Menu

Keeping kids busy at grandmas?

TABmom

Dh and I are going on an anniversary trip and my kids (12,9,5) will be with my in-laws for 10 days. They're not in poor health or anything- they're totally capable of this, BUT I would like to make sure it's as easy on them as possible. When we get back, I want them to be ready for us to go again- not say something like "well, I hope you enjoyed that, 'cause we're never watching them for that long again!!" So, I'd like to send them with a box of things to keep them busy. I always send a bag of books and movies from the library. The kids also get Kiwi and Tinker crates that I thought I would just wait and not let them do before the trip. They can do those pretty independently. Other ideas? They have spent up to a week with them before, but it's usually not in winter. So their usual things are out. Ideas?

ETA: I wasn't planning on sending school stuff. My kids are not terribly independent with school stuff and I don't want to put that on my in-laws.

Edited by TABmom

Oh goodness. My mom was never at a loss for things for the peeps to do. Park, zoo, vegging out with movies and popcorn, s’mores in the backyard, trips  to Krispy Kreme and trampoline parks...anything they don’t usually do at home was fair game. Even in the winter, kids can have fun outdoors. Are the grandparents active? If so, my mom was happiest when I dropped them off, waved goodbye, and didn’t look back. I left my kids with her for about a week (they were 7 and 4) when I went overseas to meet DHs ship after a deployment. Maybe send books/kits if your kids simply love to read/complete them but I wouldn’t expect any of that to get done.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 1

How exciting! And how kind of the grandparents. I would plan on setting it up so that there will be something NEW each day. Some things will obviously be enjoyed over several days, but having something NEW each day will prevent dumping out the entire box on day 1, flitting from thing to thing, and then not looking at any of it again for the remainder of the week because its no longer "shiny". 😉

Ideas:
- a few DVDs of new movies
- solo working puzzle books/activity books: Kumon; dot-to-dot; hidden picture puzzles, mazes, paint-with-water books, etc.
- sticker books
- felt markers + mini stained glass coloring books
- a copy of Mark Kistler's Draw Squad for each of them (you draw in the book)
- magnetic "make a scene" or other toy with parts for imaginative play
- playdoh fun factory and additional utensil set
- Lite-Brite set
- a few new jigsaw puzzles
- a boogie board, an etch-a-sketch, and a magna-doodle
- a new game (maybe something like Orangutwang that works for all 3 of their ages?), or expansion to a favorite game
- new books for solo reading
- new Lego set
- new dress-up items for imaginative play
- travel cassette player or CD player and a few audiobooks on cassette or CD

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Sneezyone said:

Oh goodness. My mom was never at a loss for things for the peeps to do. Park, zoo, vegging out with movies and popcorn, s’mores in the backyard, trips  to Krispy Kreme and trampoline parks...anything they don’t usually do at home was fair game. Even in the winter, kids can have fun outdoors. Are the grandparents active? If so, my mom was happiest when I dropped them off, waved goodbye, and didn’t look back. I left my kids with her for about a week (they were 7 and 4) when I went overseas to meet DHs ship after a deployment. Maybe send books/kits if your kids simply love to read/complete them but I wouldn’t expect any of that to get done.

Well, that's great- but not really helpful. If th is was the spring, summer, or fall- there would be limitless things they could and would do. And of course they'll take them out. But it won't be the all day long fishing/boating/swimming of the summer or the wonderful park days of the spring and fall. 

I'm not expecting anything to get done. I simply want to have things that they can use or not. Anything to make it easier on them. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lori D. said:

How exciting! And how kind of the grandparents. I would plan on setting it up so that there will be something NEW each day. Some things will obviously be enjoyed over several days, but having something NEW each day will prevent dumping out the entire box on day 1, flitting from thing to thing, and then not looking at any of it again for the remainder of the week because its no longer "shiny". 😉

Ideas:
- a few DVDs of new movies
- solo working puzzle books/activity books: Kumon; dot-to-dot; hidden picture puzzles, mazes, paint-with-water books, etc.
- sticker books
- felt markers + mini stained glass coloring books
- a copy of Mark Kistler's Draw Squad for each of them (you draw in the book)
- magnetic "make a scene" or other toy with parts for imaginative play
- playdoh fun factory and additional utensil set
- Lite-Brite set
- a few new jigsaw puzzles
- a boogie board, an etch-a-sketch, and a magna-doodle
- a new game (maybe something like Orangutwang that works for all 3 of their ages?), or expansion to a favorite game
- new books for solo reading
- new Lego set
- new dress-up items for imaginative play
- travel cassette player or CD player and a few audiobooks on cassette or CD

Thanks! Great ideas here!

Good ideas so far.

I would throw in a big duffle bag of Kapla blocks, maybe 300, more if possible, and 1-2 of those artist quality design books.  And leave them there if G and G are willing.  Those are great for all ages.  

Maybe send along a kids' cookbook or craft book to try together?  Or if there are family favorite recipes of the G's, suggest to the kids that they ask to learn to make them?  I'm so glad my MIL taught me how to make pie crust so that I would learn the texture, which is hard to get from a book.  Some recipes are really easier caught than read.

I'd totally send along a homemade muffin mix (that is, dry ingredients for some of our favorite muffins). They can have fun making them together and then have snack for a couple days. 

Also, even though it's winter and cold, they'd be taking along all their winter gear. My mom's house is...small, really small and not well laid out. And her tolerance for noise/chaos is very different from what is allowed in our house (IOW, she can't handle any. There is NO running in the house, no jumping, etc...it worked with my quiet, compliant sisters and I growing up, but our kids are not like that.) So getting outside daily would be pretty much non-negotiable or everyone would go crazy. 

• Like 2

Dominoes is a game your inlaws likely know and is easy for your kids.  

Frozen cookie dough and icing to decorate

A couple of puzzles (one easy one to include your youngest and a bigger/more complex one for the older kids)

Books that your inlaws liked as kids, either on audio or in print (if your inlaws like to read aloud)

Window art kit

• Like 1

Every year I spent the summer at my grandma's and she would make a list of things for me to do while I was there to help her. I always cleaned out the fridge, deep scrubed to the bathroom, removed ivy, moved any furniture she wanted moved to vacuum, scrubbed the baseboards. Anything that was difficult for her.

That may sound a little extreme because I spent the entire summer there, but the concept is good.

• Like 3

Things my parents did with my kids that didn't involve buying or sending loads of stuff:

Took them to their local library branch for programs and to pick out books.  Their library is way fancier than ours, so this was a big treat.  "New" books were then used to occupy quiet times.

Took them swimming at the local indoor pool.  This was a big hit.  Definitely consider sending swim gear if this is an option.

Baking and cooking together.

My mother made the kids write a journal, and made them do chores.  The chores were things like Slache mentioned above.  And the kids mostly liked it, because some were tasks they hadn't really done before and they felt useful/needed.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TABmom said:

Well, that's great- but not really helpful. If th is was the spring, summer, or fall- there would be limitless things they could and would do. And of course they'll take them out. But it won't be the all day long fishing/boating/swimming of the summer or the wonderful park days of the spring and fall. 

I'm not expecting anything to get done. I simply want to have things that they can use or not. Anything to make it easier on them. 

I was just trying to provide suggestions for outdoor activities and outings that didn’t require ‘stuff’ to pack/load. I’m sorry that you didn’t find it helpful.

1 minute ago, arctic_bunny said:

Oh yes! I spent time at grandma’s being “paid” to clean the cupboards, and the windows, clean out closets... interspersed with baking cookies, playing card games, watching movies, reading books...

What does this word mean? :laugh:

When my parents have taken care of the kids over multiple days, my mom has always appreciated having simple foods that the kids actually eat -- pizza bagels or chicken nuggets or whatever.  Their favorite cereal or oatmeal.  Favorite snacks.

We have also sent easy card games such as Uno or jigsaw puzzles.  Lots of books to read for down time.  Favorite movies that my mom would enjoy with the kids.

• Like 3

They would probably enjoy playing in the snow if they aren't used to doing that.  Tell them all about building forts and igloos etc.  And how to store their wet boots and wash their clothes afterwards.

I would try to think of things they can learn to help the grandparents with.  Cooking a meal, sorting or tidying or dusting.  Making something in the basement workshop.  Planting some seeds (indoors).

Also look into whether there are any local camps or classes or other kid-friendly one-off activities.  Check the local library, arts center, community center, online community calendar, and the websites of any kid-centered organizations/businesses.

What about paper dolls / paper folding projects?

As a grandparent, I’ll tell you what I’d appreciate in that scenario:  In your mil’s shoes, I would have a list of ideas already that I would like to try/do with the grandkids, but I would also greatly appreciate a list of the things that your kids really love to do - b/c I might not know or might forget in the unaccustomed stress.  Those kits you were talking about would be great from my perspective - I’d love doing those with my grandkids.  Any favorite games or books your kids have that they would like to share with me would be fabulous.  Also super helpful would be ideas for dealing with difficulties with the kids (when George is tired, he’s really grumpy - it’s best to _________.  When Sue is upset, it’s best to _________).  

Anne

• Like 1