Menu

November Well-Trained Bodies

Soror

Hello ladies!

I hope we all have wonderful months, so many of us have been sick already, let's hope for a break from more illness.

I am feeling much better, allergies are considerably improved and I've recovered from the flu. 

I'm planning on finishing out the year strong.

I want to finally nail my deadhang pullup by the end of the year. After another setback in July when I was inches away I'm more determined than ever and also cautious to take care so I do not hurt myself, strength must be added very incrementally with lots of recovery time. I'm dutifully following the Ultimate Pull-Up Program and aiming to take it nice and slow.

I've added in the Morning Meltdown program from Beachbody, I had been wanting to add something but couldn't figure out what. I am happy with my strength work(and will only be adding in 1 day of the lower body and core work from MM and skipping the upperbody/full body lifting days). I  added it primarily for some HIIT work with variety and also some stretching and recovery. I am pleased so far, the HIIT works at home b/c I can push myself to my capabilities and don't feel pressure to overdo it. I have modified the schedule to fit with what I'm doing and have 1 week down/14 to go (10 by the end of November).

November Goals:

3 x week- Ultimate Pull-Up Program

4-5x a week- Morning Meltdown- 2- 3 days HiiT/Cardio; 1 day yoga/recovery; 1 day lower body or core 

Continue walking and hiking when I can and the weather cooperates. I aim to average 10k+ steps. I'd like to hit more but I'll be happy with that for now.

Food is focused on whole foods that make me feel good after too much busyness and dried and cold food (camping), I'm craving nice fresh food to get back to normal.

Sleep needs some work. I go to bed with plenty of time for sleep but (1) I've been waking up EARLY or in the middle of the night and (2) the time change usually totally screws me up especially with my early morning job and having to get up at 4:30 6 days a week, I will likely be napping and taking melatonin for the foreseeable future. I just hope that my sleep lines out faster than it did last year. 

Today is: Core

Edited by soror
  • Like 5

I have my half marathon this Sunday. I feel ready. This is my taper week so it much going on.  A few runs earlier this week. Now resting, drinking plenty of water and eating good food. 

I haven’t figured out my next race goal. My husband mentioned going away and doing a half marathon in March. That would be my first choice but he’d have to commit and right now that’s the hold up. If we did that I may try a trail half in February. The other choice is a local full marathon in March. That would be cool too but there’s a 6 1/2 hour cut off. I’m not confident I can make the cut off but I won’t know until I’m well into training and doing the 20 mile long runs. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, hshibley said:

I have my half marathon this Sunday. I feel ready. This is my taper week so it much going on.  A few runs earlier this week. Now resting, drinking plenty of water and eating good food. 

I haven’t figured out my next race goal. My husband mentioned going away and doing a half marathon in March. That would be my first choice but he’d have to commit and right now that’s the hold up. If we did that I may try a trail half in February. The other choice is a local full marathon in March. That would be cool too but there’s a 6 1/2 hour cut off. I’m not confident I can make the cut off but I won’t know until I’m well into training and doing the 20 mile long runs. 

Good luck on the race Sunday if I don't 'see' you before then. Your dh will have to decide so you can pick a goal!!!

Core done/24 min

Nothing else planned except general activity and walking.

• Like 3

November Goals:

- Pick up the exercise habit (again).  This is my perpetual goal.  I was running like a champ this summer and fall, then a long break.  Time to get back to it.  

- Food.  Since the stomach flu, nothing sounds good to me.  It's not stopping me from eating, but everything just tastes meh.  I can't even name a food right now that I'd love to eat at the moment.  Not even cheesecake.  🤷‍♀️   

Have a great month, everyone!  

• Like 4

Thanks so much for starting the Nov thread, soror! Glad you are feeling better.

I've had some health issues this past week, so my exercise has taken a back seat. As soon as things are back under control, I'll get back to hiking, biking and playing tennis as much as I can. 

My November goals:

- stay positive and keep reminding myself of all the good things in my life

- keep eating food that doesn't cause me pain and tastes great

- keep active as much as possible, especially during the daylight hours

• Like 5

I need to join you this month. I have not been getting any exercise to speak of, and I think my muscles have gone wilty. We're going to have guests for 10 of the next 29 days. I'm going to set an achievable (I think) goal of deliberate exercise (any kind) for at least 7 minutes at a time on at least 6 different days this month.

I also need to make two phone calls for medical appointments.

Edited by whitehawk
  • Like 6

While I had a very potato-like morning (taking a rest day from OT after all that Hell, lol), dh and I decided to go to a challenge contra dance this evening, and that got me to over 11K steps, yay.   First time we've been to the challenge contras - some really intricate patterns - a workout for the brain, too!  Way fun, though.

• Like 6

20 hours ago, hshibley said:

Good luck!

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Slache said:

I got 3,000 steps for this.

No wonder I haven't been losing weight... I switched 3/4ths of the kids over to folding their own stuff!  🤦‍♀️

-----------

Started off strong with a 5k run this morning!  Go November!!!  In the rain, no less.  Had a couple near wipe-outs in some muddy grass, lol.  DS12 went with me.    

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Goals for the month:

Nordic Walking twice a week, at least one in daylight

Lunchtime walks at least four times a week

Strength exercise of some kind at least three times a week

Yoga at least once a week

Improved movement during the work day, and trying out a sit/stand desk

Food: carry on with my slightly reduced consumption until I get to a good level to bounce back into my comfortable range. Thereafter, carry on with lighter lunches in order not to go back to gaining.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

Started off strong with a 5k run this morning!  Go November!!!  In the rain, no less.  Had a couple near wipe-outs in some muddy grass, lol.  DS12 went with me.    

Good job starting off the month with a run.

7 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

While I had a very potato-like morning (taking a rest day from OT after all that Hell, lol), dh and I decided to go to a challenge contra dance this evening, and that got me to over 11K steps, yay.   First time we've been to the challenge contras - some really intricate patterns - a workout for the brain, too!  Way fun, though.

I don't even know what that is but good for you! Dh and I did a couple of ballroom dancing classes but it really didn't work for our schedule.

11 hours ago, whitehawk said:

I need to join you this month. I have not been getting any exercise to speak of, and I think my muscles have gone wilty. We're going to have guests for 10 of the next 29 days. I'm going to set an achievable (I think) goal of deliberate exercise (any kind) for at least 7 minutes at a time on at least 6 different days this month.

I also need to make two phone calls for medical appointments.

Welcome! Great way to make goals, best wishes in getting them done, make sure to report in!

11 hours ago, Slache said:

I got 3,000 steps for this.

LOL, I know Fitbit counts a ton of steps for folding clothes, it is all the wrist movement. I usually take mine off when I do laundry, it is a real fast way to get numbers up though!!

13 hours ago, wintermom said:

Thanks so much for starting the Nov thread, soror! Glad you are feeling better.

I've had some health issues this past week, so my exercise has taken a back seat. As soon as things are back under control, I'll get back to hiking, biking and playing tennis as much as I can. 

My November goals:

- stay positive and keep reminding myself of all the good things in my life

- keep eating food that doesn't cause me pain and tastes great

- keep active as much as possible, especially during the daylight hours

How are the health issues now? Any new news?? Good goals!

My sleep is still not right and I don't know why. I usually sleep the absolute best at the beginning of my cycle, nope. I've cut the Flonase, all the supplements that give energy (D, iron, b's). I go to bed at a regular time. I added in melatonin to the magnesium I take in the evening. I don't know if it is hormones (my mood is honestly off now) or some other random thing. Still trying to recover from busyness and crazyness camping screwing up my schedule? New exercise increasing adrenaline?? I nearly always do higher intensity exercise in the am so it hopefully doesn't mess with my sleep. I'm averaging 6-6.5 hrs of sleep.I got 2 days in a row of around 7.5 but then back down 6 and last night 6.5. And next week with the time change, I'm slightly, entirely terrified. I think I am going to tweak the girls schedule, so they might have some things in the afternoon on their own but they are done with me by lunch. I will be finishing teaching earlier, by 7 or at latest 8.

I ate too much yesterday. I should have made myself take a nap but by the time I was ready for one I didn't have the time, as it goes. I had 5 bite size pieces of chocolate from the girls' halloween stashes, the rest was real whole food, just too much.

Today I'm working out with my friend, we've not been able to make it together in over a month, so I'm looking forward to it.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, soror said:

How are the health issues now? Any new news?? Good goals!

My sleep is still not right and I don't know why. I usually sleep the absolute best at the beginning of my cycle, nope. I've cut the Flonase, all the supplements that give energy (D, iron, b's). I go to bed at a regular time. I added in melatonin to the magnesium I take in the evening. I don't know if it is hormones (my mood is honestly off now) or some other random thing. Still trying to recover from busyness and crazyness camping screwing up my schedule? New exercise increasing adrenaline?? I nearly always do higher intensity exercise in the am so it hopefully doesn't mess with my sleep. I'm averaging 6-6.5 hrs of sleep.I got 2 days in a row of around 7.5 but then back down 6 and last night 6.5. And next week with the time change, I'm slightly, entirely terrified. I think I am going to tweak the girls schedule, so they might have some things in the afternoon on their own but they are done with me by lunch. I will be finishing teaching earlier, by 7 or at latest 8.

I ate too much yesterday. I should have made myself take a nap but by the time I was ready for one I didn't have the time, as it goes. I had 5 bite size pieces of chocolate from the girls' halloween stashes, the rest was real whole food, just too much.

Today I'm working out with my friend, we've not been able to make it together in over a month, so I'm looking forward to it.

Good news is that supposedly my heart and gall bladder are fine. I still don't know why I'm feeling pain in the chest and abdomen, but I'll just ignore it and carry on with normal life. 

Sorry you're having trouble sleeping. So common for ladies in pre-menopause. The hormone fluctuations can be tough to navigate. I went through a few months of not sleeping for no reason. I just gave up and told myself that I'll never figure out why this is happening other than "hormones," so don't worry about it. Hot baths are my go-to fix for restless legs and sleep difficulty. It usually does the trick for me now.  Hope you find a working solution for yourself. 

I don't want the time change to happen, either. It always messes me up. Just stay calm, breathe and eat dark chocolate, right? 😉

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, wintermom said:

Good news is that supposedly my heart and gall bladder are fine. I still don't know why I'm feeling pain in the chest and abdomen, but I'll just ignore it and carry on with normal life. 

Sorry you're having trouble sleeping. So common for ladies in pre-menopause. The hormone fluctuations can be tough to navigate. I went through a few months of not sleeping for no reason. I just gave up and told myself that I'll never figure out why this is happening other than "hormones," so don't worry about it. Hot baths are my go-to fix for restless legs and sleep difficulty. It usually does the trick for me now.  Hope you find a working solution for yourself. 

I don't want the time change to happen, either. It always messes me up. Just stay calm, breathe and eat dark chocolate, right? 😉

Well, I'm glad that some things have been ruled out, although it is no good if you are still having trouble.

I know peri and menopause, another one of our gifts. I'm not sure what else to tweak on my end so I might as well just schedule naps and move on with it. Physically I'm feeling pretty good other than the tiredness here and there but even that has been worse. My workout capacity is increased. IDK

• Like 3

Do you guys remember a few years ago when I logged EVERYTHING about my body? Calories, sugar, dairy, grain and water consumption, bowel movements and urine color, steps, workouts and teA, back and foot pain, sleep... and I learned a bunch about myself? I'm doing that again this January.

• Like 5

Went to my OT workout this morning; my Fitbit briefly decided daylight savings had started a day early; good thing dh told me what time it really was.  The Fitbit said it was 7:20 when it was 8:20 - I checked this four times, the last one simultaneous with my phone which had the correct time, so I didn't imagine it.  But by 9am it was back to the correct time.  Really weird.

Only other thing today is dh asked me to come out and rake leaves, which I'll do after coffee and just a bit of rest....

4 hours ago, soror said:

I don't even know what that is but good for you! Dh and I did a couple of ballroom dancing classes but it really didn't work for our schedule.

I don't think contra dancing is a thing outside New England, but around here you could go almost every night of the week if you were willing to travel a bit.  It's most similar to the English country dancing you see in Jane Austen movies, but without the nice dresses (although they do have a Regency contra dance once a year where people dress up that way, but I've never been).  It's a called dance like square dancing, and many of the moves are the same, but it's in lines (but nothing at all like "line dancing" - the lines are of couples, moving and dancing with each other in patterns toward opposite ends of the room).  The challenge ones are for people who already know what they're doing so can be a lot more complicated.  We did a crazy one last night where we actually had lines of squares, we'd dance in the squares, but then some couples would turn out and switch squares, and you ended up in squares all over the room, moving from back to front and from line to line.

I actually met dh contra dancing.  He found his way there after being in the MIT Square Dance club - the kind with records and western costumes (he didn't go to MIT, but neither did I, and I was in the MIT Ballroom Dance club for a while - they're open to whomever.  I joke to dh if we'd just joined the same club instead we could have met a few years earlier).  I ended up there because I was briefly dating someone else.  I'd honestly prefer to ballroom dance, but lessons and $$, and dh would rather not.  This we can just go to.  We barely went for years, got too busy, but now that the kids are off it seems a nice thing to do with each other - and it is exercise!

Contra dancing has a live band that plays things that sound like Celtic reels with fiddles, mandolins, accordions, piano, Irish pennywhistle and the like.  There's a lot of swinging of the partner, so among the experienced crowd, most people wear skirts, including an ever increasing number of the men (dh wears pants!)

I almost never get more than 6-6.5 hours sleep, or so my Fitbit says.  Darn thing subtracts how many hours I'm awake at night, so I guess I can't just count from the hour I go upstairs to the hour I wake up.  I don't seem to function too badly like this; dh needs way more sleep than I do.  6 is probably not enough.  I set my Fitbit goal to 6.5, but I don't even meet that all that often... 😒

1 hour ago, Slache said:

Do you guys remember a few years ago when I logged EVERYTHING about my body? Calories, sugar, dairy, grain and water consumption, bowel movements and urine color, steps, workouts and teA, back and foot pain, sleep... and I learned a bunch about myself? I'm doing that again this January.

Wow, that's more work than I could maintain!  What seems to work for me is some level of autopilot; the key is getting the autopilot to include good habits like working out and eating right.  But what works for everyone is so different - and I'm sure you will learn a whole bunch about yourself!  

And speaking of autopilot, my goals for this month are pretty much rinse and repeat - keep up 5x/week at OT, keep eating what's been working (currently just trying to maintain, although I did see a new number on the scale again this week!  If I break 130, there must be a party - although I feel like I'm at a healthy weight, so I'm not going to kill myself trying).  New habit to add would be to try to do active things with dh more - contra dancing, and maybe I could get him biking with me at least once before the weather gets too cold.  And yes, probably should try to consistently get to bed at a more reasonable hour so I get more sleep.  My Fitbit sleep scores are rather pitiful.

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 6

I'm a little over halfway through Morning Meltdown 100, I did workouts 54 and 55 yesterday. I've also been hauling and stacking lots of firewood, so that's a workout in itself, and when we weaned calves and other cow work the last couple weeks I often got in 17,000 to 25,000 steps a day.  For a good chunk of the year I got into the great habit of taking the dogs for long walks almost every day, and even did a bit of running.  As summer wound down and fall started to arrive, the bears got a lot bolder as they're pushing to put more fat on for the winter.  That means they're out and about more and seem less fearful of people, so I'm not so keen to go too far from the farmyard with just the dogs (they are chickens at heart).  The black bears don't worry me too much, but we've had tons of grizzly activity this year.  I bought the kids air-horns to carry when they're playing outside in the forest because they didn't like carrying a big can of bear spray, so I should just borrow one of theirs and restart my walking routine.  Eating hasn't been too bad, but I need to make sure I am drinking more water and keeping my veggie consumption up.  I got spoiled this summer with all the beautiful lettuce and other produce from my garden...we ate all the salad we could hold.  Now the garden is done and it's back to buying lettuce and spinach and such from the store.  Here in small town British Columbia, the greens seem to be half-wilted before they even get to the grocery store.  Squash is one of my go-to winter veggies, but a grizzly bear destroyed virtually all of my squash and pumpkins this year, so I have to buy them at the store 😞 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, soror said:

Well, I'm glad that some things have been ruled out, although it is no good if you are still having trouble.

I know peri and menopause, another one of our gifts. I'm not sure what else to tweak on my end so I might as well just schedule naps and move on with it. Physically I'm feeling pretty good other than the tiredness here and there but even that has been worse. My workout capacity is increased. IDK

I really enjoyed the book What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Premenopause.  

• Like 5

I'm reading 'Gut' at the moment.  Very interesting, and the tone is like Horrible Science for adults.  

Nordic Walked this morning, then walked the dog. 

There's been a hummus contamination scare here and there's none on the shop shelves.  Even though Husband and I are competent cooks, we have never been happy with our home-made hummus in the past.  I tried again today with a new recipe and this batch is okay, so that's good to know.  If it's around, Husband'll eat a lot with savoury oatcakes, and that's healthier than a lot of the alternatives.

We have an old cooking apple tree in the garden, so I've been looking for things to do with the apples that aren't too sweet.  I think I'm going to try this without the maple syrup, but add in some oat milk and oats to keep my oat intake up (a priority for me as I've finally got my blood work to a good place), making two or three servings.  

https://ohmyveggies.com/marketplace/green-apple-pie-smoothie/

Just off to do some strength yoga with Adriene.  Husband is cooking - it's beef haddock in some format, but he'll also make double veggies for me.

https://yogawithadriene.com/yoga-for-strength/

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 5

I know it's a long ways away, but I've decided to do Whole 30 again in January. If anyone wants to do it with me, I'd love some buddies.

Nov goals: keep on keeping on. Exercise 4 days a week. Stay mostly off of grains, sugar, and dairy. I'm holding steady at 144, which is a weight that I feel good about. I still have some to lose, but I'm ok with it going slowly. I'd really like to break past 143, the weight that I historically stall out at, and maybe make it to 141-142 by the end of the month. I lost 4 pounds in October.

Goals for this week:  have a big salad every day. I've noticed that a nice big lunch salad makes all the difference in my hunger. Exercise 4 days (barre, piloxing, elliptical).

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, sassenach said:

I know it's a long ways away, but I've decided to do Whole 30 again in January. If anyone wants to do it with me, I'd love some buddies.

We're doing this (not the kids). I fast breakfast, have a salad for lunch, and a traditional Whole30 dinner. I'm hoping for a Whole60 combined with Insanity by Beachbody. Then we're going to New Orleans for a weekend so I can ruin everything.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

Went to my OT workout this morning; my Fitbit briefly decided daylight savings had started a day early; good thing dh told me what time it really was.  The Fitbit said it was 7:20 when it was 8:20 - I checked this four times, the last one simultaneous with my phone which had the correct time, so I didn't imagine it.  But by 9am it was back to the correct time.  Really weird.

Only other thing today is dh asked me to come out and rake leaves, which I'll do after coffee and just a bit of rest....

I don't think contra dancing is a thing outside New England, but around here you could go almost every night of the week if you were willing to travel a bit.  It's most similar to the English country dancing you see in Jane Austen movies, but without the nice dresses (although they do have a Regency contra dance once a year where people dress up that way, but I've never been).  It's a called dance like square dancing, and many of the moves are the same, but it's in lines (but nothing at all like "line dancing" - the lines are of couples, moving and dancing with each other in patterns toward opposite ends of the room).  The challenge ones are for people who already know what they're doing so can be a lot more complicated.  We did a crazy one last night where we actually had lines of squares, we'd dance in the squares, but then some couples would turn out and switch squares, and you ended up in squares all over the room, moving from back to front and from line to line.

I actually met dh contra dancing.  He found his way there after being in the MIT Square Dance club - the kind with records and western costumes (he didn't go to MIT, but neither did I, and I was in the MIT Ballroom Dance club for a while - they're open to whomever.  I joke to dh if we'd just joined the same club instead we could have met a few years earlier).  I ended up there because I was briefly dating someone else.  I'd honestly prefer to ballroom dance, but lessons and $$, and dh would rather not.  This we can just go to.  We barely went for years, got too busy, but now that the kids are off it seems a nice thing to do with each other - and it is exercise!

Contra dancing has a live band that plays things that sound like Celtic reels with fiddles, mandolins, accordions, piano, Irish pennywhistle and the like.  There's a lot of swinging of the partner, so among the experienced crowd, most people wear skirts, including an ever increasing number of the men (dh wears pants!)

I almost never get more than 6-6.5 hours sleep, or so my Fitbit says.  Darn thing subtracts how many hours I'm awake at night, so I guess I can't just count from the hour I go upstairs to the hour I wake up.  I don't seem to function too badly like this; dh needs way more sleep than I do.  6 is probably not enough.  I set my Fitbit goal to 6.5, but I don't even meet that all that often... 😒

Wow, that's more work than I could maintain!  What seems to work for me is some level of autopilot; the key is getting the autopilot to include good habits like working out and eating right.  But what works for everyone is so different - and I'm sure you will learn a whole bunch about yourself!  

And speaking of autopilot, my goals for this month are pretty much rinse and repeat - keep up 5x/week at OT, keep eating what's been working (currently just trying to maintain, although I did see a new number on the scale again this week!  If I break 130, there must be a party - although I feel like I'm at a healthy weight, so I'm not going to kill myself trying).  New habit to add would be to try to do active things with dh more - contra dancing, and maybe I could get him biking with me at least once before the weather gets too cold.  And yes, probably should try to consistently get to bed at a more reasonable hour so I get more sleep.  My Fitbit sleep scores are rather pitiful.

Thank you for explaining about the dancing, it sounds interesting and fun. I love being active with dh, we're just happy for any time together now, we get little walks here and there but that has been it since summer. There is something about breaking into a new 'decade' of weight, maybe you'll hit it this month. I think 7-7.5 hrs is a good amount of sleep if it is solid,  I'll just have to keep working on it🙂

6 hours ago, Slache said:

November goals:

• Reestablish a workout routine
  • Reestablish a sleeping routine
  • Work on water consumption

The next 2 months will be difficult here. Right now I just need to get through.

Great goals, best wishes in getting back in your groove.

3 hours ago, whitehawk said:

I'm kind of in shock that both medical offices had someone to answer the phone on a Saturday. Appointments made! and one day of exercise done.

Ya, that is great, good to get it over with and exercise done, good job.

3 hours ago, FarmingMomma said:

I'm a little over halfway through Morning Meltdown 100, I did workouts 54 and 55 yesterday. I've also been hauling and stacking lots of firewood, so that's a workout in itself, and when we weaned calves and other cow work the last couple weeks I often got in 17,000 to 25,000 steps a day.  For a good chunk of the year I got into the great habit of taking the dogs for long walks almost every day, and even did a bit of running.  As summer wound down and fall started to arrive, the bears got a lot bolder as they're pushing to put more fat on for the winter.  That means they're out and about more and seem less fearful of people, so I'm not so keen to go too far from the farmyard with just the dogs (they are chickens at heart).  The black bears don't worry me too much, but we've had tons of grizzly activity this year.  I bought the kids air-horns to carry when they're playing outside in the forest because they didn't like carrying a big can of bear spray, so I should just borrow one of theirs and restart my walking routine.  Eating hasn't been too bad, but I need to make sure I am drinking more water and keeping my veggie consumption up.  I got spoiled this summer with all the beautiful lettuce and other produce from my garden...we ate all the salad we could hold.  Now the garden is done and it's back to buying lettuce and spinach and such from the store.  Here in small town British Columbia, the greens seem to be half-wilted before they even get to the grocery store.  Squash is one of my go-to winter veggies, but a grizzly bear destroyed virtually all of my squash and pumpkins this year, so I have to buy them at the store 😞 

How are you enjoying Morning Meltdown? I'm just 1.5 weeks in and enjoying it so far, although I'm doing it with a strength program so skipping some things. Bears, are scary! I've seen wild hogs here but that is not a frequent occurrence. I didn't even bother trying to garden with our big vaca this year, maybe next year, we do get good produce in the store though, that sure helps.

2 hours ago, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

I really enjoyed the book What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Premenopause.  

Thank you for the rec, I've been reading about peri and meno online but not any books yet.

1 hour ago, sassenach said:

Nov goals: keep on keeping on. Exercise 4 days a week. Stay mostly off of grains, sugar, and dairy. I'm holding steady at 144, which is a weight that I feel good about. I still have some to lose, but I'm ok with it going slowly. I'd really like to break past 143, the weight that I historically stall out at, and maybe make it to 141-142 by the end of the month. I lost 4 pounds in October.

Goals for this week:  have a big salad every day. I've noticed that a nice big lunch salad makes all the difference in my hunger. Exercise 4 days (barre, piloxing, elliptical).

Congrats on the progress, keeping with it is everything, good luck for this month!

Edited by soror
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

I'm reading 'Gut' at the moment.  Very interesting, and the tone is like Horrible Science for adults.  

Nordic Walked this morning, then walked the dog. 

There's been a hummus contamination scare here and there's none on the shop shelves.  Even though Husband and I are competent cooks, we have never been happy with our home-made hummus in the past.  I tried again today with a new recipe and this batch is okay, so that's good to know.  If it's around, Husband'll eat a lot with savoury oatcakes, and that's healthier than a lot of the alternatives.

We have an old cooking apple tree in the garden, so I've been looking for things to do with the apples that aren't too sweet.  I think I'm going to try this without the maple syrup, but add in some oat milk and oats to keep my oat intake up (a priority for me as I've finally got my blood work to a good place), making two or three servings.  

https://ohmyveggies.com/marketplace/green-apple-pie-smoothie/

Just off to do some strength yoga with Adriene.  Husband is cooking - it's beef haddock in some format, but he'll also make double veggies for me.

https://yogawithadriene.com/yoga-for-strength/

Thanks for the book rec too. I was enjoying hummus but realized it was upsetting my stomach, I've not tried homemade in forever though. Good job on the yoga and let us know how you like the recipes

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, soror said:

How are you enjoying Morning Meltdown? I'm just 1.5 weeks in and enjoying it so far, although I'm doing it with a strength program so skipping some things. Bears, are scary! I've seen wild hogs here but that is not a frequent occurrence. I didn't even bother trying to garden with our big vaca this year, maybe next year, we do get good produce in the store though, that sure helps.

I've enjoyed it, but I'm kind of feeling it's not pushing me as hard as some of the other Beachbody programs I've done.  It's worked well since fall is a busy season for us and I don't have a ton of time for long workouts.  After I finish Morning Meltdown I think I'm going to try 80 day obsession again.  I've started it twice, and failed to finish it both times because life got too busy and I didn't have time for nearly hour long workouts.  I think I can do it this winter as long as I get it done before calving season starts in mid-March.  

• Like 5

1 minute ago, FarmingMomma said:

I've enjoyed it, but I'm kind of feeling it's not pushing me as hard as some of the other Beachbody programs I've done.  It's worked well since fall is a busy season for us and I don't have a ton of time for long workouts.  After I finish Morning Meltdown I think I'm going to try 80 day obsession again.  I've started it twice, and failed to finish it both times because life got too busy and I didn't have time for nearly hour long workouts.  I think I can do it this winter as long as I get it done before calving season starts in mid-March.  

Thanks for the thoughts, I hear you on fall, it is so crazy. I'm waiting to see how it goes with my new schedule on Monday, I'll have less time but it is going to screw up my sleep, we'll see. I am planning on finishing this program and then we'll see, how I feel about continuing w/ BB online.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, FarmingMomma said:

It sounds like life on a farm is a workout in itself!  And bears, oh, my!!  We have black bears around here, but as you say, they seem to mostly keep to themselves (except for the one who got into the neighbor's chickens and had to be shot 😕) but grizzlies terrify me!  That's a whole 'nother level...

I did get in some of that yard work with dh, mostly dumping wheelbarrows of leaves he mowed up with the mulching mower.  

Your garden stories are reminding me that that's a goal I'd like for next year - getting my gardening going again.  We compost and also back where we dump all those leaves and grass clippings is basically years of open composting; we should have some fabulous soil...

13 minutes ago, soror said:

And I indulged in halloween candy this afternoon, ick, but have not been as hungry today, so we'll call it a win.

The kids are all out of the house, and we live on an old street with no sidewalks and the streets really far apart - we haven't had trick or treaters in years, so I didn't even buy any candy.  But I did buy myself a small bag of Lily's stevia-sweetened dark chocolate peanut butter cups.  That's my Halloween treat, and actually way yummier than Reese's (which are normally my big Halloween weakness).

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 4

42 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

The kids are all out of the house, and we live on an old street with no sidewalks and the streets really far apart - we haven't had trick or treaters in years, so I didn't even buy any candy.  But I did buy myself a small bag of Lily's stevia-sweetened dark chocolate peanut butter cups.  That's my Halloween treat, and actually way yummier than Reese's (which are normally my big Halloween weakness).

Oh, I much prefer dark choco pb cups. No ToTers but the kids got plenty of candy when we took them out.

I got this book at the library- You Are What Your Grandparents Ate- it was on the new shelf and I thought it sounded interesting.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, soror said:

Thanks for the book rec too. I was enjoying hummus but realized it was upsetting my stomach, I've not tried homemade in forever though. Good job on the yoga and let us know how you like the recipes

Recipe postponed. Husband cooked the spinach I was going to use. I forgot to tell him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Apparently I come here to talk about what I should do then never ever do it.  I get enough sleep.  That's my super power.  I've been doing the Plant Nanny app for a few weeks so I'm finally FINALLY drinking enough water for the first time in my adult life.  (I don't want my plants to be sad!) Even though I'm in the dance studio several hours a week, it is no longer enough to keep me in shape.  I've hit middle age and need to add some cardio and strength training or resign myself to wearing bigger clothes.  It could go either way at this point.  I have a home studio, so I have no excuses as far as indoor space is concerned.  I just need to find a way to form some new habits.  Adding some power walks and push-ups to my life would probably go a long way.  I'm bad at unsupervised exercise.  Garden chores are winding way down and I like to hibernate when the days are short.  I need to acquire a power walking buddy.

• Like 4

Apparently there are 15 min. yoga videos and then there are 15 min. yoga videos. I've been enjoying some short sessions on YouTube after work. (I found the one by Adriene too talky, but love the pair of after work yoga videos put out by Rachel Scott.) I thought I would give The Ultimate Yogi a quick try today. I may not be able to lift my arms tomorrow. That is all.

Edited by KathyBC
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, KathyBC said:

Apparently there are 15 min. yoga videos and then there are 15 min. yoga videos. I've been enjoying some short sessions on YouTube after work. (I found the one by Adriene too talky, but love the pair of after work yoga videos put out by Rachel Scott.) I thought I would give The Ultimate Yogi a quick try today. I may not be able to lift my arms tomorrow. That is all.

Maybe that's what I need - looking for more strength.

ETA ooh, he has a really irritating manner though. Hate that rough tic to the ends of his sentences 

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 3

Hi ladies, just wanted to join y'all.  I've been off the boards for several months (busyness and stress) but I used to be very active in the Weightloss group.  I'm switching over here since I'm basically in maintenance mode (I finally got to my goal weight, @soror!) and my focus is definitely more on my training than weight now.  I do martial arts classes 3 or 4x a week, plus strength training and martial arts drills basically every morning. 

My goals for November: keep progressing with strength training without irritating some nagging elbow and low back issues, improve balance and foot stability in my martial arts patterns and drills, and make progress toward my goal of hitting 5x3 chin ups by the end of the year (I'm at 5, 4, 4 on a really good day right now). 

I read through a couple of the previous months' threads and I'm looking forward to checking in with y'all!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IvyInFlorida said:

Hi ladies, just wanted to join y'all.  I've been off the boards for several months (busyness and stress) but I used to be very active in the Weightloss group.  I'm switching over here since I'm basically in maintenance mode (I finally got to my goal weight, @soror!) and my focus is definitely more on my training than weight now.  I do martial arts classes 3 or 4x a week, plus strength training and martial arts drills basically every morning. 

My goals for November: keep progressing with strength training without irritating some nagging elbow and low back issues, improve balance and foot stability in my martial arts patterns and drills, and make progress toward my goal of hitting 5x3 chin ups by the end of the year (I'm at 5, 4, 4 on a really good day right now). 

I read through a couple of the previous months' threads and I'm looking forward to checking in with y'all!

IVY!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so happy to 'see' you!!! I need all the updates! Where are you in martial arts? And you finally hit your goal, yipee!!!! How are the boys?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

Apparently I come here to talk about what I should do then never ever do it.  I get enough sleep.  That's my super power.  I've been doing the Plant Nanny app for a few weeks so I'm finally FINALLY drinking enough water for the first time in my adult life.  (I don't want my plants to be sad!) Even though I'm in the dance studio several hours a week, it is no longer enough to keep me in shape.  I've hit middle age and need to add some cardio and strength training or resign myself to wearing bigger clothes.  It could go either way at this point.  I have a home studio, so I have no excuses as far as indoor space is concerned.  I just need to find a way to form some new habits.  Adding some power walks and push-ups to my life would probably go a long way.  I'm bad at unsupervised exercise.  Garden chores are winding way down and I like to hibernate when the days are short.  I need to acquire a power walking buddy.

LOL, that is a great super power. Best wishes deciding on your goals.

11 hours ago, KathyBC said:

LOL, yes, there are massive differences in different instructors. I use to have an Ultimate Yogi video (loaned it to someone who never returned it), the one I had was 3 different sessions and were a good level of challenge, his personality gave me a surfer vibe but I enjoyed it well enough.

1 hour ago, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

Another run today -  5k with 3 hill sprint repetitions.  Ran with DS.  He kicked my butt on the sprints!  

Good job! I used to be able to beat all the kids of course, ds (15) has been able to beat me for a couple of years and dd1(12) can now beat me sometimes, sigh.

I slept last night, all night, solid. Just a few minutes shy of 8 hrs but the time change has got my watch confused and says nearly 7 hrs. As of late I've had little red lines going all throughout my sleep graph, all night long, but no red lines last night and barely any restlessness. BUT Fitbit is not giving me a sleep score, I was so excited to bring up my average.

Today is an exercise rest day and lots of cleaning house, I'm so excited to have nothing planned, except picking up ds from his sleepover. I am hopeful that I can get caught up.

today's food;

2 eggs; 1 slice uncured bacon- w/ whole grain/seed gf bread(w/ grassfed butter) and homemade sweet potato hash (after so many days/weeks of oats I'm back on an egg kick)

tuna open faced on 1/2 a gf bagel and salad(evoo + balsamic) w/ apple

snacks- as wanted- homemade 'fudge' (coco oil, cocoa, and honey from our hives)/cottage cheese w/ pineapple/greek yogurt w/ berries and nuts

baked Greek chicken w/ roasted veggies (baby potatoes, squash, yellow bell pepper, and red onion)

• Like 5

1 hour ago, soror said:

IVY!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so happy to 'see' you!!! I need all the updates! Where are you in martial arts? And you finally hit your goal, yipee!!!! How are the boys?

Yay, it's good to see you too!!!  I've missed our chats!

CKD is going really well--my son and I are about 6 months from black belt, which is crazy.  We have another color belt test in 2 weeks, feeling pretty good about that.  One of the black belt requirements that I was worried about is attacking the air shield (portable punching bag someone holds) for 3 mins non-stop.  But recently my son and I have been doing that successfully about once a week, so whew.  Now we just have to do it against 2 attackers holding air shields, lol.  Classes are getting to be a lot more cardio/HIIT now that we have so much technique and so many patterns/drills to practice all in a row.  I'm usually pretty wiped out when I get home!

Strength-training-wise I have transitioned from mostly bodyweight movements to dumbbells and kettlebells.  I'm slowly acquiring equipment...stuff is expensive even second-hand!! 

I hit my goal of 140 a couple months ago--actually, I randomly weighed myself one morning and almost passed out when I discovered I'd dropped down to 139.  What a good feeling after being solidly planted at like 143 foooorrrr evvvveeeerrrr.  Maintaining has been easier than I expected, but then again, I really love the typical food I eat every day and don't get too many cravings for other stuff.

The boys are great!  A handful as always.  My 10 yo has been trying so hard to gain weight per drs orders, and all he has accomplished is dropping from 61 to 58lbs.  Lol.  He's decided to just roll with it, I think.

Yay, feels good to be back in a group like this!

• Like 6

41 minutes ago, IvyInFlorida said:

Yay, it's good to see you too!!!  I've missed our chats!

CKD is going really well--my son and I are about 6 months from black belt, which is crazy.  We have another color belt test in 2 weeks, feeling pretty good about that.  One of the black belt requirements that I was worried about is attacking the air shield (portable punching bag someone holds) for 3 mins non-stop.  But recently my son and I have been doing that successfully about once a week, so whew.  Now we just have to do it against 2 attackers holding air shields, lol.  Classes are getting to be a lot more cardio/HIIT now that we have so much technique and so many patterns/drills to practice all in a row.  I'm usually pretty wiped out when I get home!

Strength-training-wise I have transitioned from mostly bodyweight movements to dumbbells and kettlebells.  I'm slowly acquiring equipment...stuff is expensive even second-hand!! 

I hit my goal of 140 a couple months ago--actually, I randomly weighed myself one morning and almost passed out when I discovered I'd dropped down to 139.  What a good feeling after being solidly planted at like 143 foooorrrr evvvveeeerrrr.  Maintaining has been easier than I expected, but then again, I really love the typical food I eat every day and don't get too many cravings for other stuff.

The boys are great!  A handful as always.  My 10 yo has been trying so hard to gain weight per drs orders, and all he has accomplished is dropping from 61 to 58lbs.  Lol.  He's decided to just roll with it, I think.

Yay, feels good to be back in a group like this!

Wow, 6 months will fly by! I'm sure you will have the attacks down pat with where you are now. My son tests for his TKD blackbelt in 3 weeks and my girls just had a belt test, they are about half-way to black. 

Your poor son, you know if he's doing what he can that is all you can ask. My son had the flu (we all did), he lost about 15# off of his already skinny frame and he's been working on putting it back on so I've been letting him chug the eggnog he loves!

Are you doing a program or your own thing? I'm doing a mix, the pull-up program has a lot of bodyweight but a few barbell moves. Forever ago I got a bunch of weights on Craigslist but got rid of that when we finished the basement. I don't have much weight at homes anymore, a 26.2 # KB and 2 5# weights. I just have my pull-up bar(door), TRX straps, and some bands. 

I bet you were so surprised to see the 130s after working for it so long. You've worked hard and long for it. Still eating the same ol', same ol'? Pita, hummus, and veg? Greek yogurt? 🙂 I eat the same thing for awhile then switch it up. I made pumpkin pancakes (cottage cheese, eggs, oats, pumpkin) 2x a week since July but after packing them for campouts I OD'd on them a bit, I also had oats in heavy rotation but just started craving eggs again. I was on a chicken wrap or chicken salad kick for lunch but am craving something warm, I think I need to find a soup I like and make a big batch on the weekends. Maintenance has not been too bad, I'm up a bit after some crazyness but still in the 120-125 which was my goal. 

• Like 2

LOL, yes, there are massive differences in different instructors. I use to have an Ultimate Yogi video (loaned it to someone who never returned it), the one I had was 3 different sessions and were a good level of challenge, his personality gave me a surfer vibe but I enjoyed it well enough.

From the whole 15 minutes I spent with him, lol, and surfing other titles on YouTube I would say he is more of Yoga crossed with CrossFit? Not that I know much about that... just thinking I perhaps am not that ambitious, lol.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Recipe postponed. Husband cooked the spinach I was going to use. I forgot to tell him.

I maligned him. It was a big bag and he didn't use it all. I made the smoothie and like it a lot, but husband thinks it's a bit funky. Cooking apples aren't sweet, so it tastes almost citrussy.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, soror said:

Wow, 6 months will fly by! I'm sure you will have the attacks down pat with where you are now. My son tests for his TKD blackbelt in 3 weeks and my girls just had a belt test, they are about half-way to black. 

Your poor son, you know if he's doing what he can that is all you can ask. My son had the flu (we all did), he lost about 15# off of his already skinny frame and he's been working on putting it back on so I've been letting him chug the eggnog he loves!

Are you doing a program or your own thing? I'm doing a mix, the pull-up program has a lot of bodyweight but a few barbell moves. Forever ago I got a bunch of weights on Craigslist but got rid of that when we finished the basement. I don't have much weight at homes anymore, a 26.2 # KB and 2 5# weights. I just have my pull-up bar(door), TRX straps, and some bands. 

I bet you were so surprised to see the 130s after working for it so long. You've worked hard and long for it. Still eating the same ol', same ol'? Pita, hummus, and veg? Greek yogurt? 🙂 I eat the same thing for awhile then switch it up. I made pumpkin pancakes (cottage cheese, eggs, oats, pumpkin) 2x a week since July but after packing them for campouts I OD'd on them a bit, I also had oats in heavy rotation but just started craving eggs again. I was on a chicken wrap or chicken salad kick for lunch but am craving something warm, I think I need to find a soup I like and make a big batch on the weekends. Maintenance has not been too bad, I'm up a bit after some crazyness but still in the 120-125 which was my goal. 

Wow, 15lbs!  That's a lot for a boy to lose!  Sorry y'all had the flu, ugh.  Also, eggnog, what a good idea to put some weight on!  My son would like that.

Re: strength training...I'm kind of doing my own thing, just making sure I get in upper body push and pull, lower body push and pull 4x a week.  So right now I'm alternating days between Day 1: pushups/chinups/weighted split squats/weighted single leg Romanian deadlifts and Day 2: dumbbell floor press/dumbbell rows/weighted lunges/KB swings.  Days 3 and 6 are usually more focused on martial arts drills and running or sprints.  Usually something comes up one morning a week to make an unintentional but probably needed rest day, haha.

Are you not doing that Beautiful Badass program anymore?

Food is probably still mostly the same although I am hitting 1 g of protein / lb bodyweight more consistently now.  PB toast, chicken sausage, greek yogurt, big salads with protein, banana smoothie with protein shake, moderate portions of whatever I make the menfolk for supper, lotsa roasted veggies, lol.  I've been fondly thinking about big batches of soup...I'm the only soup eater in the family somehow! 

• Like 4

I ran my half yesterday 2:30:13. I am super pleased. I pushed myself by running with the 2:30 pacer and cut 7 minutes off my fastest training run on a course that is more difficult than where I train. I am sore today. Hopefully I can get to yoga tomorrow and Wednesday and back to easy running Thursday. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

29 minutes ago, hshibley said:

I ran my half yesterday 2:30:13. I am super pleased. I pushed myself by running with the 2:30 pacer and cut 7 minutes off my fastest training run on a course that is more difficult than where I train. I am sore today. Hopefully I can get to yoga tomorrow and Wednesday and back to easy running Thursday. 

Well done!

• Like 1

On 11/2/2019 at 4:06 PM, soror said:

Thank you for explaining about the dancing, it sounds interesting and fun. I love being active with dh, we're just happy for any time together now, we get little walks here and there but that has been it since summer.

I enjoyed the dancing explanation, too. My dh rediscovered tennis about 7 years ago and it has been wonderful! We can play singles just he and I, or doubles with friends. We have met a lot of really interesting people playing tennis, too. Anywhere from doctors, to musicians, to chefs, to retired fighter pilots. We can keep playing until we hits our 80s if all goes well. There are many people still playing in their 70s and 80s at our little neighbourhood club.

• Like 2

I got in a nice dog walk yesterday before the rain hit. We didn't get to play tennis, though, which was a big disappointment.  

Eating is still going well. I'm fluctuating between 125 - 127 right now, which is my lowest weight since my early 20s (and then it was only fleeting). I feel really good, but wouldn't mind adding on a couple pounds in case I get the flu. A little cushion of weight could be handy. 

I've also just discovered what mindfulness actually is. If anyone has any podcasts or courses/books they recommend, please share! I did a search and I believe a couple of you mentioned mindfulness a while ago. Are you still actively doing any of it?

• Like 1