Menu

November Well-Trained Bodies

Soror

My dd has a couple photos on her phone of our puppy corral. No one is actually looking at the camera. The poodle in his favourite sleeping pose. Not my style of "down dog," thank you very much! How does he do that and stay asleep!? 😂

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 4

CKD class last night was pretty solid, then I did another CKD workout this morning...I divided my hour up into 10 min intervals and did hand/foot technique, patterns, speed drills, and punching bag work in each block of time.  Really enjoyable and a really good workout. 

At class last night, a fellow student shared with me that his back was hurting and that it was the result of an injury sustained during his time in the Army when he fell off a Chinook helicopter.  I thought that was poignant on Veteran's Day and wanted to share.  He is working hard to get himself in shape despite having this degenerative back problem--wants to be healthy for his wife and kid.  🙂

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

I just ran some errands on foot at lunchtime, but I had a good 25 minute meditation session this morning, and 40 minutes of yoga with Adriene this evening. Kedgeree for supper, which is more white rice than I normally eat, but it was good. I was really sedentary at work, so I need to concentrate on that tomorrow.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9kOCY0KNByw

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 3

Oh man, have my taste buds really changed over the last 2 - 3 months. I just bought my very first eggplant and montebello mushrooms. I can't wait to eat them! I'm not exactly sure what to do with the eggplant, though. I just had some grilled and/or roasted eggplant at a Shawarma restaurant and it was so delicious that I want to try and make it myself. Anyone have suggestions?

I didn't get out skiing or snowshoeing in the fresh dump of snow today, but I did get in a couple of short walks. I had to do a bunch of driving, which is always pretty crazy with the first big snowfall. I'm physically and mentally exhausted!

• Like 4

Spent the past two days helping a friend move furniture around so she could get new carpets installed.  Then she decided she wanted to rip the carpeting off the basement stairs as well, but it was not as easy as she anticipated, so we spent many hours ripping and removing scary pieces of nail-studded wood and stapling down new stuff.  A total hack job, but she likes it better than the very dirty duct-taped stuff that was there before...

While I was up visiting her, I visited the OT near her (as a member I can attend any OT) - it was a crazy workout that day. Which has nothing to do with where it was, as the workouts are standardized at corporate, but still... anyway, I usually start on the rowers as I want to put in my max effort there before I'm tired, but this time they after warm-up they moved us to the floor, where we did lots of bodyweight and TRX reps followed by 1-minute plank holds - 6 times!  Then to the treads, where there was a 12-minute run with hills, no base pace or recovery.  I decided it was a day to go back to walking (steeper hills, but still, don't know if I'm ready to run hills yet, esp. for 12 min at a go...), then over to the rowers again last, where we did three rowing sets (3 min, 2.5 min, then 3 min), separated by squat jacks.  Ended up being 1900m total.  Phew!

Went today too, but seemed like more of a regular template - some hills, but with recovery, and no more than 150m at a time on the rowers... and no holding planks over and over!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, wintermom said:

Oh man, have my taste buds really changed over the last 2 - 3 months. I just bought my very first eggplant and montebello mushrooms. I can't wait to eat them! I'm not exactly sure what to do with the eggplant, though. I just had some grilled and/or roasted eggplant at a Shawarma restaurant and it was so delicious that I want to try and make it myself. Anyone have suggestions?

I've got some texture issues with some veggies, but I love them if done right, and eggplant is one.  Grilled or roasted are both good, or in a layered casserole like moussaka or lasagna.  I'm thinking of trying an eggplant lasagna that has no noodles - rather than layering eggplant over the noodles, they kind of function as the noodle layer.  I think you have to salt them and remove excess water, and then pre-grill or sear them in a heavy pan, all of which helps them not get soggy.

I can't stand eggplant in ratatouille and similar, though - slimy!

I didn't get out skiing or snowshoeing in the fresh dump of snow today, but I did get in a couple of short walks. I had to do a bunch of driving, which is always pretty crazy with the first big snowfall. I'm physically and mentally exhausted!

It's cold enough for snow here now, but so far only a few flakes.  I'm barely ready for the cold - the snow can wait a bit!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, wintermom said:

I like grilled or roasted. You could just use olive oil, salt and pepper, or you could add a scatter of cumin and coriander.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 2

re: eggplant- I just started liking it a couple of years ago, I realized if you salt and let it sit it improves the flavor and draws out the moisture so it is not so soggy, it always tasted bitter to me before. I've not had it a lot of different ways- I do breaded and baked and in ratatouille. I've not used it in a lasagna but have used zucchini like that, I bet the eggplant would work well.

I had a solid workout at the gym last night. I felt stronger on my negatives and rows but weaker on thrusters but overall good. I think I may have FINALLY figured out the sweet spot with pre-workout nutrition(timing and intake) for am and pm workouts and it seems to make a big difference in my recovery and how I feel at different heart rates. I've not felt nauseous working out in a while (knock on wood as we say here!) I think for the pm workouts it also had to do with when I take my evening dose of thyroid meds, I now do doses at 12 hrs apart and that is pretty good, before I was dosing before my workout but seems I do better all around at this interval which puts my lifting 2 hrs before my 2nd dose. 

Food has been pretty good too, eating food I enjoy, feeling satisfied, good energy, and cravings are settled down. It is always a balancing act keeping ratios and amounts where I need them to feel the best. I think I slid a bit too far on carbs for awhile and got out of my best zone. I'll post a meal below, still plenty of carbs, all with some fat and protein. My sleep is still meh but I'm tweaking different things to see if there is a factor I'm missing. 

Yesterday I had whole grain/seed gf toast w/ almond butter pre-workout

sauteed sweet potato w/ red onion and 3 eggs 

dark chocolate w/ almonds

salmon w/ quinoa & broccoli salad

1/2 gf bagel w/ slice of colby jack - pre- 2nd workout

nf greek yogurt- unsweet almond milk, choc almond milk, 1/2 banana, strawberries, and spinach post workout

brown jasmine rice, chipolte flavored pinto beans, roasted veggies, and a bit of steak (seasoned fajita style)

Edited by soror
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

Wait, are we posting cute dog pics? While I'm more of a cat person, we do also have a cute dog...  here ya go! 🐶

And hey, he's sitting on my meditation pillow, which has gotten almost no use... :blush:

IMG-20181220-WA0000.jpg

I noticed the pillow right away - even before the adorable dog as he's so small and blends well into his natural habitat. The pillow looks like a heart-shaped Valentine's thing, but it's for meditation? I want one. I love the colour, too!  

• Like 2

I was up early for another tiring work-out of "driving your kid to school." And I won't post a video link so you can get tired and frustrated, too. She has 2 midterms downtown at university, and our local transit system has been unbelievably bad recently. She needed to know she'd be on time for her 8:30 am exam. 

Hopefully I can do some sort of fun, physical work-out today!

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, wintermom said:

I was up early for another tiring work-out of "driving your kid to school." And I won't post a video link so you can get tired and frustrated, too. She has 2 midterms downtown at university, and our local transit system has been unbelievably bad recently. She needed to know she'd be on time for her 8:30 am exam. 

Hopefully I can do some sort of fun, physical work-out today!

Ugh, I hate driving, good luck to her and fingers crossed for a workout!

lower body (30 min) and stretching/restorative (revibe 20 min) done

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wintermom said:

I noticed the pillow right away - even before the adorable dog as he's so small and blends well into his natural habitat. The pillow looks like a heart-shaped Valentine's thing, but it's for meditation? I want one. I love the colour, too!  

I bought that thing years ago after I went on that retreat that was ostensibly about an educational method (Waldorf/Montessori mash-up plus other stuff) that was put together by a practicing Buddhist, so the retreat ended up having multiple meditation sessions a day, and I liked it!  She had tons of these cushions and when I got home, I ordered myself one, and even one of those little bowls you hit with a hammer to make a pretty chime.  Then, like all the other well-intentioned self-improvement stuff I've bought - weights, yoga stuff, a bosu... not used almost at all.  I even lost it for a bunch of years in the back of a closet!  But I found it again, and I even used it for about 10 minutes the other day - you guys are inspiring me!   

It's not really heart-shaped, as the back is rounded, but it is kinda butt-shaped.  My kids like to call it my butt-pillow, lol.  I do sometimes use it just to sit on the floor!  The cat thinks it's hers...

If you want one, I managed to find the website...  And yeah, I did buy it to go with the colors in the room, so that way if I leave it out, it just looks like part of the decor, lol...

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

Spent the past two days helping a friend move furniture around so she could get new carpets installed.  Then she decided she wanted to rip the carpeting off the basement stairs as well, but it was not as easy as she anticipated, so we spent many hours ripping and removing scary pieces of nail-studded wood and stapling down new stuff.  A total hack job, but she likes it better than the very dirty duct-taped stuff that was there before...

While I was up visiting her, I visited the OT near her (as a member I can attend any OT) - it was a crazy workout that day. Which has nothing to do with where it was, as the workouts are standardized at corporate, but still... anyway, I usually start on the rowers as I want to put in my max effort there before I'm tired, but this time they after warm-up they moved us to the floor, where we did lots of bodyweight and TRX reps followed by 1-minute plank holds - 6 times!  Then to the treads, where there was a 12-minute run with hills, no base pace or recovery.  I decided it was a day to go back to walking (steeper hills, but still, don't know if I'm ready to run hills yet, esp. for 12 min at a go...), then over to the rowers again last, where we did three rowing sets (3 min, 2.5 min, then 3 min), separated by squat jacks.  Ended up being 1900m total.  Phew!

Went today too, but seemed like more of a regular template - some hills, but with recovery, and no more than 150m at a time on the rowers... and no holding planks over and over!

Doing 6 planks makes me want to barf, lol.  I think my limit is 3 before my lower back starts to weep and wail in agony.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, soror said:

re: eggplant- I just started liking it a couple of years ago, I realized if you salt and let it sit it improves the flavor and draws out the moisture so it is not so soggy, it always tasted bitter to me before. I've not had it a lot of different ways- I do breaded and baked and in ratatouille. I've not used it in a lasagna but have used zucchini like that, I bet the eggplant would work well.

I had a solid workout at the gym last night. I felt stronger on my negatives and rows but weaker on thrusters but overall good. I think I may have FINALLY figured out the sweet spot with pre-workout nutrition(timing and intake) for am and pm workouts and it seems to make a big difference in my recovery and how I feel at different heart rates. I've not felt nauseous working out in a while (knock on wood as we say here!) I think for the pm workouts it also had to do with when I take my evening dose of thyroid meds, I now do doses at 12 hrs apart and that is pretty good, before I was dosing before my workout but seems I do better all around at this interval which puts my lifting 2 hrs before my 2nd dose. 

Food has been pretty good too, eating food I enjoy, feeling satisfied, good energy, and cravings are settled down. It is always a balancing act keeping ratios and amounts where I need them to feel the best. I think I slid a bit too far on carbs for awhile and got out of my best zone. I'll post a meal below, still plenty of carbs, all with some fat and protein. My sleep is still meh but I'm tweaking different things to see if there is a factor I'm missing. 

Yesterday I had whole grain/seed gf toast w/ almond butter pre-workout

sauteed sweet potato w/ red onion and 3 eggs 

dark chocolate w/ almonds

salmon w/ quinoa & broccoli salad

1/2 gf bagel w/ slice of colby jack - pre- 2nd workout

nf greek yogurt- unsweet almond milk, choc almond milk, 1/2 banana, strawberries, and spinach post workout

brown jasmine rice, chipolte flavored pinto beans, roasted veggies, and a bit of steak (seasoned fajita style)

What a great update!  Glad to hear things going well!

• Like 3

A long meditation session in the parked car before work; 45 minutes of brisk walking at lunchtime with a friend; another brisk hour of walking after work. I got shaky hungry after the second walk and had to grab a sandwich. The energy in the sandwich and the walk cancelled each other out, and I still ate a light supper. My weight is back down where I want it, and my resting heart rate is at 59.

I don't normally post my meals, as they are pretty boring, but here's one day:

Breakfast: Overnight oats made with oat milk, cinnamon and vanilla, with zero fat Greek yoghurt.

Snacks: handful of unsalted nuts and a cup of carrot sticks

Drinks: three mugs of tea, one of coffee; a litre plus a large glass of water

Lunch: cream of veg soup made with mushrooms, courgette, fresh mint, and pureed silken tofu.

Pre-supper: prawn sandwich

Supper: pinto beans cooked with ham shank, plus grated cheese, fresh tomato and sauted cabbage

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, IvyInFlorida said:

What a great update!  Glad to hear things going well!

If I can just get my sleep lined out I'll be on cloud 9, maybe that is too much to ask for though....

Just did a 1 mile walk, really wanted to sit on my butt but made myself get up and out, I've been getting in 10k steps but not a lot of walks, daily workouts have gotten me quite a few but I still need to do more walking.

• Like 3

I got in a walk today, but sadly not a hike in the woods. I will do that tomorrow with friends.

I grilled portabello mushrooms and some eggplant outside for supper. I think I would have liked them sauteed in oil better. They were tasty but a little dry. I could have added some kind of sauce to them, too. I really wanted to taste the veg flavour, though. Top notch!  

Do you eat the purple skin of an aubergine? I didn't as it was a little tough. Maybe there are different kinds of eggplant. Mine was the size of a smallish mellon. I've seen ones that look more like cucumber size. Perhaps I should get this next time.

Another question: why do some of you eat non-fat yogurt/greek yogurt? Isn't the fat the part that makes it satisfying and rich in protein? I go for high-fat coconut milk when I use it, and I always tried to get 5% fat Greek yogurt when I ate dairy. I usually got plain, and added the flavouring myself so I could control the sugar content. Maybe I'm missing something?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, wintermom said:

I got in a walk today, but sadly not a hike in the woods. I will do that tomorrow with friends.

I grilled portabello mushrooms and some eggplant outside for supper. I think I would have liked them sauteed in oil better. They were tasty but a little dry. I could have added some kind of sauce to them, too. I really wanted to taste the veg flavour, though. Top notch!  

Do you eat the purple skin of an aubergine? I didn't as it was a little tough. Maybe there are different kinds of eggplant. Mine was the size of a smallish mellon. I've seen ones that look more like cucumber size. Perhaps I should get this next time.

Another question: why do some of you eat non-fat yogurt/greek yogurt? Isn't the fat the part that makes it satisfying and rich in protein? I go for high-fat coconut milk when I use it, and I always tried to get 5% fat Greek yogurt when I ate dairy. I usually got plain, and added the flavouring myself so I could control the sugar content. Maybe I'm missing something?

Eggplants aka aubergines: I think you usually peel them, at least the big ones.  The little ones I think are called 'baby eggplants', lol.

I eat non-fat Greek yogurt.  It is very filling and satisfying.  It's the protein, not just the fat.  I eat non-fat (plain, no sugar) Greek yogurt with blueberries and pecans (and I've started adding some ground flax seeds) every morning.  There's also healthy fats in the nuts and seeds.  I don't buy the keto story that loading up on saturated fats (dairy, coconut) is the way to go.  I don't avoid them like trans fats, but I don't go seeking them out in full-fat or extra fat (cream!) dairy or mountains of coconut products.

Wait, you're hiking and grilling outside?  Isn't it cold there??

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 2

re: eggplants - we only have bigger ones here and I always peel them.

And as Matryoshka said it is the protein that increases satiety. I actually eat both nonfat and regular- (both plain/unsweetened). These days it is mostly nonfat b/c although my cravings aren't all crazy my appetite is still increased just due to the lack of sleep and the fat is not increases satiety and I get plenty

Ok, I just read my mistake about yogurt; fat isn't going to be protein, because it's fat. Silly me. I think I just liked the creaminess of full-fat yogurt. 

I bought a skinnier, Chinese eggplant to try and see if it's much different than the bigger one. 

Yes, I was grilling outside with 6 inches of snow on the ground, grill, flipper and side table. The snow on the grill melted in the grilling process, the rest didn't. 😉  It's about -10 celcius. The food was delicious, but produced a lot of gas. I'm trying to blame it on the dog.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, wintermom said:

For most of my adult life I had high cholesterol but I now have a very good ratio, based on exercise, lots of oats, and not much saturated fat. I use a fair bit of oil, including flax oil, but not much animal fat. Protein and fibre fill me up.

3 hours ago, wintermom said:

Yes, I was grilling outside with 6 inches of snow on the ground, grill, flipper and side table. The snow on the grill melted in the grilling process, the rest didn't. 😉 The food was delicious, but produced a lot of gas. I'm trying to blame it on the dog.

I don't peel aubergine. Do you think your gut needs some time to build up the bacteria that can deal with it?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, wintermom said:

Ok, I just read my mistake about yogurt; fat isn't going to be protein, because it's fat. Silly me. I think I just liked the creaminess of full-fat yogurt. 

I bought a skinnier, Chinese eggplant to try and see if it's much different than the bigger one. 

Yes, I was grilling outside with 6 inches of snow on the ground, grill, flipper and side table. The snow on the grill melted in the grilling process, the rest didn't. 😉  It's about -10 celcius. The food was delicious, but produced a lot of gas. I'm trying to blame it on the dog.

The nf greek yogurt is fairly creamy, imo.

4 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

For most of my adult life I had high cholesterol but I now have a very good ratio, based on exercise, lots of oats, and not much saturated fat. I use a fair bit of oil, including flax oil, but not much animal fat. Protein and fibre fill me up.

I don't peel aubergine. Do you think your gut needs some time to build up the bacteria that can deal with it?

Do you have a family history of high cholesterol? Seems you've always been pretty healthy, certainly healthy enough you wouldn't expect high cholesterol, they say some have more of a disposition. I've always had very, very low even when following a higher fat diet, I assume that must be in part to genetics and my individual body. I've ate whole foods diet my whole adult life but what exactly and macro ratios have changed. I've exercised too but different types.

I've got to leave this am.

I did sleep better last night, thank goodness.

Lifting tonight, lots of driving and shopping today.

Have a good one ladies!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, soror said:

Do you have a family history of high cholesterol? Seems you've always been pretty healthy, certainly healthy enough you wouldn't expect high cholesterol, they say some have more of a disposition. I've always had very, very low even when following a higher fat diet, I assume that must be in part to genetics and my individual body. I've ate whole foods diet my whole adult life but what exactly and macro ratios have changed. I've exercised too but different types.

My dad had high cholesterol but I don't know how high; mine has never been high enough to be considered likely to be a solely genetic issue.  There might be a mild propensity however, and I didn't want to be on drugs for it for the rest of my life.

I really love butter, cheese and cream, so this year I have had to face that square on.  Instead of butter I eat pumpkin seed butter.  I rarely eat cream.  And when I need a cheese-umami hit, I have a corner of protein cheese: https://www.eatleancheese.co.uk/

Glad you slept better - it makes all the difference.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

My dad had high cholesterol but I don't know how high; mine has never been high enough to be considered likely to be a solely genetic issue.  There might be a mild propensity however, and I didn't want to be on drugs for it for the rest of my life.

I really love butter, cheese and cream, so this year I have had to face that square on.  Instead of butter I eat pumpkin seed butter.  I rarely eat cream.  And when I need a cheese-umami hit, I have a corner of protein cheese: https://www.eatleancheese.co.uk/

Glad you slept better - it makes all the difference.

ITA, it is worth giving up to avoid drugs, but I know that can't be easy or more would do it. I was strictly dairy free for years, it does get easier, but some thigns aren't the same. I'm not sure if we have protein cheese here, I am not a cheese expert though, my main dairy is greek yogurt and some cottage cheese, I do a slice of colby on days I lift, and sometimes cheese on things like pizza.

Had a class cancel so I did my 20 min HIIT video, hoping my face is not so red in 5 minutes when my next class starts!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, soror said:

ITA, it is worth giving up to avoid drugs, but I know that can't be easy or more would do it. I was strictly dairy free for years, it does get easier, but some thigns aren't the same. I'm not sure if we have protein cheese here, I am not a cheese expert though, my main dairy is greek yogurt and some cottage cheese, I do a slice of colby on days I lift, and sometimes cheese on things like pizza.

Had a class cancel so I did my 20 min HIIT video, hoping my face is not so red in 5 minutes when my next class starts!!

I'm a strongly habitual person - I tend to eat the same things a lot.  I had to replace those habits with others, rather than trying to stop the habits.  So I'll have a cracker with marmite and pumpkin seed butter instead of butter; a corner of protein cheese rather than cheddar.  I've actually tried oat cream and it's pretty nice - I might get some to have with pumpkin pie on the 30th.

I often come back to the office with quite a red face after my windy walks!

• Like 1

I'll be going for my weekly walk in the woods with friends. Lots of snow on the ground, pretty chilly, but beautiful outside. It will be really nice to chat with the ladies.

My GP has mentioned/suggested I try pro-biotics, but I never have. I saw some in the grocery store yesterday and thought about it again, but still never bought it. My gut seems to be producing gas too well. Maybe it's the wrong sort of gas, though. 😉

• Like 1

A new, heavier kettlebell arrived yesterday afternoon (Fedex guy--"watch out, Miss, it's heavy, should I carry it?" lol)!  So I'm excited to get out there are do my workout this morning despite the miserable, rainy, 40 degree weather.  CKD class tonight, then my belt test in the morning. 

TMI menstrual stuff-- does anyone have any ideas about why my period randomly came at day 22 instead of my usual day 26?  That is unusually early for me, and since I prevent pregnancy with non-hormonal methods, tracking is important.  I really don't know much about weird cycles and how they affect the next one.  I'm very predictable usually.  I had PMS--do you have that with an annovulatory cycle?  I can't find any info online about that.  At least I don't have to do my belt test with PMS brain fog...

• Like 2

I went for a second walk yesterday. The first was daytime with friends in the woods. The second was in the evening when my ds 13 and I walked to our local community theatre. He was supposed to be volunteering at the concession, and I was going to watch the show. I brought the black lab and his guide-dog-in-training vest. He loved all the snow along the walk. Every single flake. It was a really wild walk, but we made it. Then ds's shift was apparently LAST Thursday. So he walked the dog home and I stayed for the show. Wonderful show!! Called "Operation Mincemeat." If you ever get a chance to see this, I would recommend it. Excellent story and script. I didn't even mind (too much) all the fake accents. I would love to see this done by authentic accented actors one day, though. 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

I'm a strongly habitual person - I tend to eat the same things a lot.  I had to replace those habits with others, rather than trying to stop the habits.  So I'll have a cracker with marmite and pumpkin seed butter instead of butter; a corner of protein cheese rather than cheddar.  I've actually tried oat cream and it's pretty nice - I might get some to have with pumpkin pie on the 30th.

I often come back to the office with quite a red face after my windy walks!

Yes, that makes sense. I've done some of both over the years as I drastically changed the diet at times. 

19 hours ago, wintermom said:

I'll be going for my weekly walk in the woods with friends. Lots of snow on the ground, pretty chilly, but beautiful outside. It will be really nice to chat with the ladies.

My GP has mentioned/suggested I try pro-biotics, but I never have. I saw some in the grocery store yesterday and thought about it again, but still never bought it. My gut seems to be producing gas too well. Maybe it's the wrong sort of gas, though. 😉

Glad you enjoyed the walk and play. re:probiotics it is not something just to buy anywhere plenty are worthless. With your gut issues it would be worth looking into l-glutamine.

15 minutes ago, IvyInFlorida said:

A new, heavier kettlebell arrived yesterday afternoon (Fedex guy--"watch out, Miss, it's heavy, should I carry it?" lol)!  So I'm excited to get out there are do my workout this morning despite the miserable, rainy, 40 degree weather.  CKD class tonight, then my belt test in the morning. 

TMI menstrual stuff-- does anyone have any ideas about why my period randomly came at day 22 instead of my usual day 26?  That is unusually early for me, and since I prevent pregnancy with non-hormonal methods, tracking is important.  I really don't know much about weird cycles and how they affect the next one.  I'm very predictable usually.  I had PMS--do you have that with an annovulatory cycle?  I can't find any info online about that.  At least I don't have to do my belt test with PMS brain fog...

re: periods- when I've had mine early it has generally been stress. Do you track ovulation too? When mine have been short I just had a shorter luteal phase. 

Yoga planned for this am.

Lifting felt good last night. Gaining strength bit by bit, ya!!! I went ahead and decided to stay at the phase I'm at in the pull-up program, maybe come December I will move up, I felt I had some room for improvement still.

I feel like I'm eating a bit much but weight is hanging under 125, so maybe not. We'll see I know my sleep is not the best which drives up appetite and in the past with increased cardio came increased appetite but so far I'm hanging in there and feeling good. 

My friend and I are toying with the idea of running a 5k next Saturday, no I hardly run but I'd kind of like to see how I do and kind of don't want to do it at all. Or we might just go running together, she is the one I'm trying to talk into the Tough Mudder with me.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, soror said:

Yoga planned for this am.

Lifting felt good last night. Gaining strength bit by bit, ya!!! I went ahead and decided to stay at the phase I'm at in the pull-up program, maybe come December I will move up, I felt I had some room for improvement still.

I feel like I'm eating a bit much but weight is hanging under 125, so maybe not. We'll see I know my sleep is not the best which drives up appetite and in the past with increased cardio came increased appetite but so far I'm hanging in there and feeling good. 

My friend and I are toying with the idea of running a 5k next Saturday, no I hardly run but I'd kind of like to see how I do and kind of don't want to do it at all. Or we might just go running together, she is the one I'm trying to talk into the Tough Mudder with me.

Enjoy the run with your friend! Either with the event or not. It's great exercising with friends! Congrats on the weight staying steady. Mine is also steady at just under 125 now. I'm not panicking anymore.

Hope your sleep improves. How does appetite relate to sleep? I've never heard of this link. Inquiring minds want to know! 😉  I usually have trouble sleeping is I'm starving. But I'm also lazy, so getting out of bed to get food is too much effort.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wintermom said:

Enjoy the run with your friend! Either with the event or not. It's great exercising with friends! Congrats on the weight staying steady. Mine is also steady at just under 125 now. I'm not panicking anymore.

Hope your sleep improves. How does appetite relate to sleep? I've never heard of this link. Inquiring minds want to know! 😉  I usually have trouble sleeping is I'm starving. But I'm also lazy, so getting out of bed to get food is too much effort.

Oh, I'm glad to hear your weight is stabilizing, that is good news.

I love exercising with friends, just wish I could do it more. 

Consider yourself lucky you've not had any appetite issues from lack of sleep! It has been an off/on problem for me since the last baby, she kept me up a ton and then the thyroid disease and wonky hormones just about killed me, I weaned her and let dh take over nighttimes when she was a little over 2, I just couldn't take it anymore. There are numerous studies out there but I'll link an article that has different ones linked-https://thesleepdoctor.com/2018/04/10/sleep-deprivation/

My unscientific thoughts are when you don't get enough sleep the body is tired and looking for energy in whatever way it can, especially favoring carby and sugary foods for that quick hit. You know I try to protect my sleep best I can but my body thwarts against me, it is however not near as bad as it has been, so I'm thankful for that, it could be worse.

Yoga Done- 20 min

Edited by soror
  • Like 2

Hello ladies,  in all my indecisiveness I finally found the program I wanted to finish the year with.  Those who have beach body on demand may have heard of it.  I've been doing beast legacy, all or nothing challenge.  It's all of Sagi's programs on one calendar and I love the challenge of it.

• Like 5

A pretty quiet day.  I managed a walk at lunchtime - rather a panicked walk as I had left my handbag in a meeting room and then discovered that I had left my car unlocked with the keys sitting on the passenger seat!  Where is my brain today!  Nothing stolen.

Anyway, I'm going home in a second and will walk the dog.  That will make about four miles of walking in all, maybe five.  I might fit in a bit of strength work later.

I had a bit of a chocolate attack this afternoon - the result of working on minutes for an academic misconduct tribunal.  I always find those depressing.  Oh well, onwards and upwards.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, soror said:

re: periods- when I've had mine early it has generally been stress. Do you track ovulation too? When mine have been short I just had a shorter luteal phase.

I do, but only with CM and other fertility signs, not temps.  I remember thinking the signs were not quite as obvious this time as usual.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, soror said:

Oh, I'm glad to hear your weight is stabilizing, that is good news.

I love exercising with friends, just wish I could do it more. 

Consider yourself lucky you've not had any appetite issues from lack of sleep! It has been an off/on problem for me since the last baby, she kept me up a ton and then the thyroid disease and wonky hormones just about killed me, I weaned her and let dh take over nighttimes when she was a little over 2, I just couldn't take it anymore. There are numerous studies out there but I'll link an article that has different ones linked-https://thesleepdoctor.com/2018/04/10/sleep-deprivation/

My unscientific thoughts are when you don't get enough sleep the body is tired and looking for energy in whatever way it can, especially favoring carby and sugary foods for that quick hit. You know I try to protect my sleep best I can but my body thwarts against me, it is however not near as bad as it has been, so I'm thankful for that, it could be worse.

Yoga Done- 20 min

Ugh, when I don't sleep well, I can't stop eating.  It's awful!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Laura Corin said:

A pretty quiet day.  I managed a walk at lunchtime - rather a panicked walk as I had left my handbag in a meeting room and then discovered that I had left my car unlocked with the keys sitting on the passenger seat!  Where is my brain today!  Nothing stolen.

Anyway, I'm going home in a second and will walk the dog.  That will make about four miles of walking in all, maybe five.  I might fit in a bit of strength work later.

I had a bit of a chocolate attack this afternoon - the result of working on minutes for an academic misconduct tribunal.  I always find those depressing.  Oh well, onwards and upwards.

Wow, good work on all the walking!  It's a drizzly, chilly day here today and it makes me want to bundle up and just walk and walk.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, lynn said:

Hello ladies,  in all my indecisiveness I finally found the program I wanted to finish the year with.  Those who have beach body on demand may have heard of it.  I've been doing beast legacy, all or nothing challenge.  It's all of Sagi's programs on one calendar and I love the challenge of it.

I've only did P90x and now MM, I can't figure out what this is but good for finding something that works for you.

9 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Lots of miles for you, good for you! 

7 hours ago, IvyInFlorida said:

I do, but only with CM and other fertility signs, not temps.  I remember thinking the signs were not quite as obvious this time as usual.

I no longer do temp either, for so long my sleep was messed up with nursing and now it isn't right either I doubt it would tell me much. We did training with one NFP method that was only mucus anyway and usually it is pretty clear, it is something to keep an eye on next month. 

7 hours ago, whitehawk said:

It's cold and rainy, so DS and I went to the gym for a little workout. I'm now at 3 of 6.

Half-way there and it is the 15th, right on target!

• Like 2

CKD was oddly brutal last night, given that we're having a test this morning, but ok.  I'm feeling pretty stiff and sore, but I'm sure I'll loosen up as I shuffle around, trying to get our doboks through the washer and dryer before time to leave, haha.  My son and I are testing for red senior today, which means that there are only brown and brown senior left before the BIG test!

Thankfully I slept well last night, just had some pb toast and am planning on some f.f. greek yogurt with honey right before we leave.  My goal for this test is to keep my mental focus up through the whole thing.  Tests are just so overstimulating what with a more crowded room and the audience and the fast pace, that I tend to mentally check out about 2/3rds of the way through.  That's no good.

Finished my meal plan/grocery list last night, so hopefully I'll hit up the grocery store today.  Hope everyone has a great Saturday!

Edited by IvyInFlorida
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, IvyInFlorida said:

CKD was oddly brutal last night, given that we're having a test this morning, but ok.  I'm feeling pretty stiff and sore, but I'm sure I'll loosen up as I shuffle around, trying to get our doboks through the washer and dryer before time to leave, haha.  My son and I are testing for red senior today, which means that there are only brown and brown senior left before the BIG test!

Thankfully I slept well last night, just had some pb toast and am planning on some f.f. greek yogurt with honey right before we leave.  My goal for this test is to keep my mental focus up through the whole thing.  Tests are just so overstimulating what with a more crowded room and the audience and the fast pace, that I tend to mentally check out about 2/3rds of the way through.  That's no good.

Finished my meal plan/grocery list last night, so hopefully I'll hit up the grocery store today.  Hope everyone has a great Saturday!

Very good luck on your testing today!!! Let us know how it goes.

Today is generally weights day but I have overnight guests and have to leave early this am and will be busy all day. I think it will wait until tomorrow, I don't feel like trying to rush through it in 20 minutesespecially with a bunch of little people at my house. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, IvyInFlorida said:

All the best on your belt test! Rock 'em! Do you have to do any board breaking? That was always a stressor for me. I never knew if the board was actually going to break on test day. It was so disappointing if it didn't. 

• Like 2

I ended up walking through some woods to the grocery store. Got in some great upper-body work by carrying groceries home from store. My arms are DEAD. I wanted to weigh the 2 bags to see how much I was carrying, but forgot. Now a lot of the stuff is in my belly. 😉 

I booked a court to play tennis tomorrow morning from 7 - 8 AM.  I can't believe that myself, dh and 2 good friends are going to get up early, drive 30+ min, park in a freezing cold lot, play tennis in a dome with no running water (only an outdoor porta-potty), and we pay for this. We will have an awesome time, too! We are nuts. 😂

• Like 3

Testing went well!  It was a fast test, not overly strenuous, and my son and I both did great.  The master warned that January's test would be a killer...

Looking forward to a good supper of salmon patties, roasted veggies, and some crusty bread I made from that Artisan Bread in Five Minute a Day book, yum.

20191116_152530.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Attended my first Essentrics class today. It was nice mix: 60 minutes of stretching, work on balance and posture, enough strengthening exercise for a burn. It is a 20 minute drive, and I'm a reluctant winter driver to be sure, but midday on a Saturday is a good time, usually, so will try again in the coming weeks if I can.

• Like 4

Yesterday was good. I walked the dog for a couple of miles in the morning, then took my mum to lunch. I accidentally ordered a frittata with goats cheese which I don't like, so I just picked out the veg to eat. Later on I did my upper body and lower body Adriene combo, then went out for dinner (fish) and a concert with a friend. 

This morning I woke up snuffling, but I think that's just my weird post-exercise snuffle.  I feel as if my bingo wings are getting firmer, so that's good. Overall a good week. Four sessions of yoga, of which three focused on strength. Lots of brisk walking and meditation. My weight seems settled in a comfortable zone - I'm at 58.2 kilos this morning at 163cms. I was heading out to Nordic Walk this morning but there's some doubt about the timing of our family Skype, so I might miss the tide. Oh well, family first.

Have a great day!

:

• Like 4