Menu

Book a Week 2020 - BW50: 13 Things

Robin M

Happy Sunday dear hearts!  Today is the 13th which reminds me that 2021 will be our thirteenth year of 52 books in 52 weeks. I'm excited for the new year and I'll post more about it later in the week.  

thirteen%2Bthings.png

So what is it about the number 13?  Do you think of it as lucky, unlucky, or just a number? Well! 

13 is a prime number as well as a emirp, a happy number, a star number, one of the three Wilson primes, as well as a Fibonacci number. You and your kids may appreciate these 13 fun books about math and numbers.

Zeus was the thirteenth and most powerful of the Greek Gods.  Hmm! Makes me wonder who is the 13th Major Roman God.   Perhaps we need to move forward to explore any year xx13 or delve into the 13th Century.

How about reading a story with 13 in the title or is the 13th book in a series.  Check off another book in your TBR pile by reading the 13th book on one of your physical, virtual, or goodreads shelves.

Remember what it was like to become a teenager? Oh, the teenage angst!

There are approximately 13 moon cycles in the year as well as 13 weeks in each season – “Winter, Spring, Summer, and Fall, all you have to do is call and I'll be there, yes I will."  Whoops, say hello James Taylor

In a deck of 52 cards, there are 13 cards in each suit of heartsdiamonds, spades, and clubs.

Numerology wise, 13 is a number of focus and pragmatism.

And for those who love Doctor Who, 13 Doctor Who Books to get you through 2020!

Have fun exploring! Rabbit trails are a must!  

Link to week 49

Visit  52 Books in 52 Weeks where you can find all the information on the annual, mini and perpetual challenges, as well as share your book reviews with other readers  around the globe.

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Grr! I have a love/hate relationship with blogger now.  I lost half my links last night and had to redo this morning. Hmm?  A by product of the number 13?  I think not.  Just blogger messing up since they new and improved it. As we all know, when something is new and improved, it's generally worse than before.  Oh well! Not to worry. 

I'm currently reading Aunt Bessie Assumes by Diana Xarissa, a kindle unlimited book and the first book in her Isle of Man series.  Set in 1998, it is another Miss Marple type of character who is elderly and knows all the 'skeet' on the isle.  (X for a to z by author)

For my 10th historical fiction read, waiting in the wings is Fraternity of Brothers (#1 Life of Galen) by Marina Pacheco.  Another KU book

"Medieval Europe, 996 AD. Fifteen-year-old Galen survived a horrendous assault, only to be exiled by his family. Taken in by monks and grateful to be spared as a suspected sinner from the execution block, he ekes out a lonely existence of unrelenting pain. But he gains a chance to prove himself worthy when a famous young illustrator arrives at the abbey and selects him to help with an important manuscript.

Thrilled to be handpicked for his superb scribing skills, Galen fears the other members of the order will sabotage his newfound fellowship with their whispered accusations. But when more brutal attacks rock the quiet community, a confrontation with his assailant might force him to finally speak his truth.

Will Galen find his voice and triumph over trauma and tragedy?"

Plus delving back into Cherie Priest's Boneshaker (steampunk) 

We watched Thor: Ragnarok last night which was really good although a bit silly at times, in our ongoing MCU chronological movie viewing. 

• Like 4

Sqee!  I found it.  What is it you say?  Well, I had an idea for our book travels for 2021. Since we've taken many different forms of transportation, I decided a steampunk airship would be the way to go.  Fun huh.  Well, look at this.  Plus there's a short animation of it flying. So very cool! 

steampunk_flying_aircraft_by_jamis27_d5frzd7-pre.jpg

Kudos go to Jamis27 at  https://www.deviantart.com/jamis27/art/steampunk-flying-aircraft-328830667

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 9

Another anniversary: this is the 100th anniversary of J.R.R. Tolkien's 1st Father Christmas letter!

J.R.R. Tolkien's oldest son John was just 3 years old when Tolkien wrote this letter and created the lovely illustrations on behalf of Father Christmas in 1920. How many people J.R.R. has blessed with Middle-earth! Here's a special wish for his lesser-known world of Father Nicholas Christmas (F.C.) and the North Polar Bear (N.P.B): Happy 100 years, F.C. and N.B.P! May you live on to bless generations for 100 x 100 years! 😄 

letter.jpg

illustration.jpg

envelope.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I was born on a 13th and married on a 13th, so it seems like a good number to me! 😉

Not books, but the film Thirteen Conversations About One Thing (2001) is a discussion-worthy little independent film. There are both hard and tragic choices in the film as well as redeeming and positive choices. Rated R for mature topics, so one to watch with a spouse and or older teen for discussing.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Some bookish posts ~

Podcast (written transcript also available): Fashion, History, and Romance with Kimberly Chrisman-Campbell

https://smartbitchestrashybooks.com/podcast/435-fashion-history-and-romance-with-kimberly-chrisman-campbell/#comment-862067

For readers of regency romances, from the Word Wenches: A Beastly Quiz — more Regency slang

https://wordwenches.typepad.com/word_wenches/2020/12/beastly-quiz.html#comments

Five Books About the “Real” Afghanistan

https://bookmarks.reviews/five-books-about-the-real-afghanistan/

50 Biographies Everyone Should Read

https://worldlygentleman.com/2020/08/28/50-biographies-everyone-should-read/

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

I just finished 3 books.

First was one I struggled a bit with.   **ck Feelings  It was one a friend of mine really wanted me to read as she really enjoyed it.  The style of writing was not what I can easily read, but I will say the second half was better....either I got used to it or it really was better.   There were some good and useful points in the book, but as a Christian, I feel there are much better options out there.  2-3 stars.

The second book she gave me was MUCH better.   Never Broken:  Songs are Only Half the Story by Jewel  I had never heard of Jewel but she was a famous singer/songwriter in the mid to late 90s and then again later.  Even though I knew nothing about her and was checking out her music on youtube, I LOVED the book.  Again, not a Christian book, so I disagree with some of her conclusions and ideas, but reading her story was very powerful.  It gives insight into those from rough backgrounds that will do anything for love and acceptance.  A solid 4+ stars.

The third book was one I got as part of a series.  Everybody, Always by Bob Goff  This is his second book, after Love Does.   I listened to it as an audio book.  It was enjoyable and worth the listen, but not lifechanging for me as some claim.  Still, a good listen.  3-4 stars.

• Like 6

Getting all my Christmas shopping done and cards prepared and realized we're missing quite a few BAWer's.   They either haven't said hello lately or got lost perhaps in the WTM shuffle.  Come out, come out, where ever you are and say hello, let us know what you've been up too.  We miss you.

@JennW in SoCal @aggieamy @Nan in Mass @Loesje22000  @Dicentra @tuesdayschild @Pen @Excelsior! Academy  @vmsurbat1 @Matryoshka

😘

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I have been pretty busy attempting to finish this years challenges so have read quite a mixture in the past week......

I read my fix book ever by CJ Box and will definitely be reading more.  Good basic thriller/suspense,  apparently I have been missing out as I really liked this one and have skipped over these books by this author for years.  Yay! to my book chain challenge which made me go looking for the word Box.  I actually listened to Back of Beyond https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10134217-back-of-beyond and enjoyed the narration too.  

The next really good find is Tuesday Mooney Talks to Ghosts which I did have marked as a to read so I suspect someone here recommended it at some point.  I located it on a list of humorous books and decided to use it for my bingo card.  I wanted to use something that someone beyond me found funny and this book was just cute but qualifies because of the list!😉. That said I loved that sweet funny book,  for me it was a slight step down from Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie good.  No idea why it reminded me of Sweetness but it did so decided to mention it in my review. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/42478640-tuesday-mooney-talks-to-ghosts

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Dreamergal said:

I will be a bit silent starting today as I evaluate the year usually at this point in time and this year certainly has layers to unravel.

I am reading a lot of Christmas books and taking it easy.

Thanks for this thread, it has made me expand broad and deep in such a short time and I have cherished it especially this year.

Take your time and Merry Christmas. Enjoy your contemplation and your books. 😘

3 hours ago, Lori D. said:

Another anniversary: this is the 100th anniversary of J.R.R. Tolkien's 1st Father Christmas letter!

How neat, love it.  Feel like I failed you this year with dropping the ball on the Tolkien read.  Thank you so very much for all your input and wonderful thoughts on the stories.  😘

3 hours ago, Lori D. said:

I was born on a 13th and married on a 13th, so it seems like a good number to me! 😉

Not books, but the film Thirteen Conversations About One Thing (2001) is a discussion-worthy little independent film. There are both hard and tragic choices in the film as well as redeeming and positive choices. Rated R for mature topics, so one to watch with a spouse and or older teen for discussing.

Yes, a very good number indeed.  Thank you and will check out Thirteen Conversations.  Although I'd had 13 going on 30 on my list for watching for a while. 🙂

1 hour ago, Kareni said:

Currently FREE for Kindle readers ~

Bark! The Herald Angels Sing (The Dogfather Book 8) by Roxanne St. Claire

Roxanne's Dogfather series is wonderful and standalone for  the most part, but give them a try ladies, especially if you like dogs. 

1 hour ago, Ottakee said:

I just finished 3 books.

First was one I struggled a bit with.   **ck Feelings  It was one a friend of mine really wanted me to read as she really enjoyed it.  The style of writing was not what I can easily read, but I will say the second half was better....either I got used to it or it really was better.   There were some good and useful points in the book, but as a Christian, I feel there are much better options out there.  2-3 stars.

The second book she gave me was MUCH better.   Never Broken:  Songs are Only Half the Story by Jewel  I had never heard of Jewel but she was a famous singer/songwriter in the mid to late 90s and then again later.  Even though I knew nothing about her and was checking out her music on youtube, I LOVED the book.  Again, not a Christian book, so I disagree with some of her conclusions and ideas, but reading her story was very powerful.  It gives insight into those from rough backgrounds that will do anything for love and acceptance.  A solid 4+ stars.

The third book was one I got as part of a series.  Everybody, Always by Bob Goff  This is his second book, after Love Does.   I listened to it as an audio book.  It was enjoyable and worth the listen, but not lifechanging for me as some claim.  Still, a good listen.  3-4 stars.

Yes, Jewel was popular awhile ago. The 90's sound so very far away for some reason. Hee. Will have to check out her book. Thanks!

• Like 4

Still enjoying the Mary Russell & Sherlock Holmes novels....while crocheting a cancer hat for a friend who's dealing with chem....3rd woman this year in my age group who's faced with this crap. As long as the pattern is simple and repetitive and I have the book on my kindle, I'm good. The other reason I am FOCUSED on crocheting is that my husband has attacked my bookshelves. Yes, they needed clearing the dusting....but he is making a HUGE mess, insists on single-shelving (I am the opposite on that one!) and can't understand why I still hold onto picture books. If I go in there, I won't be able to contain myself, so I am triple-timing to distract myself: tv reruns, crocheting (with a little, tiny hook, which slows things down) AND reading. So far, so good. I am working on flowers for the hat now.

I have finished "The First Rule of 10" -- a detective story based in LA in which the featured character is an escapee from a Tibetan monastery, Tenzig Norbu. Lots of references to meditation and the universe bringing you what you need, which mixes rather well with solving the case through unexpected connections. The author team includes an older guy who's a spiritual advisor and a woman who's a writer, Hendricks & Lindsay.

Ah, I also have a book recommended by my friend in chemo called "How Not to Die" which is about proper nutrition and life habits. Today is day 1 of our renewed lockdown, joy oh joy, and I should get *plenty* of reading done this week while avoiding the bookcase infringement. LOL

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, mumto2 said:

I read my fix book ever by CJ Box and will definitely be reading more.  Good basic thriller/suspense,  apparently I have been missing out as I really liked this one and have skipped over these books by this author for years

I have Open Season, #1 in his Joe Picket series in my stacks, although Back of Beyond looks good as well. Glad to hear you enjoyed his writing. Moving it up in my stacks.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Robin M said:

Yes, Jewel was popular awhile ago. The 90's sound so very far away for some reason. Hee. Will have to check out her book. Thanks!

The book was very good.  I have friends that lived near her in Alaska so her stories matched some of their experiences.   Also, her story was just very relatable for me.  Even though her music isn't something I ever listened too, I loved the book

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Laurel-in-CA said:

Still enjoying the Mary Russell & Sherlock Holmes novels....while crocheting a cancer hat for a friend who's dealing with chem....3rd woman this year in my age group who's faced with this crap. As long as the pattern is simple and repetitive and I have the book on my kindle, I'm good. The other reason I am FOCUSED on crocheting is that my husband has attacked my bookshelves. Yes, they needed clearing the dusting....but he is making a HUGE mess, insists on single-shelving (I am the opposite on that one!) and can't understand why I still hold onto picture books. If I go in there, I won't be able to contain myself, so I am triple-timing to distract myself: tv reruns, crocheting (with a little, tiny hook, which slows things down) AND reading. So far, so good. I am working on flowers for the hat now.

I have finished "The First Rule of 10" -- a detective story based in LA in which the featured character is an escapee from a Tibetan monastery, Tenzig Norbu. Lots of references to meditation and the universe bringing you what you need, which mixes rather well with solving the case through unexpected connections. The author team includes an older guy who's a spiritual advisor and a woman who's a writer, Hendricks & Lindsay.

Ah, I also have a book recommended by my friend in chemo called "How Not to Die" which is about proper nutrition and life habits. Today is day 1 of our renewed lockdown, joy oh joy, and I should get *plenty* of reading done this week while avoiding the bookcase infringement. LOL

I double and triple park all my books since we have limited space and bookshelves.  Wait til he runs out of bookshelves and wanders what to do with the left over books.  Is he doing them by a certain order?  Yes, that would make me nervous too, so don't blame you for distracting yourself.  First Rule of 10 sounds great for one of my 10 x 10 categories,  (Nuns, monks, etc) Adding it to my virtual pile.  Since the first lockdown, I've discovered the joy of Instacart and other delivery services.   I miss clothes shopping and browsing through the bookstore.  I think I went to B & N once and walked around with my hands in my pockets trying not to touch anything.  

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 6

29 minutes ago, Robin M said:

How neat, love it.  Feel like I failed you this year with dropping the ball on the Tolkien read.  Thank you so very much for all your input and wonderful thoughts on the stories.  😘

Not at all, Robin! No fail on your part at ALL!

I failed, as the fall semester and the pandemic combined just stressed me out. I still hope to finish getting through the trilogy over the holidays and post my thoughts, even though the season for the LotR challenge is fast drawing to an end. 😉 

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, Lori D. said:

I failed, as the fall semester and the pandemic combined just stressed me out. I still hope to finish getting through the trilogy over the holidays and post my thoughts, even though the season for the LotR challenge is fast drawing to an end. 😉 

This year stressed us all out I think and everyone's plans kind of went by the wayside. As with the 10 x 10 challenges, some are carrying over into the new year or so no worries if you don't get done before the end of the year.  I have several chunky historical fiction books I hoped to get to this year but didn't so looking forward to reading in the new year.   

• Like 6

Hi all, thanks for tagging me, Robin!

I'm another one who's failing at reading this year - which is a funny thing to say because I'm still reading way more than before I joined BaW, but soooo much less than the past two years, and I'm pretty much going to be punting every single challenge I set myself this year, so, SIGH.  The only two challenges I have any hopes of finishing are A-Z author/title - something I usually finish up easily in June or so, and I'm going to try to finish the Reading Women Challenge, which was kind of a side thing I wasn't even that serious about finishing, but since I realized it's the only Bingo-like challenge I have any hope of finishing this year, I'm'a gonna try.  But still may not make it.  Even though I've picked a bunch of really short books for the last few categories.

But then part of my problem is my Z and Q titles aren't done and I for some completely unknown reason picked a 1000+ page book and an almost 500p book for them - and now I'm over halfway done with them, so gotta just power on through... 

Anyway, I finished next to nothing in November - that month was as bad as March for 'can't concentrate on reading!', so... I'm guessing that's where I should start summarizing...  Nov and Dec so far I've finished:

79. Fangs by Sarah Andersen - a graphic novel in German about a vampire/werewolf love story.  Silly, but saw it on Overdrive...

80. Kentukis / Little Eyes by Samanta Schweblin - About plush toys that allow other people to inhabit them via computer and see everything going on in your life. 3 stars.

81. Rebecca by Daphne de Maurier (audio) - a belated spooky read.  Enjoyed it. 4 stars.

82. Four Souls by Louise Erdrich - I've been reading a bunch of her books this year, and plan to read a few more next year.  They're all kind of interconnected stories spanning the 20th and early 21st century; this one centers on two of the characters in the early 20th century.  3.5 stars.

83. Migrations by Charlotte McConaghy (audio) - set in a near future where species in the wild are going extinct at an ever accelerating pace, the main character is trying to follow what is likely to be the last migration of Arctic Terns from the Arctic to the Antarctic.  But there's also a lot of complex backstory to her character that gets explored.  4 stars.

84. Binti by Nnedi Okorofor (audio) - SciFi novella.  3.5 stars.

85. To Be Taught, if Fortunate by Becky Chambers - another SciFi novella.  4 stars.

And my long-haul books are Der Zauberberg/Magic Mountain by Thomas Mann and Gertrude Bell: Queen of the Desert, Shaper of Nations by Georgina Howell (yep, Z and Q), and I've also started If Then: How the Simulmatics Corporation Invented the Future by Jill Lepore and Sword and Sonnet, a fantasy/scifi anthology, those last two to try and complete the Reading Women Challenge.

• Like 9

4 hours ago, Robin M said:

How neat, love it.  Feel like I failed you this year with dropping the ball on the Tolkien read. 

4 hours ago, Lori D. said:

I failed, as the fall semester and the pandemic combined just stressed me out. 

No one failed this year. No one failed anyone else this year. This year failed us! Hugs to everyone. We're almost at the end of 2020 and there's hope on the horizon for 2021.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, Robin M said:

Getting all my Christmas shopping done and cards prepared and realized we're missing quite a few BAWer's.   They either haven't said hello lately or got lost perhaps in the WTM shuffle.  Come out, come out, where ever you are and say hello, let us know what you've been up too.  We miss you.

@JennW in SoCal @aggieamy @Nan in Mass @Loesje22000  @Dicentra @tuesdayschild @Pen @Excelsior! Academy  @vmsurbat1 @Matryoshka

😘

Hey @Robin M!  I'm around--for some reason, every time the board goes through its glitches my user name that works alternates between @vmsurbat1 and my current one as VickiMNE.  Annoying but not worth fussing about....

However, let me just give you all BIG THANKS as I just hit my 52 Books in a Week goal!  

Out of the 52, I'd say less than 5 were true fluff---you know, the Kindle Freebies that seemed interesting but you realize afterwards were free for a reason.  For the rest, I'd say I'd gotten out of the rut of reading only mysteries and classics:  from The Warmth of Other Suns (still consider it the most important book I read this year) to The Starless Sea (fantasy) to The Book of the Dun Cow (beautifully written) and more.

I'm amazed at all of you with your special reading challenges and 10x10s; I was happy just to read 52 books and I'm looking forward to continuing with you all next year, in my own haphazard way. 😎

• Like 8

I read A Family Christmas - 4 Stars - What a lovely anthology of stories and poems to get me in the Christmas spirit! Included in this are also scripture, letters, and songs. I especially loved the letter from Santa (John F. Kennedy) to his daughter, Caroline, who created this compilation. Many of the stories were already familiar to me, but others were new.

Here is an excerpt from one of my favorite quotes, “Keeping Christmas”, by Henry Van Dyke:

“It is a good thing to observe Christmas day. The mere marking of times and seasons, when men agree to stop work and make merry together, is a wise and wholesome custom. It helps one to feel the supremacy of the common life over the individual life. It reminds a man to set his own little watch, now and then, by the great clock of humanity which runs on sun time.”

51KphD4UjkL._SX389_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

• Like 8

I have been working on planning for next year.  Some of my 10’s were disappointing as I just couldn’t seem to motivate myself so I plan to bring my Patricia Wentworth (yep, I failed a cozy mystery category with 7 more needed), Somewhere in Time (Time travel,  probably going to finish this off with romantic time travel instead of popular recommended time travel which I didn’t enjoy in 2020),  and finally Corsets and Clockwork will move forward.  The Steampunk category is one  I started mid year after formally giving up on my Alfred Hitchcock books to movies idea. Somehow I think Robin has plans for this one in the coming year.

I did create new 10’s along the way......Sniffer Dogs, Spooky Books, and Christmas books.😂 I have a few Christmas books to go but expect to be successful!

I have gone ahead and picked my new categories.........borrowing a few from Robin.  At this stage I love to spend a few hours exploring my library wish lists and assigning books to categories.  I have only just started the process.  I love planning....

1.  Give me 10 more Agatha’s......AC in order again so I will eventually complete the list over on 52 books.

2.  If I could talk to the animals......unusual animals/pets in books is something I want to keep track of 😂, I read a book with a moose friend last week.  This is purely for my entertainment.

3.  In a Galaxy Far, Far, Away........Sci Fi without a category is not a good idea.  I don’t read as much Sci Fi unless I require it of myself.  I actually like Sci Fi........

4.  Fines and Misdemeanors (stories and crimes around libraries and bookstores)........One of Robin’s,  a call to read cozy’s🤷‍♀️

5.  Get thee to a nunnery  (involves nuns, priests, etc)......Robin’s again. Before last year a goal was to reread Brother Cadefel in order.  Should fit in here.

6.  My Cozy Corner(new to me cozy series)......I do this one every year and really enjoy it.  This was how I found Mrs Pollifax.

7.   Let me tell you about myself.....memoirs, biographies and true stories.......I have several interesting books on wish lists that fit this category.  Maybe this will make me read some of them.

8.  Around the World in 10 Detectives.......the return of a favorite.  This means I will revisit some old favorites and maybe discover a few new ones.

9.  Witches, Werewolves, and Vampires......Oh My!........planning to put fun spooky books here.  My spooky category lives on.

10.  Into the past (historical fiction).......Robin’s.  This may  be a catch all category with several books from series like Maisie Dobbs WW2 get thrown together with Russian Tsars.  In development and leaning towards historical mystery series.

• Like 5

Hello everyone! My reading this year has been super weird - I tend to check out five library books and end up reading maybe one. Well, the one that made the cut this time was Moonflower Murders by Anthony Horowitz. I've enjoyed his previous mysteries and while I wasn't able to completely figure out whodunit, I did pick up on what clues were important so yay! me. lol

@Laurel-in-CAI'm so impressed with your ability to read and crochet at the same time! I've been doing a lot of gift knitting so have been listening to podcasts/audiobooks and watching tv instead of reading. I wish I could read and knit at the same time but am not quite there yet. 

@negin What a lovely quote! I'll have to write it down and read it whenever I'm feeling Grinchy about the holidays.

@mumto2 Love your categories! Sounds like you're on track for a fun reading year. 

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, Mothersweets said:

Hello everyone! My reading this year has been super weird - I tend to check out five library books and end up reading maybe one. Well, the one that made the cut this time was Moonflower Murders by Anthony Horowitz. I've enjoyed his previous mysteries and while I wasn't able to completely figure out whodunit, I did pick up on what clues were important so yay! me. lol

@Laurel-in-CAI'm so impressed with your ability to read and crochet at the same time! I've been doing a lot of gift knitting so have been listening to podcasts/audiobooks and watching tv instead of reading. I wish I could read and knit at the same time but am not quite there yet. 

@negin What a lovely quote! I'll have to write it down and read it whenever I'm feeling Grinchy about the holidays.

@mumto2 Love your categories! Sounds like you're on track for a fun reading year. 

I thought of you while reading the Moonflower Murders as I knew you would be reading it soon!  I read it a couple of weeks ago and like you enjoyed it.  I also picked up the clues along the way but didn’t know who did it!

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Robin M said:

😘

Thank you for thinking of me and tagging me, Robin!  I'm still here - sometimes reading, sometimes not.  It's been an odd year (possibly the largest understatement EVER) and I've had a lot of family things to deal with (elderly parents' health issues - that sort of thing).  My online teaching business has also been doing very well - possibly too well as it's taking time away from reading. 😉  No - I won't say "too well".  I'm just continually grateful that there are so many parents who find my little corner of the educational universe and who choose to trust their students' introductory chemistry education to me.

I've not been keeping track of what I've been reading but since most of it is on my Kindle, I should be able to go back and put together a list.  Hopefully, I can do that before the year turns.

Thank you so much, Robin, for captaining this amazing community of readers and thank you to everyone who shares and participates!  Even if I don't post much, I try to read the threads.  And even if I don't get to read every thread, the fact that the threads are here - read or unread by me - makes me feel happy and warm inside. 🙂

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for thinking of me!  I had a goal of 52 books this year and have managed to read almost 40.  This is much, much more than I usually read.   A few of the books were serious chunksters like the unabridged Count of Monte Cristo.  While I haven't kept up with the bingo board, I loved that it got me out of my usual reading list and opened up books that I wouldn't have read.  I read a novel by Agatha Christie for the first time and fell in love  with the murder mystery genre.  Looking at my Goodreads account I am fairly certain I will finish 5ish books by the end of the year.  I haven't updated it in a while, but a few of the books I am reading are just a couple of chapters from being finished.  That would put my projected total at ~45.  Not too far off from my goal.  I appreciate all you do to keep this group going and to encourage us to expand our horizons.  I hope that we will be able to be as much of an encouragement to you as you are to us.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Robin M said:

😘

Must have heard you calling @Robin M😋 

I've been determining since November to sign in here and say "hello!"   I've missed being here seeing what you're each reading. 

I'll try to come back later .... if I don't get back,  may I sincerely wish each one of you some gentler days in 2021.

Here's my reading year in a nutshell:  my reading plan/challenge this year emorphed into mostly squishing in comfort listens, lots of repeats, to audios: and, to physically read 24 printed books.  I'm not going to achieve that later challenge.  I'm still working through wanting to read as many works of C.S Lewis as I feel like reading, and, in completing all the Miss Silver titles.  

Physical books read:

Nothing to Report ~ Oman, Carola   (3)     

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society ~ Shaffer, Mary Ann   (4+)

The Elements of Eloquence: How to Turn the Perfect English Phrase ~ Forsyth, Mark (read and reviewed it , didn’t give it a rating)      

The Great Divorce ~ Lewis, C.S.   (3)

The Abolition of Man ~ Lewis, C.S.   (4)

The Blue Castle ~ Montgomery, L.M.   (5)  Recommended on BaW. Loved it!!

Beholding and Becoming: The Art of Everyday Worship ~ Simons, Ruth Chou   (4.5) sip-read      

The Hiding Place ~ Boom, Corrie ten   (5)

The Listening Eye (Miss Silver #28) ~  Wentworth, Patricia   (3)

She Came Back [The Traveller Returns] (Miss Silver #9) ~ Wentworth, Patricia   (4)

Mr. Brading's Collection (Miss Silver, #17) ~ Wentworth, Patricia   (3)

New Zealand Café Cookbook ~ Shahab, Anna King (the read thru was a 5, haven’t cooked from it yet)

The Best of Annabel Langbein: Great Food for Busy Lives ~ Langbein, Annabel   (5)

Jamie's Ministry of Food ~ Oliver, Jamie   (5) sip read/ cook thru it over 10years 😛

Mom Heart Moments: Daily Devotions for Lifegiving Motherhood ~ Clarkson, Sally   (4-5) sip read  (not just for motherhood)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Dicentra said:

Thank you so much, Robin, for captaining this amazing community of readers and thank you to everyone who shares and participates!  Even if I don't post much, I try to read the threads.  And even if I don't get to read every thread, the fact that the threads are here - read or unread by me - makes me feel happy and warm inside. 🙂

This! 👍

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Reading:

Almost finished "Crushing Depth" by Dani Pettrey and I am sorry to report it was rather disappointing. I don't recognize this writing as the author of the Alaska series and the Chesapeake Series. Someone must be ghostwriting. No other way to explain it.

Audio:

I listening to Murder on 5th Avenue by Thompson. Many thanks to whoever recommended this series - probably Mumto2 - it has provided me with hours of entertainment for the last few months and I think I have a few books to go. I saw another recommendation and will give that one a try as well.

• Like 5

Another spark of inspiration lead to one more annual reading challenge for 2021 - Daughters of Mnemosyne. I'll highlight one a month.

Mnemosyne, the Greek Goddess of memory, is the mother of The Nine Muses, the Goddesses of the Arts and Sciences.  Artists and philosophers depended on the Goddesses for creativity, wisdom, and insight.  Inspired by Mnemosyne and The Nine Muses, delve into mythology, fictional retellings of the myths, the science of memory, climb up into  the stars, dive into history, delight in comedy, indulge in music, dip your toes into Epic poetry, the complexity of tragedies, and the beauty of ancient love poems. Analyze, question, and explore the symbols of each muse. There are a number of ways we can go with this challenge so have fun with it.

Daughters of Mnemosyne

www.read52booksin52weeks.com

Muse

Meaning

Subject

Symbols

Kalliope

(Calliope)

Beautiful voiced

Heroic Epic Poetry

Wax Writing Tablet and stylus

Kleio

(Clio)

The Proclaimer

History

Scroll, Book, and Clarion

Erato

The Lovely One

Love Poetry

Cithara

(string Instrument)

Euterpe

She who pleases

Music or Flutes

Aulos

(Wind Instrument)

Melpomene

She who Sings

Tragedy

Tragic Mask, Sword, and cothurnus

Polymnia

(Polyhymnia)

She of the Many Hymms

Sacred Poetry

Veil

Terpsikhore

(Terpsichore)

Delighting in Dancing

Dance

Lyre

(String Instrument)

Thaleia

(Thalia)

The Cheerful One

Comedy

Comic mask and Shepherd’s Staff

Ourania

(Urania)

The Heavenly One

Astronomy

(Natural Philosophy)

Globe,  Compass, and cloak

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 3

On 12/13/2020 at 6:26 PM, Matryoshka said:

Hi all, thanks for tagging me, Robin!

I'm another one who's failing at reading this year - which is a funny thing to say because I'm still reading way more than before I joined BaW, but soooo much less than the past two years, and I'm pretty much going to be punting every single challenge I set myself this year, so, SIGH.  The only two challenges I have any hopes of finishing are A-Z author/title - something I usually finish up easily in June or so, and I'm going to try to finish the Reading Women Challenge, which was kind of a side thing I wasn't even that serious about finishing, but since I realized it's the only Bingo-like challenge I have any hope of finishing this year, I'm'a gonna try.  But still may not make it.  Even though I've picked a bunch of really short books for the last few categories.

But then part of my problem is my Z and Q titles aren't done and I for some completely unknown reason picked a 1000+ page book and an almost 500p book for them - and now I'm over halfway done with them, so gotta just power on through... 

Anyway, I finished next to nothing in November - that month was as bad as March for 'can't concentrate on reading!', so... I'm guessing that's where I should start summarizing...  Nov and Dec so far I've finished:

79. Fangs by Sarah Andersen - a graphic novel in German about a vampire/werewolf love story.  Silly, but saw it on Overdrive...

80. Kentukis / Little Eyes by Samanta Schweblin - About plush toys that allow other people to inhabit them via computer and see everything going on in your life. 3 stars.

81. Rebecca by Daphne de Maurier (audio) - a belated spooky read.  Enjoyed it. 4 stars.

82. Four Souls by Louise Erdrich - I've been reading a bunch of her books this year, and plan to read a few more next year.  They're all kind of interconnected stories spanning the 20th and early 21st century; this one centers on two of the characters in the early 20th century.  3.5 stars.

83. Migrations by Charlotte McConaghy (audio) - set in a near future where species in the wild are going extinct at an ever accelerating pace, the main character is trying to follow what is likely to be the last migration of Arctic Terns from the Arctic to the Antarctic.  But there's also a lot of complex backstory to her character that gets explored.  4 stars.

84. Binti by Nnedi Okorofor (audio) - SciFi novella.  3.5 stars.

85. To Be Taught, if Fortunate by Becky Chambers - another SciFi novella.  4 stars.

And my long-haul books are Der Zauberberg/Magic Mountain by Thomas Mann and Gertrude Bell: Queen of the Desert, Shaper of Nations by Georgina Howell (yep, Z and Q), and I've also started If Then: How the Simulmatics Corporation Invented the Future by Jill Lepore and Sword and Sonnet, a fantasy/scifi anthology, those last two to try and complete the Reading Women Challenge.

Hmm! All your books sound good. I've added Migrations to my wishlist and have Erdrich in my stacks.  Crossing my fingers you'll finish Magic Mountain and Queen of the Desert.  I read Magic Mountain several years ago for a literature class and didn't think I would but I did.  One of those, I need to reread eventually because I'm sure I'll get more out again if I do.  

On 12/13/2020 at 9:32 PM, Lady Florida. said:

No one failed this year. No one failed anyone else this year. This year failed us! Hugs to everyone. We're almost at the end of 2020 and there's hope on the horizon for 2021.

Hugs and thank you.  Yes, there is hope on the horizon and looking forward to 2021.

On 12/13/2020 at 10:09 PM, Loesje22000 said:

👋 Hi,

I’m still here!

I managed to read some weeks well, and some weeks less well, I am almost at my goal of reading 100 books, but it will become a cliffhanger if I’ll make it. 

Hi and happy to hear from you. Will be interested in hearing your highlights for the year with your books.  😘

On 12/13/2020 at 11:26 PM, VickiMNE said:

Hey @Robin M!  I'm around--for some reason, every time the board goes through its glitches my user name that works alternates between @vmsurbat1 and my current one as VickiMNE.  Annoying but not worth fussing about....

However, let me just give you all BIG THANKS as I just hit my 52 Books in a Week goal!  

Out of the 52, I'd say less than 5 were true fluff---you know, the Kindle Freebies that seemed interesting but you realize afterwards were free for a reason.  For the rest, I'd say I'd gotten out of the rut of reading only mysteries and classics:  from The Warmth of Other Suns (still consider it the most important book I read this year) to The Starless Sea (fantasy) to The Book of the Dun Cow (beautifully written) and more.

I'm amazed at all of you with your special reading challenges and 10x10s; I was happy just to read 52 books and I'm looking forward to continuing with you all next year, in my own haphazard way. 😎

Oh my gosh, I think you told us at some point but I didn't put 2 and 2 together.    Yes, I've gotten swept up into a few Kindle freebies so know what you mean.  Yeah for hitting your 52 books goal!  Happy Dance!   

• Like 7

On 12/14/2020 at 12:22 AM, negin said:

Here is an excerpt from one of my favorite quotes, “Keeping Christmas”, by Henry Van Dyke:

“It is a good thing to observe Christmas day. The mere marking of times and seasons, when men agree to stop work and make merry together, is a wise and wholesome custom. It helps one to feel the supremacy of the common life over the individual life. It reminds a man to set his own little watch, now and then, by the great clock of humanity which runs on sun time.”

Wonderful quote, thank you for sharing! 

On 12/14/2020 at 7:46 AM, mumto2 said:

I have been working on planning for next year.  Some of my 10’s were disappointing as I just couldn’t seem to motivate myself so I plan to bring my Patricia Wentworth (yep, I failed a cozy mystery category with 7 more needed), Somewhere in Time (Time travel,  probably going to finish this off with romantic time travel instead of popular recommended time travel which I didn’t enjoy in 2020),  and finally Corsets and Clockwork will move forward.  The Steampunk category is one  I started mid year after formally giving up on my Alfred Hitchcock books to movies idea. Somehow I think Robin has plans for this one in the coming year.

I did create new 10’s along the way......Sniffer Dogs, Spooky Books, and Christmas books.😂 I have a few Christmas books to go but expect to be successful!

I have gone ahead and picked my new categories.........borrowing a few from Robin.  At this stage I love to spend a few hours exploring my library wish lists and assigning books to categories.  I have only just started the process.  I love planning....

1.  Give me 10 more Agatha’s......AC in order again so I will eventually complete the list over on 52 books.

2.  If I could talk to the animals......unusual animals/pets in books is something I want to keep track of 😂, I read a book with a moose friend last week.  This is purely for my entertainment.

3.  In a Galaxy Far, Far, Away........Sci Fi without a category is not a good idea.  I don’t read as much Sci Fi unless I require it of myself.  I actually like Sci Fi........

4.  Fines and Misdemeanors (stories and crimes around libraries and bookstores)........One of Robin’s,  a call to read cozy’s🤷‍♀️

5.  Get thee to a nunnery  (involves nuns, priests, etc)......Robin’s again. Before last year a goal was to reread Brother Cadefel in order.  Should fit in here.

6.  My Cozy Corner(new to me cozy series)......I do this one every year and really enjoy it.  This was how I found Mrs Pollifax.

7.   Let me tell you about myself.....memoirs, biographies and true stories.......I have several interesting books on wish lists that fit this category.  Maybe this will make me read some of them.

8.  Around the World in 10 Detectives.......the return of a favorite.  This means I will revisit some old favorites and maybe discover a few new ones.

9.  Witches, Werewolves, and Vampires......Oh My!........planning to put fun spooky books here.  My spooky category lives on.

10.  Into the past (historical fiction).......Robin’s.  This may  be a catch all category with several books from series like Maisie Dobbs WW2 get thrown together with Russian Tsars.  In development and leaning towards historical mystery series.

Great categories. I may borrow Witches, Werewolves, and Vampires!  😁

On 12/14/2020 at 9:07 AM, Mothersweets said:

Glad you enjoyed Moonflower Murders! 🙂

On 12/14/2020 at 11:22 AM, Dicentra said:

Thank you for thinking of me and tagging me, Robin!  I'm still here - sometimes reading, sometimes not.  It's been an odd year (possibly the largest understatement EVER) and I've had a lot of family things to deal with (elderly parents' health issues - that sort of thing).  My online teaching business has also been doing very well - possibly too well as it's taking time away from reading. 😉  No - I won't say "too well".  I'm just continually grateful that there are so many parents who find my little corner of the educational universe and who choose to trust their students' introductory chemistry education to me.

I've not been keeping track of what I've been reading but since most of it is on my Kindle, I should be able to go back and put together a list.  Hopefully, I can do that before the year turns.

Hugs and happy your online business is doing so good. Huzzah!   I lost track of what I read several times and had to go through the threads and my kindle to put together the list. But I resort my kindle so many times, I messed up the recents.  Ack!   Aw, thank you and it's my pleasure! 😘

On 12/14/2020 at 2:29 PM, Excelsior! Academy said:

Thank you for thinking of me!  I had a goal of 52 books this year and have managed to read almost 40.  This is much, much more than I usually read.   A few of the books were serious chunksters like the unabridged Count of Monte Cristo.  While I haven't kept up with the bingo board, I loved that it got me out of my usual reading list and opened up books that I wouldn't have read.  I read a novel by Agatha Christie for the first time and fell in love  with the murder mystery genre.  Looking at my Goodreads account I am fairly certain I will finish 5ish books by the end of the year.  I haven't updated it in a while, but a few of the books I am reading are just a couple of chapters from being finished.  That would put my projected total at ~45.  Not too far off from my goal.  I appreciate all you do to keep this group going and to encourage us to expand our horizons.  I hope that we will be able to be as much of an encouragement to you as you are to us.  

Hi!  Great to hear you are enjoying your reading and expanding your horizons. I love to explore.  Yes. Monte Cristo is a chunky one which we'll be tackling in 2021.  Yes,  you all provide me with lots of encouragement which adds to my pleasure of hosting the thread. Appreciate everyone who drops in and/or hangs out in our little reading corner of the board and thankful you all love reading as much as I do. 😘

• Like 5

On 12/14/2020 at 3:54 PM, tuesdayschild said:

Must have heard you calling @Robin M😋 

I've been determining since November to sign in here and say "hello!"   I've missed being here seeing what you're each reading. 

I'll try to come back later .... if I don't get back,  may I sincerely wish each one of you some gentler days in 2021.

Here's my reading year in a nutshell:  my reading plan/challenge this year emorphed into mostly squishing in comfort listens, lots of repeats, to audios: and, to physically read 24 printed books.  I'm not going to achieve that later challenge.  I'm still working through wanting to read as many works of C.S Lewis as I feel like reading, and, in completing all the Miss Silver titles.  

Physical books read:

Nothing to Report ~ Oman, Carola   (3)     

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society ~ Shaffer, Mary Ann   (4+)

The Elements of Eloquence: How to Turn the Perfect English Phrase ~ Forsyth, Mark (read and reviewed it , didn’t give it a rating)      

The Great Divorce ~ Lewis, C.S.   (3)

The Abolition of Man ~ Lewis, C.S.   (4)

The Blue Castle ~ Montgomery, L.M.   (5)  Recommended on BaW. Loved it!!

Beholding and Becoming: The Art of Everyday Worship ~ Simons, Ruth Chou   (4.5) sip-read      

The Hiding Place ~ Boom, Corrie ten   (5)

The Listening Eye (Miss Silver #28) ~  Wentworth, Patricia   (3)

She Came Back [The Traveller Returns] (Miss Silver #9) ~ Wentworth, Patricia   (4)

Mr. Brading's Collection (Miss Silver, #17) ~ Wentworth, Patricia   (3)

New Zealand Café Cookbook ~ Shahab, Anna King (the read thru was a 5, haven’t cooked from it yet)

The Best of Annabel Langbein: Great Food for Busy Lives ~ Langbein, Annabel   (5)

Jamie's Ministry of Food ~ Oliver, Jamie   (5) sip read/ cook thru it over 10years 😛

Mom Heart Moments: Daily Devotions for Lifegiving Motherhood ~ Clarkson, Sally   (4-5) sip read  (not just for motherhood)

Great to see you and thanks for sharing your reads. I have yet to read anything by C.S. Lewis except for the Chronicles of Narnia.  He takes a lot of concentration so good going.  I loved Corrie Ten Boom and the Hiding Place. I really need to reread it.  I remember going to see the movie eons ago and there wasn't a dry eye anywhere in the theatre when we walked out.  Movie was just a powerful as the book.  Hugs! 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Liz CA said:

Reading:

Almost finished "Crushing Depth" by Dani Pettrey and I am sorry to report it was rather disappointing. I don't recognize this writing as the author of the Alaska series and the Chesapeake Series. Someone must be ghostwriting. No other way to explain it.

Sorry to hear you aren't enjoying it.  Sometimes the writers try a different writing style, change their voice, which may make it seem like someone else wrote it but they are experimenting. Sounds like she didn't quite capture the characters voice the way she wanted.  

• Like 3

It's National Chocolate Covered Anything Day!  Woot Woot!  Think I'll make some chocolate chip cookies and brownies. 😁

Interweb wanderings today:

Npr's 2020 Best Book Concierge is up now

RIP John Le Carre:

Alexander Larman talks to the Creative Editor of Penguin Classics, Henry Eliot about what makes a ‘modern classic’

World Literature Today’s 75 Notable Translations of 2020

Top 100 Romance Book Blogs And Websites for Romance Readers and Authors in 2020

ETA:

Check this out ladies. This looks so tempting:   Announcing the 2021 Chapter-a-Day Read-Along which includes Divine Comedy, Quo Vadis, Hunchback of Notre Dame, David Copperfield, and The Three Musketeers.  

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 4

I've finished several works recently ~

This is the third book in a series which needs to be read in order. While I enjoyed revisiting the main characters, the storyline was a tad eerie for my taste and kept me awake!

Secret Santa by Kati Wilde

This was an enjoyable contemporary romance. (Significant adult content)

"She’s always been on the outside of love, looking in…

After years of struggling to make ends meet, Emma Williams finally lands a job that suits her perfectly—she enjoys her work, likes her new boss, and especially loves knowing her first paycheck is coming just after Christmas. That is, if she lasts that long. Because Logan Crenshaw, the creative force behind the company, doesn’t seem to want her there.

Not being wanted is nothing new for Emma…but she doesn’t know what she’s done to make Logan stalk around the office, growling every command as if her very presence infuriates him. She can’t afford to lose this job, so her plan is to keep her head down and try to avoid any contact with him—no matter how big and sexy and unavoidable he is.

But a Santa hat full of names, an office gift exchange, and one unexpected knock at her door are about to shake up all of her plans…"

I enjoyed this paranormal romance featuring two men; I look forward to reading the sequel. It is currently free for Kindle readers. (Adult content)

"Asking a necromancer for help is scary; falling for him may be downright terrifying.

Darien Green's afraid he's going insane. The voices in his head are getting louder, weirder, and more numerous. But tattoos appearing on his skin say that there might be a magical reason, something other than his own brain going around the bend. He's worked up the nerve to ask the local necromancer for help. Now he just has to survive his encounter with tall, dark, and talks-to-ghosts.

Necromancer Silas Thornwood doesn't appreciate being woken out of his bed by a stranger pounding on his door. But when that stranger turns out to be a half-frozen young man with an unexpected appeal, Silas can't turn him away. Even Grim, his cat-familiar, agrees— in a world of death and demons, protecting gorgeous, ghost-ridden Darien is Silas's next difficult job."

Secret Light by Z.A. Maxfield

I enjoyed this historical romance set in California in the mid 1950s; it is currently free for Kindle readers. (Adult content)

"Rafe Colman likes his life. He has a nice home, a good job, and a wonderful dog. But he's exhausted by living a lie. When his home is vandalized because of his perceived German ancestry, he can't even share the irony with friends.

Officer Ben Morgan falls for Rafe's dog first, but it isn't long before he's giving her owner the eye. He thinks they have more in common than the search for Rafe's vandals, and he's willing to take a chance and find out.

If life in 1955 is tough on a cop in the closet, it's even tougher on a refugee who's desperate to hide his roots and fit in. Rafe knows from tragic experience how vicious prejudice can be. Every second with Ben is stolen, every kiss fraught with danger. Can these two gentle, scarred men find a life together?"

I also read the story "Boyfriend" by Sarina Bowen which is in the anthology  'Tis the Season for Romance by multiple authors. It was a pleasant read but not my favorite by the author.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 2

My DGD wanted to do a book read with me and DS (her Dear Uncle). The three of us read Story Thieves.  It took DGD a while (3 weeks) so I started late when it looked like she was about to finish. I timed it right so she would finish before me.  The book has 389 pages and is the longest book DGD has read (she's 9). She was so excited to hit that last chapter she was shaking. As soon as she finished she facetimed me.  She was so serious "Meme, how many pages have you read?" After my reply, she then waited for me to ask her how she was doing. "I have zero pages left." was her ecstatic response.

It has been enjoyable being able to talk with her and DS about the characters, plot, writing, vocabulary, etc. She wants us all to get together and have a book discussion. She also wants us to read the second book.  She may have started her very first book club. I'm thrilled. So thrilled.

Edited by The Accidental Coach
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, The Accidental Coach said:

My DGD wanted to do a book read with me and DS (her Dear Uncle). The three of us read Story Thieves.  It took DGD a while (3 weeks) so I started late when it looked like she was about to finish. I timed it right so she would finish before me.  The book has 398 pages and is the longest book DGD has read (she's 9). She was so excited to hit that last chapter she was shaking. As soon as she finished she facetimed me.  She was so serious "Meme, how many pages have you read?" After my reply, she then waited for me to ask her how she was doing. "I have zero pages left." was her ecstatic response.

It has been enjoyable being able to talk with her and DS about the characters, plot, writing, vocabulary, etc. She wants us all to get together and have a book discussion. She also wants us to read the second book.  She may have started her very first book club. I'm thrilled. So thrilled.

That's wonderful!  Always love it when my son requests we read a book together.

• Like 4

I finished Cherie Priest's first steampunk novel in her Clockwork Century series, Boneshaker. It was hard to get into at first because for some weird reason the font in the hard copy of the book was reddish which took some getting used too. Once I got into the story though, it drew me in.  Mix together toxic gas, zombies, airship pirates, underground labyrinths, a megalomaniac, one mad momma bear diving in to go after her impetuous teenager and you have the makings for one action packed story.   

"In the early days of the Civil War, rumors of gold in the frozen Klondike brought hordes of newcomers to the Pacific Northwest. Anxious to compete, Russian prospectors commissioned inventor Leviticus Blue to create a great machine that could mine through Alaska's ice. Thus was Dr. Blue's Incredible Bone-Shaking Drill Engine born.

But on its first test run the Boneshaker went terribly awry, destroying several blocks of downtown Seattle and unearthing a subterranean vein of blight gas that turned anyone who breathed it into the living dead.

Now it is sixteen years later, and a wall has been built to enclose the devastated and toxic city. Just beyond it lives Blue's widow, Briar Wilkes. Life is hard with a ruined reputation and a teenaged boy to support, but she and Ezekiel are managing. Until Ezekiel undertakes a secret crusade to rewrite history.

His quest will take him under the wall and into a city teeming with ravenous undead, air pirates, criminal overlords, and heavily armed refugees. And only Briar can bring him out alive."

I just finished putting together my A to Z by author and by Title.

Oddly with author I have O, U, and Z and with Title I have X left.  I guess now would be a good time to read The Devotion of Suspect X which has been on my shelves for several years now.  

• Like 4

It was gray day which in Florida means cooler weather is on the way. In fact, it cleared up around 3pm and we could feel that the front had passed through. We're looking forward to highs only in the 60s or low 70s for the next week. Christmas looks to be a perfect day for our planned outdoor small family get together, with a high of 68.

Anyway, it was a good day for reading and since I didn't have much on my to do list I was able to spend the day with books. I finished What Matters in Jane Austen and while I enjoyed it I feel like it ended too abruptly. Each chapter was about something particular in her work, such as why weather is important, whether (and where) we see the lower classes, what the characters call each other, etc.. The final chapter was just like all the others and I would have liked the author to wrap it all up with an overall look at her style. This is one case where an epilogue would have been a good thing. Still, I give it four stars.

• Like 4

I have a serious question for all ~

where do you do your reading? One of my goals for 2021 is to feel more like an adult (I'm not sure why that's a goal but it is). Currently I read in the following places:

65% on the floor (on my stomach or leaning against the couch/wall/or whatever other surface happens to be conveniently behind me)

10% in the hot tub (perhaps one of my favorite places to read because...hot water!)

5% on the couch (cuddled under blankets and pillows because, hello...couch)

20% in the car while driving (these are audiobooks; I am not talented enough to read a print book while driving although I do read print books while DH is driving. I won't tell you how because those of you who believe in the tenacity of seatbelt use and feet on the floor will need to go take a sip of something a bit stronger than chai in order to compose your witty yet wise response.) 

So, what I need you to do is

1- decide if you're an adult

2- tell me where you read your books

I won't tax you more than that this evening but a future question just might be "what are your favorite reading snacks and beverages and do you use a napkin while reading?"

Edited: I just looked at my profile pic and realized I didn't add in a category for 'in the kayak". I do indeed take books out in my boat and just float around reading and drinking chai (which is what is in the bottle).

Edited by The Accidental Coach
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, The Accidental Coach said:

I've no idea if I'm an adult. I'm in my fifties and still don't know what I want to be when I grow up.

I read primarily in three locations:

-- On the bus while going hither and yon running errands.

-- On the loveseat during the day.

-- In bed late at night.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, The Accidental Coach said:

I am 50 and still figuring out if I am an adult.  

I read tons on my Kindle laying in bed.  I have a cover that will prop my book up so that when I am laying down it is at the correct angle to read.

Then I listen to lots of audiobooks.  Mostly while commuting but sometimes at home or while walking 

I have just recently started reading some real book again.   These I read sitting my my rocker recliner in the living room.

I want to read in my hot tub...... I just need to buy one first.

• Like 5