Menu

Flying?

sheryl

DH has a family reunion in Sept and I'm thinking about flying to Detroit to visit family.   Is it safe to fly then?  Many people are concerned about flying in a tube/close quarters under any length of time in these circumstances.

June 30 is the deadline for purchasing tickets with this airline with no change fees for a year so I could change date of trip for up to a year and not incur a financial penalty.

Thoughts?

PS - I don't fly often.  This will only be my 5th time at most and first time by myself.  I know this is ridiculous but that's what it is.   🙂

• Like 1

If it's Southwest, love flying with them. Thing is, just me, but you're going to Detroit? Aren't they a crazy hotspot? So you're taking on the risk of flying (50/50, ok for a good cause) and the risk of Detroit and whatever craziness that governor is doing. Is it a possibility to drive? I don't like to drive more than 2-3 hours, so I totally get it. But just saying I would drive it. Way more flexible. And frankly, sometimes in the amount of time it takes to fly (parking, security, waiting, being picked up or Uber,, etc.) you could have driven it. 

My dd is supposed to fly here pretty soon, and she's a little freaked. I'm telling her get over it, wear a mask, because it's too far/expensive to drive both ways (I would have to, her car can't) and it's necessary. But for your flight, if it's closer, I would consider driving. If not, get your mask and go I guess. 

Are they seeing cases from flying? I guess that would be the question for the data gurus. Bars are having outbreaks, but are planes?

• Like 2

OP if Delta and/or Southwest serve the route you are interested in, I would go with one of them. Why? Because earlier today I read an article about how United and American are going to begin selling all seats.  Delta and Southwest said they would not do that until September? or through September?

Actually, the air on Civil Turbojet aircraft is probably extremely clean and compares with the air in other places you might go.

The thing I would avoid on Civil Turbojets is the Water. Do not drink anything made with Water. Only drink something that comes out of a can or a bottle.

Also, in the restroom on the aircraft, after washing your hands with the water in the sink, use baby wipes to clean your hands. Or some kind of a disinfectant. It is extremely hard for airlines to keep the water on board the aircraft clean.

(Yesterday, the CDC announced they believe there are 10X as many Covid-19 cases in the USA as they previously thought. By the time of your trip, many more people will have been exposed and that may make people safer. I believe it is everywhere. Here in Colombia, the government is much  more strict and there are no airline flights to/from/within Colombia until at least September 1st, unless they change that)

I would make the reservations if it is a good fare. Pay with a Credit Card!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

If it's Southwest, love flying with them. Thing is, just me, but you're going to Detroit? Aren't they a crazy hotspot? So you're taking on the risk of flying (50/50, ok for a good cause) and the risk of Detroit and whatever craziness that governor is doing. Is it a possibility to drive? I don't like to drive more than 2-3 hours, so I totally get it. But just saying I would drive it. Way more flexible. And frankly, sometimes in the amount of time it takes to fly (parking, security, waiting, being picked up or Uber,, etc.) you could have driven it. 

My dd is supposed to fly here pretty soon, and she's a little freaked. I'm telling her get over it, wear a mask, because it's too far/expensive to drive both ways (I would have to, her car can't) and it's necessary. But for your flight, if it's closer, I would consider driving. If not, get your mask and go I guess. 

Are they seeing cases from flying? I guess that would be the question for the data gurus. Bars are having outbreaks, but are planes?

Yes,  I agree with you 100% on this PP, but it's a 12-13 hour drive I'd be doing myself.  And, that's pretty much plowing through with a few short stops but not many and not long.  Would have to refuel once.   So, this is flying from Charlotte, NC to Detroit, MI. (DH and I moved from north of Detroit in another community decades ago to Charlotte) My sister and her dh live there.  (Although they are moving permanently to Charlotte next year)

I'm afraid I'm stuck with not going or flying.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Lanny said:

OP if Delta and/or Southwest serve the route you are interested in, I would go with one of them. Why? Because earlier today I read an article about how United and American are going to begin selling all seats.  Delta and Southwest said they would not do that until September? or through September?

Actually, the air on Civil Turbojet aircraft is probably extremely clean and compares with the air in other places you might go.

The thing I would avoid on Civil Turbojets is the Water. Do not drink anything made with Water. Only drink something that comes out of a can or a bottle.

Also, in the restroom on the aircraft, after washing your hands with the water in the sink, use baby wipes to clean your hands. Or some kind of a disinfectant. It is extremely hard for airlines to keep the water on board the aircraft clean.

(Yesterday, the CDC announced they believe there are 10X as many Covid-19 cases in the USA as they previously thought. By the time of your trip, many more people will have been exposed and that may make people safer. I believe it is everywhere. Here in Colombia, the government is much  more strict and there are no airline flights to/from/within Colombia until at least September 1st, unless they change that)

I would make the reservations if it is a good fare. Pay with a Credit Card!

Thanks, Lanny.  My sister suggested Delta as Detroit is a  hub.  I don't know what to do. I guess I could go and spend the night to/from Detroit.  Driving I mean.  

• Like 1

I've done 12 hr drives myself* many times, and I would chose that over flying in the current circumstances. I would figure on a total of 14 hours, so say leave at 6:00 AM and plan to arrive around 8:00 PM, and I'd do it in 3-hr chunks. So I'd plan for a 20-30 minute rest after the first 3 hours, with walking and stretching, a full hour rest after the second 3 hrs, again with walking, stretching, eating lunch that you packed, etc., then another 20-30 minute rest after the third 3 hrs, and then drive to the destination.

*(12 hrs of driving in one day with me as the only driver. Usually there were kids in the car, but that's not exactly a bonus, lol)

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, sheryl said:

Thanks, Lanny.  My sister suggested Delta as Detroit is a  hub.  I don't know what to do. I guess I could go and spend the night to/from Detroit.  Driving I mean.  

Cool... Thank you for sharing the origin airport with us. You can also go on SPIRIT. SPIRIT is very agile and has a very young fleet. They charge extra for everything, which also means that you do not pay for things you do not need or want. If possible pay for the "Big Front Seats".  After going thru Security, buy Water to drink on the aircraft.  If SPIRIT has schedules that you like, I strongly suggest you go on SPIRIT.

Enjoy your trip!

ETA: I believe that Detroit is the 2nd major hub for SPIRIT AIRLINES. Fort Lauderdale (FLL) is their home base.

Edited by Lanny
add ETA
  • Like 1

I would not fly, because you have no control over how close people are to you and no way of escaping an unsafe situation - you're stuck on the plane, no matter how much your seat neighbor coughs at you. Even if they do not fill the middle seat, you will be closer than 6 ft from others.

I'd drive. 12 hours alone isn't great, but you have a lot more agency.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 7

1 minute ago, sheryl said:

Hmm.  I know people here have flown without incident.   

Of course most people fly without incident. Most people who dine in restaurants or drink at bars don't get sick either. Most people attending graduation parties stay well. Most people in nursing homes didn't get the virus. Anecdotal evidence is not going to tell you whether you will be fine or not.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

6 minutes ago, regentrude said:

Of course most people fly without incident. Most people who dine in restaurants or drink at bars don't get sick either. Most people attending graduation parties stay well. Most people in nursing homes didn't get the virus. Anecdotal evidence is not going to tell you whether you will be fine or not.

Yes, I understand most people do such/thus without incident.  But - without going back on forth on soooooo many variables that may/may pertain I'm ------------------

Wanting to hear from others who have had a good experience.   

A friend who flew cross country last month was originally booked on a flight with few passengers; the airline cancelled their flight at the last minute and put their family on another flight that was totally packed. Based on what I've seen on the news and in social media, there's a huge amount of variation in people's recent flying experience: I've seen photos of near-empty planes with just a handful of people in them, and photos that were totally full with every seat occupied, despite airline claims that they would leave middle seats empty. And we just have no idea what things will be like in September — things might be better or they could be way worse than anything we've seen so far. At least if you drive you have control over how much contact you have, and with whom.

If you're determined to fly, all Southwest tickets (even the cheapest) can always be cancelled for credit up to 10 minutes before the flight leaves, and the credit is good for 1 year from date of purchase. That's not a Covid thing, that's their normal policy, so you wouldn't need to purchase by June 30th to get that deal.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

A friend who flew cross country last month was originally booked on a flight with few passengers; the airline cancelled their flight at the last minute and put their family on another flight that was totally packed. Based on what I've seen on the news and in social media, there's a huge amount of variation in people's recent flying experience: I've seen photos of near-empty planes with just a handful of people in them, and photos that were totally full with every seat occupied, despite airline claims that they would leave middle seats empty. And we just have no idea what things will be like in September — things might be better or they could be way worse than anything we've seen so far. At least if you drive you have control over how much contact you have, and with whom.

If you're determined to fly, all Southwest tickets (even the cheapest) can always be cancelled for credit up to 10 minutes before the flight leaves, and the credit is good for 1 year from date of purchase. That's not a Covid thing, that's their normal policy, so you wouldn't need to purchase by June 30th to get that deal.

Yes, true, things could be better or worse then.  Well, I'll  have to rethink this.  I do think it's a good deal to book by June 30 and I have a year to change up to a year from booking with no change fees - that all expires June 30 through Delta.  

I'm confused. Is this dh's family reunion, or will dh be going to a family reunion by himself and you're thinking you'll visit Detroit while he's doing that? 

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't go to an indoor family reunion no matter what, certainly not one that involves people gathering from different areas and then dispersing again. That's one of the worst types of events to have. 

I wouldn't fly to see a sister who will be moving to my area in a year. Are you okay with potentially having to quarantine in Detroit if you get exposed on the flight? 

I wouldn't plan to travel just bc dh is traveling at that time - that can be convenient, but there's no reason you can't plan to go at a later date if things improve. I would disregard this as a reason to go in September.  

People are much more likely to do things they have made concrete plans for, imo. So if you buy a ticket, yes, you can defer it, but I think having the ticket and solid plans will make it much harder for you to give up the trip. That's just human nature. 

If September arrives and things are somehow copasetic, you can buy a ticket then. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, katilac said:

I'm confused. Is this dh's family reunion, or will dh be going to a family reunion by himself and you're thinking you'll visit Detroit while he's doing that? 

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't go to an indoor family reunion no matter what, certainly not one that involves people gathering from different areas and then dispersing again. That's one of the worst types of events to have. 

I wouldn't fly to see a sister who will be moving to my area in a year. Are you okay with potentially having to quarantine in Detroit if you get exposed on the flight? 

I wouldn't plan to travel just bc dh is traveling at that time - that can be convenient, but there's no reason you can't plan to go at a later date if things improve. I would disregard this as a reason to go in September.  

People are much more likely to do things they have made concrete plans for, imo. So if you buy a ticket, yes, you can defer it, but I think having the ticket and solid plans will make it much harder for you to give up the trip. That's just human nature. 

If September arrives and things are somehow copasetic, you can buy a ticket then. 

Yes, dh is visiting with 2 family members at a lake cabin in VA.  I'd be going to Detroit.  Same time.  
I understand your point. Fares are low and hence the reason to buy now to save a bit. Have a year to use with no change fees.

12 minutes ago, sheryl said:

Yes, dh is visiting with 2 family members at a lake cabin in VA.  I'd be going to Detroit.  Same time.  
I understand your point. Fares are low and hence the reason to buy now to save a bit. Have a year to use with no change fees.

I thought that meant just no change fees - you'd still pay the difference in your fare if you didn't take this flight and took another one that was more expensive at that time.

Erica in OR

• Like 2

Given what a hotspot Charlotte is becoming (ugh), and the likelihood that the spikes we are seeing in the southern half of the US will lead to increased cases nationwide, I'd be wary of flying. And like a PP, I've known several people whose travel plans have been changed by airlines - either to more crowded planes or even from non-stop routes to 1 or 2 stops (which would negate the benefit of flying from CLT to DTW). 

As someone who flies 6+ times a year, and as someone whose husband usually travels 30-40 weeks per year for work, neither of us are comfortable with commercial airlines for the foreseeable future; without question until at least next spring.

• Like 4

I wouldn’t fly if I didn’t have to.  I read American Airlines said they would be filling every seat, while Southwest still commits to an empty middle seat I believe.  Just know what you’re getting into, as well as understanding any risk you may bring to your relatives.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, sheryl said:

OK, well I may scrap those plans. My understanding is the fare does not increase.  I'll need to check again; maybe I'm wrong.

The fare won't increase if you use the purchased ticket as originally planned. If you change it to a flight that costs more, you have to pay the difference, but you do not have to pay a fee to change it. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, katilac said:

The fare won't increase if you use the purchased ticket as originally planned. If you change it to a flight that costs more, you have to pay the difference, but you do not have to pay a fee to change it. 

Thanks,  Would you send  that link?  I couldn't find it.

2 hours ago, sheryl said:

OK, well I may scrap those plans. My understanding is the fare does not increase.  I'll need to check again; maybe I'm wrong.

Haha, fat chance on that. No fees to change your ticket, but you only get a credit for the amount you spent. You use that credit to buy your next tickets and forfeit whatever you don't use within the time frame. At least that's how Southwest is. It's actually a really good deal because they'll also give you a credit if your ticket price *drops* before you fly. I've had that happen. 

If you look, they only list their tickets out a certain window, like maybe 3 months. It's not like they are selling tickets for the next year. So no, the price is not locked in. It just becomes a credit on your account linked to your ID. So if you bought tix for 3 people, each credit would be linked to that person and unusable to others, non transferrable.

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, sheryl said:

Delta

If you fly Southwest, you have this kind of easy change all the time. And I agree about not needing to buy tickets so early. If it's a holiday weekend or you need a really particular timeframe, you should buy early. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

I haven’t paid attention to Michigan’s orders.

I don't think they mask their dogs yet... No seriously, we're slated to go there and I'm not too thrilled. Double our death rate, crazy political situation, nutso policies. Not my cuppa.

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 1

Our family of 4 flew last week (DEN to LAX) and it was lovely and empty and calm.  Both airports and planes.  Incredibly empty and quiet - maybe 30-40% normal volume in airports?  Most airport restaurants were closed. And water fountains shut down in DEN.

Everyone had masks on in the airports (it is required in DEN, not sure about LAX).  Everyone. We flew Southwest and every middle seat was open and everyone wore masks the entire flight.  Flight was 70% full with middle seats open.... busy route but not a full flight.

I was impressed with safety measures and felt 100% comfortable the entire time.  

Edited by LarlaB
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, sheryl said:

Yes,  I agree with you 100% on this PP, but it's a 12-13 hour drive I'd be doing myself.  And, that's pretty much plowing through with a few short stops but not many and not long.  Would have to refuel once.   So, this is flying from Charlotte, NC to Detroit, MI. (DH and I moved from north of Detroit in another community decades ago to Charlotte) My sister and her dh live there.  (Although they are moving permanently to Charlotte next year)

I'm afraid I'm stuck with not going or flying.

I don’t know. By myself, with audio books, I could do it. The whole trip could be in daylight if you depart at 6 or 7a.m. I might take two days coming back just to give myself a break at the end of the trip. 

I had to cancel a family trip that’s about 1700 miles. I can’t do TWO 12-13 hour days for one way and we’re too high risk to fly just yet. 

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, sheryl said:

Yes, I understand most people do such/thus without incident.  But - without going back on forth on soooooo many variables that may/may pertain I'm ------------------

Wanting to hear from others who have had a good experience.   

A good experience flying during Covid?  I did, in April.  NC to NV and back.  BUT, I had to do it.  I wouldn't have done it otherwise.  

• Like 2

I wonder if the family reunion will even take place?  Detroit was hit hard.

My husband's family live up there and I have a few relatives.  Elderly homes are still on 100% lockdown and no visitors.  DH's mom is self quarantining and having groceries delivered.

But the orders to not be in a large group are still there and may not be lifted in Sept.   If you buy the ticket and have to cancel, and there is no other reunion planned, do you still want to go up there?  Because you will be stuck with a ticket if you don't.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi!  I hear what you all are saying.  Mostly if I don't "need" to fly - don't.  Driving is do-able even though it will be hard.  

Dawn, I knew you flew recently surrounding your circumstances.  Hope all is well!  🙂

Well, shoot.  I just thought a quick trip.  So Michigan -

We moved from there to NC in 1990.  Yes, Michigan saw "very" high numbers but the governor is doing it well.  You "must" wear a face mask in public, and she opened the UP and southern part of the state (not Detroit) where numbers are low.  The rest of MI is stay at home.  Such a beautiful state. My gathering with my sister is with she and her husband only. I don't want to go to VA as it's a "special" time for DH and his 2 siblings.  I'll really be visiting with my sister and her husband in their home and back patio as most places are closed except stores and essentials.  It's not like we are going to dine out b/c we couldn't.  We will take a drive.  Wish my passport which is being updated would arrive so we may skip over to Canada but there might be restrictions to enter. Anyway, it's mostly just chilling at their house and taking a drive only here and there.   I miss Michigan.   It's just a beautiful state.  I would plan a trip to the UP as it's only a few hours away from my sister's house. 

6 minutes ago, sheryl said:

I'll really be visiting

This is something you can decide 2-4 weeks before. It doesn't have to be decided now. Nuts, they could get sick or you could get sick. It's not like a cruise or something where you buy early, need specific time slots, and have trip insurance. There's zero benefit to buying ahead on this. Consider the slightly higher plane ticket price your trip insurance. And really, the tickets might not be higher, not that much. For one person flying, the difference may be nominal. I don't think driving that far, stopping at lots of rest areas, etc. is necessarily "safer". It's probably a wash in reality. If you fly, everyone will be masked. If there were outbreaks from flying, we'd be hearing it, kwim? 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

This is something you can decide 2-4 weeks before. It doesn't have to be decided now. Nuts, they could get sick or you could get sick. It's not like a cruise or something where you buy early, need specific time slots, and have trip insurance. There's zero benefit to buying ahead on this. Consider the slightly higher plane ticket price your trip insurance. And really, the tickets might not be higher, not that much. For one person flying, the difference may be nominal. I don't think driving that far, stopping at lots of rest areas, etc. is necessarily "safer". It's probably a wash in reality. If you fly, everyone will be masked. If there were outbreaks from flying, we'd be hearing it, kwim? 

Very good point.  I'll need to think it through.  I could drive up and know where to stop for safety (we've been driving that route for 30 years).  On the way back my sister and I could drive separately and stop off at our cousin's house in southern Ohio (cousin is undergoing tests).  We'd share a room and spend the night and I'd leave to come home the next day.  Southern Ohio is about exactly half way b/t my sister's house and mine.  

Now?  Yes, summer is beautiful in MI.  But, it needs to coincide when dh goes to VA so that will be one of the first 2 weekends in Sept.

• Like 1

I flew Southwest in May. Never felt safer! We always wipe everything down ourselves anyways but when I did it this time, the wipe came away clean (they are usually filthy). That showed me they are cleaning and everyone was really great about wearing a mask.  I still wipe my area (I take my own so I can use as many as I want) just in case something residual was left behind from the person cleaning.  The airlines are trying to reduce the physical contact as much as possible, and encouraging people to use paperless tickets (showing phone screens etc) to help with that. People were absolutely great about distancing. I wouldn't hesitate to fly right  now. 

I don't usually check a bag, but I did this time, to keep it out of the cabin. I only carried a small purse and my snack was in a paper bag so I could throw it away on the plane. If I was taking a carry on, I would have wanted to wipe it down after being in the cabin. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tap said:

People were absolutely great about distancing.

I've been wondering how SW is handling the boarding process, where people are normally lined up super close together — are they able to keep people apart?

Edited by Corraleno
  • Like 1

DH is a pilot and has flown and sat on lots of commercial flights during this time, so we have some experience. Masks are required on the aircraft and they aren't serving beverages (at least on DH's airline) or snacks so interaction is kept to a minimum. The cleanliness of the aircraft air is not much of an issue because of hepa filters and recirculation (meaning you get completely fresh air ever few minutes (can't remember the exact number that DH said but it's less than 15 minutes per cycle). Airports are probably going to be where you'll have to watch SD and I'd recommend wearing your mask as there will be a number of people un-masked milling about. 

What's your departure city? If it's Charlotte (did you say you were in NC?) then you have two options for non-stop to DTW (Detroit): American and Delta. Southwest wouldn't be non-stop. Delta has 5 flights a day and American has 6. If you want to be around fewer people I'd recommend taking the first flight of the day. If you can take a non-stop then that'd greatly reduce your exposure to people. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, importswim said:

DH is a pilot and has flown and sat on lots of commercial flights during this time, so we have some experience. Masks are required on the aircraft and they aren't serving beverages (at least on DH's airline) or snacks so interaction is kept to a minimum. The cleanliness of the aircraft air is not much of an issue because of hepa filters and recirculation (meaning you get completely fresh air ever few minutes (can't remember the exact number that DH said but it's less than 15 minutes per cycle). Airports are probably going to be where you'll have to watch SD and I'd recommend wearing your mask as there will be a number of people un-masked milling about. 

What's your departure city? If it's Charlotte (did you say you were in NC?) then you have two options for non-stop to DTW (Detroit): American and Delta. Southwest wouldn't be non-stop. Delta has 5 flights a day and American has 6. If you want to be around fewer people I'd recommend taking the first flight of the day. If you can take a non-stop then that'd greatly reduce your exposure to people. 

Thank you for that!  I've decided "not" to purchase a ticket at this time.  I'll have to decide if I drive or purchase a ticket closer to trip dates.  Co19 could be better or worse.  Still, I'm looking forward to boarding a plane again.  It's been a very long time since I've flown last.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, sheryl said:

Thank you for that!  I've decided "not" to purchase a ticket at this time.  I'll have to decide if I drive or purchase a ticket closer to trip dates.  Co19 could be better or worse.  Still, I'm looking forward to boarding a plane again.  It's been a very long time since I've flown last.

I'm ready to get on a plane again, also! We usually fly a lot and I haven't been on a plane since the end of January. This is the longest I've gone without flying since DH started with the airlines! I think waiting is a wise choice.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, importswim said:

I'm ready to get on a plane again, also! We usually fly a lot and I haven't been on a plane since the end of January. This is the longest I've gone without flying since DH started with the airlines! I think waiting is a wise choice.

Thank you!  That confirms my choice.  I'm good with waiting and right now am planning that 13'ish hour drive solo. I will have family/friends call me on bluetooth to help keep me awake.  Going up is in 1 shot but driving back home will be divided in half by spending the night to visit my cousin and much easier driving home. 

• Like 1

On 6/30/2020 at 7:38 AM, sheryl said:

Thank you!  That confirms my choice.  I'm good with waiting and right now am planning that 13'ish hour drive solo. I will have family/friends call me on bluetooth to help keep me awake.  Going up is in 1 shot but driving back home will be divided in half by spending the night to visit my cousin and much easier driving home. 

Sounds like a plan! Just wanted to clarify that I haven't flown since January only because I haven't been able to get seats (flying standby). If I knew I was able to get on and get back home without issue I'd probably have been doing more traveling. DH's base isn't where we live so he's done LOTS of traveling and so far hasn't had any issues. Surprisingly, very few people from his company have been dx'ed with Covid19. I'd have thought it would have been MUCH more all things considered! 

I think waiting to buy is a wise choice because it's such uncertain times! Your trip is so far away who's to say there won't be another round by then. 😕 Also, flight schedules are changing monthly so buying a ticket for October doesn't give a guarantee that your flight wouldn't be canceled or changed, unfortunately.