Menu

What do I want to do/get for my 50th birthday?

Garga

I have three years until I turn 50.  A friend asked me what I was going to do for my 50th and I said, “Oh, I don’t want a party or anything.”  She said, “No, no, I don’t mean a party.  But 50 is a good year to do something special for yourself that you wouldn’t normally do.  Like, go to another country, or jump out of an airplane...or whatever.”

It got me thinking that since it’s 3 years away, it might be fun to do something out of the ordinary for my 50th that would mark it as a special occasion.  

But ....what?  What do I want to do?  

Go somewhere?  Have an experience (like the airplane—but not that because that sounds hard on the body)?  Buy something super special?  

What would you do for a 50th birthday to make it special, and you have 3 years to plan it if it’s complicated or if you need to save up a bit for it.  But I won’t spend more than $1000, tops, and only $1000 if it’s SUPER special.  (I’m a bit of a penny pincher, so $1000 sounds ludicrous...but maybe if I save for 3 years...)

I would take a long weekend trip by myself. I live on the west coast, so maybe Hawaii. I would go to a spa while I was there—full body massage, manicure, pedicure, hair done, and just lay out in the sun and read and listen to the waves. I might hike or eat in a nice restaurant or two, but to just be by myself would be a tremendously refreshing gift.

Currently, whenever you go on vacation, do you like to be on the move constantly or do you like to take it slow?  Do you want to go with the family, just your hubby, girlfriends, or by yourself?   Do you have a bucket list?  Think of 20 things you enjoy doing?  When was the last time you did any of them?  Start narrowing it down to your top 5 you'd like to do the most. What town, city, or country have you always dreamed of visiting? Do you want to go to Machu Picchu or see the Northern Lights or laze about in Hawaii?   Horse back on the beach or go to a working dude ranch?  Do you love history or art.  Do you enjoy wandering around museums or would rather play for the day at an amusement park?   

Something we want to do one year is rent a house in England for a month where we can have lazy days and then take short trips through Europe.  It'll probably be ten years from now since we sunk all our money in the business building renovation so we have plenty of time to plan and save money. 

Have fun brainstorming!

• Like 1

I have an aunt who's single, and when she had a big bday she went to Chicago (pick any MAJOR city, like NY, whatever) and went to an outlandishly delish restaurant. I think she went to one of Rick Bayless' mexican restaurants, so it was at the time $50 a person probably closer to $100 a person now, lol. You could do that and a show.

Me, I'd take a cruise. 

My dh (who is closer, like you), I'm thinking of taking to the Grand Canyon. We haven't been since dd was little. When he turned 40 we did Alaska. Some things, like hiking glaciers, snorkeling, etc. really are better on the younger side, so if you have the dream, now's the time to do them.

On 12/22/2019 at 6:37 PM, StellaM said:

I'm turning 50 next year, and I want to raise money for a local women's shelter.

Haven't decided how I'll do it yet - an event ? Idk. But that's what I'm doing. If I can hand them a chunk of cash, I'll be happy with my 50th year.

I like this sort of idea. Even if I don’t fund raise and do it on a large scale, it would be fun to play the part of Santa Claus to someone in need.  Hmmm...I’ll have to think over this.

On 12/24/2019 at 2:49 PM, Patty Joanna said:

Think of 50 little things you would like to do and do them over the year you are 50.  

I would like to eat at that little restaurant I pass by 100 times a year.
I would like to stroll around my cute downtown area.
I would like to watch this movie: _____
I would like to learn 5 basics of some craft or other (that's 5 things right there....)

This is a great idea!  And might be more up my alley at this stage in my life.  When I turned 40, I had a laser tag party with about 40 people. So, I’ve already done the big party with a bunch of people thing and it’s not who I am anymore. I kinda like this idea of a baby bucket list.  It’s not things like “travel to Nepal,” but would be very satisfying to do 50 things that year that are slightly out of the ordinary and are always pushed off. 

On 12/24/2019 at 3:53 PM, PeterPan said:

I have an aunt who's single, and when she had a big bday she went to Chicago (pick any MAJOR city, like NY, whatever) and went to an outlandishly delish restaurant. I think she went to one of Rick Bayless' mexican restaurants, so it was at the time $50 a person probably closer to $100 a person now, lol. You could do that and a show.

Me, I'd take a cruise. 

My dh (who is closer, like you), I'm thinking of taking to the Grand Canyon. We haven't been since dd was little. When he turned 40 we did Alaska. Some things, like hiking glaciers, snorkeling, etc. really are better on the younger side, so if you have the dream, now's the time to do them.

Hmm...NYC is within driving distance and I’ve always wanted to be a tourist there, but never did because it felt like such a hassle to figure out how to get there and how to get around (I don’t know how to call or cab and there is no subway in my tiny town.). Maybe I could do a few tourist things, eat at some interesting places, and see a show.  I could go with just DH.  The kids will be 17 and 20 by then, so I don’t think they’d care if we went alone. 

• Like 2

When I turned 60, I decided I wanted to revisit a cute coastal town that I hadn't been to in decades and stay at a B and B.  It was Dec. and so there was some special Christmas stuff nearby to do, and I made reservations for it.  An art gallery that we liked had relocated there from nearer to us, and so we went to see it.  I hoped to get myself a painting by an artist that I love who paints the CA landscapes that mean a lot to me.  

We had a crazy good time.  The B and B was fantastic.  Even the sheets were amazing.  (Who knew there was such a thing as amazing sheets?)  The food was great.  In addition to an awesome breakfast, they served a small appetizer spread in the early evening.  I even bought their little cookbook and we have been serving their breakfast sausage ring and several great dips ever since.  We toured the town, which had completely unique shops, no chains, a nice mix of artistic and practical stuff, very fun.  We went to the beach, which was not warm but not horribly cold either considering that it was December.

We visited the art gallery and looked at all the pictures they had by that artist I liked.  I happened to mention in passing that I wished he had done one at my very favorite place in the Sierra, and the owner got all excited because apparently the artist HAD JUST BEEN THERE!  So he called him during the next week and asked him if he might paint a picture of MY FAVORITE LITTLE LAKE!  AND HE SAID YES!  (He never ever does commissions or repeats himself.  This was utter complete serendipity.)  About a month later I made a quick trip down and back to pick up the only commissioned Sierras painting he has ever done, wow!  I will treasure it for the rest of my life.

(I don't remember what we did when I turned 50, and neither does DH.  But 60 was insanely great.)

Edited by Carol in Cal.
  • Like 2

We've never made a big deal out of decade-marker birthdays.  Generally, there's been too much other stuff going on at the same time, and our birthdays never felt too important.   (Although of course we celebrated with a nice dinner out or something!)   BUT, if I was forced to celebrate in a special way, I'd plan a trip with my dh!  That would be special.   It would depend on available money and kids and all of that stuff, but we'd work something out depending on our circumstances.

I'd pick some fitness goal and a trip personally. For my 40th (which coincided with our 20th anniversary) we did a trip through Europe and I worked on pull-ups (still working). I want another big trip at the half decade if we can manage it, not sure on fitness, who knows where I'll be then.