Menu

Lousy shipping stories.....

Tap

I ordered a sweatshirt for dd on Nov 30th with regular free shipping. This was from Athleta (high end workout wear store very similar to LuLuLemon) which is owned by Gap/OldNavy etc, so not a small chain. I got notification it shipped today Dec 3, and will arrive Dec 13th. LOL  Wow, I think I have got things from overseas before in less that 2 weeks!  It wasn't out of stock. I have ordered from them before, and it always takes this long. It is kind odd in modern times, to wait 2 weeks for 1 in-stock item to arrive!  Especially from a higher end store! $5 item from Amazon--2 days. $80 sweatshirt--2 weeks. LOL If it was for Christmas, I wouldn't care too much. But I wanted it for her, this week. I think it said 7-9 days. Not to much of a big disappointment, since I figured as much, but still....14 days!  That is a lot!

Edited by Tap

I have a good one!  We had a postman for a while that was delivering our mail all over the place.  Neighbours kept bringing it.  we complained and then next delivery we got was left in the culvert beside the letter box.  At the time I had ordered stuff from the us $60 shipping plus three to six week lead time.  Instead of getting delivery to the door we usually get a slip telling us to go pick it up from the post office.  Anyway our lovely postman never delivered the slip so we didn’t pick it up in the timeframe.  And they SENT IT BACK TO THE US!!! I was so angry and extremely polite.  Thankfully the US company resent it cost free out of the goodness of their hearts ...  but I had to wait another four weeks.  

on top of that we also had late fees on bills that didn’t get delivered.  Thankfully they finally got rid of him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AK_Mom4 said:

Or being told you have to pay International Shipping to get things sent to Alaska.

People who live in the Scottish Highlands and Islands usually have to pay extra shipping too.  Given how small the UK is, that does seem extraordinary.  Cairndow, in the Highlands, is only 50 miles from Glasgow, which is a city of 500,000 people, and yet Cairndow people would be charged a supplement for shipping...

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, Tap said:

I ordered a sweatshirt for dd on Nov 30th with regular free shipping. This was from Athleta (high end workout wear store very similar to LuLuLemon) which is owned by Gap/OldNavy etc, so not a small chain. I got notification it shipped today Dec 3, and will arrive Dec 13th. LOL  Wow, I think I have got things from overseas before in less that 2 weeks!  It wasn't out of stock. I have ordered from them before, and it always takes this long. It is kind odd in modern times, to wait 2 weeks for 1 in-stock item to arrive!  Especially from a higher end store! $5 item from Amazon--2 days. $80 sweatshirt--2 weeks. LOL If it was for Christmas, I wouldn't care too much. But I wanted it for her, this week. I think it said 7-9 days. Not to much of a big disappointment, since I figured as much, but still....14 days!  That is a lot!

That is odd. I order from them all.the.time and always get my items within days, almost always at least a day earlier than they estimate. We don’t really live close to anywhere.

They did just have a big 20% off sale so maybe they are swamped? 

I ordered a device from Sweden that took awhile to arrive. It fell out of the poorly-taped package somewhere in the US and so all I received was an empty box. Of course, the company didn’t believe the box was empty but after a few calls, they were miraculously able to locate it.

On a related note, IKEA’s delivery service — XPO — has got to be the worst! Ikea is so good at everything else. (Well, except it will take 100s of calls just to get through to their customer service.) Just wish they could improve the delivery. 

26 minutes ago, BeachGal said:

I ordered a device from Sweden that took awhile to arrive. It fell out of the poorly-taped package somewhere in the US and so all I received was an empty box. Of course, the company didn’t believe the box was empty but after a few calls, they were miraculously able to locate it.

On a related note, IKEA’s delivery service — XPO — has got to be the worst! Ikea is so good at everything else. (Well, except it will take 100s of calls just to get through to their customer service.) Just wish they could improve the delivery. 

We must be lucky. We ordered kitchen cabinets from Ikea once and they delivered it 2 days later. It was well secured, they handled it all gently, and came on time.

• Like 1

Not sure if this qualifies, but I purchased something from a seller on Amazon. It never occurred to me to read the reviews of random sellers (I do now!). So I got notification that my item shipped...then nothing. I checked back in a few times and nothing changed. It said that the shipping slip was printed, or something like that. By the time a month had passed I finally checked out the seller's reviews, and that was happening to a lot of people. Basically the seller had been reputable at one point, but then I guess they ran out of stock. They started printing shipping labels to make it look like they were sending the items, and that was it. The responses from the seller to inquiries were very vague. By now their rating had plummeted as everyone was catching on to the scam. I can't imagine how much they got away with though, just selling items they never intended to send. 

I had to deal with Amazon to get a refund (they guarantee all sales on the site, even for independent sellers). It was hard because all they saw was that the item was shipped so they kept saying to wait longer. They eventually issued the refund. The seller remained in business for several months, and I couldn't understand why Amazon was letting them continue. They were the ones who had to pay refunds when the scam seller refused. I think the business finally folded. 

8 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

on top of that we also had late fees on bills that didn’t get delivered.  Thankfully they finally got rid of him.

I lost our mail key in August and requested a new one from the post office. I'm still waiting and in the meantime I have to go to the PO to pick up our mail. For some reason that I can't explain, we are not receiving all our bills. It's crazy! I don't understand how the mail never leaving the post office is causing it to get lost. I prefer paper bills so I can do line by line itemizing but I have now set as many bills as possible to digital.

My DH works for the PO in a different town and they have to replace mail locks within a week. I've been waiting months. Ugh!

I ordered some pants for ds the Sunday before Thanksgiving, in the store at a Old Navy because there was a good sale, but they didn’t have his size.  I realize that Thanksgiving is a holiday, but UPS said I would have them by the end of the day Saturday.  I was ok with that because ds needed them for Sunday.  They got transferred to USPS eventually and didn’t arrive until Tuesday.  I was a bit annoyed at the delay, especially because they said we would have them by Saturday.  It’s not the end of the world, but it seems like there should be some consequence when they don’t do what they promised.

15 hours ago, Tap said:

I got notification it shipped today Dec 3, and will arrive Dec 13th

I think that is a problem with the postal service, not the store. The store mailed the item promptly, and then they probably gave themselves some leeway with the time it will take for the post office to deliver. I get the same kind of notifications from Amazon (don't have prime).

I ordered something from Walmart the week before Thanksgiving that had 3 day shipping, and received a completely empty box. When I called Walmart customer service, they said they would send a replacement, but it won’t arrive until February 6. That’s not going to be much consolation for the person I was giving the item to as a Christmas gift. 

• Sad 4

18 minutes ago, PinkTulip said:

I ordered something from Walmart the week before Thanksgiving that had 3 day shipping, and received a completely empty box. When I called Walmart customer service, they said they would send a replacement, but it won’t arrive until February 6

Holy cow! Are they having someone walk it to your house?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm finding that this one day prime shipping really has me spoiled and has shifted my expectation for how long things can take. Amazon is building closer warehouses, running their own trucks. I ordered something from another vendor at comparable (actually slightly better!) prices, and it's is taking a full 5 days to get here. I was kind of flabbergasted. A few years ago that seemed normal, and now it's just turtle.

I don't see how the other vendors do anything about it. And I do wonder how UPS and FedEx are even staying in business now that amazon has completely dropped them. Around here, packages only come through amazon's own delivery system anymore. 

PS. On the plus side, the amazon drivers are very polite! I don't know if that's corporate culture or who they happened to have hired, dunno. I've just been surprised.

Edited by PeterPan

1 hour ago, Martha in GA said:

Holy cow! Are they having someone walk it to your house?

Right?! Needless to say, I canceled the replacement and found the item for even less from Amazon on Black Friday. It arrived yesterday so I’m feeling happy. Now just keeping my fingers crossed Walmart will actually refund my money. They said that takes 5 days. (Insert eye roll emoji!)

• Like 2

Getting things to NZ can be fun.  When we got samples from Australia when I worked in a lab they would take 24 hours to get to Auckland then another week to get to us.  Try testing week old unrefrigerated shellfish samples.  It is also hard to get something across town by post in less than a week because the ship everything to the nearest central processing about 6 hours away, sort it then ship it back.  But they only deliver 3 times a week.  The hospital had so many appointments missed because people didn't get the appointment card that they have given up and use a different system.  It says something when government departments don't use the national Postal service.  A rural address costs an extra $3.70 and can add up to a week.  

I ordered something from Kohls that is ceramic.  When they sent it, UPS stopped it as they realized it was damaged and returned it back to kohl’s. What did Kohl’s do?  They put it back in shipping ( same package, same day) and tried to send it again which has tagged it damaged and sent it back again to kohl’s.  So tomorrow I get to explain to kohl’s once again that I need a refund as the item is sold out.  

13 hours ago, stephanier.1765 said:

I lost our mail key in August and requested a new one from the post office. I'm still waiting and in the meantime I have to go to the PO to pick up our mail. For some reason that I can't explain, we are not receiving all our bills. It's crazy! I don't understand how the mail never leaving the post office is causing it to get lost. I prefer paper bills so I can do line by line itemizing but I have now set as many bills as possible to digital.

My DH works for the PO in a different town and they have to replace mail locks within a week. I've been waiting months. Ugh!

We have got caught out the other way with email where the insurance company got our email address wrong.  We rang to check that everything was renewed but they missed one policy that had expired by a couple of months.  Cost us three months of stress when we came to put a claim in but they finally honoured it.  So we are back to paper renewal on everything though that also obviously has its risks.  I really want to set up a calendar with renewal dates etc.

• Like 1