Jump to content

Menu

wuhan - coronavirus


gardenmom5

Recommended Posts

53 minutes ago, TCB said:

Has anybody seen any of the people, enthusiastic about Ivermectin, such as Dr Campbell or others like him, address the fact that the large, positive, Egyptian study has been withdrawn because of possible fraud? My understanding is that that study was used as part of the Meta analyses that many are using as evidence for its use. I’ve been waiting to see one of them address that, but so far have not seen anything. 
Also, does anyone know when we might get results from the UK study looking at Ivermectin?

I saw something this week showing what the summary of research looks like if the withdrawn studies are removed, but it wasn’t from one of those who has been enthusiastic about it, so it might not be what you are looking for. I believe the oxford study is still enrolling, so it may be a while. Although, the sad upside of such high infection rates is that it’s much quicker to reach the study end point 😔

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Terabith said:

I saw someone linked to an article about % of kids that are likely to get covid once school starts, both with and without mask mandates.  I cannot find it now.  Can anyone help me out?

It was a LA Times article, but I am not finding the link off the bat.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

QLD - 19 cases today

Vic Down to 0.  So happy to see their success getting this back under control

SA 1 new local case - sharing some detail because it’s likely a fairly long incubation period - family member tested positive on July 20- all been in iso since then and now tested positive on the “exit” test.  Probably a day 13 test.  Some people have been speculating about shorter incubation etc with delta but looks like we really can’t exclude long incubation periods still.

NSW have 2 deaths - one man in his 20s at home and an 80 year old. 234 cases.  

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Worldometer cases passed 200,000,000 for what that’s worth.  Of course many countries data is well undercounted there.

The cases slope is looking pretty steep again. Deaths slope is softer but increasing - I guess hopefully reflecting some impact from vaccination.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

Oh gosh 😞 . This is SO STUPID given that we have enough vaccines to cover everyone. 

It is inexcusable. 

I want some angry mom version of God to come down, drag people by their ears to a vaccine clinic, and tell them to wash their dang hands. 

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Not_a_Number said:

Oh gosh 😞 . This is SO STUPID given that we have enough vaccines to cover everyone. 

It would be so great if you could pass those around. NZ just gave 10% of its limited supply to Fiji because of their outbreak. 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, lewelma said:

It would be so great if you could pass those around. NZ just gave 10% of its limited supply to Fiji because of their outbreak. 

I'm not clear on what is making it so hard for us to share doses already here. It sounds to be something about logistics, but we have thrown out 1 million doses already and that is tragic when they are so needed in other places. I don't know if the issues are storage, or transport, or import/export rules, or what.

  • Like 3
  • Sad 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, KSera said:

I'm not clear on what is making it so hard for us to share doses already here. It sounds to be something about logistics, but we have thrown out 1 million doses already and that is tragic when they are so needed in other places. I don't know if the issues are storage, or transport, or import/export rules, or what.

NZ has struggled to get supply. They are getting jabs in arms as fast as the vaccine comes into the country. Last week we got vaccine for 20% of the population (1 million doses) that they will get in arms within a month, but we just gave Fiji 100,000 doses. The problem appears to be that we had sourced it out of India, and then India restricted exports. And it was kind of unethical to demand that they meet their contract when so many people were dying and we were fine. But if Delta gets in here, we are sunk with only 20% vaccinated. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The US has already donated and shipped more than 110 million doses to other countries, most of which will be distributed by COVAX, and we have pledged to donate another 500 million. We also provided funding to expand production capacity in India, but if India is holding onto all the vaccine manufactured there until their own population is vaxxed, it may be a while before countries relying on COVAX see increased allocations from there.

As for doses going to waste, I presume those have already been distributed to state and local healthcare providers, and I don't know if there is even a mechanism by which the government could go around collecting unused doses from every Walgreen's, Kroger's, CVS, etc., all with different expiration dates, no idea if they were even stored properly, etc., and then pack them all up and ship them to other countries. I think the best they can do is to try to be more accurate with allocations so less is wasted.

Edited by Corraleno
  • Like 10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

The US has already donated and shipped more than 110 million doses to other countries, most of which will be distributed by COVAX, and we have pledged to donate another 500 million. We also provided funding to expand production capacity in India, but if India is holding onto all the vaccine manufactured there until their own population is vaxxed, it may be a while before countries relying on COVAX see increased allocations from there.

As for doses going to waste, I presume those have already been distributed to state and local healthcare providers, and I don't know if there is even a mechanism by which the government could go around collecting unused doses from every Walgreen's, Kroger's, CVS, etc., all with different expiration dates, no idea if they were even stored properly, etc., and then pack them all up and ship them to other countries. I think the best they can do is to try to be more accurate with allocations so less is wasted.

Good point. NZ gave Fiji part of its new shipment. Not dribs and drabs that hadn't been used. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

As for doses going to waste, I presume those have already been distributed to state and local healthcare providers, and I don't know if there is even a mechanism by which the government could go around collecting unused doses from every Walgreen's, Kroger's, CVS, etc., all with different expiration dates, no idea if they were even stored properly, etc., and then pack them all up and ship them to other countries. I think the best they can do is to try to be more accurate with allocations so less is wasted.

Yes, this fits with what I had heard, and wording it that way, it makes more sense. I had just heard that the doses were spread out and it was too hard to collect them again. Thinking of it more concretely, as you say above, I can see the problem. Maybe they could make boosters available on an on call system with doses that are about to expire? The way they were doing with early doses when they were hard to get but there were leftovers (but more organized and efficient 😬)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, lewelma said:

NZ has struggled to get supply. They are getting jabs in arms as fast as the vaccine comes into the country. Last week we got vaccine for 20% of the population (1 million doses) that they will get in arms within a month, but we just gave Fiji 100,000 doses. The problem appears to be that we had sourced it out of India, and then India restricted exports. And it was kind of unethical to demand that they meet their contract when so many people were dying and we were fine. But if Delta gets in here, we are sunk with only 20% vaccinated. 

Vic and SA have managed to bring it back under wraps with very hard fast lockdowns - given how well NZ does lockdown you could probably do the same.  NSW delayed a lot before acting.  That’s not to say we won’t have another round - with the number of cases in NSW it’s probably going to cause more interstate outbreaks I guess.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Considering allowing a breaking of the spirit of the law - this lockdown is going to go on for a long time - and let ds' girlfriend (who is having a v hard time at home) travel across the city to meet with Ds outdoors. Ds can't go more than 5km so he can't travel. But g/friend is not restricted. 

Neither of them are going to get offered a vaccine for months and I'm worried re mental health for both. 

They definitely shouldn't do this, from a public health perspective, though intimate partner visits are allowed  (though not in our LGA). 

Sorry, this doesn't really belong here, but ugh, sometimes you've gotta type it out. Ds hadn't seen anyone but me and dd for a month. Online doesn't count. 

I definitely feel more inclined to cheat because I feel like state govt is a complete shambles anyway.

  • Like 4
  • Sad 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Melissa Louise said:

Considering allowing a breaking of the spirit of the law - this lockdown is going to go on for a long time - and let ds' girlfriend (who is having a v hard time at home) travel across the city to meet with Ds outdoors. Ds can't go more than 5km so he can't travel. But g/friend is not restricted. 

Neither of them are going to get offered a vaccine for months and I'm worried re mental health for both. 

They definitely shouldn't do this, from a public health perspective, though intimate partner visits are allowed  (though not in our LGA). 

Sorry, this doesn't really belong here, but ugh, sometimes you've gotta type it out. Ds hadn't seen anyone but me and dd for a month. Online doesn't count. 

I definitely feel more inclined to cheat because I feel like state govt is a complete shambles anyway.

Last year when we were in stage 4 lockdown. Dd happened to “bump into “ her then boyfriend when out for her daily excercise. A walk along the beach. As they were not intimate so couldn’t meet under the lockdown rules. Unfair on people holding out to get married, I thought.

 They are now married and happy to lockdown together

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Melissa in Australia said:

Last year when we were in stage 4 lockdown. Dd happened to “bump into “ her then boyfriend when out for her daily excercise. A walk along the beach. As they were not intimate so couldn’t meet under the lockdown rules. Unfair on people holding out to get married, I thought.

 They are now married and happy to lockdown together

These guys live on different sides of the city, which makes it more complicated, because public transport travel..

Usually she spends every weekend here. 

I'm worried they're gonna get in trouble, less worried about giving each other Covid, and struggling with my 'never break a rule' nature. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

As they were not intimate so couldn’t meet under the lockdown rules. Unfair on people holding out to get married, I thought.

Wait a minute. Am I understanding correctly the rule was actually that sexually active unmarried partners could get together, but not unmarried partners who weren't sexually active? Not only is that unfair, it doesn't even make any sense from a public health perspective, since the sexually active ones are more likely to spread it to eachother. Maybe I'm misunderstanding.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Melissa Louise said:

These guys live on different sides of the city, which makes it more complicated, because public transport travel..

Usually she spends every weekend here. 

I'm worried they're gonna get in trouble, less worried about giving each other Covid, and struggling with my 'never break a rule' nature. 

The never break a rule is extremely hard. I struggle with that as well. Especially as there seems to be so few never break a rule people.

the mental health of young people is a really really hard thing in continuous lockdowns

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, KSera said:

Wait a minute. Am I understanding correctly the rule was actually that sexually active unmarried partners could get together, but not unmarried partners who weren't sexually active? Not only is that unfair, it doesn't even make any sense from a public health perspective, since the sexually active ones are more likely to spread it to eachother. Maybe I'm misunderstanding.

You understand correctly. They had to be intimate to be able to form a bubble.

and as weddings were not allowed unless end of life situations it was tough.

hence me encouraging a slight bending of the rules of bumping into each other while out walking along the beach.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Melissa in Australia said:

The never break a rule is extremely hard. I struggle with that as well. Especially as there seems to be so few never break a rule people.

the mental health of young people is a really really hard thing in continuous lockdowns

Yep. Last year, Ds was doing so poorly but he absolutely transformed over the last 8 months or so, especially once he started working. Now there's no work in sight, he's missing the daily social interaction and sense of purpose, and both kids are missing each other. I'm worried that this is going to drag on past the end of the month, and that he'll slide back into the pit. So far, he's doing ok, but I'm still worried...

  • Sad 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

Australia has sent Fiji over 600,000 doses as well. I am guessing Astra Zeneca as Australia is manufacturing it now

We only have Pfizer here so that is what NZ sent. Fiji is NOT doing well.  

  • Sad 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, lewelma said:

We only have Pfizer here so that is what NZ sent. Fiji is NOT doing well.  

Australia has also sent some AUSMAT  medical teams to help out

 Fiji gave us so much help during the fires. Our local area had some of the Fijian army here helping with fire cleanup. 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

I am really glad to see this.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

262 cases and 5 deaths in NSW. Hunter region is locking down after getting 5 cases.(yet again in a schools - schools seem to be having significant issues this time around).

QLD had 16 cases - 11 local. I think 5 linked to a boat off shore. Edited to say there’s two figures on ABC website not sure which is correct - one has 27 and 11 so hopefully that’s not right.

Vic had 6 cases. Hoping that’s not a bad sign of another outbreak

Edited by Ausmumof3
  • Sad 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/29/2021 at 5:38 PM, Melissa Louise said:

Hmm.

Defence force being brought in to locked down LGA's to enforce compliance.

Not sure I am a fan of this. Compliance in this LGA is generally related to insecure work/overcrowding/lack of access to the things that help us stay home. 

Really not keen on having the military patrol the suburb next to me, which is jam packed with immigrants and refugees from places where the military is not your friend. 

 

 

what  is an LGA?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

More about kids...stats from Texas Children's Hospital:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2021/08/04/pediatrician-covid-children-delta/?fbclid=IwAR0Mh-WnEsoOL3XFRaVeDHjPJMKGCMVMS2PdKQ1tpMiCprOTrfazEOYHBM0

I feel like these stats probably reflect what is going to happen to anyplace that has a surge of Delta when there are similar vaccination rates and mitigation efforts. My area has similar vaccination rates and mitigation efforts to Houston. 

 

  • Sad 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My sister's oldest kid had his first day of school on Monday.  By today (Thursday) over 500 students/ teachers were in isolation or quarantine.  No masks.  One vaccinated teacher caught it and exposed her whole class.  (My nephew's class at this Montessori magnet school has 40 kids and two teachers.). 

  • Sad 18
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Melissa Louise said:

And an even nastier one that we won't see dd till Christmas, if then. 

I have some hope that there’s a seasonal aspect to this and the lockdowns might start working more as we head into spring (I think they’re working on that the spread is much slower than it would be it they’re not working to fully stop the virus right now.  I’m not sure if there’s room for any more restrictions at this point in NSW).

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I have some hope that there’s a seasonal aspect to this and the lockdowns might start working more as we head into spring (I think they’re working on that the spread is much slower than it would be it they’re not working to fully stop the virus right now.  I’m not sure if there’s room for any more restrictions at this point in NSW).

I think there won't be any additional restrictions, just the push to get vaccinated + existing settings. 

Yes, maybe some time in September we'll see some improvements. It would be nice. 

I'm thinking the borders won't open to NSW any time soon though. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...