Menu

Missing toilet paper and food

school17777

The last time I bought toilet paper was in December.  I bought two big packs from BJs - one for us and one for dd up at school.  Plus I bought college dd a semester’s worth of non fresh food.

So, after almost 3 months, it’s time to replenish the tp supply.  Little did I expect to not be able to find much available to buy.  Dd reminded me that she had the BJs pack up at school that she would be picking up today.  I finally found tp, and I only bought four packs because I knew that I had the large pack coming.

Dd went up to school to retrieve her backpack and books and discovered the toilet paper and all her unopened food is gone.  Her roommate will not respond to her.

• Sad 20

That really stinks. Is it possible, though, that the roommate is not responding for other reasons, and someone else with access to the room could have taken it?  RA or someone?  Not that it would make it any better, except if they are going to be roommates after all this is over.

Edited by marbel
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, marbel said:

That really stinks. Is it possible, though, that the roommate is not responding for other reasons, and someone else with access to the room could have taken it?  RA or someone?  Not that it would make it any better, except if they are going to be roommates after all this is over.

It’s an off campus apartment.  No other signs of a break-in. Only two people have key other than the apartment maintenance.  

Not sure why the roommate wouldn’t respond to say she didn’t take the stuff and be concerned herself that someone entered and took stuff from their apartment.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, MEmama said:

Ugh. That’s awful. 😞

If you need to find toilet paper, you might try the big box hardware stores. They tend to get overlooked but are often well stocked (ours still had lots of bleach, Lysol etc as of a few days ago).

Yeah. Lowes carries a brand called Moxie. (?) They had quite a bit the other day, even when my local Walmart and grocery stores were completely out. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MEmama said:

Ugh. That’s awful. 😞

If you need to find toilet paper, you might try the big box hardware stores. They tend to get overlooked but are often well stocked (ours still had lots of bleach, Lysol etc as of a few days ago).

Everyone told me to go to Home Depot for toilet paper.  I made it there on Friday afternoon- shortly after they ran out of toilet paper.  The manager said that they are not expecting another shipment for a couple months because the suppliers have been wiped clean.  (Haha!)

I did get four packs at our local grocery store.  I was surprised to find it full, but I happened to have good timing - they had just restocked.

Now that everyone will be home from school and working at home, we’ll go through it faster than usual I’m assuming. 

• Like 1

Did the roommate think your DD wasn't coming back for stuff and had already gone back to your house. Because I can understand taking it under those circumstances with the idea of repaying or replenishing once they both got back to the apartment. But I would also expect her to have asked.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, hjffkj said:

Did the roommate think your DD wasn't coming back for stuff and had already gone back to your house. Because I can understand taking it under those circumstances with the idea of repaying or replenishing once they both got back to the apartment. But I would also expect her to have asked.

I don’t know why she would think dd wouldn’t come back to get her school supplies.  And, she could have asked dd if that was her intention.  Still is ghosting dd.

Edited by school17777
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, school17777 said:

I don’t know why she would think dd wouldn’t come back to get her school supplies.  And, she could have asked dd if that was her intention.  Still is ghosting dd.

Which is bizarre. I mean, surely she realizes she'll have to face your DD when this is over? (Or perhaps not, if they're out for the rest of the school year and they have different apartments/roomies next year). But still! 

So roommate finally got back to dd this afternoon.  She says she took the toilet paper by accident.  She said she didn’t take the freezer food home because she was concerned that it had gone bad while they were gone (for a week of spring break) so she threw it out.  Interesting, she was only concerned about the food that hadn’t been opened yet.  Then she said she threw it because she has tried of seeing dd’s food take up half the freezer space.

She is agreeing to pay for it, but only venmoed  $20.  

• Confused 5
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, school17777 said:

So roommate finally got back to dd this afternoon.  She says she took the toilet paper by accident.  She said she didn’t take the freezer food home because she was concerned that it had gone bad while they were gone (for a week of spring break) so she threw it out.  Interesting, she was only concerned about the food that hadn’t been opened yet.  Then she said she threw it because she has tried of seeing dd’s food take up half the freezer space.

She is agreeing to pay for it, but only venmoed  $20.  

So sweet of her to be worried about food safety, lol.

Does your dd still have to be roommates with her? I hope not!

Gotta say, the suggestion that one might want to file a police report over toilet paper "theft" by a roommate--a ROOMMATE, not a stranger brandishing a knife, is one of the scariest things I've read on here about CV and what it's doing to people.    

• Like 5

We took the last of the (opened) cleaning supplies and TP from ds’s suite. Well left one of each for the last kid who hadn’t turned in his keys. The other kids took their personal stuff home but left all that kind of stuff behind in their rush to pack up and get out.

On 3/17/2020 at 8:31 AM, plansrme said:

Gotta say, the suggestion that one might want to file a police report over toilet paper "theft" by a roommate--a ROOMMATE, not a stranger brandishing a knife, is one of the scariest things I've read on here about CV and what it's doing to people.    

Why would you not consider this theft?  They each supplied their own toilet paper and food.  

• Like 1

On 3/17/2020 at 8:31 AM, plansrme said:

What? That's a quality Karen move.  WHY can't you just get on board?

• Haha 2

On 3/19/2020 at 9:37 PM, KungFuPanda said:

What? That's a quality Karen move.  WHY can't you just get on board?

I don't even know what a Karen move is, but are you seriously stating that there is no room to disagree on here about the suitability of calling the police to report a theft of toilet paper?  Is it really so universally accepted that this is an appropriate use of a police officer's time, to come to the apartment, take a report, hunt down and arrest the roommate, fingerprint her, and give her a police record that will follow her for life, over toilet paper?

As for why I am generally not on board with the hysteria, do you want to know what happened today?  Someone I know DIED today, with a brain infection that made him mentally incompetent for the last couple of days.  He was in a state whose governor, just hours before he was admitted to the hospital with what turned out to be a brain infection, prohibited all hospital visitation.  The neurologist told his parents, "The governor just signed this order.  Your son will not leave this hospital alive.  This will kill him.  You have to leave."  When the parents asked about an end-of-life exception, Dr. Asshat told them, "This doesn't apply to your son," because--news flash--doctors can be jerks, too.  And they kicked the parents out of the hospital, where their now-mentally-impaired son died ALONE, conscious but incapable of understanding where his parents were, because the governor was in a race to out-quarantine the governors of other states.  Prohibiting these parents from seeing their son, who was in no condition to make decisions about or even contribute to his own medical care, in a hospital that has zero--ZERO--coronavirus cases, in a state with ZERO coronavirus deaths, makes zero sense.  And don't start telling me what these parents should have or could have done to override the doctor. The hospital administrators, and their phones, were covered up with other families trying to do the same thing, and they couldn't make any headway.  And if objecting to the kind of hysteria that makes multiple posters want to call the police on a roommate who took toilet paper, or makes a young man die alone in a hospital room because he had the poor timing to contract a brain infection hours before the governor closed the state's hospitals to visitors, is a Karen move, then so be it.  But the fact that none of you can even acknowledge that there just might be a case to be made for a more measured response is appalling.

• Like 1
  • Sad 5