo much butter!! I was just reminded of this Yesterday.  I had my wisdom teeth removed earlier in the week so hadn't been eating much.  So when I was ready to chew I went to my favorite breakfast place for the seafood hash.  So good but so obviously just dripping in butter.  It kind of upset my tummy since I haven't eaten like that in awhile.

• Like 2

I've been tracking closely and I actually bumped up my exercise to 45 minutes twice a week 30 minutes 3 times a week and included some weight training. 

I managed to lose 4 pounds, so that is positive for me. 

I'm also fasting much more often (usually 2-3 meals a week) and trying to not eat till 10:30 or so in the morning. That pushes lunch back and keeps me from munching in the afternoon, which is a bad habit I've gotten into. 

• Like 3

I lost 2.6 pounds my first week.  At one point during the week (I weigh daily) I was actually lower but I always get slightly off on the weekends, and tend to fluctuate a lot.   I used very few weekly points but all daily and some fit for the week.   This week is going to be harder because we had dinner for dd's birthday last night.   I used all my daily and some of my weekly.  It would have been better if I kept my week start on Mondays but Sunday works better for me most of the time.  

I do pretty well with exercise.  I need to up strength training and move up to more rigorous exercise. 

• Like 2

After two weeks of not tracking anything and eating dessert almost every day, I’m up a pound and a half. Not as bad is it could be I guess. Back at it this morning with a healthy breakfast. I need to stay focused on actually nourishing my body rather than just eating foods with low points. It’s easy to slip into just eating low points foods and not thinking through what I’m eating to make sure it’s balanced. I think that might have contributed to some major cravings and feeling very hungry a couple of weeks ago. So this morning’s breakfast is eggs and zucchini sautéed in some butter with fruit. Fat, carbs, protein, fruit and vegetable. My goal this week is making sure each meal contains all macros and vegetables and/or fruit. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, 2ndGenHomeschooler said:

After two weeks of not tracking anything and eating dessert almost every day, I’m up a pound and a half. Not as bad is it could be I guess. Back at it this morning with a healthy breakfast. I need to stay focused on actually nourishing my body rather than just eating foods with low points. It’s easy to slip into just eating low points foods and not thinking through what I’m eating to make sure it’s balanced. I think that might have contributed to some major cravings and feeling very hungry a couple of weeks ago. So this morning’s breakfast is eggs and zucchini sautéed in some butter with fruit. Fat, carbs, protein, fruit and vegetable. My goal this week is making sure each meal contains all macros and vegetables and/or fruit. 

This is what I need as well.  My normal breakfast of 1/2 Cup Plain Greek yogurt, 1/2 banana, 1 cup of berries and 2 TBLE chia seeds is very nutritious and gets my day off to a good start. 4 points.  I get sick of it after a couple weeks straight.  I need some alternate breakfast ideas that are healthy and not too high in points. This morning I had 1/2 of a veggie egg scramble with I believe is about 8 points.   Way more than I want to spend on breakfast but pretty filling.  

We hit the food trucks yesterday and I did not feel like I overate but that is some super rich food.  

On 4/25/2021 at 9:12 PM, lewelma said:

I love your blog.  I agree that after menopause, even maintenance is a serious sport.  I'm at a good weight, but trying to lose 2 pounds. Yes TWO.  And I can't do it.  Sigh. Been trying for about 4 months now.  I think I need to implement your idea of pick a plan and stick with it. 

Thank you for liking the blog. ♥ Every other day I worry wondering, is this too first-world-ish?

Here's the thing: once you're down to a low weight, it's much more difficult to lose the pounds. It doesn't surprise me at all that losing two is tough.

I've been guinea-pigging the "royal" eating plan for months now: breakfast like a king, lunch like a princess, and dinner like a pauper. And it works. I'm sold. Especially if you combine the royal plan with intermittent fasting, you'll lose.

So fun to have someone from NZ aboard!!

Edited by Alicia64
grammar
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Alicia64 said:

Thank you for liking the blog. ♥ Every other day I worry wondering, is this too first-world-ish?

Here's the thing: once you're down to a low weight, it's much more difficult to lose the pounds. It doesn't surprise me at all that losing two is be tough.

I've been guinea-pigging the "royal" eating plan for months now: breakfast like a king, lunch like a princess, and dinner like a pauper. And it works. I'm sold. Especially if you combine the royal plan with intermittent fasting, you'll lose.

So fun to have someone from NZ aboard!!

I watched my mother gain 5 pounds a year for 15 years, which I swore I would never do. It was just the very slow creeping up.  So after losing my baby weight (30 extra pounds with my last, oopsie), I settled on a good weight and have vowed to keep it.  Every year, I go on the 2 pound diet, and for the last 2 years, I have had to go on the 2 pound diet twice a year. It takes me 3 months to lose 2 pounds. And it is getting worse.  I can definitely see how perimenopausal women gain weight. UG. I've tried WW, intermittent fasting (both on the daily and weekly timescales), Keto, etc. But I have learned that my best option is just counting calories.  I need to keep to 1000-1200/day with a 1 hour walk to lose weight at any sort of speed. Sigh.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, lewelma said:

I watched my mother gain 5 pounds a year for 15 years, which I swore I would never do. It was just the very slow creeping up.  So after losing my baby weight (30 extra pounds with my last, oopsie), I settled on a good weight and have vowed to keep it.  Every year, I go on the 2 pound diet, and for the last 2 years, I have had to go on the 2 pound diet twice a year. It takes me 3 months to lose 2 pounds. And it is getting worse.  I can definitely see how perimenopausal women gain weight. UG. I've tried WW, intermittent fasting (both on the daily and weekly timescales), Keto, etc. But I have learned that my best option is just counting calories.  I need to keep to 1000-1200/day with a 1 hour walk to lose weight at any sort of speed. Sigh.

Yep. This is me. My dh literally eats 3 times as much as me and doesn’t gain and it makes me really want to cry. I just want to have a scoop of ice cream once a week.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, lewelma said:

It takes me 3 months to lose 2 pounds. And it is getting worse. 

5 minutes ago, fairfarmhand said:

Yep. This is me. My dh literally eats 3 times as much as me and doesn’t gain and it makes me really want to cry. I just want to have a scoop of ice cream once a week.

Me too.  I gained 6 pounds during the holidays and can't take them off no matter what I do.  It's so frustrating.  But I indulge one day and...BAM...the scale is up and I have to work so hard just to get it back to the darn 6 pound gain.  It's so frustrating!  So easy to gain, so hard to lose.

• Like 2

Yep. So true everyone.  I really really want to lose at least 5 pounds before a wedding on May 21.   

I have got to change my mindset about food or something.  If I go without food completely I do get lightheaded even just sitting at my desk.  Trouble is I only need to eat like 5 bites of food to solve that problem.  Who only wants  to eat 5 bites of food?  I would rather do without. 

Also we are going to my best friends house next weekend! How can I do that and watch my points.  Sigh.  

• Like 1

Have you checked out the Eat To Perform program?  It focuses on eating to fuel your body, getting out of the damaging dieting cycle, and having a healthy relationship with food.

There are free podcasts to learn more about it and you can talk to a coach to see if it might work for you.  I've been using it for a few months and while it takes a bit to get used to, I do think they have a great program.  

Edited by jen3kids
clarity
  • Like 2

On 4/26/2021 at 9:39 AM, 2ndGenHomeschooler said:

So this morning’s breakfast is eggs and zucchini sautéed in some butter with fruit. Fat, carbs, protein, fruit and vegetable. 

That sounds like a perfect breakfast to me even if I wasn't doing WW. I also love eggs with sauteed peppers and onions. If I have fresh basil I add that. A tablespoon of grated Locatelli brand pecorino romano is only 1 point on Blue, and I usually don't even use a whole tbs. When I don't feel like cooking breakfast I usually just have lowfat Greek yogurt or cottage cheese with some fruit. I don't like low fat cottage cheese so it gives me a higher point breakfast. I try not to do that too often even though it's quick and easy. Sometimes I just prefer it over yogurt though.

20 hours ago, lewelma said:

I watched my mother gain 5 pounds a year for 15 years, which I swore I would never do. It was just the very slow creeping up.  

I had my one and only late in life then started perimenopause just a few years later. Those two things combined with the fact that I became a sahm and therefore was home all day to graze, and before I knew it pound creep got me. What I'm now trying to do with WW is get rid of 20+ years of pound creep. 

• Like 1

I make a skillet frittata for breakfast that lasts for 3 days. 1 potato diced and boiled, 1 onion stir fried, 1 zucchini, 1 carrot slightly cooked, 1 cup broccoli microwaved, 1 tomato, 4 eggs, 1/4 cup almond milk, a bit of salt.  Bake 350 for 15 minutes or whatever.

I then make up a sauce for it that I freeze in batches to last 2 weeks - 1 onion, scoop garlic, 1 jar passada, salt, spices.  simmer. freeze.

I cut the frittata into 6 pieces, and have 2 small breakfasts 2 hours apart with a 1/6th size piece and a scoop of sauce, which feels generous. 

Calories are low, but it is delicious, healthy, and filling and I can cook ahead so easy to microwave. 

• Like 2

On 4/26/2021 at 8:39 AM, 2ndGenHomeschooler said:

Sounds delicious.

30 minutes ago, lewelma said:

I make a skillet frittata for breakfast that lasts for 3 days. 1 potato diced and boiled, 1 onion stir fried, 1 zucchini, 1 carrot slightly cooked, 1 cup broccoli microwaved, 1 tomato, 4 eggs, 1/4 cup almond milk, a bit of salt.  Bake 350 for 15 minutes or whatever.

I then make up a sauce for it that I freeze in batches to last 2 weeks - 1 onion, scoop garlic, 1 jar passada, salt, spices.  simmer. freeze.

I cut the frittata into 6 pieces, and have 2 small breakfasts 2 hours apart with a 1/6th size piece and a scoop of sauce, which feels generous. 

Calories are low, but it is delicious, healthy, and filling and I can cook ahead so easy to microwave. 

Sounds really good!

The key to WW for me in the past is to make sure that I have point free food ready in the frig.  My frittata and sauce is <1 egg and <1/4 potato per serving with just a ton of vegis.  I don't remember the details as to how the different color programs count it, but it is low. 

I also premake my pork patties and freeze them.  My dh makes up about 50 at a time out on the BBQ. ground pork plus a ton of vegis in them (cilantro stems, carrots, green onion, etc). So for lunch I just pull out 2 or 3 and microwave them. That plus salad and a tiny potato is enough.

A huge bowl of salad is made and ready.  Homemade salad dressing with healthy oil is premade and ready. And since I am gluten free, I premake my masa cakes every other morning for my bread. 

Don't ever open a frig and wonder what you will eat. That is a recipe for disaster. 

• Like 2

I have to get some low point snacks to have at work.   I'm looking at various protein/granola bars but I get headaches from certain ingredients so I'm sure it's going to be a lot of trial and error.

Breakfast I had scrambled eggs with salsa.  Only a couple points for the butter and milk since eggs and salsa are zero points.   Dh makes me oatmeal about once/twice a month.  A whole pot that I then put in containers to microwave in the morning.  It's quite a few points but very very healthy so I go with it for a week or so.  

• Like 1

I have two go-to's on days I'm just hungry. One is a breakfast burrito. Eggs, black beans, and salsa are all free on blue. Then a 1pt Tortilla, 3pts for 2 slices of bacon (usually pre-made and in tiny pieces by me ahead of time) and 1pt for cheese. 5pts in all and is really yummy. Less bacon if I don't have the points that day. 

My other is grits. I don't know what it is but grits are crazy filling. So maybe 4pts of grits, 2 fried eggs and 1pt  butter spread on top. Bacon if I can afford the points. 

• Like 2

Can anyone link to the check-in thread that was started?  I can't find it.  Or is it time for a new one for May.

I've lost 7 pounds in two weeks.  This is still the weight I had gained in the past few months so we'll see how it goes when I get to my previous high. 

I haven’t started one.  We can keep using this one.

I am doing terrible.  I have to get my mind right.  Well yesterday I did ok, I had one yogurt, a container of hummus and pretzels (single serving) and then a slider and jalapeño poppers at Arby’s.  I only ate half the bread of the slider.  All of that was 30 points which is my total for the day.  Then I had some 3 point popcorn near bedtime.  

Today though, dh’s oldest son is coming for the afternoon with the baby and wife.  Dh is smoking ribs and salmon, I am making a big green salad and roasted broccoli.  And baked potatoes.  And I made dessert.  Millionaire pie.  It is one of my favorites and I know I will find it very hard to resist.  I need to figure the points on it right now.  

I bought yogurt and a lot of fruit to get me going for the coming week though.  Then next weekend  we are going to my best friends house.  It is always something.  I have to learn to get through each of these special days without blowing it.  

11 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

I haven’t started one.  We can keep using this one. 

Someone else started it but I can't remember who.

I'm good with sticking with this one, it's easier for me to find this post since I've commented.

-Just remember it's meant to be a lifestyle not a punishment.  There will be ups and downs and celebrations.   I'm trying to do as well as I can now because July starts a stretch of birthdays, plus once I'm mostly off for the summer I don't get as much passive exercise just doing my job so I'll have to work at it more.  I'm trying to build habits now so it will be easier to keep them going when my routine changes.

Honestly what's probably going to help me most is I've "paid" for WW through July.  I did a 6 months with the first 3 months free that I'd have to pay back if I cancel.   I think this will keep me from just giving up if I have a really bad week.   

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Wheres Toto said:

Someone else started it but I can't remember who.

I'm good with sticking with this one, it's easier for me to find this post since I've commented.

-Just remember it's meant to be a lifestyle not a punishment.  There will be ups and downs and celebrations.   I'm trying to do as well as I can now because July starts a stretch of birthdays, plus once I'm mostly off for the summer I don't get as much passive exercise just doing my job so I'll have to work at it more.  I'm trying to build habits now so it will be easier to keep them going when my routine changes.

Honestly what's probably going to help me most is I've "paid" for WW through July.  I did a 6 months with the first 3 months free that I'd have to pay back if I cancel.   I think this will keep me from just giving up if I have a really bad week.   

Yes, I do remember it is a lifestyle.  Smoked salmon is one of my favorites and low in points.  Big green vegetable salad is zero before dressing....so it won’t be to difficult. 

The pie though! 16 points!

So I really did not do terrible yesterday.  Our oldest came and brought his wife and baby....we had a good time.  I had one rib, a serving of salmon, big green salad with 2 points on dressing....1/16 piece of pie (8 points) .  I skipped the potato all together.  I had a couple bites of appetizer ( pita chips and spinchage/artichoke/cheese dip , but I definitely did not over do it on that.   All in all I probably went over maybe 5 points for the day ( I was very good for breakfast and lunch) and that is what the flex points are for--days like this.

And then last night, friends invited us to go tonight to eat mexican food on the patio.  We haven't been out to dinner with them in a year so we are excited.  But again, I don't want to blow my week on one meal out.  So I am carefully thinking about what I am going to eat.  

How's everyone doing? At my weigh-in this week I was officially down 16lbs total since the end of February. Slow and steady but consistent progress and I'm happy with it. I've been experimenting with using my weekly points too, which I've mostly avoided doing before. So far the results have been good and I've been happy with more wiggle room for my favorite desserts. 

Now I just need to figure out how to serve the Salisbury steaks we got in a WW-friendly way. 😊

• Like 3

4 hours ago, MeaganS said:

How's everyone doing? At my weigh-in this week I was officially down 16lbs total since the end of February. Slow and steady but consistent progress and I'm happy with it. I've been experimenting with using my weekly points too, which I've mostly avoided doing before. So far the results have been good and I've been happy with more wiggle room for my favorite desserts. 

Now I just need to figure out how to serve the Salisbury steaks we got in a WW-friendly way. 😊

Well  Dh and I spent the weekend with friends.there was dinner out at an Italian restaurant Friday night , margaritas at noon on Saturday, prime rib/ mashed potatoes/ brown mushroom gravy with fresh greens Saturday night.  And late lunch at a brewery on Sunday. So I would say I completely fell off the wagon. 
Back on tomorrow.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Well  Dh and I spent the weekend with friends.there was dinner out at an Italian restaurant Friday night , margaritas at noon on Saturday, prime rib/ mashed potatoes/ brown mushroom gravy with fresh greens Saturday night.  And late lunch at a brewery on Sunday. So I would say I completely fell off the wagon. 
Back on tomorrow.

Yes, I had an interesting weekend, too. I saved all my extra points for the weekend, but......

Did finally have the scale budge a pound, so I'm hoping it has "stayed budged" when I weigh in tomorrow. 

• Like 2

I’m forever “up and down”. I’ll have a good week where I stay on track, cook all the healthy, filling, low point foods, walk every day, and lose a pound or two, then I’ll have an off week where I gain a pound back. Ugh. Usually it’s just because it takes so much thought and effort to really do it right. Right now, at the end of the school year, I’m running short on the energy to put that kind of thought and effort in. I keep reminding myself though that I AM down a consistent 15 pounds from when I started 9 months ago. It’s not huge progress but it IS progress. 

Last week was a “down” week so I’m expecting a gain when I get on the scale this morning. I’m going to try to turn that around this week. 

• Like 2

We did not get groceries yesterday, so I did not even have my normal yogurt/fruit/chia seeds this morning. My friend gave me a TON of instant oatmeal and I brought one to work.  I haven't eaten it yet.....I just looked it up and it is 5 points.  But 4 gm of fiber which is good.  I need to add my chia seeds to it as well, so that adds 3 points.  8 points for breakfast is not my favorite way to start out.  But supper tonight is salmon, broccoli and sweet potato and that can be a very low point meal.  Just have to get through lunch and then I will be picking up a grocery order after work.