Menu

What's with the ads?

soror

November Well-Trained Bodies

2 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Yesterday was good. I walked the dog for a couple of miles in the morning, then took my mum to lunch. I accidentally ordered a frittata with goats cheese which I don't like, so I just picked out the veg to eat. Later on I did my upper body and lower body Adriene combo, then went out for dinner (fish) and a concert with a friend. 

This morning I woke up snuffling, but I think that's just my weird post-exercise snuffle.  I feel as if my bingo wings are getting firmer, so that's good. Overall a good week. Four sessions of yoga, of which three focused on strength. Lots of brisk walking and meditation. My weight seems settled in a comfortable zone - I'm at 58.2 kilos this morning at 163cms. I was heading out to Nordic Walk this morning but there's some doubt about the timing of our family Skype, so I might miss the tide. Oh well, family first.

Have a great day!

:

Wait a second, are these the flappy things hanging down from my upper arms? I don't even play bingo! That's amazing!! I never knew what these were called. Thank you internet for the capability of linking up with so many international people. 😂

Glad your bingo wings are getting the extra support they need.;)  Keep up the good work with the bingo blotter and other exercise equipment.  And under the B.... some random number. It's been a while since I played the game. 

• Like 2

I'm off to work on my own bingo wings this morning on the tennis court. I'll keep a sharp look out for other bingo wings that haven't made it south for the winter.  😉  Love this term!!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, wintermom said:

I'm off to work on my own bingo wings this morning on the tennis court. I'll keep a sharp look out for other bingo wings that haven't made it south for the winter.  😉  Love this term!!

Even Judy Murray had a bingo wing event. I don't cover mine up but I'm happy to tone.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/shortcuts/2018/may/18/the-right-to-bare-arms-why-women-should-reject-the-tyranny-of-bingo-wings

• Like 2

14 hours ago, KathyBC said:

Attended my first Essentrics class today. It was nice mix: 60 minutes of stretching, work on balance and posture, enough strengthening exercise for a burn. It is a 20 minute drive, and I'm a reluctant winter driver to be sure, but midday on a Saturday is a good time, usually, so will try again in the coming weeks if I can.

Good for you! I did a class during my yoga teacher training and enjoyed it.

8 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Yesterday was good. I walked the dog for a couple of miles in the morning, then took my mum to lunch. I accidentally ordered a frittata with goats cheese which I don't like, so I just picked out the veg to eat. Later on I did my upper body and lower body Adriene combo, then went out for dinner (fish) and a concert with a friend. 

This morning I woke up snuffling, but I think that's just my weird post-exercise snuffle.  I feel as if my bingo wings are getting firmer, so that's good. Overall a good week. Four sessions of yoga, of which three focused on strength. Lots of brisk walking and meditation. My weight seems settled in a comfortable zone - I'm at 58.2 kilos this morning at 163cms. I was heading out to Nordic Walk this morning but there's some doubt about the timing of our family Skype, so I might miss the tide. Oh well, family first.

Have a great day!

:

Ya, for more muscle and weight maintenance. 

I nearly talked myself out of working out this morning but I made it through the workout and it was decent. 

I slept 7 hr 45 min last night!!! 

• Like 5

Tennis was really fun this morning. Afterwards we hosted our tennis friends back at our house for brunch. I usually get all uptight about trying to have a super tidy house before choosing to host. I simply did not have time to prep, but at least I had food ready to go.  My friend observed that we had a lot of stuff, and said she was a minimalist. Without batting an eye, I said, "We have collected a lot of stuff over the years, and we like to display it all." I didn't even notice all the "stuff on display" until after they left; 5 basketballs, garbage bag full of items to go to charity, half the dining room table covered in Magic the Gathering cards, all the boys' nerf guns waiting to be re-housed (about 50 weapons in bins). It must have been overwhelming to a lady with no children. She took it pretty well. 😂

• Like 3

Managed to fit in a really fast Nordic Walk today then did a bit of garden work. I spent some time on cooking so that I would have more time in the evenings to exercise. I made a dish for us to eat on Tuesday; I'll freeze the rest for when a veggie friend of my son's comes to stay next weekend. It's good, but it took a lot longer than the recipe said. I suspect some of the lentils and pearl barley were old and just took a while to soften. The ragu here https://www.theguardian.com/food/2019/nov/16/yotam-ottolenghi-mushroo-recipes-ragu-aioli-lasagne

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 2

On 11/11/2019 at 1:00 PM, wintermom said:

Awesome! I had a pre-lunchtime walk, which is good timing as it's snowing now. Do you have snow in your region yet?

I like your at-home exercise routine. I'm really impressed that you (and so many of the ladies on this thread) can get home exercise accomplished. If I wanted to do "puppy yoga" and get my faced licked and nibbled on, I could do at-home mat exercises. Some people pay lots of money to do "goat yoga" for good laughs. It does get tiring if the goat or puppy is always there, though, and you can never just do regular mat stretches.

In thinking about this today, I am really impressed by the amount of time so many posters spend on fitness each day, while doing full time work. I'm hoping your time management and commitment level rub off on me.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, KathyBC said:

In thinking about this today, I am really impressed by the amount of time so many posters spend on fitness each day, while doing full time work. I'm hoping your time management and commitment level rub off on me.

I'm not sure about the others, but I def gradually built up to the current amount of time I spend on it.  It started with a 1 hour class 2x a week and sloooowly built from there as I fell in love with working out and as I got better at fitting it into my life.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, wintermom said:

Tennis was really fun this morning. Afterwards we hosted our tennis friends back at our house for brunch. I usually get all uptight about trying to have a super tidy house before choosing to host. I simply did not have time to prep, but at least I had food ready to go.  My friend observed that we had a lot of stuff, and said she was a minimalist. Without batting an eye, I said, "We have collected a lot of stuff over the years, and we like to display it all." I didn't even notice all the "stuff on display" until after they left; 5 basketballs, garbage bag full of items to go to charity, half the dining room table covered in Magic the Gathering cards, all the boys' nerf guns waiting to be re-housed (about 50 weapons in bins). It must have been overwhelming to a lady with no children. She took it pretty well. 😂

I'm glad you weren't apologetic about your life and your stuff!  Your house sounds full of living, which is great.  All of my sons' Nerf weapons end up in the trunk of my van, which, incidentally, made me a really popular mom at the last kids' party we were at when I opened the trunk and said, "go for it!"  All the boys at the party were so happy, and they very respectfully put everything back when they were done!

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Have a great day!

LOL, I also love the Bingo wings terminology!  I hate those Bingo wings, so I've been on a mission to get rid of mine - I'd toned them up fairly well even before losing weight, with lots of lifting and rowing, but as I gain weight all over, not just my middle - which is nice in some ways because my pants size doesn't go up as much as you'd expect, but my arms were big enough around that I was tight in sleeves even for things that fit me elsewhere.  So much better now.  I've only got very little wing at all now if I just let them hang out to the side, and that goes away completely if I flex.  First time I've ever had definition in my arms - even when I was skinnier in my 20's I didn't have arm definition.  Decent enough that I'm now happy to wear sleeveless tops, which I thought would never happen.  Not sure if I can banish the bit of what's left, I think at this point it's excess skin from when they were much bigger...?  Still trying....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

LOL, I also love the Bingo wings terminology!  I hate those Bingo wings, so I've been on a mission to get rid of mine - I'd toned them up fairly well even before losing weight, with lots of lifting and rowing, but as I gain weight all over, not just my middle - which is nice in some ways because my pants size doesn't go up as much as you'd expect, but my arms were big enough around that I was tight in sleeves even for things that fit me elsewhere.  So much better now.  I've only got very little wing at all now if I just let them hang out to the side, and that goes away completely if I flex.  First time I've ever had definition in my arms - even when I was skinnier in my 20's I didn't have arm definition.  Decent enough that I'm now happy to wear sleeveless tops, which I thought would never happen.  Not sure if I can banish the bit of what's left, I think at this point it's excess skin from when they were much bigger...?  Still trying....

I love this, too!! When I would build up my push-up capacity for my black belt tests in Taekwon-Do, I'd get serious pipes. We had to do 250 push-ups. I'm not a fan of push-ups, so I never maintained this level for longer than I needed to for the test. 

In Norway they call biceps "Fish balls" (which are the equivalent of meatballs for kids, in Norway). I think that is appropriate. Let's just remove all negative and positive connotations of this body part, and have a little giggle. 😂  Who really cares how the things look anyway? Just get on enjoying life.

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, FarmingMomma said:

Finished up Morning Meltdown Phase 4 today, one phase (20 workouts) left!  

Congrats!! Are you still enjoying it? I'm on Phase 2 now, so far so good.

10 hours ago, KathyBC said:

I don't think most of us work FT jobs. I work a couple hrs a day, 6 days a week and homeschool my 3 girls. I'd also agree whatever your schedule it takes time to build up and different seasons will work differently. 

14 hours ago, wintermom said:

Good for you for being yourself, life with kids is a world different than without, we are naturally going to have more things. I try to keep things fairly tidy but it is not going to be as tidy as someone with less kids that are never home.

I'm just now 40, so no bingo wings yet!! I hope to continue strength training and avoid them the best I can.

Today's plan- 2 workouts after teaching; 10k steps

This week- I have 10 workouts planned- 7 Morning Meltdown and 3 strength training from Ultimate Pull-up Program (replacing strength work in MM except lower body workout)

I hope to continue with my streak of at least 10k days.

Overall I am feeling better than I did in early fall although sleep still needs work. I am trying a new supplement this week to see if it does better at helping me, melatonin improves my sleep but it is still not where it needs to be.

I am focusing hard on mindfully eating high-quality food, tweaking ratios for satiety. I am on the line of where I want to maintain and I know at times I am definitely eating a bit more than I need. I think part is just getting in the habit of eating more due to not feeling the best/lack of sleep/allergies etc but I need to sort it out. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, soror said:

I am focusing hard on mindfully eating high-quality food, tweaking ratios for satiety. I am on the line of where I want to maintain and I know at times I am definitely eating a bit more than I need. I think part is just getting in the habit of eating more due to not feeling the best/lack of sleep/allergies etc but I need to sort it out. 

This can be such a struggle at times, and that balance never seems to stay firm. Not to mention, everyone's different. Teen-age boys (and often girls) are always hungry, some people are never hungry, some can eat a horse everyday and stay as skinny as a broom (how is this even possible?), and some can eat like a bird and gain 5 pounds. It's crazy.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, soror said:

I don't think most of us work FT jobs. I work a couple hrs a day, 6 days a week and homeschool my 3 girls. I'd also agree whatever your schedule it takes time to build up and different seasons will work differently.

I do work full time, but both my boys are away from home - one working, the other still at university.  My husband is semi-retired and likes to cook, and we pay for a cleaner to come every fortnight.  So it's not so hard for me to carve out forty minutes at lunchtimes for a brisk walk and up to an hour after work most days to walk the dog/go to a class/do some yoga at home/Nordic Walk.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, soror said:

Homeschooling plus a couple hours a day sounds FT to me! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, wintermom said:

This can be such a struggle at times, and that balance never seems to stay firm. Not to mention, everyone's different. Teen-age boys (and often girls) are always hungry, some people are never hungry, some can eat a horse everyday and stay as skinny as a broom (how is this even possible?), and some can eat like a bird and gain 5 pounds. It's crazy.  

Yes, and thinks shift so much. I've always ate more than the average person but I (obviously) can't eat as much as when I was nursing and when I make that transition to menopause it will shift again. I felt I had a good handle on how much I was eating and maintenance this summer but after a fall with illness and busyness I feel somewhat out of sync.

18 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

I do work full time, but both my boys are away from home - one working, the other still at university.  My husband is semi-retired and likes to cook, and we pay for a cleaner to come every fortnight.  So it's not so hard for me to carve out forty minutes at lunchtimes for a brisk walk and up to an hour after work most days to walk the dog/go to a class/do some yoga at home/Nordic Walk.

It is a different season of life, I have more time and energy now that my youngest is 7 but they are in a busier time. I'm sure that transition time to kids out of the house is hard and then often there is helping care for elderly relatives, I know you are there with that one now. My FIL passed last year after a battle with cancer and that was rough and we weren't even caregivers.

24 minutes ago, KathyBC said:

Homeschooling plus a couple hours a day sounds FT to me! 

Depends on who you ask, feels busy enough to me! Ive been contemplating busyness and my schedule lately, this fall was just entirely too busy for me. I'm looking for ways to cut back from my outside commitments.

Fight Club 27 min done; moves from various martial arts; Core 25 min done

whole grain nut/seed gf bread w/ almond butter before work out; after workout 2 eggs and 1/2 cup plain steelcut oats + 1/2 blueberries + and 2 T pecans

Focusing on being attentive to portion sizes and eating slowly

• Like 2

1 hour ago, soror said:

It is a different season of life, I have more time and energy now that my youngest is 7 but they are in a busier time. I'm sure that transition time to kids out of the house is hard and then often there is helping care for elderly relatives, I know you are there with that one now. My FIL passed last year after a battle with cancer and that was rough and we weren't even caregivers.

I also have a different sense of urgency now.  I am more and more aware that I need to keep on top of my health and fitness: I don't heal as quickly as before, and I lose fitness quicker.  I have to make decent habits habitual.

• Like 3

I went for a really nice 1 hour walk with 2 friends. It was wonderful. Then some tea and more chatting afterwards while our boys played cards. We came up with the idea to crochet blankets together. One lady has a blanket that is gorgeous, extra heavy, but not too large. I want one! I think it will be a perfect combination to walk/hike/snowshoe, then crochet, drink tea and chat. I'm excited. 

Dinner was pretty tasty - for me! Fresh veggies, including 2 avocados. I'm stuffed. No one else ate anything except ds 17 who had an avocado. They are all meatatarians. 😉

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

I also have a different sense of urgency now.  I am more and more aware that I need to keep on top of my health and fitness: I don't heal as quickly as before, and I lose fitness quicker.  I have to make decent habits habitual.

I can only imagine, even at 40 exercise feels like it is much more required than optional. At 40 I'm already starting to lose muscle, it especially gets to me, that I have to work to *just* keep the muscle I have, to say nothing of trying to gain muscle. 

16 hours ago, wintermom said:

I went for a really nice 1 hour walk with 2 friends. It was wonderful. Then some tea and more chatting afterwards while our boys played cards. We came up with the idea to crochet blankets together. One lady has a blanket that is gorgeous, extra heavy, but not too large. I want one! I think it will be a perfect combination to walk/hike/snowshoe, then crochet, drink tea and chat. I'm excited. 

Dinner was pretty tasty - for me! Fresh veggies, including 2 avocados. I'm stuffed. No one else ate anything except ds 17 who had an avocado. They are all meatatarians. 😉

Oh, again I'm jealous, how lovely. I've got to work on cultivating friendships and hope to have some more time to enjoy friends in the spring with cutting back on other things.

2 avocados- I bet you are stuffed!

I woke up at 2:30 today, 3:30 yesterday was quite early enough, maybe I can squeeze in a nap. 2 girls have dentists appts today though, so it is iffy.

Cardio Meltdown/HIIT work this am- 30 min and I actually remembered to tell Fitbit I was exercising so it can more accurately track heart rate and calories. I need to be better about that because the auto recognize isn't the most accurate, it catches walks very well other things, not so much.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, soror said:

Cardio Meltdown/HIIT work this am- 30 min and I actually remembered to tell Fitbit I was exercising so it can more accurately track heart rate and calories. I need to be better about that because the auto recognize isn't the most accurate, it catches walks very well other things, not so much.

Fitbit doesn't believe I'm walking when I take my lunchtime walks - it assumes I'm running, then that messes up its idea of my fitness.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, soror said:

Oh, again I'm jealous, how lovely. I've got to work on cultivating friendships and hope to have some more time to enjoy friends in the spring with cutting back on other things.

I feel this.  For some reason, this is hardest season for me for friendships!  I think everybody else with school aged kids is just too dang busy.  I know I am!  But still it would be nice to have someone other than my mom and husband texting me, IYKWIM lol

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Laura Corin said:

Fitbit doesn't believe I'm walking when I take my lunchtime walks - it assumes I'm running, then that messes up its idea of my fitness.

Fitbit thinks I'm swimming when I do CKD...

I mean, come on, it's not like it's Tai Chi or something!

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, IvyInFlorida said:

I feel this.  For some reason, this is hardest season for me for friendships!  I think everybody else with school aged kids is just too dang busy.  I know I am!  But still it would be nice to have someone other than my mom and husband texting me, IYKWIM lol

Absolutely.  I went through a really fallow period for friends when the boys were younger - lots of acquaintances, no friends.  I now have two good friends - one from the choir that I attend, one from my former work.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, IvyInFlorida said:

I am sooooo fortunate to have some really amazing women still in my life on a regular basis. Most of them are from the homeschool world, and a few are building up from the tennis world. 

• Like 3

I went for a walk with the black lab. It was more of an errand run to my dr's office and then to the physio-therapy office. I brought his "guide dog in training" vest so I could bring him right into the offices. It was an excellent learning experience for him. He hasn't been around much loud traffic, elevators and big staircases lately. He's the wimpiest on staircases. He's always been afraid of stairs, though. Now he takes a look, a deep breath, and then races up. You have to hold on tight and go up along with him. I think this is probably the weak link that may cause him to "fail" the guide dog training. Dd will be thrilled if he becomes a "career change dog" aka fails the program. Then we can buy him and keep him forever! 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, IvyInFlorida said:

Yes, everyone is so busy, and if your kids don't do things togetehr it is hard to get the time.

11 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

You are a fast walker, I'd not want to race you! I've never had it think I was running but I'm not that fast.

3 minutes ago, wintermom said:

I went for a walk with the black lab. It was more of an errand run to my dr's office and then to the physio-therapy office. I brought his "guide dog in training" vest so I could bring him right into the offices. It was an excellent learning experience for him. He hasn't been around much loud traffic, elevators and big staircases lately. He's the wimpiest on staircases. He's always been afraid of stairs, though. Now he takes a look, a deep breath, and then races up. You have to hold on tight and go up along with him. I think this is probably the weak link that may cause him to "fail" the guide dog training. Dd will be thrilled if he becomes a "career change dog" aka fails the program. Then we can buy him and keep him forever! 

Oh, that would be bittersweet, I'm sure it will be hard to let him go.

I did get a little nap today and had a great workout. The gym was extra hot (no clue why) but I still did not overheat, I'm very pleased with that. At the end I walked 1.3 miles at an incline on the treadmill as I started early and worked pretty fast. 

I'm annoyed with the resting heart rate. It went up with the flonase and then went down 10 bpm after going off and I thought that was due to more cardio work and wearing it through bedtime but now it has been going back up. I don't get it. My endurance is improving. I'm tolerating higher heart rates. Pfft. I don't know if it is related to my sleep not being good.

I'm trying something new for sleep tonight, fingers crossed.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, soror said:

Oh, that would be bittersweet, I'm sure it will be hard to let him go.

I did get a little nap today and had a great workout. The gym was extra hot (no clue why) but I still did not overheat, I'm very pleased with that. At the end I walked 1.3 miles at an incline on the treadmill as I started early and worked pretty fast. 

I'm annoyed with the resting heart rate. It went up with the flonase and then went down 10 bpm after going off and I thought that was due to more cardio work and wearing it through bedtime but now it has been going back up. I don't get it. My endurance is improving. I'm tolerating higher heart rates. Pfft. I don't know if it is related to my sleep not being good.

I'm trying something new for sleep tonight, fingers crossed.

Yes, "giving up" the guide dog puppies is really tough, but we know going into this gig that they don't actually belong to us and they will enrich the lives of someone in need. That's a pretty good feeling. My ds's psychology prof is off getting training for her guide dog right now. And we usually take the option of having another guide dog puppy soon after one leaves! 😉 

Re: heart rate fluctuation: Have you studied the "normal" rise and fall of heart rate, and what can effect this, and when to be concerned? I haven't, but I'd be interested in finding out more. My HR can begin to race like a scared rabbit for no reason at all in the middle of the night (probably hormone related). After coffee, I'm sure it increases as well.  I've never used HR very closely as a training indicator. I'm not an elite athlete, and for me overall time of my event, or who had the most points, was usually all the info I cared about. 

I did wear a Holter monitor for a couple weeks last year, and apparently all my heart fluctuations were "normal" and good. I wore it playing tennis and got hit with a tennis ball 4 times. Luckily the Holter didn't get hit, but I was pretty worried about damaging it. I would have loved to see my HR during these times! 😂 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, wintermom said:

Yes, "giving up" the guide dog puppies is really tough, but we know going into this gig that they don't actually belong to us and they will enrich the lives of someone in need. That's a pretty good feeling. My ds's psychology prof is off getting training for her guide dog right now. And we usually take the option of having another guide dog puppy soon after one leaves! 😉 

Re: heart rate fluctuation: Have you studied the "normal" rise and fall of heart rate, and what can effect this, and when to be concerned? I haven't, but I'd be interested in finding out more. My HR can begin to race like a scared rabbit for no reason at all in the middle of the night (probably hormone related). After coffee, I'm sure it increases as well.  I've never used HR very closely as a training indicator. I'm not an elite athlete, and for me overall time of my event, or who had the most points, was usually all the info I cared about. 

I did wear a Holter monitor for a couple weeks last year, and apparently all my heart fluctuations were "normal" and good. I wore it playing tennis and got hit with a tennis ball 4 times. Luckily the Holter didn't get hit, but I was pretty worried about damaging it. I would have loved to see my HR during these times! 😂 

I'm hoping to see a decreased pulse due to increased cardiovascular fitness. I know I did have some wonkyness with my heart when I was in the midst of adjusting meds as thyroid affects the heart but it seems fluctuations are fairly normal now. I think I still tend to go higher easier, I don't know if that is b/c I need more work or due to the thyroid too. The NP did say the meds themselves can increase the HR, I don't know what I should aim for really, was just hoping for some numbers to back up what I'm feeling, although to feel better I guess is best thing, we'll see how it goes as I progress and see what happens as my sleep(hopefully) improves.

It is a wonderful service you guys are providing, truly, kudos to you!

30 min lower body work// 20 min restorative-stretching-yoga; Morning Meltdown

First night with new sleep supplement was not great. I had a horrible time falling asleep and did not sleep very deeply. Could have been a coincidence or maybe dosing or timing is off, I'll try it again tonight as see what happens.

Interesting thing re: heartrate and calories burned- Fitbit shows my calorie burn was almost identical for lifting as my heavy hiit session yesterday am, not totally surprising as I've known forever that my HR goes up fairly high while lifting. HIIT takes it higher but with lifting it is more steady.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, soror said:

I'm hoping to see a decreased pulse due to increased cardiovascular fitness. I know I did have some wonkyness with my heart when I was in the midst of adjusting meds as thyroid affects the heart but it seems fluctuations are fairly normal now. I think I still tend to go higher easier, I don't know if that is b/c I need more work or due to the thyroid too. The NP did say the meds themselves can increase the HR, I don't know what I should aim for really, was just hoping for some numbers to back up what I'm feeling, although to feel better I guess is best thing, we'll see how it goes as I progress and see what happens as my sleep(hopefully) improves.

It is a wonderful service you guys are providing, truly, kudos to you!

First night with new sleep supplement was not great. I had a horrible time falling asleep and did not sleep very deeply. Could have been a coincidence or maybe dosing or timing is off, I'll try it again tonight as see what happens.

Interesting thing re: heartrate and calories burned- Fitbit shows my calorie burn was almost identical for lifting as my heavy hiit session yesterday am, not totally surprising as I've known forever that my HR goes up fairly high while lifting. HIIT takes it higher but with lifting it is more steady.

Is your focus on HR during exercise and at rest something that your physician has recommended you do?  I have heard of studies where researchers used heart rate was as an indicator to help athletes returning to exercise post-concussion measure when the speed of their walking/running on the treadmill is within their "safe zone." 

What sort of system are you using to see if changes in your HR are significant (meaningful) and are changing due to exercise?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, soror said:

That's a bummer that you didn't sleep well!  I'm so sorry sleep is such a struggle for you.

I've always found it interesting that my Fitbit Flex 2  (which doesn't have a HR monitor) didn't have a lifting category and that it is pretty hard to find estimates of calories burned during lifting.  Then I was reading some articles written to a male audience basically explaining that, while men usually lift in a straight-set, methodical, slow tempo fashion with lots of rest breaks, if they want to lose fat they should train circuit style with almost no rest breaks and up tempo enough to keep the heart rate up, maybe even sprinkling in short periods of HIIT in between rounds.  Plus I guess it's fairly common for a lot of lifters to do more isolation work than compound movements.  I was like--well, that explains it!  I have always done my strength training like that just by accident.  I am usually pouring sweat and breathing hard the whole time and felt kind of cheated that my Flex didn't "count" that exertion!

• Like 2

I've had a very active few days and so I am considering taking a rest morning...not sure yet.  The first thing I saw on FB this morning was a motivational GIF about discipline and working out even when you don't feel it, LOL.  Which is true, but if you're an almost 40-year old woman with 5 hours of sleep and an allergy-induced sinus infection, you gotta take it with a grain of salt!  I keep having dreams that I'm drowning bc I can't breathe very well, ugh.

If I had endless supplies of money, I'd love to try out that WHOOP monitor I've been seeing folks use.  Supposed to tell you how well you are recovered, factoring in sleep and a bunch of other variables. 

Today at the very minimum I'll do some outdoor work at my parents' house.  Got some turkey burgers planned for lunch and cod for supper. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I went to a physio-therapist yesterday to have my neck muscles worked on. They were so sore that I was getting daily head-aches and couldn't sit comfortably in the dentist chair.  The session was amazing - it hurt, and there is still work to be done, but I finally feel like I have some answers to my pain and fuzzy head. My thoracic section of my spine is also very tight, which has probably led to over-compensating with my neck and lower back.  So I have stretches and strengthening exercises to do until my next appt. 

I'll be walking in the woods this afternoon with friends, and driving family members around for the day. 

• Like 3

Not getting too much exercise in this week so far: great Nordic Walk on Sunday and decent yoga class on Monday.  I did 13 minutes of strength yoga on Tuesday, but otherwise it's just been lunchtime walking.  I've had a good book to finish... and last night I was working on the getting the house spruced up as we have a viewing on Friday.  Tonight I'll be doing that again, then tomorrow I'll have the dog with me in the car at work (temperatures will be warm-ish) so I'll be walking her morning, noon and night. I have a yoga class booked for tomorrow at 6, so that should be a good day. 

I forgot to mention - I have a sit stand desk, and it's great!

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, IvyInFlorida said:

I've had a very active few days and so I am considering taking a rest morning...not sure yet.  The first thing I saw on FB this morning was a motivational GIF about discipline and working out even when you don't feel it, LOL.  Which is true, but if you're an almost 40-year old woman with 5 hours of sleep and an allergy-induced sinus infection, you gotta take it with a grain of salt!  I keep having dreams that I'm drowning bc I can't breathe very well, ugh.

If I had endless supplies of money, I'd love to try out that WHOOP monitor I've been seeing folks use.  Supposed to tell you how well you are recovered, factoring in sleep and a bunch of other variables. 

Today at the very minimum I'll do some outdoor work at my parents' house.  Got some turkey burgers planned for lunch and cod for supper. 

pfft, so many fitness memes are BS, yes you should work out consistently but you should also take breaks when needed. REcovery is part of it too, the thing is some need to be pushed to be more active and some to rest more

49 minutes ago, IvyInFlorida said:

That's a bummer that you didn't sleep well!  I'm so sorry sleep is such a struggle for you.

I've always found it interesting that my Fitbit Flex 2  (which doesn't have a HR monitor) didn't have a lifting category and that it is pretty hard to find estimates of calories burned during lifting.  Then I was reading some articles written to a male audience basically explaining that, while men usually lift in a straight-set, methodical, slow tempo fashion with lots of rest breaks, if they want to lose fat they should train circuit style with almost no rest breaks and up tempo enough to keep the heart rate up, maybe even sprinkling in short periods of HIIT in between rounds.  Plus I guess it's fairly common for a lot of lifters to do more isolation work than compound movements.  I was like--well, that explains it!  I have always done my strength training like that just by accident.  I am usually pouring sweat and breathing hard the whole time and felt kind of cheated that my Flex didn't "count" that exertion!

You know I don't even go super fast lifting but obviously fast enough for me. I always do compound movements though, which increase exertion level.

6 hours ago, wintermom said:

Is your focus on HR during exercise and at rest something that your physician has recommended you do?  I have heard of studies where researchers used heart rate was as an indicator to help athletes returning to exercise post-concussion measure when the speed of their walking/running on the treadmill is within their "safe zone." 

What sort of system are you using to see if changes in your HR are significant (meaningful) and are changing due to exercise?

My watch monitors resting heart heart and hr during exercise. I have nice little graphs showing what my heart rate does during exercise. 

15 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

Not getting too much exercise in this week so far: great Nordic Walk on Sunday and decent yoga class on Monday.  I did 13 minutes of strength yoga on Tuesday, but otherwise it's just been lunchtime walking.  I've had a good book to finish... and last night I was working on the getting the house spruced up as we have a viewing on Friday.  Tonight I'll be doing that again, then tomorrow I'll have the dog with me in the car at work (temperatures will be warm-ish) so I'll be walking her morning, noon and night. I have a yoga class booked for tomorrow at 6, so that should be a good day. 

Sounds like it will shape to be an ok wee to me. Good luck on the viewing. We are having a birthday party so I've been working on cleaning up around here too, although yesterday I spent all afternoon helping a friend clean up and organize at her new place.

Last night I fell asleep fine and slept pretty well but awoke at 2:50, sigh, way too early. I could have went back to sleep if I had more time, I was just getting tired again around 4 and that doesn't leave enough time when you get up at 4:30. 

Today is cardio work this am- about 25 min and lifting tonight. I want to walk in there too, might just be at the gym if I work quickly enough lifting. Def. plan a nap.

• Like 1

I went for my walk in the woods with friends this afternoon, and I am playing some doubles tennis tonight. 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 3

Had a good walk with the dog this evening. I drove to a nearby village and walked on a farm track across the fields. It was pitch dark, so it was nice to look back at the village lights and the headlights on the road.

I've scrubbed the house; Husband will do the finishing touches in the morning. His back isn't up to hoovering and shower cleaning, so I do all that.

• Like 4

Lifting tonight, then 1 mi treadmill walk at incline (10 most of the time), then I took dd3 to her TKD class had my protein shake and then went to do another walk as I didn't have any more errands. I did 1.5 miles that time at 10 incline again for most of it and then ran part of it. 

• Like 2

20 min yoga today, my last workout for phase 2 of morning meltdown. 

I am in an absolutely wretched mood and have no motivation to clean house, although I'm going to have tons of guests this evening. It is not horrible but there is plenty I wanted to do. UGH. Sleep was better last night as I went back to melatonin but I got to bed later and still work up at 3:30. I'm just exhausted and I've got PMS.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

42 minutes ago, soror said:

20 min yoga today, my last workout for phase 2 of morning meltdown. 

I am in an absolutely wretched mood and have no motivation to clean house, although I'm going to have tons of guests this evening. It is not horrible but there is plenty I wanted to do. UGH. Sleep was better last night as I went back to melatonin but I got to bed later and still work up at 3:30. I'm just exhausted and I've got PMS.

I'm seldom motivated to clean the house, and having guests over is about the only stimulant to make it actually happen. I usually feel happy afterwards, though. Enjoy your evening!!

• Like 2

All the snow is gone, and the ground is grey.

I'll go for a walk, on this windy day.

I'd be safe and warm, if inside I'd stay,

Netflix is streaming, on such an autumn day.

(And I need to finish my epison of "The Crown.") 😉 

• Like 3

Well, I didn't take a rest day Thursday like I was kinda planning to, and Friday I ended up regretting it when I discovered that gravity was inexplicably turned up too high during my first set of lifting and my back and all joints hurt.  Ugh!  I quit early and rested the remainder of the day.  I ate a ton of good food and got a lot of sleep, so now I'm feeling ready to take on my regularly scheduled workout again.

Between Thanksgiving and Christmas, I'm going to switch things up a bit for motivation's sake and try out T Nation's 10,000 kettlebell swing challenge.  There are 20 workouts, and each has 500 swings divided into clusters, alternating with a strength movement.  For instance, one day you would do 10 swings, 1 pull up, 15 swings, 2 pullups, 25 swings, 3 pullups, 50 swings.  Then repeat that circuit 4 more times.  Next training day would be the same, except exchange overhead press for pullups (or goblet squats or dips).  You time each workout and aim to complete workout 20 in less time than workout 1.  I normally don't like "X Week Challenges!" because they usually seem pointless or ego-driven, but this one sounds fun and makes fitness-sense to me.  And January through May will be much more martial arts focused as I ramp up towards my black belt test, so seems like a fun way to emphasize strength training at the end of the year.

• Like 3

I keep wanting to respond to some stuff on this thread, but haven't had much time to post or I'm on my phone where I'm too lazy to input much!

But, I just had to quickly share that I saw a new number on the scale this morning - 129.5!  Woot!  I'm not even sure when the last time was I saw a number under 130...!

Off to an OT workout now; hopefully I'll have some more time to post other stuff later!

• Like 5

@IvyInFlorida I love 'gravity turned up too high'. That's what I'll blame next time my yoga balances are extra-rubbish.

@Matryoshka well done on the new number! You and I weigh the same. It feels like a comfortable place for me.

Had a good three mile dog walk this morning, while the garage was putting on my winter tyres. The weather was dreich, but it didn't start to mizzle until the end. 

This evening we are going to a pop-up Persian restaurant. Before that, I'll try to get a strength yoga session in.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

I keep wanting to respond to some stuff on this thread, but haven't had much time to post or I'm on my phone where I'm too lazy to input much!

But, I just had to quickly share that I saw a new number on the scale this morning - 129.5!  Woot!  I'm not even sure when the last time was I saw a number under 130...!

Off to an OT workout now; hopefully I'll have some more time to post other stuff later!

YAY!  Congrats!

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

Congrats on the weight loss and have a great workout.

26 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

@IvyInFlorida I love 'gravity turned up too high'. That's what I'll blame next time my yoga balances are extra-rubbish.

@Matryoshka well done on the new number! You and I weigh the same. It feels like a comfortable place for me.

Had a good three mile dog walk this morning, while the garage was putting on my winter tyres. The weather was dreich, but it didn't start to mizzle until the end. 

This evening we are going to a pop-up Persian restaurant. Before that, I'll try to get a strength yoga session in.

a pop-up Persian restaurant sounds delicious! Good job on the walk, fingers crossed you can get in some yoga.

1 hour ago, IvyInFlorida said:

Well, I didn't take a rest day Thursday like I was kinda planning to, and Friday I ended up regretting it when I discovered that gravity was inexplicably turned up too high during my first set of lifting and my back and all joints hurt.  Ugh!  I quit early and rested the remainder of the day.  I ate a ton of good food and got a lot of sleep, so now I'm feeling ready to take on my regularly scheduled workout again.

Between Thanksgiving and Christmas, I'm going to switch things up a bit for motivation's sake and try out T Nation's 10,000 kettlebell swing challenge.  There are 20 workouts, and each has 500 swings divided into clusters, alternating with a strength movement.  For instance, one day you would do 10 swings, 1 pull up, 15 swings, 2 pullups, 25 swings, 3 pullups, 50 swings.  Then repeat that circuit 4 more times.  Next training day would be the same, except exchange overhead press for pullups (or goblet squats or dips).  You time each workout and aim to complete workout 20 in less time than workout 1.  I normally don't like "X Week Challenges!" because they usually seem pointless or ego-driven, but this one sounds fun and makes fitness-sense to me.  And January through May will be much more martial arts focused as I ramp up towards my black belt test, so seems like a fun way to emphasize strength training at the end of the year.

Live and learn, you figured out you needed a break and knocked off early on Friday, add in good sleep and food and that is a good recovery day.

You know I'm always a fan for mixing it up, sounds like a good program and I think that will be a good fit, if you aren't into it- that never works, that's why I floundered around so long. 

I laid around most of the day yesterday and then finally kicked it into gear a couple of hours before the party and got things done. I finished the day with just 10k steps but overall have had more this week and am on track to finish the week w/ 5k more steps than last and about the same number of active minutes (my workout schedule has been about the same so that is expected)

Today I'm working out with my friend, woot, woot. We're going to try the next phase of my pull-up program.

Edited by soror
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, IvyInFlorida said:

And January through May will be much more martial arts focused as I ramp up towards my black belt test, so seems like a fun way to emphasize strength training at the end of the year.

This is so exciting! Just be smart with your training as you approach your black belt test. You want to be injury-free and prepared, but injury-free is the top priority. I don't want to be a "Eeyore" type, but I knew so many adults that got injured on the road to their bb tests. It's so easy to do, and the time it takes to recover is just too long. These next 5 months will go by so quickly. 

• Like 2

I get to play in my indoor competitive league this evening with my regular ladies partner. I'm really looking forward to it! It's also sunny and pretty warm outside, so I'll fit in at least one walk. 

Other than that, I have my physio stretches and strengthening exercises to do. I finally busted open my tension band to do my strength stuff yesterday. It really humbles the self-concept when a little rubber band can be so hard on the muscles that are weak. 😕

• Like 3