• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ausmumof3

• Pen

• Arcadia

• Melissa Louise

38 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

We’re getting supplies in September supposedly and just signed up for a million Moderna.

Todays 4 deaths included 1 fully vaccinated.

I’m sorry to hear. Are they releasing any details about patient characteristics? Is it known age or conditions for the fully vaccinated victim? And which vaccine? 

New study out of Australia. This is preprint. Interesting because they were able to follow recovered Covid patients without risk of reinfection or vaccination due to Australia's Covid strategy. 

Only confirms my concerns about long term immune system issues.

https://newatlas.com/health-wellbeing/long-covid-immune-dysfunction-australian-study/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

11 minutes ago, KSera said:

I’m sorry to hear. Are they releasing any details about patient characteristics? Is it known age or conditions for the fully vaccinated victim? And which vaccine? 

This is all the details I could find - ABC

Four deaths in NSW announced

They are a:

• Woman in her 40s who was not vaccinated
  • Man in his 70s who was vaccinated but had pre-exisiting conditions
  • Man in his 80s who was not vaccinated and a female in her 70s
  • Thanks 1

https://www.9news.com.au/world/coronavirus-world-updates-new-study-links-fires-to-increased-covid-19-risk-usa/9959c2e4-c4f2-4e15-abf2-8971cf3e7d82

I haven’t had time to read the study and 9news is not known for its quality science reporting but possible link between wildfire smoke and increase in COVID deaths.  I’m not sure if they did any work to separate the impact of people relocating and that people who are stressed about  fire are less likely to have the mental space for Covid precautions.  If anyone has time to pull it apart please do!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

This is all the details I could find - ABC

Four deaths in NSW announced

They are a:

• Woman in her 40s who was not vaccinated
  • Man in his 70s who was vaccinated but had pre-exisiting conditions
  • Man in his 80s who was not vaccinated and a female in her 70s

Chanel 9 is reporting that the woman in her 40s was fully vaccinated but had serious underlining health conditions 

• Sad 3

21 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

Chanel 9 is reporting that the woman in her 40s was fully vaccinated but had serious underlining health conditions 

I hate how they say that.

As if everyone can feel relieved - 'oh, just someone with underlying conditions.'

This whole thing dying vaccinated thing is making me super nervous. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 7

5 hours ago, Melissa Louise said:

As if everyone can feel relieved - 'oh, just someone with underlying conditions.'

I know....I know too many people with preexisting conditions for that to make me feel safer. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Melissa Louise said:

Was that their point?

Many people seem to think if someone dies or gets really sick that vaccines are pointless. That gives people less incentive to get one. I think it is important for people to know that 

A) That just because someone died after being vaccinated that doesn't mean the vaccines don't help. It could still save them. 

B) There are immunocompromised people who need other people to vaccinated to not spread it to them.

I think it is good for the general population to hear that there might be underlying causes for the vaccine to not do it's job well.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Melissa Louise said:

I know what you mean, but I also agree with Frogger. I’m a knowledge is power type, and I find myself wanting to have as much information as possible about under what conditions the vaccines are holding up well and which conditions are problematic. It helps with decision making. I have an underlying condition, but I’m considered healthy, and now that I’m vaccinated, while still being very cautious (i’ve never not masked indoors in public, starting before they were recommended in spring 2020 all the way up until now, and we rarely go anywhere in doors in public), I have felt much more relaxed and confident my vaccine is going to at least keep me out of the hospital and alive. It would help me to know just how concerned I need to be personally. It wouldn’t make me take fewer precautions for others at all. I am sensitive to that though, because it seems like from the beginning, so many of the Covid minimizers operate from a base that it only affects “those people” with health conditions (or darker skin). A lot of people don’t realize even if they are in a group that would be classified as a pre-existing condition, whether due to their weight or undiagnosed hypertension. Strikes me that it might make  sense to conceptualize being unvaccinated as the highest risk pre-existing condition someone can have. That would be accurate and for some people might have an impact when they hear it that way.

• Like 5

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-58202468

Regularly opening car windows for 10 seconds can cut the build-up of Covid-19 particles by 97%, a study has found.

Swansea University found the difference in air pressure between the inside and outside of a moving vehicle created a through-draught to suck out the virus.

For driving below 30mph (48kph), opening all four windows is most beneficial.

But on faster roads, opening two on a diagonal can have an even bigger impact.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 6

I agree it's important to point out that the two fully vaccinated people who died in Sydney were also already in palliative care when they got sick. There are still a lot of vaccine hesitant people. If they hear that two fully vaccinated people have died anyway, it would really put them off. 

It would be best to make it even clearer, that the vaccine alone can't help everyone, that we need to keep it out of aged care and palliative care and hospitals. But the politicians won't, because then they'd have to admit that the current situation in NSW is their fault - we now have thousands infected and so many deaths because they allowed international crew from aeroplanes to be driven around by unmasked, unvaccinated workers. And this after the last outbreak was started by the exact same thing - international aircrew. 

I also was thinking this morning about whether vaccinating the very ill is worth it. Hopefully they will get some data about that after this outbreak. I posted a few months ago that my dying MIL got very ill after the AZ vaccine. She has since passed (not to do with the vaccine) but it just seemed pointless to vaccinate her at that time, putting her through more misery, and it seems it wouldn't have 'taken' anyway. I don't know. 

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, bookbard said:

I agree it's important to point out that the two fully vaccinated people who died in Sydney were also already in palliative care when they got sick. There are still a lot of vaccine hesitant people. If they hear that two fully vaccinated people have died anyway, it would really put them off. 

It would be best to make it even clearer, that the vaccine alone can't help everyone, that we need to keep it out of aged care and palliative care and hospitals. But the politicians won't, because then they'd have to admit that the current situation in NSW is their fault - we now have thousands infected and so many deaths because they allowed international crew from aeroplanes to be driven around by unmasked, unvaccinated workers. And this after the last outbreak was started by the exact same thing - international aircrew. 

I also was thinking this morning about whether vaccinating the very ill is worth it. Hopefully they will get some data about that after this outbreak. I posted a few months ago that my dying MIL got very ill after the AZ vaccine. She has since passed (not to do with the vaccine) but it just seemed pointless to vaccinate her at that time, putting her through more misery, and it seems it wouldn't have 'taken' anyway. I don't know. 

Is that true for yesterday’s death as well?

I do think palliative care is a more useful thing to know than preexisting conditions because preexisting conditions is so broad that it applies to almost everyone in the higher risk age categories any way. 

• Like 11

7 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Is that true for yesterday’s death as well?

I read that the 40-something woman had been in palliative care, but not sure where - I usually look at ABC or Guardian, or see things on twitter. 

After googling, I'm second guessing myself! Now I don't know. 

Edited by bookbard
edited.
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, KSera said:

I know what you mean, but I also agree with Frogger. I’m a knowledge is power type, and I find myself wanting to have as much information as possible about under what conditions the vaccines are holding up well and which conditions are problematic. It helps with decision making. I have an underlying condition, but I’m considered healthy, and now that I’m vaccinated, while still being very cautious (i’ve never not masked indoors in public, starting before they were recommended in spring 2020 all the way up until now, and we rarely go anywhere in doors in public), I have felt much more relaxed and confident my vaccine is going to at least keep me out of the hospital and alive. It would help me to know just how concerned I need to be personally. It wouldn’t make me take fewer precautions for others at all. I am sensitive to that though, because it seems like from the beginning, so many of the Covid minimizers operate from a base that it only affects “those people” with health conditions (or darker skin). A lot of people don’t realize even if they are in a group that would be classified as a pre-existing condition, whether due to their weight or undiagnosed hypertension. Strikes me that it might make  sense to conceptualize being unvaccinated as the highest risk pre-existing condition someone can have. That would be accurate and for some people might have an impact when they hear it that way.

Yeah, it's not fun language when you're in the pre-existing category. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, frogger said:

Was that their point?

Many people seem to think if someone dies or gets really sick that vaccines are pointless. That gives people less incentive to get one. I think it is important for people to know that 

A) That just because someone died after being vaccinated that doesn't mean the vaccines don't help. It could still save them. 

B) There are immunocompromised people who need other people to vaccinated to not spread it to them.

I think it is good for the general population to hear that there might be underlying causes for the vaccine to not do it's job well.

It might be good for the general public but it's extremely demoralising for those of us with pre-existing conditions.

Do I think it's expressed that way for the health of the gp? No. Do I think it's used to make deaths feel less scary to normies for political reasons? I sure do. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Melissa Louise said:

It might be good for the general public but it's extremely demoralising for those of us with pre-existing conditions.

Do I think it's expressed that way for the health of the gp? No. Do I think it's used to make deaths feel less scary to normies for political reasons? I sure do. 

I think the other piece to the puzzle is that the media always ask those questions.  Every press conference I’ve heard of those things didn’t get mentioned they get asked.  

It’s kind of a distant cousin to victim blaming.  It helps people feel safer because it couldn’t happen to them.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, bookbard said:

Palliative care shouldn't have been expressed as a pre-existing condition. 

It's terrible, though, if Covid is in palliative care. 

I agree it's all a bit of a distraction from the failures of leadership that got us here. 

• Like 2

Just now, Ausmumof3 said:

I think the other piece to the puzzle is that the media always ask those questions.  Every press conference I’ve heard of those things didn’t get mentioned they get asked.  

It’s kind of a distant cousin to victim blaming.  It helps people feel safer because it couldn’t happen to them.

Yes, this. 

I don't think it's ok, tbh. I think it begins to fall into the realm of an ableist narrative. 

The one Covid death that got lots of media attn in Sydney was a 30+ woman, with no underlying conditions. Kind of the opposite - horror because this can happen to an 'innocent' too! 

But the palliative care deaths are equally tragic. That's a bad death. People still matter, even on their death beds. They don't matter less because 'pre-existing condition'. 

• Like 4

Yes, but I think the main narrative the government is pushing now is 'get vaccinated and this will go away, get vaccinated and it won't happen to you.' Which is why they emphasise the pre-existing conditions thing if it relates to a vaccine. It's so they can blame the public (push it on the individual) and not shoulder the responsibility that they actually have, as a government. In other words, it is classic neo-liberalism. It is always the fault of the individual, never the government/company. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, bookbard said:

Yes, but I think the main narrative the government is pushing now is 'get vaccinated and this will go away, get vaccinated and it won't happen to you.' Which is why they emphasise the pre-existing conditions thing if it relates to a vaccine. It's so they can blame the public (push it on the individual) and not shoulder the responsibility that they actually have, as a government. In other words, it is classic neo-liberalism. It is always the fault of the individual, never the government/company. 

Well, sure. And the media is complicit in the blame narrative, and so is everyone who comforts themselves with 'oh, but he/she had an underlying condition'. 

It's important info at a public health level. It doesn't need sharing with the general public. 

• Like 1

MegaCon is going on now in Orlando. 100,000 people expected. In freaking Florida with full hospitals and some of the highest rates of Covid in the freaking world. 100K people all together, sharing hotel rooms, etc. Masks are required, but of course not when eating/drinking/etc. And who knows how well that will be enforced anyway. UGH. I guess in a week or two I can look for our rates to go up even more - or maybe it's mostly tourists who will take it home. Ugh. 

• Confused 3
  • Sad 20

1 hour ago, ktgrok said:

MegaCon is going on now in Orlando. 100,000 people expected. In freaking Florida with full hospitals and some of the highest rates of Covid in the freaking world. 100K people all together, sharing hotel rooms, etc. Masks are required, but of course not when eating/drinking/etc. And who knows how well that will be enforced anyway. UGH. I guess in a week or two I can look for our rates to go up even more - or maybe it's mostly tourists who will take it home. Ugh. 

Plus Sturgis is going on.  Sigh.  

• Sad 3

3 hours ago, Melissa Louise said:

Well, sure. And the media is complicit in the blame narrative, and so is everyone who comforts themselves with 'oh, but he/she had an underlying condition'. 

It's important info at a public health level. It doesn't need sharing with the general public. 

I think we see this one differently. For some reason for me, this information is helpful when it comes to vaccinated cases in a way that it isn’t  when it comes to infections in general. I really bristle at the way people seem to brush off Covid because they think it only effects people with preexisting conditions,  as if those people don’t matter, and with the assumption that they would never be one of those. In the case of breakthrough infection deaths, it somehow seems helpful to me to know that most of those are happening in very ill people. Not because it matters less, but because I fear people would not get vaccinated if they they don’t have that context. If it turns out breakthrough deaths become equally common in people with no known risk factors, people may need to make different calculations.  My vaccinated college kids will go to class in person for the first time since March 2020, on vaccine mandated and mask required campuses and because of my  vaccine, I feel okay  with them continuing to come home, despite my pre-existing condition. If we start seeing that breakthrough deaths are not uncommon in people like me, we may need to change that. So for me, the information actually is news I can use. 

3 hours ago, ktgrok said:

As in an actual indoor convention?? The mind boggles!

2 hours ago, Terabith said:

Plus Sturgis is going on.  Sigh.  

I’ve been reading about how Sturgis is actually going to be an interesting case study. They have such a high rate of their population with antibodies at this point, it will be interesting, in a clinical way, to see if this year’s event does or doesn’t have a similar impact as last year‘s. Dearly hope all those with antibodies from previous infection hold up. So far, SD had not been as hard-hit in this Delta wave due to the high price they paid the last time around.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, KSera said:

I think we see this one differently. For some reason for me, this information is helpful when it comes to vaccinated cases in a way that it isn’t  when it comes to infections in general. I really bristle at the way people seem to brush off Covid because they think it only effects people with preexisting conditions,  as if those people don’t matter, and with the assumption that they would never be one of those. In the case of breakthrough infection deaths, it somehow seems helpful to me to know that most of those are happening in very ill people. Not because it matters less, but because I fear people would not get vaccinated if they they don’t have that context. If it turns out breakthrough deaths become equally common in people with no known risk factors, people may need to make different calculations.  My vaccinated college kids will go to class in person for the first time since March 2020, on vaccine mandated and mask required campuses and because of my  vaccine, I feel okay  with them continuing to come home, despite my pre-existing condition. If we start seeing that breakthrough deaths are not uncommon in people like me, we may need to change that. So for me, the information actually is news I can use. 

As in an actual indoor convention?? The mind boggles!

I’ve been reading about how Sturgis is actually going to be an interesting case study. They have such a high rate of their population with antibodies at this point, it will be interesting, in a clinical way, to see if this year’s event does or doesn’t have a similar impact as last year‘s. Dearly hope all those with antibodies from previous infection hold up. So far, SD had not been as hard-hit in this Delta wave due to the high price they paid the last time around.

SD did just turn red on Covidactnow and has some high positivity rates.

• Confused 1

On 8/12/2021 at 2:49 AM, Ausmumof3 said:

Sorry something weird happened with the quoting thing but I wondered if you had a source for vaccinated vs unvaccinated cases in Australia? Someone I know sent me this highly political article saying something like all but 1 of the cases in Australia were in vaccinated people so I would like something accurate to point her to.

ETA This is the source of the Australia figures she linked

https://wsau.com/2021/07/26/sydney-australia-all-new-covid-hospitalizations-involve-vaccinated-individuals-except-one/

Edited by TCB

5 hours ago, TCB said:

Sorry something weird happened with the quoting thing but I wondered if you had a source for vaccinated vs unvaccinated cases in Australia? Someone I know sent me this highly political article saying something like all but 1 of the cases in Australia were in vaccinated people so I would like something accurate to point her to.

https://wsau.com/2021/07/26/sydney-australia-all-new-covid-hospitalizations-involve-vaccinated-individuals-except-one/

This is definitely not correct as they report daily on the percentage in ICU that is vaccinated and it’s very low.  I will see if I can find a source for you.

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, TCB said:

https://www.aap.com.au/no-hospitalised-covid-19-patients-in-nsw-arent-all-vaccinated/

This might help?  Still not stats but shows where the weird claim came from originally.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

This is definitely not correct as they report daily on the percentage in ICU that is vaccinated and it’s very low.  I will see if I can find a source for you.

Thanks that would be really useful. I don’t think there is any persuading her but it’s worth a try.

4 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

https://www.aap.com.au/no-hospitalised-covid-19-patients-in-nsw-arent-all-vaccinated/

This might help?  Still not stats but shows where the weird claim came from originally.

Thanks! I think I was posting at the same time. 
I think it’s pretty clear to see the level of misinformation this friend is operating under. I keep trying to tell myself to just ignore it, and often I do, but I can’t help thinking that people’s lives might be at stake.

• Like 1

AU peeps - I don't get it.

Why can a 17 yr old in WA get an appt for Pfizer, but I can't get an appt for a 17 yr old for any vaccine in NSW? What happened to the idea of vaccinating by age group? How are vaccines being distributed if some states are already doing 16+ and some are stuck at random god knows?

I assume it's just that NSW is a hellhole run by incompetents, but I had assumed that the program was nationwide, not by state. 

I can book a Pfizer appt for dd23 in January, 100km away. It's ok, she's just gonna get AZ and screw the clotting risk. But is ds ever going to leave the house again??!!

• Sad 5

8 minutes ago, Melissa Louise said:

I assume it's just that NSW is a hellhole run by incompetents, but I had assumed that the program was nationwide, not by state. 

The bolded there might be the problem.

I assume WA is unwilling to give up (any more of?) their share of the vaccines simply because NSW is run by incompetents.

Just now, Rosie_0801 said:

The bolded there might be the problem.

I assume WA is unwilling to give up (any more of?) their share of the vaccines simply because NSW is run by incompetents.

Right.

Well, good luck to them, I guess. 

Meanwhile, young people in Melbourne working in childcare are going to work during an outbreak completely unprotected, or at best, minimally protected for months by first dose AZ. 

What's the reason there? Presumably WA doesn't think Vic is incompetent?

1 minute ago, Melissa Louise said:

What's the reason there? Presumably WA doesn't think Vic is incompetent?

The WA Premier's first responsibility is to his state, not the rest of us. I dunno. *shrug*

It concerns me that by the time we get everybody vaccinated who can and will, the effectiveness of everyone who has been vaccinated is likely to be wearing off. We shall see, I suppose.

1 minute ago, Rosie_0801 said:

The WA Premier's first responsibility is to his state, not the rest of us. I dunno. *shrug*

It concerns me that by the time we get everybody vaccinated who can and will, the effectiveness of everyone who has been vaccinated is likely to be wearing off. We shall see, I suppose.

See, I thought we were a Federation, with national responsibilities. 

I imagine if WA were on fire with Delta and we had none here - would I object to 'our' Pfizer going to WA? Can't imagine it. 

31 minutes ago, Melissa Louise said:

See, I thought we were a Federation, with national responsibilities. 

I imagine if WA were on fire with Delta and we had none here - would I object to 'our' Pfizer going to WA? Can't imagine it. 

Some, if not all of other states have already given NSW more than their share in the last vaccine handout, so I heard in Dan's presser last week or the week before.

20 minutes ago, Melissa Louise said:

I think it must just play well politically in WA. 

Shame they can't at least direct some of their Pfizer for 16 yr olds to Walgett.

Petty state rivalry shouldn't stop that. Presumably, most people agree that indigenous ppl in areas of actual Covid transmission matter, regardless of state or Premier.

Petty state rivalry is what got NSW into this mess. Gladys and her buddy with the smirk didn't want to do what needed to be done and we know they knew better, because the state south of the border demonstrated what didn't work with the first outbreak last year.

I'm sure WA think Indigenous people in Western Sydney matter, but their premier's job is to represent his state and a refusal to behave like the premier of a state that is not his own is not petty state politics. It's him doing his job. If Pfizer doses aren't making their way to teens in Walgett, that's between Gladys and Scottie. 

47 minutes ago, Rosie_0801 said:

Some, if not all of other states have already given NSW more than their share in the last vaccine handout, so I heard in Dan's presser last week or the week before.

Petty state rivalry is what got NSW into this mess. Gladys and her buddy with the smirk didn't want to do what needed to be done and we know they knew better, because the state south of the border demonstrated what didn't work with the first outbreak last year.

I'm sure WA think Indigenous people in Western Sydney matter, but their premier's job is to represent his state and a refusal to behave like the premier of a state that is not his own is not petty state politics. It's him doing his job. If Pfizer doses aren't making their way to teens in Walgett, that's between Gladys and Scottie. 

Yeah, no. 

If the west coast was on fire, would we keep all our firefighting  resources on the East Coast and refuse to share? Because we think WA was incompetent in its fire prep? 

It's punishing people who aren't Gladys or Scotty, half of whom didn't even vote for the buggers. It's Labor seats the worst affected, including mine. 

If anyone thinks this is teaching the Libs a lesson, think again. It's not the leafy suburbs doing it tough. 

Edited by Melissa Louise

What I'm beginning to understand, though, is just because I think state identities are b/s -never in my life have I thought of myself as a New South Welshwoman, just a Sydneysider and an Aussie - doesn't mean the country isn't full of ppl who have some sort of bizarre state identity, well before any national identity. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rosie_0801 said:

Yep.  We are going to need boosters before we have supplies for the first round.  Basically unless we get something that lasts longer than six months low income countries are never going to get vaxes and will keep producing variants … I feel way less hopeful than I did three months ago.  Building up local manufacturing capacity and investing in local vaccine research is going to be so much more important but I’m not seeing the federal government even acknowledging the issue of waning immunity. It’s all 80pc vaxed and open up.  Not looking at the data from Israel etc.  It feels like last year where anyone with half a brain was worrying about the all in for Astra Zeneca strategy that let us down and the government was totally ignoring any potential issues.

• Like 3
  • Sad 3