Menu

November Well-Trained Bodies

Soror

Happy Thanksgiving! Enjoy your food! 

I went for my weekly walk in the woods with the homeschool hockey moms. It was good. Weather is pretty yucky, but at least not raining like yesterday. 

I bought a cast iron grilling fry pan yesterday, and tested it out with chicken breast today. It was wonderful! I think it was a "Black Wednesday" sale item. Canadian stores are piggy-backing on the US Black Friday sales stuff. This is a much better time for Christmas shopping sales than our Thanksgiving in early October. 😂

• Like 2

On 11/27/2019 at 6:20 AM, wintermom said:

I'd gladly take 6+ hours right now! Those 15 minutes could have been a bad dream, so you dodged that potential bullet. 😉

I agree 100% about the unfairness of women''s health. In fact, I may pursue this as a course of study/exploration. I'm going through so many frustrations currently because:

a) I'm a woman in her 50s (easy to discount, assume issues are hormone/age related, and it's difficult to discover what are the causes of an issue when symptoms could be caused by a wide range of things),

b) I work in the health field (people assume I am imagining my symptoms - sometimes I feel like I am, too!),

c) people assume my issues are part of a mental illness/anxiety/stress and it takes a lot of pushing to keep looking for actual physical issues (I frequently find the solution these myself),

d) there is a lack of health research on women in general,

e) the health care system, especially urgent care,  is severely flawed as the primary goal is to avoid someone dying, rather than discovering what is actually wrong and referring the patient to appropriate care,

f) all of the above problems seem to be common to so many women my age, and there isn't one single health agency to go to for access of "Women's Health Issues." We have to track down all kinds of health specialties and try to find one that fits. So easy to fall through the cracks and end up with no solutions at all.

Ok ladies, rant over. If you have similar frustrations or have found any solutions, please let me know! 

Yup, I sometimes wonder if I shouldn't begin a doctor's appointment with a disclaimer: This isn't an ER visit, I'm obviously not dying, but I would still like help with an issue I'm having.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We had a pretty good thanksgiving. I enjoyed some fried turkey and my 2 mini/muffin cheesecakes. I also had a bit of ham and cranberry salad. I had lots of salad with roasted brussel sprouts.

I had a bit of worry people would think I wasn't eating enough, isn't that stupid. I didn't undereat, but didn't stuff myself either. I decided to mindfully enjoy food and stop when full, so I didn't get that overfull misery. Not that I sometimes don't just eat until I'm stuffed but I didn't feel like it, so I didn't. I'm the smallest adult female in my family and dh's family so I feel conspicuous at big eating events. If a small person eats a lot they are just lucky, if they don't then they are depriving themselves. But I ate what I wanted to eat. I thought about snacking more at MIL's house but I wasn't really hungry. Also, being gluten free there are always very limited number of things I can have anyway. 

Anyway.... we did a lot of chatting. I only stuck my foot in my mouth once (facepalm). 

I taught classes this am and then did the HIIT cardio 20 min and Yoga 20 min.

I hope to get a walk in today but it is rather dreary and I've got a bit of a headache, so we'll see. I think we're putting up the Christmas tree today.

Edited by soror
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, soror said:

I had a bit of worry people would think I wasn't eating enough, isn't that stupid.

I felt this way too, like, I'm too emotionally drained to deal with my mom fussing with me about my food choices.  But she didn't and I did fine and it was all good.  Sounds like you had the self-awareness and strength of mind to just do what was good for you, which is awesome!

• Like 2

Hope everyone who celebrated had a great Thanksgiving!  Ours was great and we are looking forward to Thanksgiving Dinner: The Sequel tonight.  We will hopefully be heading out to get a Christmas tree today also.

After 3ish days off from strength training (and well fueled from last night, haha), I launched into the 10k Kettlebell Swing challenge this morning with gusto.  I was pretty happy with how it went, as I was not expecting to get through all 5 rounds the first day.  Every workout (4 per week) will include 500 kb swings, plus low-volume sets of a single lifting movement.  I did overhead press, and while I could have gone heavier on it, I decided to take it a little easy on the first day.  The 5 rounds took me 48 mins.  You're supposed to really show big time improvement by the last workout in the challenge, so we'll see!  I got massively hungry by the end--usually that only happens to me when I'm swimming!  Came right in and had some greek yogurt with crushed pineapple.

Planning to chill most of the rest of the day, maybe start a Harry Potter movie / Lego building marathon with the boys as a way to get my older son to sit still long enough for me to do some maintenance on his dreadlocks, haha.

• Like 3

On 11/27/2019 at 10:19 AM, wintermom said:

Do you have a link I could start reading up on her? There are probably a ton of "Dr. Sims" out there, and I could spend all day trying to find her. 😉

I'm a moderator on a FB group that discusses Dr. Sims' book and how to properly fuel as an active woman, so if the book interests you, let me know and you can come join us!

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, IvyInFlorida said:

I'm a moderator on a FB group that discusses Dr. Sims' book and how to properly fuel as an active woman, so if the book interests you, let me know and you can come join us!

Which group are you on? I'm on one too, Roar Nutrition.

I had a really nice walk in the woods with a friends while our dc played soccer. I also had a productive physiotherapy session getting my neck and shoulder worked on. Then a delightful hot shower to really relax the muscles. I also got a phone call from my dr's office that my abdominal pain is actually something other than just hormones and imagination. I don't know all the details yet, but it has to do with a partially obstructed bile duct. Bloodwork is all good, though, so nothing too serious. It's such a relief to finally find out when the pain and discomfort is. 

Some exciting progress out our potential move to Colorado Springs - they really want dh there. No official papers yet, but it would be moving this summer and staying for at least 4 years. I'm doing a happy dance. Everyone is super thrilled except for ds 13, who doesn't want to go because of friends, sports and cadets. Five out of six happy family members is pretty good, and hopefully he'll come around in time. It's understandable that he wants to stay here. He's got it really good. 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, wintermom said:

I had a really nice walk in the woods with a friends while our dc played soccer. I also had a productive physiotherapy session getting my neck and shoulder worked on. Then a delightful hot shower to really relax the muscles. I also got a phone call from my dr's office that my abdominal pain is actually something other than just hormones and imagination. I don't know all the details yet, but it has to do with a partially obstructed bile duct. Bloodwork is all good, though, so nothing too serious. It's such a relief to finally find out when the pain and discomfort is. 

Some exciting progress out our potential move to Colorado Springs - they really want dh there. No official papers yet, but it would be moving this summer and staying for at least 4 years. I'm doing a happy dance. Everyone is super thrilled except for ds 13, who doesn't want to go because of friends, sports and cadets. Five out of six happy family members is pretty good, and hopefully he'll come around in time. It's understandable that he wants to stay here. He's got it really good. 

I'm glad you know now what's going on, mostly anyways!  Hopefully the details will bring even more relief.  Also great news about your move!!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, wintermom said:

Wintermom, I'm happy that you have got some answers, I hope that they have a treatment for you that is easy.

That is also very exciting about the move, fingers crossed for you.

I've got a date to workout with my friend tomorrow 🙂 No walk outside today but I did walk inside for awhile, it was icky and I didn't want to. We did put up a tree, build a gingerbread house, and watch a Christmas movie.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, IvyInFlorida said:

Hope everyone who celebrated had a great Thanksgiving!  Ours was great and we are looking forward to Thanksgiving Dinner: The Sequel tonight.  We will hopefully be heading out to get a Christmas tree today also.

After 3ish days off from strength training (and well fueled from last night, haha), I launched into the 10k Kettlebell Swing challenge this morning with gusto.  I was pretty happy with how it went, as I was not expecting to get through all 5 rounds the first day.  Every workout (4 per week) will include 500 kb swings, plus low-volume sets of a single lifting movement.  I did overhead press, and while I could have gone heavier on it, I decided to take it a little easy on the first day.  The 5 rounds took me 48 mins.  You're supposed to really show big time improvement by the last workout in the challenge, so we'll see!  I got massively hungry by the end--usually that only happens to me when I'm swimming!  Came right in and had some greek yogurt with crushed pineapple.

Planning to chill most of the rest of the day, maybe start a Harry Potter movie / Lego building marathon with the boys as a way to get my older son to sit still long enough for me to do some maintenance on his dreadlocks, haha.

I think that was smart to start your new workout after a break. Great job getting it done. 

I'm glad your mom didn't give you grief about food, I know that had been an issue.

• Like 3

Morning workout done--kicking drill focusing more on skill and improving technique rather than intensity.  Ended up being about 400 kicks of various kinds over about 45 mins.  This afternoon will be yardwork at my parents, which is usually fairly strenuous. 

My hands are a little beat up after yesterdays' kb swings--I've got blisters UNDER my usual lifting callouses, ugh! 

• Like 3

@wintermom great news about the move. I like Colorado, although I've not been to CS.

Celebrating Thanksgiving. Took time to walk the dog. Low stress cooking. Everyone happy. Lovely day. Ate what I fancied: a bit of everything except mashed potatoes (NWTC). Hoping to NW tomorrow after putting Hobbes on train back to University.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, IvyInFlorida said:

Morning workout done--kicking drill focusing more on skill and improving technique rather than intensity.  Ended up being about 400 kicks of various kinds over about 45 mins.  This afternoon will be yardwork at my parents, which is usually fairly strenuous. 

My hands are a little beat up after yesterdays' kb swings--I've got blisters UNDER my usual lifting callouses, ugh! 

Ouch!!! When I went to the obstacle course in August I ended up with blisters in the middle of my palm, I wasn't expecting that, like you I have decent callouses already, blisters HURT.  Have fun working outside. 

1 hour ago, Laura Corin said:

@wintermom great news about the move. I like Colorado, although I've not been to CS.

Celebrating Thanksgiving. Took time to walk the dog. Low stress cooking. Everyone happy. Lovely day. Ate what I fancied: a bit of everything except mashed potatoes (NWTC). Hoping to NW tomorrow after putting Hobbes on train back to University.

Happy Thanksgiving day, sounds like a lovely day. 

I had a good lifting session with my friend, started out my endurance was crap but I got woke up in the night due to a horrible storm, took forever to get back to sleep and was just in a nice deep sleep when my alarm went off at 4:30. I'll be taking a nap after lunch.

Today was:

pulls and negatives from the box- started the first in a dead hang and was VerY close to getting my chin over, I'm finally back to where I was when I injured myself in July. I just got to keep at it, slow and steady and maybe I'll hit my Jan. 1st goal afterall. I can tell that I'm gaining strength, I just have to be patient and consistent and having a nice solid program is a must. 

landmine deadlifts; 

bent over rows

hanging leg raises

IYTs

farmer's carry- I've been doing these with 45# plates in each hand for a couple months now, today we decided to try the 50# dumbbells. Oh, my gravy, the gripping was so much harder it felt like it was 20# heavier. That is good grip practice, I couldn't go nearly as far, the handells on the dumbbells are so much bigger around and I cannot get my hand fully around them, it makes a big difference. I don't think I'd want to try it with those in a full gym just yet. I do need to mix up the dumbbells and barbells to vary the grip strength work, I need to throw in some pinch plate work again, I've not hit that in probably a month.

Today is Day 7 of using the precision nutrition rec's, it has been good so far. My appetite has been more steady through the week. I was having an issue of not being very hungry one day and starving the next. I've had times I wanted to eat but no times of being hungry, energy level has been consistent (as consistent as expected anyway being on period and sleep issues that I'm working to resolve). I'm anxious to see what next week holds. 

I'll be teaching the kids yoga this evening, have to video a class for a training I did, otherwise the only exercise will be work around the house or yard or walks until Monday morning.

• Like 2

Howdy - just dropping in to say I did a 5K on Thanksgiving and am back to TKD classes (have attended 3 in the past couple weeks).  Other than that I've been mostly bad in November, but I hope I will feel inspired to get back to yoga and walking and some conditioning.

• Like 4

No exercise at all yesterday. Dh and I drove a few hours to a funeral, and my abdomen was in discomfort the entire way. The seating position in a vehicle often causes me pain, so this is nothing new, just annoying. 

Tonight dh and I are playing doubles tennis with good friends. I'm really looking forward to it! I'll definitely play through any pain I may have. 😉

Food and weight are the same; still losing/not gaining. I'm down to 120 lbs - an all-time low for me as an adult. Could be due to the bile (or lack of) issue and my body not being able to digest fat. Who knows? 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, wintermom said:

No exercise at all yesterday. Dh and I drove a few hours to a funeral, and my abdomen was in discomfort the entire way. The seating position in a vehicle often causes me pain, so this is nothing new, just annoying. 

Tonight dh and I are playing doubles tennis with good friends. I'm really looking forward to it! I'll definitely play through any pain I may have. 😉

Food and weight are the same; still losing/not gaining. I'm down to 120 lbs - an all-time low for me as an adult. Could be due to the bile (or lack of) issue and my body not being able to digest fat. Who knows? 

I'm sorry about the funeral and the tummy ache 😞

Today is rest day from exercise but I'll be working around the house(as always). I'm looking ahead to next week. Last week I got in all my planned exercise but overall activity & steps were down due to period ickyness and holiday busyness. I hope to get my activity back up this coming week. I did up my average sleep score to 73, the highest it has been since I started tracking in October, hoping to get that even higher this week.

This week's goals and plans:

7 Morning Meltdown Workouts/3 Lifting workouts/1 walk/run (I'd like to hit 2 but aiming low)

Daily 10k+ steps, aiming for 77k

Hit Precision Nutrition Macos

7 hrs sleep minimum/75 sleep score average

Edited by soror
  • Like 3

Well I survived day 2 of the kettlebell challenge--dang, it about kicked my butt!  I didn't have a ton of energy for some reason, so my time was worse than the first one.  I'm glad I pushed myself to finish the whole thing, even though all I've wanted to do for the rest of the day is eat and sleep, lol.  The weather is supposed to turn cold tonight and stay that way (Florida cold, so like upper 50s for highs and upper 30s for lows)...getting out there for my HIIT circuit should be a good test of my discipline in the morning!

• Like 3

After a weekend of annoying dull ache of my gall bladder, I forgot about it completely the last 2 hours this evening while playing tennis. It was so much fun, and really fast paced. I may be in worse pain soon, but who cares! I'd much rather play tennis when I can than sit around feeling annoyed. Yay for physical activity! 😎

• Like 2

5 hours ago, wintermom said:

After a weekend of annoying dull ache of my gall bladder, I forgot about it completely the last 2 hours this evening while playing tennis. It was so much fun, and really fast paced. I may be in worse pain soon, but who cares! I'd much rather play tennis when I can than sit around feeling annoyed. Yay for physical activity! 😎

I'm sorry you're in pain, blah!  But you're so right!

• Like 2