Menu

I just joined WW

Scarlett

5 hours ago, 2ndGenHomeschooler said:

Right now, at the end of the school year, I’m running short on the energy to put that kind of thought and effort in. I keep reminding myself though that I AM down a consistent 15 pounds from when I started 9 months ago. It’s not huge progress but it IS progress.

Down fifteen in nine months is a huge accomplishment! I truly believe: the slower, the better.

I tried to look at plateaus as my body needing time to adjust to my new weight. (If I lost too fast, my body would think, she's starving!!, take control and dunk me in ice cream until I gained the weight back.)

• Like 3

I am on week two of the blue plan. I have had to modify it greatly. I was only able to stay within my points (23) for the first day. Then I became absolutely starving all day long for the next several days. Seriously, I was hitting 60+ points and still felt like I hadn't eaten in weeks. DH suggested I make (lean, grass-fed) beef free because beef turns down my hunger in a way chicken and turkey never do. That has helped, as has the realization that beans are free. I also decided to gradually lower my points. Today's goal is a maximum of 45 points. I need to find a point value I can stick with for the rest of the year. Their suggested points just wasn't going to work.

ETA: I wore a continuous glucose monitor, and my blood sugar was hovering in the 60s all day. No wonder I was starving!

Edited by JumpyTheFrog
  • Like 3

59 minutes ago, JumpyTheFrog said:

I am on week two of the blue plan. I have had to modify it greatly. I was only able to stay within my points (23) for the first day. Then I became absolutely starving all day long for the next several days. Seriously, I was hitting 60+ points and still felt like I hadn't eaten in weeks. DH suggested I make (lean, grass-fed) beef free because beef turns down my hunger in a way chicken and turkey never do. That has helped, as has the realization that beans are free. I also decided to gradually lower my points. Today's goal is a maximum of 45 points. I need to find a point value I can stick with for the rest of the year. Their suggested points just wasn't going to work.

ETA: I wore a continuous glucose monitor, and my blood sugar was hovering in the 60s all day. No wonder I was starving!

23 points seems way too low.  No wonder you were starving.

How does a continuous glucose monitor work?  Maybe I should look this up...

1 hour ago, Alicia64 said:

I truly believe: the slower, the better.

my body would think, she's starving!!, take control and dunk me in ice cream

I agree on the slow weight loss. 

Doesn't your body always think that way?  Mine does.  It's a constant battle.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Alicia64 said:

Down fifteen in nine months is a huge accomplishment! I truly believe: the slower, the better.

I tried to look at plateaus as my body needing time to adjust to my new weight. (If I lost too fast, my body would think, she's starving!!, take control and dunk me in ice cream until I gained the weight back.)

I have tried to think this way too. I don’t want to destroy my metabolism or mess up my hormones in an attempt to lose weight, so slow is probably better. Losing a little, then maintaining that, then losing a little more will hopefully give my body time to adjust to a new, lower weight and keep my metabolism running. I’m not willing to severely cut calories to lose weight. I don’t think it’s healthy and it certainly doesn’t fit my lifestyle.   So I’m trying to be content and happy with a slow loss and gradually changing over my lifestyle to be healthier. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Kassia said:

How does a continuous glucose monitor work?  Maybe I should look this up...

I only get 16 points a day, and 28 weekly, on Purple. There’s enough free foods that it’s doable without leaving me hungry. It takes a lot of work though to put together meals that are low in points but also fill me up.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, 2ndGenHomeschooler said:

I only get 16 points a day, and 28 weekly, on Purple. There’s enough free foods that it’s doable without leaving me hungry. It takes a lot of work though to put together meals that are low in points but also fill me up.

Yeah, I get 25 daily and 42 weekly on blue. It has to do with free foods. You have to work them in and it definitely takes work to figure out. For example, I made white chicken chili today. Chicken, beans, etc were free and other ingredients were 1pt per serving. That, with some Tortilla chips made for a filling 6pt dinner. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, 2ndGenHomeschooler said:

Maybe I shouldn't have posted that - I'm not familiar at all with the new points system and don't know how the free foods work. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kassia said:

Maybe I shouldn't have posted that - I'm not familiar at all with the new points system and don't know how the free foods work. 

There are a lot of free foods on purple. All fruit and vegetables (including potatoes), eggs, chicken, fish, non fat dairy, beans, brown rice, oatmeal...It’s definitely possible to eat well with the free foods but it’s not always easy. I think the green plan only has fruit and vegetables (not including potatoes) free. You get more points, but not enough in my opinion. I think I would be hungry all the time if I was doing green. Blue is somewhere in the middle. I tried it for a while but it just wasn’t a good combination of free foods/points for me. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Kassia said:

The more free foods there are the fewer points you get.  I am on the green plan, so I get 30 daily points and  most fruits and non starchy veggies are free.  

Wine is not free on any plan apparently.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 5/9/2021 at 7:01 PM, MeaganS said:

How's everyone doing? At my weigh-in this week I was officially down 16lbs total since the end of February. Slow and steady but consistent progress and I'm happy with it.

Dh and I went on a mini vacation last week to the other side of the state (about a 3 hour drive). The place where we stayed had a full kitchen so we ate a few meals there but of course also ate out in order to experience some of the local restaurants. I didn't count points but just tried to do my best when choosing what to order. We got back late last Thursday, so Friday and Saturday were catching up on laundry and replenishing the refrigerator, etc.. I decided to just start over on Monday - my weigh in day. I only gained 1/2 pound back so I'm considering that a success.

Today I'm doing some meal prep lunches from the Skinnytaste website and her meal prep cookbook as well as a few mason jar salads. I also need to plan some reasonable/low point dinners or we end up ordering out, and that's when I have a hard time keeping to my points allocation. 

I did a WW trial in 2018, stopped, then started again this year. If I count my weight from 2018 I lost 18 pounds (in three years ugh!). If I count from when I started again this year I lost 11 pounds since January, I'm also good with slow and steady. I want to lose 10 more pounds before I go to maintenance.

• Like 2

On 5/10/2021 at 3:19 PM, Kassia said:

23 is common on blue. As others said, it has to do with free foods. But it's also based on your current weight, age,activity level, and how much you want to lose. I get 23 daily and 32 weekly. Others get more, some get less.

I started on green with 30 daily points (can't remember how many weeklies) but it just wasn't working for me. Even with 30 I was going over all the time. I eat most of the zero point foods anyway. Purple was too low for me and blue seems just right. I can eat beans, vegetables, fruit, chicken, fish, and more without using points. I save my points for those things I refuse to give up, like pasta or full fat half and half in my coffee.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

How is everyone doing?  I am doing horrible...I have lost maybe 3 pounds and I am just not sticking to the points at all!  This week I have really tried to reel it in and I feel better.  I had 4 or 5 points left over twice this week and I have 22 of my 30 ( I think 30 is correct) weeklies left.  

• Like 1

I lost 12 pounds and seem to have stopped. I want to lose 8 more but am at a plateau. 

My trial of WW runs out this month and I plan to switch to iTrack Bites. I've been using both so I can get used to the new one and have been slowly dropping my use of WW. I did buy the premium version of iTrack Bites but it's still much cheaper than the monthly WW fee.

• Like 1

Horrible is a good word. I have basically given up, although not "overeating given up." I got stuck fairly quickly at 175.8. I weigh twice a week and for two months every time - 175.8. No it's not the scale. 🙂

I switched to two different routines during this time, no change.

I am glad I'm not gaining, but wow. Not discouraged, just done with counting points for sure. I stopped two weeks ago, again - no change.