Menu

Recommendations for bringing water along while walking?

purpleowl

After a fun little adventure with dehydration / heat exhaustion this afternoon 🤦🏻‍♀️, I'm looking into options for bringing water along when I go for long walks. Waist packs that can hold a water bottle? Something else? I'd love to hear what specific products have worked for you. 

How long is your walk? When I used to go for 2hours, 3 to 4 miles long walk, I would bring a small backpack with two 18oz insulated water bottles (Hydroflask, Yeti, Kleen Kanteen). One holds warm water and the other holds warm coffee. I also have jerky and nuts with me just in case. It’s like a mini hiking trip. When it’s cold, I have gloves in my backpack in case I need them. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

How long is your walk? When I used to go for 2hours, 3 to 4 miles long walk, I would bring a small backpack with two 18oz insulated water bottles (Hydroflask, Yeti, Kleen Kanteen). One holds warm water and the other holds warm coffee. I also have jerky and nuts with me just in case. It’s like a mini hiking trip. When it’s cold, I have gloves in my backpack in case I need them. 

Today's walk was 4.17 miles, 1 hr 21 mins. It was 79 degrees out, sunny, but not humid. I have walked that distance once before, a little farther actually, and been fine to wait until I got home for a drink, but I think it was cooler that other time. 

I am not likely to go for long walks on the few days of actual cold weather we get. I break out in hives if I'm out in cold weather for too long. 

• Like 2

For 4.7 miles you really do want to be sure you've got enough water. And I'd definitely second some sort of camelback or its copycats -- is so much easier to carry enough water if you can distribute the weight and keep your hands free.

We have several camelback/daypack combos - they hold 1.5 liters, plus a front section big enough for lunch, a couple granola bars and a couple oranges, plus a main section big enough for a waterproof shell and a thin extra layer. And there are small pockets for phone & keys, compass/flashlight/whistle, basic first aid. We use them *constantly* for biking, day sailing, anything.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Pam in CT said:

For 4.7 miles you really do want to be sure you've got enough water. And I'd definitely second some sort of camelback or its copycats -- is so much easier to carry enough water if you can distribute the weight and keep your hands free.

We have several camelback/daypack combos - they hold 1.5 liters, plus a front section big enough for lunch, a couple granola bars and a couple oranges, plus a main section big enough for a waterproof shell and a thin extra layer. And there are small pockets for phone & keys, compass/flashlight/whistle, basic first aid. We use them *constantly* for biking, day sailing, anything.

4.17, not 4.7, but I assume your advice still holds. 🙂 I've been walking regularly for a couple of months now, but not always longer walks like this, and clearly I wasn't prepared. 

Are the camelbaks easy to keep clean? 

• Like 2

I have an Amphipod running belt with a large water bottle mounted in it diagonally.  It holds about a pint, which I think would be enough for 4 miles.  I like it because it does not jiggle at all, the bottle is kind of in a sleeve instead of perched on the end of another pack.  The pocket for other stuff is not very big, so I can bring my ID, cell phone, key, and maybe a string cheese.  Not the '10 items' for a serious hike.

For longer or hotter treks I have a fanny pack that holds one bottle of water on each end.  It has plenty of room for some emergency stuff, food, and ID/key/extra glasses.  Or I take my day pack and just put water inside of it--if I do that for a longer trek I also bring a Lifestraw so I can filter water on the go if necessary.  There is usually some in range for any hike.  I put my big brimmed hat onto the strap of either one of these so I can bring it without crushing it, and also a long sleeved very light SPF shirt.  If I might need a warm sweatshirt I take the day pack.  The fanny pack is iffy for that much bulk.

ETA:  The fannypack brand I love is Mountainsmith.  It's so sturdy and robust.  

Edited by Carol in Cal.
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, purpleowl said:

4.17, not 4.7, but I assume your advice still holds. 🙂 I've been walking regularly for a couple of months now, but not always longer walks like this, and clearly I wasn't prepared. 

Cleaning is fine so long as you just use it for WATER, not koolaid or whatever my son used as a ~10 yo when he went off to camp for eight weeks (  oh.my.word ). You just suspend the bladder & tube on a hook so they fully drain after each use; and flush them out with well-diluted bleach water every now and again. The valve parts are easy to detach and wash out with ordinary soap.

(Don't ask what happens if you let koolaid or whatever sit there for eight weeks; it's a miracle the kid didn't keel over.}

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, purpleowl said:

You can buy kits that contain cleaners and a frame to hold the camelbak open. Ds used one for band and the hardest part was keeping it open long enough for it to dry out, which is why I purchased the frame. You'll want to take apart the valve if you can so it can also dry.

• Like 1

I think camelbacks make the water taste like plastic.

You can always try a small backpack or waist pack and use a smartwater bottle.  They're cheap, lightweight, easy to refill, and easy to toss in  a recycling bin when they get gross.  They're a favorite of lightweight backpackers because they also fit standard water filters.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Carol in Cal. said:

ETA:  The fannypack brand I love is Mountainsmith.  It's so sturdy and robust.  

I have one too and it is easily a day pack.  I even bought the back pack straps for it and now I can easily carry all I need for a day in there.

• Like 2

For walks around 4 miles or less, I’d just use whatever cups you have in the house. The real problem is how much you’re drinking throughout the day. Are you keeping track? I’m terribly guilty of not drinking enough habitually and getting dehydrated. I even did the Plant Nanny app for a while. I have to really make an effort to drink enough. Drinking to thirst is not a good plan for me. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, purpleowl said:

Today's walk was 4.17 miles, 1 hr 21 mins. It was 79 degrees out, sunny, but not humid. I have walked that distance once before, a little farther actually, and been fine to wait until I got home for a drink, but I think it was cooler that other time. 

I am not likely to go for long walks on the few days of actual cold weather we get. I break out in hives if I'm out in cold weather for too long. 

I think that for a 1.5 hr walk, you don't need to carry a high capacity water bottle which will be heavy and needs to be balanced in such a way that you can walk comfortably. I think that you could just get a "hydration belt" which will hold a smaller water bottle and is hands free. I have seen several brands at REI. I have one similar to this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HJV923N

• Like 2

In addition to being well-hydrated throughout the day, consider a salty snack an hour or two from when you start hiking, and possibly a magnesium supplement.  There are two elements to hydration- getting the water into you (drinking) and keeping it there (electrolytes).  

I'm guessing this was a fluke, but I've had heat exhaustion a number of times and I know it's not fun, so I get you wanting to be prepared.  

Another option I haven't seen listed yet- google running hydration vests- there are many options, I suggest looking for ones built specifically for women, and can hold water bladders like a camelback does or water bottles, or both.  Most have additional storage for small items or snacks, etc.  They work by hugging the upper body, so the weight is pretty evenly distributed.  I ran for a long time with a running belt, and these also work great, as mentioned upthread.  But I find now in my "old age" my achy hips don't like them as much.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

For walks around 4 miles or less, I’d just use whatever cups you have in the house. The real problem is how much you’re drinking throughout the day. Are you keeping track? I’m terribly guilty of not drinking enough habitually and getting dehydrated. I even did the Plant Nanny app for a while. I have to really make an effort to drink enough. Drinking to thirst is not a good plan for me. 

I don't keep track, but water is the only thing I drink. I have a 16-oz cup that I refill several times throughout the day. I do take a small dose of HCTZ (a diuretic) each morning. 

@mathnerd - do you know the waist size that one will fit? I don't see it in the description, and my waist is large enough that several of the ones I found on Amazon wouldn't work for me.

@Monica_in_Switzerland - I am definitely not eager to repeat the experience! I would love it if it were a fluke. But where I live it is hot and humid for much of the year, and if this happened when it was only 79 with low humidity, I'm concerned about what will happen during the spring and summer.

Thanks to all for the ideas! ❤️

I use so many different things to have fluid with me - sometimes plain water isn't the best or only thing I want/need, depending on the weather, physical activity, duration and intensity of activity:

- simplest is to carry my water bottle in my hand as I walk. I do this for hour-long walks.

-  fanny pack-style water bottle carrier - this is great when running or skiing 

- backpack with water bottle(s)

- flask with sweet tea or coffee if it's cold

- bottle with sports drink with sugar and electrolytes

If I'm going to carry a backpack, I want/need it to hold more than just water, so a camelback has never been my choice. It's simply too specialized, with not enough room to hold other necessities. It may be great for other purposes, like if you need your hands free while drinking, for example. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, wintermom said:

If I'm going to carry a backpack, I want/need it to hold more than just water, so a camelback has never been my choice. It's simply too specialized, with not enough room to hold other necessities. It may be great for other purposes, like if you need your hands free while drinking, for example. 

Yes. I have a beautiful Osprey framed pack. It looks like more than you would need but I can stuff a jacket, lunch, binoculars, water and other stuff in, and can still barely feel it on my back  It's designed for women,  which makes a big difference. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

In addition to being well-hydrated throughout the day, consider a salty snack an hour or two from when you start hiking, and possibly a magnesium supplement.  There are two elements to hydration- getting the water into you (drinking) and keeping it there (electrolytes).  

I'm guessing this was a fluke, but I've had heat exhaustion a number of times and I know it's not fun, so I get you wanting to be prepared.  

Another option I haven't seen listed yet- google running hydration vests- there are many options, I suggest looking for ones built specifically for women, and can hold water bladders like a camelback does or water bottles, or both.  Most have additional storage for small items or snacks, etc.  They work by hugging the upper body, so the weight is pretty evenly distributed.  I ran for a long time with a running belt, and these also work great, as mentioned upthread.  But I find now in my "old age" my achy hips don't like them as much.  

I saw a woman wearing an orange hydration vest on the trail yesterday.   My first thought was why on earth is that lady wearing a life-jacket in the middle of the forest?   They aren't common here, and hers really was eye-catching!

• Haha 4

13 hours ago, Ottakee said:

I have one too and it is easily a day pack.  I even bought the back pack straps for it and now I can easily carry all I need for a day in there.

See, I have a day pack that has a low strap, and that puts the weight on my hips instead of my shoulders.  So if I want that capacity, that’s what I use.  It’s a lot less fatiguing, and it’s good practice for working up to actual backpacking, which is one of my goals.

• Like 1

I've used lots of different options over the years. 

It boils down to 2 things for me 1) how much does bounce/sloshing matter and 2) do you want to sip frequently as you walk, or stop to take a bigger drink less frequently.

Bladders:  No bounce or sloshing, and can sip frequently without stopping.  Annoying to clean and maintain.  Hoses freeze in winter.  I liked these when I was running long distances in non-freezing weather.

Backpack:  Bouncy and sloshy for running, but fine for walking.  Low maintenance.  Multi purpose - you likely already have one you could use.    Easier to insulate to keep water from freezing in winter.  Can hold lots of other stuff.  Taking drink takes more effort.  My favourite for walking /hiking.

I haven't found a waist pack that I like for water:  the straps always bother my belly (no matter how low I wear them), they all slosh/bounce, they twist around on me, and the ones with side mount bottles interfere with my arm swing (whack my arms when striding or nordic walking).   Other people seem to like them though, so maybe this just depends on your own particular anatomy and sensory quirks.  I do like waist packs for light loads like keys,wallet,phone.  But not for water.

Edited by wathe
  • Like 2

I recently purchased this water bottle holder and a 32oz nalgene. 

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B06WWJS1DX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I haven't used it for walking as I had some health issues about the time it arrived. I wanted something that would hold water bottle, keys and phone. I'm usually walking at parks where if I need snacks, I can get to the car easily. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, elegantlion said:

I recently purchased this water bottle holder and a 32oz nalgene. 

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B06WWJS1DX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I haven't used it for walking as I had some health issues about the time it arrived. I wanted something that would hold water bottle, keys and phone. I'm usually walking at parks where if I need snacks, I can get to the car easily. 

My son uses this one for his stainless steel insulated water bottle. You need to wear this one across the body in order to distribute the weight evenly. It is awkward if you wear it on your side. It is very rugged and each one lasts my son a year usually (he drags it around when we hike, it gets dragged on basketball courts, so it gets beaten up a lot! otherwise, it will last forever).

Edited by mathnerd
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, purpleowl said:

I don't keep track, but water is the only thing I drink. I have a 16-oz cup that I refill several times throughout the day. I do take a small dose of HCTZ (a diuretic) each morning. 

@mathnerd - do you know the waist size that one will fit? I don't see it in the description, and my waist is large enough that several of the ones I found on Amazon wouldn't work for me.

@Monica_in_Switzerland - I am definitely not eager to repeat the experience! I would love it if it were a fluke. But where I live it is hot and humid for much of the year, and if this happened when it was only 79 with low humidity, I'm concerned about what will happen during the spring and summer.

Thanks to all for the ideas! ❤️

You might want to try keeping track to see what you really drink in a day. If “several refills” is equal to 3 or 4, you’re probably not getting enough. You’re going to need 5-6 because nobody is really filling a water cup all the way to the brim.  Maybe measure what you need into a pitcher and see how easy it is to finish it in a day. Maybe most people get enough incidentally, but I have to push or I undershoot and get dehydrated. 

10 hours ago, purpleowl said:

@purpleowl, Mine said "one size fits all", if you need a larger size strap for your waist, it should be easily expandable since it has clips: places like Michael's and Joann carry belt extenders. Some are available on amazon as well:

https://www.amazon.com/DIOMO-Extender-Fanny-Strap-Extension/dp/B08B8XSF28

Edited by mathnerd
  • Like 1