Menu

S/O Glass storage containers - I called Pyrex!

sheryl

Monday, Oct 5 (just now), I called Pyrex to ask details about this glass storage containers  with lids set! Y'all, it's great.

Pyrex switched from Borosilicate to tempered in 1940's.
This set CAN go cold to hot immediately!  Freezer to oven (lid on) and freezer to microwave (lid offset).
However, product can NOT go hot to cold (microwave/oven to freezer).  It has to cool first.

The feature more important to me is product to be able to go immediately from cold to hot which these do!

I'm going this afternoon to pick up this set! 
YAY!

Edited by sheryl
  • Like 9

You have to be very careful with these.  They do explode going from cold to hot quickly.  I know too many who bought new ones and they have had exploding Pyrex.  Those who kept them don’t put them in a hot oven.  They put them in the cold oven and then turn on the oven to minimize the chances of exploding Pyrex.  

Edited by itsheresomewhere
  • Like 7

7 minutes ago, itsheresomewhere said:

You have to be very careful with these.  They do explode going from cold to hot quickly.  I know too many who bought new ones and they have had exploding Pyrex.  Those who kept them don’t put them in a hot oven.  They put them in the cold oven and then turn on the oven to minimize the chances of exploding Pyrex.  

Thanks.  She said it needs to go in pre-heated oven.  Do you have a link?  I just ordered mine by phone from WS!  They are:
Pyrex® Ultimate™ 10-Piece Glass Storage Set

I have had two pyrex containers shatter going from cold to hot. I took lasagna I had pre-prepared and put them into a pre-heated oven.  Epic mess. And one of the meals was going to a person on bedrest. I was 8 months pregnant myself. I cried and cried and cried and had to call a friend to help clean up. I'm not sure we ever got every shard out of the oven. Shattered!!! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 6

2 minutes ago, Carol in Cal. said:

There is a known problem with the newer Pyrex exploding in the oven.  It’s not the case with the older version.  I think that the transition was later than the 1940s—maybe there are two different kinds of tempered glass used in manufacture since then.

Right. She honestly addressed explosive issue.  It seems customer care or lack of contributes to it.  Customers have placed containers from hot microwave or oven on to cold counter or stove which is what the glass doesn't like - going from hot to cold. It is designed to go from cold to hot.

8 minutes ago, Carol in Cal. said:

There is a known problem with the newer Pyrex exploding in the oven.  It’s not the case with the older version.  I think that the transition was later than the 1940s—maybe there are two different kinds of tempered glass used in manufacture since then.

The 1940's date is suspicious to me also. My parents still have pieces that can change temp quickly that were new to them, not hand-me-downs, and they used to come with a guarantee--just take pieces to a Corning store, and they would replace them for you. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Carol in Cal. said:

will read later today. well, I might call back and ask further questions.  perhaps there is something new/better with the newer series.  IDK.  Will still use when they come at the end of this week.   2 year warranty so I should know within a year or less if it will explode.  will read and follow up with Pyrex.

FWIW, Pyrex was purchased by CorningWare in 1998....major formula changes happened in the 1998-2003 window timeframe. The switch from borosilicate to soda lime glass did not happen in the 1940s, it happened in the early 2000s.  Keep following me here...

CorningWare, in the 1950s, developed pyroceram: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyroceram . It has a high heat tolerance but is not borosilicate.

So, as near as I can tell, in calling Pyrex (which has really been CorningWare since 1998), they gave you the CorningWare answer, which is not the history of Pyrex. Corningwear did indeed change formulas back in the 1950s, but Pyrex did not change formula until the early 2000s.

• Like 5

According to the Snopes article linked above Corningware sold the Pyrex brand in the late 1990’s to a company called World Kitchen, and “exploding” is a misnomer. 

The only Pyrex brand product that I have ever had break that wasn’t dropped was a large glass mixing bowl, but that was totally my fault. I had set the bowl on a burner of an electric stove that I thought was off, but the burner was accidentally left on “low”. I then moved the bowl to set it in the counter. The counter had recently been cleaned and there was still a little bit of water on the counter. While I was using my hands to mix something, the bowl shattered. I received two deep gouges on a couple of fingers. Because they wouldn’t stop bleeding, I did end up going to the hospital. Three hours after the accident, I finally stopped bleeding and left the ER with bandaids and Neosporin. 

I frequently use Pyrex brand glass measuring cups, and I have never had any problems heating in the microwave or measuring liquids of different temperatures. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, City Mouse said:

According to the Snopes article linked above Corningware sold the Pyrex brand in the late 1990’s to a company called World Kitchen, and “exploding” is a misnomer. 

Well, I disagree.  "Exploding" is pretty spot-on as a descriptor of what happens.  My dd just had a Pyrex dish explode in her oven a couple of weeks ago, and there were little tiny shards of it (like, none larger than a pea) all over the oven and her kitchen floor.  I had to go over and help her vacuum it all up.  It was everywhere.  She's 22 and didn't get the memo about avoiding temp changes in glass cookware - the stupid recipe had told her to preheat 'a pan' in the oven and then add water.  That did it.

I mean, it doesn't explode as in it doesn't have an incendiary device and I'm not sure it shoots into your face, but it's certainly an instantaneous, unexpected and complete loss of integrity resulting in, say, a solid 9x13 pan becoming hundreds and hundreds of teeny tiny pieces.  It's not like it cracks, it completely and utterly disintegrates into little.tiny.pieces - of glass!  At least the pan dd had explode was empty except for the bit of water.  Could have been a much bigger mess!

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 5
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, sheryl said:

The feature more important to me is product to be able to go immediately from cold to hot which these do!

I wish you well.  

I had a bad experience baking with pyrex glass.  Despite what the company rep told you, it wasn't my fault.   

The time I bumped a pyrex mixing bowl on the edge of the counter and it broke into the smallest pieces that you can imagine, now that was my fault.  

Fault or no fault, I won't ever bake with glass again and I'm replacing a lot of my glass bowls, etc.  It's too bad we're not neighbors...we could trade the stuff we're afraid of for the stuff we feel safer with!   

Honestly, after what happened in my kitchen I've got glass shard phobia.

• Like 2

Technically there probably is user error - but it apparently is pretty ordinary things like a bit of damp or a frozen meal that is not evenly located so that part of the container gets very hot while part still has frozen food on it and expansion is inconsistent that can be user error.   I do still do some baking in Pyrex because when I tried to get away from it, I had other problems. But I am very cautious now. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sheryl said:

Right. She honestly addressed explosive issue.  It seems customer care or lack of contributes to it.  Customers have placed containers from hot microwave or oven on to cold counter or stove which is what the glass doesn't like - going from hot to cold. It is designed to go from cold to hot.

She “honestly” addressed the explosive issue? I don’t think I would be so quick to believe what the Pyrex people have told you. There have been too many reports of exploding Pyrex, and of course the company is going to train their staff to try to blame it on user error and not on some of their own products being defective. The fact that the representative already had a well-rehearsed answer to your question means that this must not be an uncommon issue.

I use Pyrex products, but I am very careful with them.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Laurie said:

I wish you well.  

I had a bad experience baking with pyrex glass.  Despite what the company rep told you, it wasn't my fault.   

The time I bumped a pyrex mixing bowl on the edge of the counter and it broke into the smallest pieces that you can imagine, now that was my fault.  

Fault or no fault, I won't ever bake with glass again and I'm replacing a lot of my glass bowls, etc.  It's too bad we're not neighbors...we could trade the stuff we're afraid of for the stuff we feel safer with!   

Honestly, after what happened in my kitchen I've got glass shard phobia.

That is exactly what my neighbor calls it now-  glass shard phobia.  

If you thought Corelle was bad when it shatters, this is worse. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, Pen said:

Technically there probably is user error - but it apparently is pretty ordinary things like a bit of damp or a frozen meal that is not evenly located so that part of the container gets very hot while part still has frozen food on it and expansion is inconsistent that can be user error.   I do still do some baking in Pyrex because when I tried to get away from it, I had other problems. But I am very cautious now. 

Same here. I only use the Pyrex when I don’t have any alternative, and at this point, I mainly use Pyrex products for storing foods, not for baking in them. 

• Like 1

I use my old Pyrex and my newish Pampered Chef glassware only for fridge to oven to table, only when the entire bottom of the dish is full of *something*, and only when I have a completely dry, not too cold place to move it to right out of the oven—either a burner on the stove that has not be on recently, or a pile of potholders, or a cork mat.  And I have never exploded it, but I am very careful.

I also have a couple of old glass pie plates, so obviousLy those are evenly filled when I make pie, and as it happens I don’t freeze my pies or quiches in the pans.  If I did, I would thaw for 24 hours in the fridge before putting in the oven.  

There is no magic here.  I am willing to do this because I like the even heating and being able to put them in the dishwasher, so it’s worth it to use these instead of metal pans.  But they do require that kind of careful use, I think.  

• Like 2

I'm surprised the pyrex rep didn't do more CYA on that phone call. I have not experienced any breakage, but I never go from freezer or even cold to a hot oven.  

I have some old pyrex and new pryex. I can't find this anywhere online but I have been told that the soda lime glass has a color to it (blue/green) when you look straight on at the rim. When I put my (newish) pyrex measuring cup on the counter, I see a blue/green rim. When I look down at my older (but not 1940s old) pyrex storage containers, I don't see any color.  

Anyone care to confirm or deny that?  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, sheryl said:

How cold can one's counters be?  If I take the container out of the oven or microwave, where else would I put it except on a counter?  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bootsie said:

How cold can one's counters be?  If I take the container out of the oven or microwave, where else would I put it except on a counter?  

😂 You must be one of those fancy modern people with the granite or other stone counters (which I'd guess can be fairly cold!) 

But as someone who has always had formica countertops, you make me shudder at the very thought of putting something hot on the countertop!  😱  Noooooo!  On the stove, on a wooden chopping block, on some kind of heat-block trivet, but never, ever, under any circumstances put anything hot on the countertop!  😱

• Like 8

40 minutes ago, marbel said:

I'm surprised the pyrex rep didn't do more CYA on that phone call. I have not experienced any breakage, but I never go from freezer or even cold to a hot oven.  

I have some old pyrex and new pryex. I can't find this anywhere online but I have been told that the soda lime glass has a color to it (blue/green) when you look straight on at the rim. When I put my (newish) pyrex measuring cup on the counter, I see a blue/green rim. When I look down at my older (but not 1940s old) pyrex storage containers, I don't see any color.  

Anyone care to confirm or deny that?  

There are websites where you can match the pyrex stamp to dates to confirm whether you have soda lime or borosilicate. I have also heard the blue/green rim story, and I find that true with what I used to own. (After the lasagna trauma, I went back to all borosilicate stuff at my house.)

55 minutes ago, Bootsie said:

I’ve never done that, ever ever.
Hot containers always go onto a hot pad or a cork pad usually.  Very occasionally onto a wooden cutting board if it’s a utility one that I don’t care if it gets burn marks on it.  (Don’t laugh!  It happened!)

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, Bootsie said:

I never put anything hot down on a counter. Always onto a cooling rack. I have a nice-looking wooden cooling rack that lives on the kitchen table and is the landing place for all the hot things.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

😂 You must be one of those fancy modern people with the granite or other stone counters (which I'd guess can be fairly cold!) 

But as someone who has always had formica countertops, you make me shudder at the very thought of putting something hot on the countertop!  😱  Noooooo!  On the stove, on a wooden chopping block, on some kind of heat-block trivet, but never, ever, under any circumstances put anything hot on the countertop!  😱

Exactly.  The rep said this causes problems, user-initiated.  🙂  She suggested a dishtowel.   Chopping block is a good idea.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

I have had soapstone countertops which are supposed to be safe but still always put a hot pad underneath--but to protect the counter from the heat, not the dish from the cold.   Then again, I live in the south, so my countertops may simply be warmer than most.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bootsie said:

I have had soapstone countertops which are supposed to be safe but still always put a hot pad underneath--but to protect the counter from the heat, not the dish from the cold.   Then again, I live in the south, so my countertops may simply be warmer than most.  

I like soapstone.  

10 hours ago, Indigo Blue said:

I’ve had one explosion to occur years ago. I believe it happened because I set it on the counter from the oven onto a towel that may have been ever so slightly damp. 

I pulled out two rectangle baking dishes from the cabinet this morning that I’ve  had since the 80’s. They are amber in color and on the bottom, it has PYREX in all caps. So, I’ll definitely hold on to these!

I have Snapware, which I love, but it’s the newer Pyrex. I do bake in them, but I’m just careful and use best practices. I think explosions, while rare, do happen. I would prefer borosilicate, but new Pyrex is good if you aren’t careless like I was.

In my search for borosilicate, I couldn’t find any that were in shapes and capacities that I wanted. I’m not worried too much about the plastic lids, but I don’t microwave the lids and they really don’t touch the food. The Pyrex glass lids are really nice, though. My lids are hinged and I only hand wash those in hopes that the hinges won’t split apart. They do seem to be high quality, and I’ve had them for awhile now.

What is your snapware brand?  Glass? 🙂

2 minutes ago, sheryl said:

Yes, key word though, Bill, is "if".  🙂

Indeed, it is. I've had it happen when the triggering event seemed highly improbable.

When tempered glass "blows" it is quite spectacular.

I do love glass storage. So what can you do? 

Bill

• Like 1

Hmmm.  Busy week, busy month so a collective response here.

I will gather your common remarks and call back next week.  Fully armed with more of the backstory (I knew some but not all of it) I'll ask these questions again.  

I think many of the incidents are user-created.  Do NOT put hot containers on cold surfaces.  Do NOT store HOT containers back in to freezer (they need to cool down).  

Curious now - maybe I misunderstood so will call for confirmation.  She said COLD to HOT - YES.   HOT to COLD - NO.  I don't necessarily "need"  to go from cold to hot.  I can bring up to room or nearly so temp.   But, if it can go immediately cold to hot then that would just be a bonus.  

My product arrives Friday.  I'll call next week.  

For those of you who have endured explosive Pyrex, remind me under what condition.  How long were you using the product before the incident?  Also, what year purchased?  Do you have a link?

27 minutes ago, sheryl said:

I will gather your common remarks and call back next week.  Fully armed with more of the backstory (I knew some but not all of it) I'll ask these questions again.  

I think many of the incidents are user-created.  Do NOT put hot containers on cold surfaces.  Do NOT store HOT containers back in to freezer (they need to cool down).  

Curious now - maybe I misunderstood so will call for confirmation.  She said COLD to HOT - YES.   HOT to COLD - NO.  I don't necessarily "need"  to go from cold to hot.  I can bring up to room or nearly so temp.   But, if it can go immediately cold to hot then that would just be a bonus.  

For those of you who have endured explosive Pyrex, remind me under what condition.  How long were you using the product before the incident?  Also, what year purchased?  Do you have a link?

None of those who I personally know would be considered user error by many. Some put it straight from the fridge to the oven and some had it just sitting on the stove cooling from cooking and exploded.  The lasagna went everywhere including the ceiling.   Personally, I had bought a néw one in a size I needed for something and it exploded in the dishwasher.  Nothing touching it as it was by itself in the rack.  

I wouldn’t expect Pyrex to actually admit this happens.  What company really would.

FYI-  I had a small set with lids just for storing washed fruit in the fridge.  After so many times hand washing the lids, they warped and no longer are usable. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, itsheresomewhere said:

None of those who I personally know would be considered user error by many. Some put it straight from the fridge to the oven and some had it just sitting on the stove cooling from cooking and exploded.  The lasagna went everywhere including the ceiling.   Personally, I had bought a néw one in a size I needed for something and it exploded in the dishwasher.  Nothing touching it as it was by itself in the rack.  

I wouldn’t expect Pyrex to actually admit this happens.  What company really would.

FYI-  I had a small set with lids just for storing washed fruit in the fridge.  After so many times hand washing the lids, they warped and no longer are usable. 

But, Pyrex recommends NOT  putting directly on stovetop from oven.  They recommend a towel.  I think it's strange it can not go onto a stove top but it's their product and their rec.  The dishwasher incident - idk.  To get to the bottom I'd have one would need to analyze number of units sold, number of returns and how many of those are user error. 

As with anything else, there can be a gold standard product but it's a numbers game.  There will always be a malfunctioning product (car, tv, appliance, whatever) even with stellar reviews b/c it just happens.  

Still I'll pursue this a bit more with Pyrex.  My order arrives Th or Fri. and I have 30 days.  So, I'll be on the phone and google to figure this out a bit more.

The question is rather would Pyrex consider those you personally know to be liable.  It's designed to go from frig to oven so not sure why it exploded.  It would take a review to "really" gather all the info to be fair to Pyrex.  With that said, maybe they had a unit that was defective in material and/or production.  Again, who knows unless there would be an inquiry to get to the bottom of it.

49 minutes ago, sheryl said:

But, Pyrex recommends NOT  putting directly on stovetop from oven.  They recommend a towel.  I think it's strange it can not go onto a stove top but it's their product and their rec.  The dishwasher incident - idk.  To get to the bottom I'd have one would need to analyze number of units sold, number of returns and how many of those are user error. 

As with anything else, there can be a gold standard product but it's a numbers game.  There will always be a malfunctioning product (car, tv, appliance, whatever) even with stellar reviews b/c it just happens.  

Still I'll pursue this a bit more with Pyrex.  My order arrives Th or Fri. and I have 30 days.  So, I'll be on the phone and google to figure this out a bit more.

The question is rather would Pyrex consider those you personally know to be liable.  It's designed to go from frig to oven so not sure why it exploded.  It would take a review to "really" gather all the info to be fair to Pyrex.  With that said, maybe they had a unit that was defective in material and/or production.  Again, who knows unless there would be an inquiry to get to the bottom of it.

We have gas stoves that act like a cooling rack so plenty of room for proper air flow and no towel needed. And besides, who wants to buy a dishes you have to baby.  Most people are going to take a dish out of the oven and put it on the stove. Too many have done this for it to be a batch issue.  I can tell you of you look at the old stuff and the new stuff together, there is a quality difference.  My old pryex is thicker while the new stuff is thinner.  

I don’t know if you can,  but this problem with the glass has gone into the canning jars.  More people on the homesteading and canning groups I am on are having issues with the new ones. Really what the problem is the companies are tweaking things to save a buck manufacturing but make more money.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, sheryl said:

Ok, here’s my story. It was an exploding 9X13. I can’t remember what I had in it, but I’ll never forget how loud and terrifying it was! I had a huge pregnant belly and glass stuck all in my shirt and some in my belly, but thankfully nothing got in my eyes. (I was standing right by it when it exploded). The conditions: this was in 2008 and this Pyrex dish would have been purchased in the early 2000s, so probably 2001-2005-ish. I had just pulled it out of the hot oven and sat it on an electric burner (coil). The burner was NOT on, but had been used earlier to cook something on the stovetop. So my estimate is that it was still warm, but not hot. Explosion. That’s how it went down for me. 

• Sad 4

1 hour ago, mmasc said:

Ok, here’s my story. It was an exploding 9X13. I can’t remember what I had in it, but I’ll never forget how loud and terrifying it was! I had a huge pregnant belly and glass stuck all in my shirt and some in my belly, but thankfully nothing got in my eyes. (I was standing right by it when it exploded). The conditions: this was in 2008 and this Pyrex dish would have been purchased in the early 2000s, so probably 2001-2005-ish. I had just pulled it out of the hot oven and sat it on an electric burner (coil). The burner was NOT on, but had been used earlier to cook something on the stovetop. So my estimate is that it was still warm, but not hot. Explosion. That’s how it went down for me. 

FWIW, when I have put something hot onto a burner to cool, it’s always been a cold burner, and a gas or propane stove one, so more like a rack, not a coil.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Carol in Cal. said:

FWIW, when I have put something hot onto a burner to cool, it’s always been a cold burner, and a gas or propane stove one, so more like a rack, not a coil.  

Yeah, since glass is not supposed to go on direct heat, I would not want to put even a hot glass dish right out of the oven on a warm burner.  Now that I'm thinking about it, I do remember once carelessly setting a 13x9 pyrex baking dish on a warm burner, and it cracked in half(ish). Not an explosion, not shards flying, but definitely broken. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, marbel said:

Yeah, since glass is not supposed to go on direct heat, I would not want to put even a hot glass dish right out of the oven on a warm burner.  Now that I'm thinking about it, I do remember once carelessly setting a 13x9 pyrex baking dish on a warm burner, and it cracked in half(ish). Not an explosion, not shards flying, but definitely broken. 

My MIL did this at Easter one year.  We were all in the kitchen and felt very lucky that the Pyrex didn't explode.  

• Sad 1

Well now I'm curious who has used Pyrex glass with NO incident/s.  Feel free to chime in.

mmasc, glad all turned out well. That would have been scary.

Well, idk.  I'm weighing what I read from several sources and listening to your testimonials here.  

It seems there can be an issue with Pyrex glass but.......... if the directions aren't exactly followed then it might render an unwanted result such as explosion or whatnot.  They state that while there have been issues, it's a fraction of a fraction (so to speak) of 1% of millions of glass products sold.  That's what I was saying earlier about no product is without some level of inferiority/issue but it's only fair to learn all the facts and look at it numerically. So, if this happened 1 of every 100 people, I'd be leary.  If it happens once in 100,000 less leary and so on.  

Again, what about the folks here who have NOT had an issue.   Anyone? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sheryl said:

Well now I'm curious who has used Pyrex glass with NO incident/s.  Feel free to chime in.

Well, idk.  I'm weighing what I read from several sources and listening to your testimonials here.  

It seems there can be an issue with Pyrex glass but.......... if the directions aren't exactly followed then it might render an unwanted result such as explosion or whatnot.  They state that while there have been issues, it's a fraction of a fraction (so to speak) of 1% of millions of glass products sold.  That's what I was saying earlier about no product is without some level of inferiority/issue but it's only fair to learn all the facts and look at it numerically. So, if this happened 1 of every 100 people, I'd be leary.  If it happens once in 100,000 less leary and so on.  

Me!  Although my dinner is in pyrex and after reading this thread......

I use it all the time, all different ages and shapes.  I have specimens from 1960s to 1997ish.  I have done all of the things that are not recommended.  Direct freezer to oven.  Direct oven to outdoor 30 degree storage.  I put it on the stove to cool.  I have heated partial pans.  One thing I make on a regular basis requires melting butter in an empty pan in the oven then adding the cold batter to the pan.  I'm not sure how I have not had any explode!  Some of mine is even warped which should probably concern me.

I am terrified of my pressure canner so it is not just a general lack of fear.....

• Like 1

I’ve never had an issue, but I’ve never put anything straight from freezer into oven.  I usually put the pan on the top of my gas stove when I remove it from the oven, but occasionally it goes onto a trivet or potholder on the table.  After hearing the stories here I won’t be using the potholder again in case it is at all wet.  I have 2 9x13 Pyrex baking dishes, 2 large glass bowls that I don’t usually use in the oven but have done so before, and then a variety of round and rectangle ones that rarely get used in the oven because they are too small for my typical use.

I also have a couple of the square casserole Corning cornflower dishes that were my great-grandmother’s!  I almost never use them because of the size, but I figure once the kids are grown they will be used often!

• Like 1

I have a variety of Pyrex baking dishes and Corning dishes.  I don't know the age range of them--some go back to being DH's grandmother.  I know some are from the mid 1980s.  I know I have one that is older that was my mother's.  I haven't had any exploding problems.  I have never put one directly from the freezer to oven or vice versa.  I have gone directly from refrigerator to oven.  

I have a large Pyrex measuring cup we have used for years to make iced tea--pour boiling water over the tea bags and a few minutes later adding ice.  

I had one dish break a few weeks ago--but it was unrelated to temperature.  I was removing dinner from the oven and had a pot holder that had a hanging ring on it.  The ring got caught on the oven rack which caused the casserole to go flying as I was holding on to one caught pot holder and then another pot holder holding one side of the dish.  The dish shattered on the kitchen floor with hot casserole splattering all over me and the rest of the kitchen--and dinner had smelled so good 😞  So, now I am more concerned about pot holders than casserole dishes.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, sheryl said:

3 hours ago, sheryl said:

People have given their accounts of exploding Pyrex and other negative experiences, yet you seem to keep wanting to believe what the Pyrex rep told you, and for some reason, you plan to call them back again, even though I think we can all be quite certain you will get the same answers. You are asking us for specific statistics you aren’t going to get. Either you can accept what the Pyrex rep told you, or you can heed the warnings of the people here and elsewhere online who have posted their stories of scary things that have happened to them. You’re never going to know whether or not your Pyrex will explode, and you’re never going to know the percentage of people who have had issues. (I would like to know, too, but it’s not going to happen!) 

If you want to use the Pyrex you ordered, just use it. If you are at all concerned that it might not be safe, just return it. 🙂 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sheryl said:

I have a lot of pyrex and use it all the time (and for many years) with no issues, but I am careful about extreme temp changes. 

I use pyrex storage dishes for storing leftovers, but I do NOT cook in them.  The only pyrex I bake in is pie plates, which don't experience temperature extremes.

The reason for that is that I experienced an explosion, and had I not turned my back to my stove and taken three steps towards the trash can, I might have been seriously injured.   I had a cold 9x13 pan that I had taken out of the fridge.  It was holding leftovers that I was going to heat up.  I'd literally JUST turned the oven on to preheat and set the pan on my back burner.  The burner was not on and hadn't been on, BUT it was the location for the vent for the oven. The oven had not been on long and it definitely wasn't blazing hot air coming out of the vent, but my pan exploded regardless. Ex-Plo-Ded.  There was an insanely loud pop that sounded like a gun going off followed by the sound of hundreds of bits of glass raining down all over my kitchen.

It was no joke, and after that, I immediately replaced all my pyrex bakeware with aluminum, save for the pie plates. 

• Sad 3

2 hours ago, Catwoman said:

People have given their accounts of exploding Pyrex and other negative experiences, yet you seem to keep wanting to believe what the Pyrex rep told you, and for some reason, you plan to call them back again, even though I think we can all be quite certain you will get the same answers. You are asking us for specific statistics you aren’t going to get. Either you can accept what the Pyrex rep told you, or you can heed the warnings of the people here and elsewhere online who have posted their stories of scary things that have happened to them. You’re never going to know whether or not your Pyrex will explode, and you’re never going to know the percentage of people who have had issues. (I would like to know, too, but it’s not going to happen!) 

If you want to use the Pyrex you ordered, just use it. If you are at all concerned that it might not be safe, just return it. 🙂 

I do not see the point in this unless this topic is banned.  I'm gathering info.  Simply put.